search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2014, 07:04 PM   #21
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAMAN View Post
Looking at the shot above, they should just find a way to leave Laurel connected to W Green St and do away with Laurel through the park altogether. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense (cents) to reroute and take on the costs just to give access to the Laurel from either side of I275. Make it one way in each direction and use the money saved for park enhancements or a ped bridge connecting the two sides.
That's exactly what my idea is about.

[IMG]http://i59.************/2wg6s6w.jpg[/IMG]

Get rid of Laurel through the park altogether. It's so obvious.

Two-way Green St to the bridge.

Reduce lanes on this underused bridge from 4 lanes to two, aligned on the north side of it. That leaves plenty of room for a buffer between automobile traffic, and a wide pedestrian path across the bridge on the south side. That would provide a ped connection between Lane Park and the new riverwalk without ever crossing a road. It would also provide a key ped link across the river in the larger scheme of better connecting DT to the west side of the river. All for for the price of a bit of demo, some new pavement and paint. A new standalone ped bridge would cost millions.

Then get rid of the high-speed turns on the west side of Doyle Carlton Dr at Laurel St, to make it safer.

Make WB Laurel do a left turn only from the left lane, to tidy up connecting the new 2-lane road to the existing DT grid.

Later, when Tampa Presbyterian Apartments make way for redevelopment, I think it's also a no-brainer to realign Green St at that time with Main St. Then, the W Tampa neighborhood will have a direct ped and automobile connection to downtown. Re-connect Laurel St between Tampa St and Franklin St, around that lame state office building, and suddenly Laurel St/Main St becomes a nice little corridor to run some transit on to MTC too.

The beauty in all of this, is none of it costs much, and none of it involves a single private property owner.

densitymatters liked this post

Last edited by Jasonhouse; September 9th, 2014 at 11:30 PM.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:43 PM   #22
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

Spot on. However, my fear is that this park is going to be looked at in isolation. Then, as always, we'll spend millions trying to "connect" a bunch of patchwork elements.
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:49 PM   #23
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Let's go Tuesday then.
Old May 4th, 2014, 02:13 AM   #24
kmthurman

Likes (Received): 243

Pleasw go. I agree. I think most people do. They need to hear this from you. Especially considering they'll have some people to fight to do this.

One big reason laurel will continue to exist is that FDOT wants it to get people from North BLVD to Downtown their new express lanes. The more people that fight for it the more FDOT will back off.

http://newtotampa.tumblr.com

HARTride 2012 liked this post
kmthurman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:18 AM   #25
FlaNatv

Likes (Received): 106

I know fdot plans to have an exit onto boulevard but I don't think they should funnel anymore traffic through UT. In fact boulevard should be brick through UT. I think an upgraded Willow would make a better interchange, it already has an interchange with the Selmon.

I hope a complete west bank riverwalk is part of the plan all the way to bayshore.
Old May 4th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #26
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Let's go Tuesday then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmthurman
Pleasw go. I agree. I think most people do. They need to hear this from you. Especially considering they'll have some people to fight to do this.
Done. I'll be there.

koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #27
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

I already know I'll be there. If not right at 6, then within a few minutes.

Kman, you going?

Old May 4th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #28
kmthurman

Quote:
Reduce lanes on this underused bridge from 4 lanes to two, aligned on the north side of it. That leaves plenty of room for a buffer between automobile traffic, and a wide pedestrian path across the bridge on the south side. That would provide a ped connection between Lane Park and the new riverwalk without ever crossing a road. It would also provide a key ped link across the river in the larger scheme of better connecting DT to the west side of the river. All for for the price of a bit of demo, some new pavement and paint. A new standalone ped bridge would cost millions.
I think the ped connection to the Riverwalk is key. It saves tens of millions of eventually building a ped bridge on the northern end. It can compliment a bike link over cass.

Brian72 liked this post
Old May 5th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #29
Brian72

Likes (Received): 948

What about selling some of the property on the south edge of the interstate for development, a residential high rise there would take care of the 'wasted space' and also bring some money in like is happening with the Straz project.

The project could be called '275' .... not sure anyone would want to live so close to the interstate but who wants to hang out next to an overpass in a park?
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #30
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 128

I agree 100% with the above. Appreciate you taking time to voice it at the meeting. I'll be away on business.
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #31
kmthurman

Quote:
Kman, you going?
Yes but I'll be late. Have a 5:30

Old May 6th, 2014, 08:42 AM   #32
densitymatters

Likes (Received): 770

Quote:
That's exactly what my idea is about.

Get rid of Laurel through the park altogether. It's so obvious.

Two-way Green St to the bridge.

Then get rid of the high-speed turns on the west side of Doyle Carlton Dr at Laurel St, to make it safer.

Make WB Laurel do a left turn only from the left lane, to tidy up connecting the new 2-lane road to the existing DT grid.

Later, when Tampa Presbyterian Apartments make way for redevelopment, I think it's also a no-brainer to realign Green St at that time with Main St. Then, the W Tampa neighborhood will have a direct ped and automobile connection to downtown. Re-connect Laurel St between Tampa St and Franklin St, around that lame state office building, and suddenly Laurel St/Main St becomes a nice little corridor to run some transit on to MTC too.

The beauty in all of this, is none of it costs much, and none of it involves a single private property owner.
I totally hope this happens!! Getting rid of Laurel through the park is the most important thing that must change during the renovation.

Some other things that would be nice additions would be...

1. Observation tower

Something tall enough to have nice views of the whole city and large enough to accommodate around 30 or so people at a time. Imagine having some awesome views of downtown, westshore, ybor, the river and the bay.

2. Fitness course

I think a fitness course would be a great addition, a lot of equipment like whats found on Bayshore but also a Parkcore course would be pretty cool. I can see these attracting people to the park.

3. A water-play area

Something similar to the one at Ballast Point Park

4. Incentives for a Quality Riverfront Restaurant

Something right against the river with nice views of the skyline and maybe even am outside seating area extending out directly over the river...Hmmm imagine Glass floor's lol

My biggest fear is that they will flatten the mounds and remove a lot of the trees. Whenever I hear someone like the mayor say we need more safety and better views of the park I can just see the chopping down all the trees and making it like Curtis Hixon. This would be a disaster, its important that they keep the trees in place and potentially plant more. This makes the park feel like a natural park vs a big open field like curtis hixon. The trees MUST STAY IMO

Jasonhouse liked this post
densitymatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #33
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^You touched on three more of the things I would also like to see in a redeveloped park...

Some waterfront development... A boat ramp and its parking, and a cafe/restaurant. If it would fit, I would put the ramp up just south of the interstate, but eyeballing it, I don't think there's quite enough space to put boats in the water. Probably wind up at the end of Cypress. Probably put the restaurant just north of that on the water. Its trucks can then use the same wide turn access.

If they get rid of the big mound, then they absolutely must build some sort of observation deck kids can climb up, that will get them up above the treeline so they can see the city they live in. (This is what makes the place memorable to my once 4 year old daughter. She LOVED the 'mountain', and the view it afforded her of the surrounding area.)

After the observation deck, a water play area would be my #1 amenity I would add to the park. Something along the lines of the one at Ballast Point Park would be nice, though such a feature at Lane Park might need to be a good bit larger, to account for what will probably be larger crowds. Such water play areas should be standard fare at several more of the cities major parks. (I also think they should greatly expand the pool and play area at the MLK Rec complex on N Oregon, so that it's something along the lines of the Sarasota YMCA Josephine Lofino Water Park.

Fitness trail is sort of a no brainer. Really lame if that's not already a given.

Really, if all of this hasn't been thought of and vetted already, we've got the wrong people in charge.

edit; oh and like Brian said before, they should look at helping fund some of this work by selling the land between the river, Laurel, Green and I275. Or maybe a lot down at the NE corner of Cypress and Boulevard.

Last edited by Jasonhouse; May 6th, 2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old May 6th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #34
Brian72

Great idea on the observation tower!

I remember when we went on vacation years ago, forget if it was Puerto Rico or St Lucia, but there was a really old observation tower in the jungle area. It resembled a light house with a spiral staircase and look out windows. On the top there was plenty of room for a small crowd with those binocular viewers so you can zoom in on your surroundings.

I think based on the location, a lighthouse design would be interesting. Further, they could make it look like a historic lighthouse that is now an observation tower.

Regarding the restaurant and water play areas, we have that already across the river at Waterworks Park and Ulele. These are expensive ideas and need lot's of supervision and maintenance. For this side of the river, it might be better to leave the park more rustic with large trees and more relaxing amenities.

Maybe there can be a food truck area included so instead of a fixed restaurant location, the city could provide water and electric with a place to encourage food trucks to rally there. Some people might go there just for the food!

I would like to see a restaurant added near Curtis Hixon, perhaps the new Straz Tower will have something that is close enough to access from both parks in addition to food trucks.

Instead of a restaurant on the water, I like the idea of providing an interactive waterfront with the park, a low sea wall and ramps with a small marina perhaps but leave the place rustic as possible. Boat houses and restrooms.

I just pictured boathouse like you see in Asia or Nantucket standing over the water so the boats could be kept inside, that would look really cool, even if there just appeared to be for that and were bathrooms or housed some utilities. I will attached a picture below of what I am thinking in a few.
Old May 6th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #35
Brian72

Here is one idea that sort of what I was thinking on the boat house although its big.

This is a little more rustic looking and again, it doesn't really need to be a boat house, just look like one.

Old May 6th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #36
Brian72

Here are a couple pictures at the lighthouse, thought we had more online.

I will have to search the home computer later for more details.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old May 6th, 2014, 05:38 PM   #37
Brian72

Not sure where to post this, thought this was relevant to the 'park' discussion here.

Quote:
Bright House Networks plans to make wireless Internet available in Tampa’s downtown riverfront public parks by year’s end.
http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...-downtown.html
Old May 6th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #38
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

That's Yokah˙ Tower

I've been there. You can see all the way to the ocean on a clear day. Great view up into El Yunque too.
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #39
Brian72

I remembered once I looked up the photos. The rain forest was awesome and so was the bio-luminescent bay. Thanks for the link, it was great to see the details.
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #40
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Naturally, I got stuck at work til after 7. Just now got home.