search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Reilly08

Likes (Received): 0

West Tampa/North Hyde Park Development News

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows what is being built next to the Vintage Lofts at West End? The fenced in area has been surveyed (between W. Lemon and Cypress st. on N. Oregon Ave.) and the residents have been emailed that the land has been sold and construction will start at the end of the year. I have not been able to find any info on it.

Thanks
Reilly08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #2
Casey

Likes (Received): 215

I read somewhere recently that a new phase of apartment construction next to West End was moving forward. Not sure if that's what you're referring to tho.
Casey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #3
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

The new project I know of is south of West End. In total it is 300+ units spread out over several three-story buildings and one four-story building.

I'm not sure what's happening on the aforementioned site to the east, however?
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #4
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

No idea here. I only heard something about the apts Koop just mentioned.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #5
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 941

This is the travesty you are looking for. No retail, parking lot, and the park can only be expected to be a let down. Allow ULI to come to town and tell you how to properly build an urban city, but then you approve sh!t like this Tampa?

http://www2.tbo.com/news/community-n...-pa-ar-406244/
Old September 7th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #6
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
This is the travesty you are looking for. No retail, parking lot, and the park can only be expected to be a let down. Allow ULI to come to town and tell you how to properly build an urban city, but then you approve sh!t like this Tampa?

http://www2.tbo.com/news/community-n...-pa-ar-406244/
Do you know where the parking lot is going? Lots of street parking is a small plus and West End has a garage at least. It's a decent bit out of downtown with nothing tall around, anything over 5-6 would stick out quite a bit. Not as bad as those apartments going up in Channelside, which are already a sore thumb. As for retail, that sucks but it's also a matter of the neighborhood. Other than West End there's not much around besides warehouses.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #7
koopalicious

Sorry about the quality.

Old September 7th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #8
smiley

Likes (Received): 564

sweet.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #9
smiley

Quote:
Allow ULI to come to town and tell you how to properly build an urban city, but then you approve sh!t like this Tampa?
Because ULI is just an organization politicians can hide behind. What makes you think ULI can present any special ideas that you cannot easily come up with? They are a time wasting tool because the politicians don't have the guts/desire to do what needs to be done.
I contain multitudes.

Old September 7th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #10
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley View Post
sweet.
Not really.

Gray St is closed strictly so the developer acquire a bunch of free land. Developer claims that neither he nor anyone else will be able to develop these parcels without handing over Gray St free and clear too. (yeah, BULLSHIT)

The developer is proposing zero retail, intends to fence/gate the development, and intends to use surface parking throughout the project. The problem there being the way the surface lots would be arranged precludes future redevelopment without knocking down structures too.

This is yet another SUBURBAN solution being plopped down in an URBAN location.

And sadly, it's getting built as-is. The developer recently closed on the land.
http://www.review.net/section/detail...rtment-project

Last edited by Jasonhouse; September 7th, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old September 8th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #11
koopalicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
The developer is proposing zero retail, intends to fence/gate the development, and intends to use surface parking throughout the project. The problem there being the way the surface lots would be arranged precludes future redevelopment without knocking down structures too.
Where do you see this?

This isn't a five-star project by any means, but the parking is mostly interior and it is adding a significant number of units to the area at a density similar to what was proposed in the original West End vision.

Bottom line: Combined with what was finished of the West End project, we're looking at over 500 residential units where there was basically nothing before. I'll take it.
Old September 8th, 2012, 05:14 AM   #12
smiley

I was being sarcastic. It sucks.
I contain multitudes.

Old September 8th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #13
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^lol! I love you man, rhetorically speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopalicious View Post
Bottom line: Combined with what was finished of the West End project, we're looking at over 500 residential units where there was basically nothing before. I'll take it.
Bottom line, that's why Tampa is the way it is.
Old September 8th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #14
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 941

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopalicious View Post
Where do you see this?

This isn't a five-star project by any means, but the parking is mostly interior and it is adding a significant number of units to the area at a density similar to what was proposed in the original West End vision.

Parking is mostly interior? Look at the render you posted, a good size of the project here is covered in a parking lot. They removed a part of Gray St., for parking. This project represents nothing of urban living. Deserted of any retail to accommodate potentially 400+ residents that move in here and the surrounding community. Parking lot instead of using less land by building a parking garage and wrapping it around with residential units. Heck, it doesn't even connect sidewalks around the damn project because there is parcels of land they still don't own. That green patch on the northeast side isn't the whole park, because they don't own that!

As someone that has hoped the city would turn over a new leaf, spend money on ideas how to improve, and hopefully do what ULI suggests to them; no, I won't take it.

And smiley, that's the problem. I know that many of the suggestions that came from ULI is pretty much everything we have ranted on before and do so now. But it's one thing to take the criticism of any of us and ignore it, it's another to ignore the suggestions of professionals that you paid for on how to become more urban. If our planning department can't get it done and we ignore the suggestions of a national urban planning firm, why is the city wasting hundreds of thousands in dollars anyways? Just give up! Build more parking spaces, allow concrete walls to ride up alone the 4 ft. wide sidewalks, don't even construct sidewalks at all, enforce no retail where retail should be located, approve eyesore parking garages with no retail. Just give up Tampa.
Old September 8th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #15
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

wrong thread.

Last edited by Jasonhouse; September 8th, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old September 8th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #16
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
And smiley, that's the problem. I know that many of the suggestions that came from ULI is pretty much everything we have ranted on before and do so now. But it's one thing to take the criticism of any of us and ignore it, it's another to ignore the suggestions of professionals that you paid for on how to become more urban. If our planning department can't get it done and we ignore the suggestions of a national urban planning firm, why is the city wasting hundreds of thousands in dollars anyways? Just give up! Build more parking spaces, allow concrete walls to ride up alone the 4 ft. wide sidewalks, don't even construct sidewalks at all, enforce no retail where retail should be located, approve eyesore parking garages with no retail. Just give up Tampa.
I wasn't aware that Tampa is trying.

Last edited by Jasonhouse; January 22nd, 2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old September 8th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #17
koopalicious

Quote:
Parking is mostly interior? Look at the render you posted, a good size of the project here is covered in a parking lot. They removed a part of Gray St., for parking.
The surface parking isn't fronting any major streets. That's what I meant by interior.

Last edited by koopalicious; January 23rd, 2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old September 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #18
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^No, the built density is less than half what the city approved.

Quote:
You can say no to the project and have the land sit vacant forever, or you can say yes and increase the neighborhood's property values and population, so that for future projects, garages and retail can be justified.
FAIL
Old September 9th, 2012, 05:49 AM   #19
smiley

Just because you dont build crap now does not mean it will be empty forever - especially if the area is targeted for wholesale changes.
I contain multitudes.

Old September 18th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #20
ATampaArnold

Likes (Received): 129

Major fail and poor vision yet again
ATampaArnold no está en línea   Reply With Quote