SkyscraperCity Forum banner

The Diner | Northeast Off-Topic Discussion

199K views 467 replies 53 participants last post by  xzmattzx 
#1 ·
This thread is for random discussions and comments. This thread is like the Buffalo Non-Development Thread, except it will be easy for everyone to participate in any discussions in here.

Smoe suggestions as guidelines, if you don't know if something should go in here or not:

Things that belong in this thread:
"I saw a bear while driving through the mountains today."
"The ref made a bad call at the end of the Rose Bowl last night."
"Look what my senator has proposed:"
Random photos
And so on...

Things that would be good to have their own threads:
Population increase in the past year, migration between states, etc
Multiple pictures of a town or scenery
New skyscraper proposed in Maine
And so on...

Things that there are already threads for:
"How tall is the Comcast Center going to be when it's done?"
Chit-chat about the Buffalo area: a new restaurant, widening a road, etc
And so on...

See less See more
#3 ·
So does West Philadelphia High School qualify as the worst and/or most dangerous high school in the country?

West Philadelphia High erupts in violence
By Kristen Graham
PHILLY.COM

A small fire set in a classroom sparked another teacher assault at the West Philadelphia High School today.

The injured teacher was the eighth in two weeks to be assaulted at the school.

After a trash fire was set in a classroom, students were let outside to 48th street. Chaos erupted.

"Three students assaulted a 53-year-old teacher, punching him the face and knocking him to the ground," said police Capt. Michael Sinclair.

The teacher, a long-term substitute whose name was not released, was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. He suffered injuries to the face and jaw.

Students were taken inside but many chosed to skip school and left for the day.

#5 ·
There's a huge Baltimore-Washington area quiz show on NBC called "It's Academic" where typically the school's best a brightest compete. The team from DC's worst high school was on. Given the question "what is the capital of England" and 10 seconds to respond, the 3 best students at the school came up with nothing.

#7 ·
I bet you can take some of the best students at many much better schools across this country and they wouldn't be able to locate Texas on a map.

For some reason, American students seem to have a really big problem with geography...from whatever it stems from.

#15 ·
Yup, highschools dont teach geography any more. Well mine dosent. Half the kids in my class dont know where 90% of the countries are. They dont even know where CANADA IS.

Haha, once the teacher asked where did the tsunami hit and to point it out on a map. Some kid pointed to Madagascar.

#16 ·
Well, there was that dumb woman on that stupid new gameshow that won $50,000 for not knowing the US has a longer border with Canada than it does with Mexico! So not only are they stupid, but we're rewarding them for it!

Though, I don't recall my school teaching it either. I probably learned most of what I know on my own.

#29 ·
Hey everyone, behold the BuiltBuffalo forums! :banana:
www.builtbuffalo.com/forums/

That place i've been talking about where people can discuss all things urban/development/ect. having to to with Buffalo and the surrounding area. Even da Cheektowaga der.

Feel free to stop by and pay a visit.

Edit: Oops, I meant to post this in the Buffalo non-development thread. Oh well, i'll leave it here for anyone actually interested in Buffalo :)

#30 · (Edited)
My post in the "Buffalo Non-Development Thread" got me thinking of recent teams and suggestions they had for names. Some were just ideas, some were finalists, some were supposed to be the names. Here's what I remember and what I came up with:

Phoenix Coyotes: Phoenix Scorpions
Arizona Diamondbacks: Arizona Coyotes, Arizona Phoenix, Arizona Rattlers
Tampa Bay Devil Rays: Tampa Bay Tarpons, Tampa Bay Sting Rays (their original choice, but a Hawaiian Winter League team owned the "Sting Rays" name)
Washington Nationals: Washington Senators, Washingotn Grays
Minnesota Wild: Minnesota Freeze, Minnesota Blue Ox, Minnesota Voyagers, Minnesota White Bears, Minnesota Northern Lights
Nashville Predators: Nashville Fury, Nashville Ice Fury (that would've been the worst name in the four pro leagues if they used that
Charlotte Bobcats: Charlotte Flight, Charlotte Dragons
Columbus Blue Jackets: Columbus Chill, Columbus Justice, Columbus Buckeyes, Columbus Mad Cows (half-serious)
Colorado Avalanche: Denver Cougars, Denver Black Bears [note: I first heard about the "Avalanche" moniker in the Buffalo News while staying in Canada, and in the announcement, the official name would be the "Colorado Rocky Mountain Avalanche". I have never seen or heard "Rocky Mountain Avalanche" used since that first announcement.]
San Jose Sharks: San Jose Blades, San Jose Waves, San Jose Breakers, San Jose Icebreakers, San Jose Golden Skaters, San Jose Breeze, San Jose Fog
Vancouver (Memphis) Grizzlies: Vancouver Mounties
Houston Texans: Houston Apollos (frontrunner for team's name until last few weeks before announcement), Houston Stallions, Houston Bobcats, Houston Wildcatters
Jacksonville Jaguars: Jacksonville Sharks, Jacksonville Sting Rays, Jacksonville Panthers (interesting, because Carolina would beat Jacksonville to the "Panthers" name), Jacksonville Admirals (most popular as voted by fans, but the front office over-ruled it)
Toronto Raptors: Toronto Hogs, Toronto Beavers, Toronto Bobcats, Toronto Terriers, Toronto Dragons, Toronto Grizzlies, Toronto Scorpions, Toronto T-Rex, Toronto Tarantulas
Tennessee Titans: Tennessee Presidents, Tennessee Copperheads, Tennessee Generals
Baltimore Ravens: Baltimore Americans, Baltimore Mauraders