daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Victoria

Old July 16th, 2014, 06:35 AM   #961
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 287

The details including the height were posted on www.urbanmelbourne.info and were taken from the plans.

Sponsored Links

Old July 16th, 2014, 09:14 AM   #962
shrewd.user

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
^not really eating me up.? im about offical heights as i cant add them CTBUH database without a plan or offical info.thus the question about rls.
ive always been into historical structres anyway. if there was a forum on chimneys and church towers, you wouldnt see me here much.
seen one tall bldg seen em all.

an excellent example of the human mind trying to resolve a cognitive dissonance.

Melbourneguy liked this post
shrewd.user no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #963
tower_dan

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozza View Post
Lol. Why would he care if it's still over 300m either way? It would be different if it was under 300m RL, and above 300m when measuring from ground, but with both measurements, it's still over 300m. I think yr reading into things too much
because EVERY melb tower seems to have its height scrutinised to within an Nth degree while any Sydney proposal is a jizzworthy feat of height and design even when its just an unapproved proposal.

No problem using the CTBUH database as a backup reason for the insistent excuse for asking but everyone can see through the jealousy, he hates that Melbourne proposals are glassy and regularly breaking the 200m mark whiel his home town 200m+ proposals are rare as tits on a bull.

and the "chimneys and churches" comment is utter rubbish, Cul is the 1st person to post about a modern proposal in Sydney and froth at the mouth about how amazing and ground breaking it is
tower_dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:18 AM   #964
lozza
Go Ahead.....Make My Day!

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower_dan View Post

and the "chimneys and churches" comment is utter rubbish, Cul is the 1st person to post about a modern proposal in Sydney and froth at the mouth about how amazing and ground breaking it is
I'm lucky like u I live in Melbourne. Happy days ey

We are indeed very lucky
lozza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #965
Tyson

Likes (Received): 182

To be fair Cul has posted a fair bit of stuff about chimneys in the past. Can't recall much about churches though. There is (or was) a chimneys thread around somewhere.
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #966
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
it just eats Cul up inside that wether its based on RL or not Melb is still kicking every citys ass in Oz and his hometown has to make due with getting excited about a 235m tower... 235m... pfft! we have about 14 proposals the eclipse that! its all about 250m+ now!
See Hobart has the countries tallest building !!!! umm it's on top of Mt Wellington but...
Old July 16th, 2014, 01:48 PM   #967
Definer

Likes (Received): 8

Boring wide ass tower. This thing need thinning down, movement and life. The scale and proximity to surrounding buildings needs revision. The developer will still get plenty of yield and make plenty of $$$ - lets not get to greedy - but time for MR Guy to get election donations so developer will get what they want.
Definer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:36 PM   #968
NN01

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definer View Post
Boring wide ass tower. This thing need thinning down, movement and life. The scale and proximity to surrounding buildings needs revision. The developer will still get plenty of yield and make plenty of $$$ - lets not get to greedy - but time for MR Guy to get election donations so developer will get what they want.
You're on your own here mate! Its a beautiful design! But each to there own
NN01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 03:16 AM   #969
Grampians

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
because EVERY melb tower seems to have its height scrutinised to within an Nth degree while any Sydney proposal is a jizzworthy feat of height and design even when its just an unapproved proposal.

No problem using the CTBUH database as a backup reason for the insistent excuse for asking but everyone can see through the jealousy, he hates that Melbourne proposals are glassy and regularly breaking the 200m mark whiel his home town 200m+ proposals are rare as tits on a bull.

well, I see your point, but I also see some merit in Cul's pride over some of the marquee office projects in Sydney...THEY ARE OUTSTANDING BUILDINGS, which we in Melb perhaps do not appreciate. so many are incredible architectural feats in IMPOSSIBLE SITES
Grampians no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:01 AM   #970
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 1700

You guys should see how Cul has gone on about Brisbane's 1 William Street tower! 1 William is 224m to roof and therefore 224m by Cul's standards. This is despite it being 260m to the tip of the admittedly rather thin architectural spire, which makes it 260m by CTBUH's standards. It also makes it the tallest UC in the country at the moment I believe, beating Pearl by all of 6 metres.

We Brisbanites begrudgingly accept the height of Harry Seidler's Riparian Plaza as being only 200m by CTBUH standards, as they don't consider the 50m spire/comms mast on top as being an architectural element (which honestly is a load of BS), so we expect 1 William to be considered a 260m tower by the same standards.
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 06:31 AM   #971
John_Proctor

Likes (Received): 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampians View Post
well, I see your point, but I also see some merit in Cul's pride over some of the marquee office projects in Sydney...THEY ARE OUTSTANDING BUILDINGS, which we in Melb perhaps do not appreciate. so many are incredible architectural feats in IMPOSSIBLE SITES
I find barangaroo shit boring - like a tall docklands although even docklands has a range of different looking buildings not just hte same boring building repeated ad nauseum.
John_Proctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:36 AM   #972
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Proctor View Post
I find barangaroo shit boring - like a tall docklands although even docklands has a range of different looking buildings not just hte same boring building repeated ad nauseum.
Tend to agree. I'm certainly not that excited by them, and wouldn't be if they were in Melb either.

For their position and the architect that designed them, you would expect more than the same thing dished up 3 times.

For me height is good only if the design is interesting and relates well to its surrounds. With this Queensbridge Tower proposal, the design is elegant and a work of art for the most part, but the podium is a major let down. If that was re-addressed, with less repetition in its design, I would see this as a stunning new addition to the city.
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:18 AM   #973
Matt777

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Proctor View Post
I think he is referring to the ones that have won all the awards, like 1 Bligh and Central Park. Barangaroo isn't pretty, just a MASSIVE financial center, but innovations and unique designs seem to be Sydney's MO now, height is still our domain. There are some great things happening at Barangaroo, but it's more how people will interact with the buildings, rather than how we as observers view them from a distance...

I hear a lot of firms are looking at the human interaction thing, how we live in and with the building now and into the future, not just a focus on how much profit can be made from boasting height or an aesthetic that can only be truly appreciated in a render or glossy marketing campaign.

sbx liked this post
Matt777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #974
NoshowwithoutPunch

All good. Happy with the direction in both cities, though Sydney does need more height and Melbourne does need more beauty in the designs. The problem with resi is no one person or body owns them, so no one to take pride in the external finish. Buying the unit off the plan, worrying only about the interior, and if the fly through looks good, the deal is done.

Whereas commercial needs to fit with the tenant's 'brand'.
NoshowwithoutPunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #975
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 766

I think it means if you build a building then duplicate it next door, then make an extra copy...the height limit is fuc#ed...just say'n.