search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #121
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 923

I think everyone has this notion that Kennedy is UT's border and that everything that goes there must be UT property, now or in the future.

UT is a private university, not private property. I've walked on the campus lawns numerous times, to get pics or just walk through the rundown park they have along the water. Again, the fence serves no purpose whatsoever but to keep with the fabric of the school. The fence has been there for decades, I just don't think that the school's property has to all be walled off from the streets.

Sooner than later, the school will have to raze existing buildings and build up. Mainly buildings along North Blvd., 1 story buildings on land that can handle 10-15 story buildings. It would be nice to have an understanding of what UT has planned in the future. Honestly, it would be nice to have an understanding on many things. Current enrollment numbers, where they expect to be 5 and 10 years for now, do they have plans to expand beyond the rail lines, do they have plans to demolish any existing building/s for future expansion, etc. Really should be something that the city should sit down with and understand. And at the same time, maybe suggest that the university add retail to future projects. Add a store that sells school clothing, blankets, plush dolls, hats, etc.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
TampaMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #122
smiley

Likes (Received): 560

It is not "entitled" except by the fact that it might buy the land. I just don't expect a college/university to build stuff for the general public. That has not been my experience. Most universities I have seen front a main road with retail/town on the other side. It is just not that surprising to me.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.

smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #123
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

You would think at least UT would encourage developers to build retail on the opposite side of the campus. I don't see that happening, even after the success of Oxford Exchange.

Old December 27th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #124
USF802

Likes (Received): 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
Sooner than later, the school will have to raze existing buildings and build up. Mainly buildings along North Blvd., 1 story buildings on land that can handle 10-15 story buildings. It would be nice to have an understanding of what UT has planned in the future. Honestly, it would be nice to have an understanding on many things. Current enrollment numbers, where they expect to be 5 and 10 years for now, do they have plans to expand beyond the rail lines, do they have plans to demolish any existing building/s for future expansion, etc. Really should be something that the city should sit down with and understand. And at the same time, maybe suggest that the university add retail to future projects. Add a store that sells school clothing, blankets, plush dolls, hats, etc.
http://www.ut.edu/uploadedFiles/Alum..._UTJournal.pdf

So this journal is slightly old (2008), but it provides somewhat of an idea to their master plan, albeit, for a tiny portion of the campus. Not sure how this still holds, but the Sykes chapel is in there and that has recently been completed.

As for retail, this new garage expansion has the potential for a great retail location. Granted it's not fronting Kennedy, but nevertheless throw in something like a Dunkin Donuts or whatever at the base and have it face N. Blvd. I mean lets face it, Kennedy from the tracks to the river is dead for any retail options, so this new garage expansion and along N. Blvd should be where retail is added if it's going to be anywhere. UT really lacks food options, so anything food related would be liquid gold for whoever could set up shop.

*edit* I was just reading that 16,125 people applied for UT this past semester and only 1,516 were accepted. Not only is UT becoming more competitive and selective which is good for UT and the Tampa area. But what really stands out is the fact 16,000 people applied to UT, really shows the demand for UT. Pretty crazy numbers considering their historical enrollment figures.

Last edited by USF802; December 27th, 2012 at 04:21 AM.
USF802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #125
soholivin

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF802 View Post

So this journal is slightly old (2008), but it provides somewhat of an idea to their master plan, albeit, for a tiny portion of the campus. Not sure how this still holds, but the Sykes chapel is in there and that has recently been completed.

As for retail, this new garage expansion has the potential for a great retail location. Granted it's not fronting Kennedy, but nevertheless throw in something like a Dunkin Donuts or whatever at the base and have it face N. Blvd. I mean lets face it, Kennedy from the tracks to the river is dead for any retail options, so this new garage expansion and along N. Blvd should be where retail is added if it's going to be anywhere. UT really lacks food options, so anything food related would be liquid gold for whoever could set up shop.

*edit* I was just reading that 16,125 people applied for UT this past semester and only 1,516 were accepted. Not only is UT becoming more competitive and selective which is good for UT and the Tampa area. But what really stands out is the fact 16,000 people applied to UT, really shows the demand for UT. Pretty crazy numbers considering their historical enrollment figures.
13,000 of those applicants just wanted to get out of the NE cold and in the florida sun

UT alumn '04

soholivin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:24 AM   #126
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF802 View Post

Saw that when my father's alumni mail came in from UT. Clearly doesn't show everything since the lacrosse field, new residential building, and future parking garage isn't included in the picture.

With the addition of new degrees, the enrollment numbers will just increase. Wonder how many were declined not due to application but space in the school.

Old January 29th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #127
USF802

UT's lacrosse field is essentially done, just some minor things left to do including the fencing fronting Kennedy.

Old February 13th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #128
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Looking at the Hillsborough County Property Appraiser site again, it looks like UT started it's trek across the rail line on December 27. They bought a small triangle-shaped plot of land between the train tracks and Willow Ave.

No doubt they are in talks for adjacent property to the north.

Old February 14th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #129
ATampaArnold

Likes (Received): 128

I think that was so they can put a sign to introduce the university of tampa on that lot

ATampaArnold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #130
USF802

Interesting, I was always assuming that the tracks was their western boundary and they wouldn't bother going across them. Perhaps their goal is to expand out to N. Willow Ave. but that would require a ton of decent sized businesses to be bought up. I would think it would be cheaper to just increase density on the land they currently have.

Old November 1st, 2013, 10:21 PM   #131
USF802

UT Announces New Academic Building and Parking Garage Expansion

In an effort to support academic and administrative space needs, and to provide additional parking, The University of Tampa has announced it will build a new, seven-story, multiuse structure on campus. The building will include three floors of academic and administrative space, including a new, state of the art home for UT’s Sykes College of Business Entrepreneurship Center, and four floors of parking.

The structure will extend from the Thomas Parking Garage on campus. The building will be built to bridge over North A Street, and onto the open lot just west of the new residence hall.

The three stories of the new facility — approximately 60,000 square feet — will house additional classrooms, faculty offices, student meeting and study areas, a Campus Safety Center and the Entrepreneurship Center. The new facility will also enlarge the Thomas Parking Garage by 400 spaces to accommodate a total of 1,200 parking spots.

And, for UT students needing a late-night coffee break, a café with indoor and outdoor seating will be situated on the first floor.

The Campus Safety Center will also be situated on the first floor as a highly visible and accessible space for the Office of Campus Safety. The center will include a lobby, meeting and interview rooms, video monitoring room, evidence processing space and a 24-hour dispatch center. It will be equipped with functionality to respond to any incident on campus.

Classrooms in the new building will be constructed with active learning in mind, with built-in multimedia projectors, A/V systems and flexible seating arrangements.

The Entrepreneurship Center will be creatively designed to bring together prospective student entrepreneurs, educators and experienced executives to generate, define and develop entrepreneurial concepts and to launch new ventures.

“With this facility we hope to carve out a unique educational niche for interaction between UT’s entrepreneurially minded students and the Tampa Bay entrepreneur community,” Vaughn said. “This strong entrepreneurial environment will keep more bright young minds in the Tampa Bay area after graduation and contribute to economic development and startups in the region.”

The parking garage expansion is expected to be completed in late 2014. The academic and administrative spaces are expected to be completed in early 2015.

Construction of the building will be paid for through individual gifts and University funds.

In alignment with UT’s commitment to environmental stewardship, the building will be designed and constructed to be a candidate for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification of the U.S. Green Building Council. The new building will also be enhanced by a manicured park with seating and a water feature.

The Beck Group has been named to design and build the new structure.

http://www.ut.edu/content.aspx?id=21409

Last edited by USF802; November 2nd, 2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 08:56 PM   #132
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

"That building looks awesome"... said 1970.

sam06pr, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 04:50 AM   #133
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

I know UT has somewhat gone off their architectural style with the new Residences Hall and other recent projects, but this is like the other side of the spectrum when it comes to architecture.

Old November 3rd, 2013, 11:35 AM   #134
Casey

Likes (Received): 197

Perhaps it's a result of having the construction company doing both the design and the construction, instead of hiring an architect for the design.

Casey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 07:44 PM   #135
densitymatters

Likes (Received): 770

I like it

densitymatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 02:12 AM   #136
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2458

Looks like 4 floors of parking sandwiched between 2 floors of office below and one above? Odd arrangement, if that's the case.

And they should have made it bigger. UT keeps developing these small to mid-sized buildings which barely meet their current needs, which has in turn left the campus in a near-constant state of upheaval as building after building goes up to try and meet demand.

Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 03:20 AM   #137
USF802

Agreed, currently parking at UT is an absolute disaster. Adding 400 spaces seems more like a temporary fix, if anything. Especially if they continue the trend of adding about ~100 students every semester. They really just need a whole new garage, that or have freshmen not be allowed cars, like many other universities.

They are quickly running out of room to grow horizontally, eventually they are going to have to start going more vertical on every project.

Old November 4th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #138
miketpa

Likes (Received): 7

didn't the city of Tampa build a similiar looking parking garage in the 1970's or so and name it Fort Brooke?

miketpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #139
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1968

Ft. Brooke parking garage, yes. But that's a DT Tampa parking structure.

It was expanded vertically from 6 to 10 stories in the early 2000s, about the same time the old people mover was demolished.

HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #140
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2458

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketpa View Post
didn't the city of Tampa build a similiar looking parking garage in the 1970's or so and name it Fort Brooke?
Lol... Exactly!

Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote