daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #1
TampaFan

Likes (Received): 58

WEST TAMPA | West Bank Redevelopment | massive mixed-use | site demo

Not sure if this is the correct location, interesting read from the Tampa Bay Times today.

source : Richard Danielson

Quote:
The proposed "West River" plan recommends demolishing World War II-era public housing at North Boulevard Homes and replacing the complex's large cinderblock apartment buildings with a mix of affordable housing and homes that sell or rent for market rates. more...http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgo...orough/2163217

Amtrak96 liked this post
TampaFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2014, 02:53 AM   #2
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

Welcome to the forum.

The entire plan is now on the InVision website.

densitymatters, TampaFan liked this post
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 03:30 AM   #3
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1974

Welcome TampaFan! I hope you'll enjoy posting here! Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:55 PM   #4
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 557

Just looked at the plan. Four stories is not mid-rise.

TampaMike liked this post
Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 05:42 AM   #5
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 952

Thank you Del! The plan overall sucks. Lack of retail, failure to make the river a focal point of the area, totally goes against what Buckhorn wants to do and not make the River a boundary, non-urban developments, etc. The city would be smart and focus less of the land to affordable housing, forcing taller developments. Then attract private developers to remaining plots with incentives under certain requirements.

Also.... why is there two elementary schools so close in location? Why not build a larger elementary school that handles all students from both schools while in the process of redeveloping the area?
Old February 2nd, 2014, 06:12 AM   #6
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
Also.... why is there two elementary schools so close in location? Why not build a larger elementary school that handles all students from both schools while in the process of redeveloping the area?
Population and boundaries at the time that the schools were built? Idk...
Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:03 AM   #7
densitymatters

Likes (Received): 770

Obviously a HUGE improvement then from what's currently there but the lack of density is concerning. Hopefully the city takes full advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity. This area has Limitless potential. It really needs to be an extension of downtown not an area resembling Hyde Park...
densitymatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:15 AM   #8
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post
Population and boundaries at the time that the schools were built? Idk...
Likely. Just seems that in the long run, it would be financially correct to build a new updated elementary school that accommodates students from both schools, upgrades the school with greener technology, and eliminates maintenance costs that the two older schools are collecting and will be collecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by densitymatters View Post
Obviously a HUGE improvement then from what's currently there but the lack of density is concerning. Hopefully the city takes full advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity. This area has Limitless potential. It really needs to be an extension of downtown not an area resembling Hyde Park...
That's my concern as well. You have blocks of housing that looks like the apartment developments up here in Trinity. That's not what is needed. Encore isn't the best envisioned for that area, but how do we go even further down in development scale from buildings like Ella and Trio?

Another thing is that the city doesn't want to mix normal residential units in the same area as affordable housing. One of this country's problem is what it creates by segregating the poorer students from the more privileged students. It's created because they fear what is pretty much created by the fear. It's not a secret that schools that have more students of parents that are middle class or higher receive more in funding and pretty much in academic focus. Not to derail the thread so long with my rant. Simple message is that the area needs development of all kind and not just re-establishing the folks back into their bordered up affordable housing, Section 8 neighborhood and protecting the more unfortunate by keeping them out.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:36 AM   #9
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2462

The villagers strike again.

densitymatters liked this post
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 06:30 PM   #10
koopalicious

This is typical low-density, new-urbanist suburban retrofit. Together with The Heights and Encore, only around 2500 new units are being built/proposed on nearly 200 acres of land surrounding Downtown.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:05 PM   #11
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

12 units an acre. What a joke... It should be a bare minimum of 30 units an acre, and preferably should be a minimum of 50 per acre. (for those not familiar with this, 30-50 units an acre is most commonly built out as townhouses/rowhouses or 3-4 story apartment buildings)

If you think this density is too high, or is beyond what the "market will bear", allow me to point to just about every other city on Earth with a similar population and politely suggest that you're dead wrong.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:46 PM   #12
tampaizzy

Likes (Received): 34

the only thing i can say i really like from this is they would relocate the sports fields and the "commercial waterfront square"
tampaizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:23 PM   #13
densitymatters

Likes (Received): 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopalicious View Post
This is typical low-density, new-urbanist suburban retrofit. Together with The Heights and Encore, only around 2500 new units are being built/proposed on nearly 200 acres of land surrounding Downtown.

this is upsetting to think about, especially when the original plan for just The Heights was suppose to be around 1900 units.
densitymatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:18 PM   #14
Jahi98

Likes (Received): 155

There should be much more density, and taller structures along the river.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 12:15 AM   #15
HARTride 2012

I agree with everyone's points. Definitely not enough density and a big waste of a plan overall. This definitely goes against Buckhorn's vision.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 04:09 PM   #16
Brian72

Likes (Received): 966

Trying to figure out how I feel about more or less density here. As a local resident I appreciate the need for density and will also say how much I love denser areas like NYC and Chicago.

Putting aside what we have now on I am optimistic for the development but not sure if taller higher density right on the River is best long-term. When your in Chicago, the riverfront is almost taken by the tall buildings lined up and unless your working in one of these Talls or happen to take a boat trip to admire them from the river, its wasted IMO.

One comment mentioned Hyde Park, although that is on the lowest side of density that I want to see in this area, I can appreciate the idea that less is more sometimes and it could result in a better quality of enjoyment of the immediate surrounding amenities by the residents.

The trade off in my mind for the lower density is less traffic too.

Tampa's downtown will never grow substantially from its current footprint based on the borders. Some new high-rises may fill in over the next 10 - 20 years but I don't see them sprawling out into the Heights or over the river to Hyde Park. I am not saying this is what I want either, just an observation.

We have 3 great high-rise projects under foot, perhaps those being built this year will change the minds that still haven't got the message that people want more density and to live and work in downtowns. It was a long process that left our urban downtowns in decay, it will take some time to turn that around, hopefully not too long in our case before undesired buildings are set in stone.
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:17 AM   #17
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 129

I think it's a good start at a good time. By the time they secure funding, get what's there cleared out, and start construction, things should be better financially and some private developers might line up to build up instead of out similar to what might happen at the Central Park sites outer parcels. This should at least get the ball rolling on what we all know needs to happen in the immediate area which is to clear out the zero tax generating buildings in a prime location for future growth.

Brian72 liked this post
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 02:59 AM   #18
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Editorial: Redeveloping west Hillsborough River

A Times Editorial
Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:04pm

Quote:
Tampa's long and ambitious effort to redevelop the west bank of the Hillsborough River begins in earnest next week, and the public has a chance to shape the look of this neighborhood from the very start. A meeting Tuesday marks the first step in remaking Riverfront Park, a rambling open space whose sweeping views of downtown should make it a magnet for bringing new vitality, residents and businesses to the city center.

The meeting at Blake High School will be the first of many by the city to gather input on a new design for Riverfront. The 23-acre park is the largest open public space on the downtown waterfront, but it is pinched in by a poor design, a fragmented array of ball courts and the usual neglect that afflicts older parks on the fringe of downtown areas. It has been out of sight and mind for years as Tampa focused on downtown's east end.

The city intends to use the redesign as the first major stake in remaking the West River area, a community of older homes and decrepit public housing from the riverbank west and north. In that sense, the remake is larger than merely cleaning up and plopping down new amenities at the park. The Riverfront project could lead the way for tens of millions of dollars in new public and private investment in the West River area over the next several years. That's why it's critical to get the park's redesign right.

Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn has a good idea to reroute a nearby street along I-275, which could expand the park's footprint by 7 acres. That extra land would enable the city to update the basketball and tennis courts without spoiling natural areas of the park now enjoyed for walking, picnicking and other passive uses. Maintaining that balance is key if the city hopes to develop Riverfront both as a front yard for urban residents and as a natural oasis for people to gather and relax.
Continued...
http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/edit...-river/2177693

A crop of the area being discussed... I have some ideas, though I'm sure someone has already thought of them by now.
[IMG]http://i59.************/16by6np.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:21 PM   #19
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 129

Looking at the shot above, they should just find a way to leave Laurel connected to W Green St and do away with Laurel through the park altogether. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense (cents) to reroute and take on the costs just to give access to the Laurel from either side of I275. Make it one way in each direction and use the money saved for park enhancements or a ped bridge connecting the two sides.
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 06:50 PM   #20
koopalicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAMAN View Post
Looking at the shot above, they should just find a way to leave Laurel connected to W Green St and do away with Laurel through the park altogether. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense (cents) to reroute and take on the costs just to give access to the Laurel from either side of I275. Make it one way in each direction and use the money saved for park enhancements or a ped bridge connecting the two sides.
Laurel is likely going to stay, although aligned closer to 275. There are spurs on 275 for a possible N Boulevard exit, and we know that land in urban areas must be sacrificed to accommodate commuters.

What you can do is reduce the bridge to two lanes - one each direction - and use the remaining space for a multi-use path. InVision suggests some green space on the Downtown side, so it would be nicely located... and you don't have to build a pedestrian bridge.