search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #21
Agent Orange
Deaf and dumb

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley
That's Progress Energy - I hope it does not end up that boxy
Thanks for the clarification. I thought the same thing about the shape when I saw it.

And thanks for the link NPRguy. I figured the thread had been moved to the archive subforum.

As an aside, yesterday I was reminded of an urban feature in downtown St Pete that needs to be replicated. That would be the balconies above the sidewalk on Central (particularly the 200 block.) This allows for nearly day long shade, which is essential in the summer months. I believe this is common in New Orleansí French Quarter, and it makes sense. No one enjoys walking around in urban areas with the radiant sunlight, scorching heat and stifling humidity that we're known for in Florida. Street trees do not always provide enough shade (plus they take years to reach maturity). The balcony-shaded sidewalks provide an assurance of sun protection. I think new, urban developments in hot, sunny locales such as Florida would benefit from using this model. It would encourage pedestrians to linger, sidewalk cafes would be viable year round. Sounds like a win win for everybody, but Iím sure itís highly illegal.

Last edited by Agent Orange; June 30th, 2006 at 01:37 AM.
Agent Orange no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #22
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange
Thanks for the clarification. I thought the same thing about the shape when I saw it.

And thanks for the link NPRguy. I figured the thread had been moved to the archive subforum.

As an aside, yesterday I was reminded of an urban feature in downtown St Pete that needs to be replicated. That would be the balconies above the sidewalk on Central (particularly the 200 block.) This allows for nearly day long shade, which is essential in the summer months. I believe this is common in New Orleansí French Quarter, and it makes sense. No one enjoys walking around in urban areas with the radiant sunlight, scorching heat and stifling humidity that we're known for in Florida. Street trees do not always provide enough shade (plus they take years to reach maturity). The balcony-shaded sidewalks provide an assurance of sun protection. I think new, urban developments in hot, sunny locales such as Florida would benefit from using this model. It would encourage pedestrians to linger, sidewalk cafes would be viable year round. Sounds like a win win for everybody, but Iím sure itís highly illegal.
Actually it was on the next page.

I agree. I wouldn't like drinking my work lunch drinking my cappuchino9sp?0 in the burning heat. How is it illegal?
Old June 30th, 2006, 02:53 AM   #23
multifamilyinvestor

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
That's Progress Energy - I hope it does not end up that boxy

I think you are reacting to the first several floors which are the parking garage. Once they finish the outside it will look different. The facade will vary between concrete and glass. Plus there are several floors to go which will make it taller and less square. These two pics are almost looking at the exact same angle:

I know the building is not Signature Place, but it is a new Class A office building downtown with a Fortune 250 Tenant who is commited to developing downtown St. Petersburg as they lured the hotel next door and are developing space for the college and museum
multifamilyinvestor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #24
smiley

Likes (Received): 561

My point is that the rendering looks fine, but the reality does not appear to comport with the rendering. Hoepfully it will.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 09:28 PM   #25
Agent Orange
Deaf and dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPortRicheyGuy
How is it illegal?
I mean that it is likely that there are laws preventing overhanging stuctures from being built above the sidewalks and so close to the street.
Old July 1st, 2006, 09:32 PM   #26
Agent Orange
Deaf and dumb

Facing a slumping area condo market, the developer of the Grand Bohemian redraws plans.

By STEVE HUETTEL, Times Staff Writer
Published July 1, 2006
------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST. PETERSBURG - With downtown condominium sales weakening, the developer of the Grand Bohemian Hotel & Residences is redesigning the $100-million project with more hotel rooms and fewer condos.

Richard Kessler has asked the city to modify development plans for the 28-story tower to include 260 hotel rooms, an increase of 50 percent, and nearly twice as much event and meeting space.

He wants to cut the number of residential condos, priced from $500,000 to $5-million for penthouse suites, from 82 to 52.

Representatives of Kessler met with St. Petersburg officials last week and "were concerned about getting enough condos sold to complete the project," said Rick Mussett, the city's development administrator.

Kessler said "several" customers made condo reservations, which don't require nonrefundable deposits. The main reason for the change, he said, is the hotel would be more profitable with more than 200 rooms.

His development deal with the city requires Kessler to close on the property, part of the old Maas Brothers department store site, by Aug. 15. A contract amendment scheduled to go before the City Council on Thursday would move the deadline back one year and allow the project changes.

Construction was originally set to begin last month but has been moved back to early 2007, said Kessler. The Grand Bohemian will open sometime in 2009.

Some 3,000 new condos are under construction or planned for downtown. "We've got so many condos going up, we'd like to see more different types of uses," said Mussett. "We've been encouraging them all along to have as many hotel units as possible."

Kessler's company, the Orlando-based Kessler Collection, specializes in high-end resort hotels built to AAA four-diamond standards. Pinellas has five four-diamond hotels, but only one downtown, the Renaissance Vinoy Resort.

The Westin Grand Bohemian across from City Hall in Orlando features original artwork in rooms, a fine-dining restaurant at street level and nightly performances on an Imperial Grand Bosendorfer piano, one of two in the world.

The St. Petersburg hotel will reflect the same standards and raise the bar for Tampa Bay area hotels, says Kessler. "It will be the first one of that quality, the first true luxury hotel in Tampa-St.Petersburg," he says.

But unlike the Orlando version, the local hotel won't carry the brand of Westin or any other chain.

A hotel "nameplate" establishes a level of quality. More importantly, it brings in bookings through the chain's powerful reservations system and customer loyalty programs. But it also costs hotel owners a significant share of revenues

About one-third of reservations at the Orlando Grand Bohemian come through Westin or its parent, Starwood Hotels & Resorts, said general manager Roger Ploum.

The success of the first Grand Bohemian in Orlando makes Kessler "quite confident" the brand can stand on its own and he plans to expand it to future properties, said spokeswoman Mary Kenny.

Steve Huettel can be reached at [email protected] or 813 226-3384.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/07/01/Bu...ess_resi.shtml
Old July 1st, 2006, 10:02 PM   #27
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 786

^As long as they dont cheap out by lowering the height,etc then its all good.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 11:32 PM   #28
Dale

Likes (Received): 5444

Makes me wonder about the strength of the St. Pete market, that they can't sell the better part of 82 units.

How about Arts ? Ovation ? Edge ? Are they likewise questionable ?
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 12:15 AM   #29
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 24

It's definitely the first time I've heard of a slowdown in St. Pete. I hope all of the currently approved projects get a chance to see daylight.
Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 03:04 AM   #30
I-275westcoastfl

The real estate market has crashed (yes i used crashed its doing poorly) in st.pete due to the idiot insurance problems. Before that it was doing good.

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; July 2nd, 2006 at 03:23 AM.
Old July 5th, 2006, 04:00 AM   #31
Jahi98

Likes (Received): 155

In addition to the recent insurance rate hikes are hitting hard, a lot of projects are hitting the market right now. Perhaps the market isn't as deep as projected. I still think a good number of these projects will still get built. I could see the Arts doing one tower as rental, though. DT, and St. Pete in general, could use some new rental.
Old July 5th, 2006, 04:17 AM   #32
John F

Likes (Received): 62

I've heard more of people getting out of Pinellas (and Florida) than buying in with thanks to Insurance rates...
Old July 5th, 2006, 05:29 AM   #33
Dale

That bad ? I haven't heard of the insurance rates eviscerating other markets.
Old July 5th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #34
I-275westcoastfl

^Here it is that bad Dale, all big insurance companies have moved out and arent writing policies and that idiot citizens insurance is left. Also to get a loan you need insurance and think how many people can buy a house here without a loan so our shitty market people are still selling but not buying, plus moving out.
Old July 5th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #35
Dale

But I'm curious as to why this would be a St. Pete thing. I haven't seen these kind of rumblings in connection with other Florida markets.
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #36
I-275westcoastfl

I cant really say much about other florida markets but i know its affecting the bay area pretty good ive been looking it up because we have a house we are trying to sell and then we will buy. All i gotta say its buyers market, ive noticed you can get better deals on pre-owned houses than before, not to mention every street has a few for sale signs.

Id like to know how other areas of florida would be affected and and answering your question i think its because st.pete is a blue collar city and the rise in insurance is affecting people greatly. But with developers i think they see the way things are going and arent willing to risk as much. Also i think until the insurance issue is solved we will see less developments. The insurance compaines like oil companies can kiss my ass.

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; July 5th, 2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #37
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 261

Insurance is a horrible problem here. Horrible.

Hopefully the hotel redesign won't alter the interesting design of the structure...
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #38
smiley

Likes (Received): 561

While insurance may be an issue to some people in some areas, it should have little to do with a big condo tower. I would say that the market is just a bit saturated and interest rates have risen . . .

As for people selling houses, a lot of them bought more than they could afford on adjustable rate or some gimmick mortgage and can't keep going. That will only increase over time.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #39
John F

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
While insurance may be an issue to some people in some areas, it should have little to do with a big condo tower. I would say that the market is just a bit saturated and interest rates have risen . . .

As for people selling houses, a lot of them bought more than they could afford on adjustable rate or some gimmick mortgage and can't keep going. That will only increase over time.
While the condo statement is true...

...I know people who have lived in theior neighborhoods for 10-20 years. This isn't a product of the BS real estate market that's helping to force them out. It's the state expecting insurance policy holders to accept large rate increases again and again and again.
Old July 5th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #40
I-275westcoastfl

EDIT nevermind

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; July 5th, 2006 at 11:05 PM.

Tags
development news, st. petersburg