search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:31 PM   #1
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3890

University of Tampa News and Development

Making Rooms To Grow At UT
By JANIS D. FROELICH, The Tampa Tribune

Published: July 21, 2007

DOWNTOWN - Although the dog days of August conjure up images of iced lemonade and a leisurely swing in a hammock, such will be the opposite at the University of Tampa.

When school opens Aug. 21 to freshmen and Aug. 27 for returning students, enrollment will hit a record for the 12th year straight. Upwards of 5,500 students will descend on the 100-acre campus on Kennedy Boulevard, where the Moorish minarets of the historic H.B. Plant Hall blend with modern dormitories and classrooms.

Six years ago, enrollment was at 1,500.

With the $45 million Stadium Center dormitory opening on Cass Street, students won't have to seek alternative housing in downtown hotels for the first time in about 10 years.

'We hope to keep it this way for one or two more years,' said Daniel Gura, UT's vice president of development and university relations.

Gura said the quaint campus, with its curvy brick streets and towering oaks on the banks of the Hillsborough River, could grow but won't without enough beds.

He's not saying the rooms at the inn weren't swell: For the past three years, about 200 students bunked at the Hyatt Regency Tampa, Two Tampa City Center.

At first, Gura said, students and parents were hesitant about the arrangement even though UT provided a shuttle service and resident advisers.

But after a while, he said, 'They'd get settled in and weren't easy to move.'

Last fall, the $14 million Kennedy Place, 404 W. Kennedy Blvd., opened for juniors and seniors. The 181 studio apartments have stoves, refrigerators and movable furniture. Students can go online and check on the progress of their laundry in the washing machines downstairs.

Gura said Kennedy Place is a joint venture with the landowners, who couldn't build on the small parcel because there was no parking space. UT eventually will own the property.

At the seven-story Stadium Center, project manager Paula Hooker said four students in two bedrooms will share a bathroom. There won't be kitchens.

The 448-bed dormitory at the far west end of the intramural field will feature eateries on its lower level, including Dairy Queen. Gura said UT will have 21 campus dining options.

In its 76th year, UT has built six dormitories since 1998. About 68 percent of its 4,500 full-time undergraduates live on campus.

But with beds, classrooms and parking spaces full, UT can accept only about 49 percent of applicants. Tuition is $9,850 a semester, excluding fees, books, room and board, and accounts for 98 percent of the school's funding.

Gura doesn't expect UT to grow anytime soon to the south, where railroad tracks present a natural boundary.

Parking also has expanded for the fall, with 800 parking deck spaces added for a total of 2,500.

'If you ask our faculty and staff, they'd say parking is a problem,' Gura said.

Parking is crucial in an urban environment, Gura said.

'We're primarily a residential campus, but this also limits our growth,' he said.

Reporter Janis D. Froelich can be reached at (813) 835-2104 or [email protected].

http://southtampa2.tbo.com/content/2...ow-at-ut/?news

Last edited by FloridaFuture; July 22nd, 2007 at 03:38 PM.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:41 PM   #2
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3890

University of Tampa Vice President for Development and University Relations Dan Gura and Project Manager for Design and Construction Services Paula Hooker oversaw the construction of the new West Parking Garage and the Stadium Center residence hall, both scheduled to open for the 2007 fall semester. Photo by KELVIN MA/staff

The West Parking Garage is one of the new buildings scheduled to be opened for the 2007 fall semester at the University of Tampa. Photo by KELVIN MA/staff

The Stadium Center residence hall, which will house more than 400 students, at right, is one of the new buildings scheduled to be opened for the 2007 fall semester at the University of Tampa. Photo by KELVIN MA/staff

The Stadium Center residence hall will feature room similar to this studio-style room at the Kennedy Place residence hall. Stadium Center is scheduled to open for the 2007 fall semester at the University of Tampa. Photo by KELVIN MA/staff

The Stadium Center residence hall, which will house more than 400 students, is one of the new buildings scheduled to be opened for the 2007 fall semester at the University of Tampa. Photo by KELVIN MA/staff
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:42 PM   #3
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1968

I wish UT good luck on their expansion plans. Having a campus that has no land to expand on is frustrating. This is the same reason why Plant H.S. is so overcrowded...no more land.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 04:54 PM   #4
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 38

I'm living in Smiley Hall! I can't wait to move in!
JBrisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:32 AM   #5
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 261

UT has always (and will continue to have) top-notch student facilities.

I wish my dorm was as clean as the one shown above (though I do get an 8th floor view of the Oakland and SF skylines in exchange...)
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:46 AM   #6
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 935

I didn't know they had to put students in hotels since the campus was so ocercrowded, that sucks. But this is great news!

Hey Maxim, what are you studying for?
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:57 PM   #7
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPortRicheyGuy View Post
I didn't know they had to put students in hotels since the campus was so ocercrowded, that sucks. But this is great news!

HEY! Some of the dorms suck, like the one I'm in.
The overflow Hotel is the HYATT downtown, which is AMAZING, I had a friend who stayed there, and his roommate quit at the beggning so he had his own bathroom, and his own room.
But yeah. I'm trying to get switched into Austin Hall with my friend, dunno if it'll happen, but Smiley Hall is disgusting.
Old July 26th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #8
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1968

Smiley Hall sounds to be horrible. I have a friend attending UT right now and I have no clue if he is living on campus.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #9
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 93

UT sure has someone at the top that knows what they are doing. Fantastic for the school and the city of Tampa.

Back in the early 90's all the old dorms at UT were rat infested, horrible places. I remember the dirt and smells....urine, vomit etc.... At least all the ones I ever visited. I am sure they ranked right up there with the worst in the country.

Anyhow, great turn around for the University. Plant Hall has always been a place to be proud of and now the rest of the campus fits too.
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #10
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 93

Here are a couple pictures from accross the river I took during the Gasparilla art festival:

cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #11
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat212 View Post
UT sure has someone at the top that knows what they are doing. Fantastic for the school and the city of Tampa.

Back in the early 90's all the old dorms at UT were rat infested, horrible places. I remember the dirt and smells....urine, vomit etc.... At least all the ones I ever visited. I am sure they ranked right up there with the worst in the country.

Anyhow, great turn around for the University. Plant Hall has always been a place to be proud of and now the rest of the campus fits too.
Smiley hall has cockroaches smells bad and has rats.
Which is ironic, they call Smiley, the traditional dorm hall lol.
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #12
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPortRicheyGuy View Post

Double majoring in urban studies and architecture at UC Berkeley... though I'm not sure if I'll keep the urban studies major. Depends on the course work. I'm conflicted as I'm extremely passionate about Art History....

Too bad about Smiley Hall, as the rest that I've been in have all been quite nice.
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 05:23 AM   #13
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 935

University of Tampa News and Development

UT building new health center, labs, classroom
By GEORGE WILKENS | The Tampa Tribune
Published: February 11, 2010

TAMPA - Construction of a new University of Tampa Student Health Center and an academic building will begin next month, with both two-story projects scheduled for completion in time for the fall semester.

The health center will replace one housed in a remodeled office acquired by the university in 1997, when enrollment was 2,800, said university spokesman Eric Cardenas. Today, with 6,300 students, 1,000 patients visit the health center monthly during the academic year, he said.

At 10,300 square feet, the new medical facility will dwarf the existing one of 1,800 square feet. It will have eight examination rooms, a triage area, a pharmacy, a waiting area, holding rooms, staff offices and space for counseling individuals and groups.

The project is funded partly by a gift from Stephen and Marsha Dickey, Cardenas said. A UT board member, Stephen Dickey is CEO/president of eight Doctor's Walk-In Clinic locations in the Tampa area.

The existing center, at 111 N. Brevard Ave., will be demolished to make room for its replacement. The health center's staff has moved into a modular facility on the university's newly acquired property on Kennedy Boulevard and will work from there until the new facility opens in September.

"The new facility will allow our staff to provide health services more efficiently and effectively and will enhance students' overall experience at UT," said Bob Ruday, dean of students. "We'll be able to see more patients, and they'll have more privacy."

The other project, an 8,000-square-foot building on a vacant site near the Cass Building, is the initial phase of a broader plan to expand academic facilities, according to university President Ronald L. Vaughn.

"This new facility will enhance the University of Tampa's strong presence in biology and chemistry and certain pre-professional programs, and will serve as the foundation for future possible construction," Vaughn said in a prepared statement announcing the projects.

The academic building, scheduled to open in August, will provide state-of-the-art chemistry and biology laboratories, faculty offices and a 35-seat classroom. The classroom is designed for future conversion to a 20-station instructional lab.

University Provost Janet McNew said this addition to the Cass science complex will provide quality laboratory classroom and research space, "needed for our fast-growing programs in the College of Natural and Health Sciences."

Both buildings will feature a design, appearance and style consistent with others on campus. The university will pursue certification for both through the U.S. Green Building Council Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design program.

Project costs have not been released.

http://centraltampa2.tbo.com/content...lassroom/news/
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #14
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

With how limited land is in and around the UT campus, I'm surprised that this project isn't being done as one 4 story building, or even a 5-6 story building with some space for other future needs. Or even several floors of dorm rooms (which UT is in perpetual need of)... Leave the other plot for future needs. The cost difference between two 2 story buildings or one 4 story building would surely be within their budget range.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #15
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

They're probably gonna knock down the old dorms to build bigger ones, and densify the campus more... I mean did you see where the chapel is?
Old December 28th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #16
Casey

Likes (Received): 211

UT starts redevelopment of Valencia Garden property
Date: Monday, December 27, 2010

For the first time since World War II, Tampa mayoral candidates will campaign without hand shaking and backslapping inside the Valencia Garden restaurant on Kennedy Boulevard.

The city’s iconic lunch spot, a long-time favorite for business and political leaders to meet, greet and eat, is being torn down Monday, 19 months after its front doors were padlocked. By Tuesday afternoon the building should be reduced to ruble and memory.

The University of Tampa is clearing two and a half acres bordered by Kennedy, Brevard Avenue, North A Street and North Boulevard for an undetermined future use. The restaurant’s owners, Tampa’s Agliano family, sold the property in multiple transactions with UT and the Bailey Family Foundation for about $10.8 million, government records show.

Rick Ogorek, vice president for administration and finance at UT, said the decision to demolish the building was not taken lightly.

“Whatever is built on this block will certainly be an improvement to the neighborhood and to the Kennedy Boulevard corridor,” Ogorek said in a statement. “And it will be of a size, scale and design to benefit future UT students and the city of Tampa. We’re excited for what is to come.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...-valencia.html
Casey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:44 PM   #17
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 53

http://www.tampabay.com/news/educati...ilding/1173147

UT expansion includes addition, new building

TAMPA — Two construction projects will add 57,000 square feet to the Bob Martinez Sports Center at the University of Tampa, school officials said Wednesday.

The two-phase project, funded mostly by gifts, includes adding a second story to the existing center that faces N Boulevard, and later constructing a two-story building on the southwest corner of the center.

Crossroads Construction of Lakeland will build the first phase, which includes 19 offices, eight classrooms and six labs. The addition is expected to completed by early 2012.

The second phase is expected to house the ROTC program as well as an athletics training facilities. A contractor has not been determined, but officials said it will be done by fall 2012.

Current programs at the center will not be disrupted.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #18
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 53

I saw some work here the other day, looks like a big project.

UT to Break Ground on New Residence Hall

In the midst of continued record-breaking enrollments, The University of Tampa has announced it will break ground immediately on its largest residence hall on a site that borders Kennedy Boulevard. The proposed residence hall will rise 11 stories and will include 523 beds for undergraduates. It is set to be completed in August 2013.

The as-yet-unnamed residence hall — temporarily designated as Residence Hall VII — will be located on the eastern side of the block bound by Kennedy Boulevard to the south, North A Street to the north, North Boulevard to the west and North Brevard Avenue to the east. Its main entrance will face North Brevard Avenue. Construction will begin immediately.

In addition to two residential suites, the 11th floor will include two large community rooms with sweeping views of Tampa Bay, primarily for student use.

The new, 193,000 square-foot hall will reflect the latest in university campus amenities. Each room will be suite-style with a common living room, four single bedrooms and two full bathrooms. All rooms will be cable and network ready. The residence hall also has several lounges and student gathering spaces, as well as a laundry room and common kitchen.

The proposed design indicates the building will blend with the architecture of the campus, with red brick, stucco and glass. An adjacent park and courtyard will complement the facility.

"Our strong demand for on-campus housing, coupled with our increasing enrollment, has led us to be proactive in providing additional, high quality on-campus housing for students,” said Ronald L. Vaughn, president of UT. “More and more students want to attend UT and live on our dynamic downtown campus. This new construction represents our continued effort to provide an exemplary academic and co-curricular experience for them.”

Construction of the residence hall, including furnishings, is estimated at $38 million.

About 65 percent of full-time UT students live in campus housing. For the past several years, UT students have been housed in area overflow hotels.

Residence Hall VII will represent the 25th new or substantially redesigned facility on UT’s campus in the past 15 years, and the seventh new residence hall in the same period. The campus’ physical growth comes as a result of significant enrollment expansion that has quadrupled over the last 17 years to 6,738 total students in 2011-12. The University has invested more than $280 million in new construction since 1997.

The parcel where Residence Hall VII will be built was purchased in 2009. For many years it was the site of the Valencia Garden restaurant.

The building roof includes a solar array that will supply hot water to the building. In alignment with UT’s commitment to environmental stewardship, the building will be designed and constructed to be a candidate for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification of the U.S. Green Building Council.

The Beck Group construction firm has been named to build the residence hall.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #19
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

Another 200+ feet of fencing along Kennedy. Love it.

UT is such a joke. They've wasted millions of dollars acquiring property because of their haphazard development style, and contrary to the quote in post #4, have managed to trash a valuable zone to the west of downtown.
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:52 AM   #20
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 556

Also something is u/c on the side of Kennedy near the Falk Theatre. Part of the university? I didn't think there was any space left in there but apparently there is. Anybody know what this is?
Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote