search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #61
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3952

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHawk View Post
"But I believe we will be moving dirt next summer and cranes will in the air a year from now." - direct quote from Vinick, per Rich Mullins of TBO.com

So, cranes for the proposed hotel, sure. Not a big stretch. But what are the odds of starting construction on either the USF Med School or the proposed corporate HQ tower in 2015? It was my understanding that several factors and steps have to fall in place before either project goes vertical, both of which will likely take more than 12 months.
The only real factor for the med school at Meridian and Channelside is getting the rest of the money, which in theory could come this state legislative session in spring. The other parcels need to wait on road realignments.

Jasonhouse liked this post
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #62
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

^Yeah, that seems like it's all but a done deal to me. The big "if" there is, how self serving will the next crop of Fl legislators be? Tampa's got a long track record of getting the short end of the stick in Tally.

Barring that kind of drama, it should be full steam ahead for USF Med downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian72 View Post
You are generally negative, the glass is empty, about many developments and projects. Thats just not how I see it and doubt you would ever be truly happy anywhere you live, really.
We can always count on you to get personal with others you disagree with.

And I didn't say the project is underwhelming, I said it would seem underwhelming with all of the hype it's gotten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse
Nice project, but I told y'all it was going to seem a bit underwhelming after all of the hype of late.
It's a very important project for downtown, but it's also not of such a scale or visibility to "redefine the city".

Something that would "redefine the city" would be to change the zoning, so that people like Vinik don't have to blow upwards of $100,000,000 just on parking spaces for automobiles.

Last edited by Jasonhouse; December 17th, 2014 at 10:44 PM.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #63
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
The fact that we're getting development say in the wedge between the Forum and Old Water is just a testament of how unique of an opportunity this is. Most cities couldn't really consider developing such a sliver of land in a location like that.
Look at what is in Toronto, or being built in Montreal and Vancouver, and then make sure to get some tissues to wipe the tears away.
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:39 PM   #64
Brian72

Likes (Received): 963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
We can always count on you to get personal with others you disagree with.
This is personal to you? Pointing out your extreme negativity and general dissatisfaction with almost every project discussed in here is obvious, you make your 'personal' feelings known, don't blame me for calling you out on it. It really is a bad way to live your life, and IMO negativity just breeds more negativity.

I will say, leave it to you to crap all over the best thing that has happened to Tampa in decades. Your half ass approval is about all anyone here would expect I am sure.

You say all the time how much you are dissatisfied with Tampa and this region. Its part of who you are I guess, but to say I come out and made something personal that you wear on your sleeve is ridiculous. At least own up to your bad attitude..
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #65
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopalicious View Post
Look at what is in Toronto, or being built in Montreal and Vancouver, and then make sure to get some tissues to wipe the tears away.
Compare Tampa with cities which have 250,000, 1.3 million and 2.3 million more people then it and are the largest three metros in their whole country? No thanks.
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:53 PM   #66
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian72 View Post
This is personal to you? Pointing out your extreme negativity and general dissatisfaction with almost every project discussed in here is obvious, you make your 'personal' feelings known, don't blame me for calling you out on it. It really is a bad way to live your life, and IMO negativity just breeds more negativity.

I will say, leave it to you to crap all over the best thing that has happened to Tampa in decades. Your half ass approval is about all anyone here would expect I am sure.

You say all the time how much you are dissatisfied with Tampa and this region. Its part of who you are I guess, but to say I come out and made something personal that you wear on your sleeve is ridiculous. At least own up to your bad attitude..
Are you done yet, troll?

This thread has a topic. Stick to it. It you have a personal problem with someone, use PM.
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:54 PM   #67
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 62

Can't make everybody happy. While some people might be underwhelmed or maybe even disappointed, there will undoubtedly be some Harbour Island NIMBYs who whine about how all this added density will hamper their ability to speed on and off the island, unimpeded at 45 mph.

Besides, this is just the first draft. It may or may not get more impressive over time. Like my old boss used to always tell me - under promise and over deliver.

koopalicious liked this post
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:54 PM   #68
Grumbo

Likes (Received): 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopalicious View Post
Psh, i compare tampa to the likes of Hong Kong, NYC, and Tokyo personally.
Grumbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:57 PM   #69
Brian72

Ok, let's keep on topic. ...how awful is this vision? Can't wait to hear more of your views. .
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:07 PM   #70
USF802

Likes (Received): 675

Yeah, Jason you're definitely right that the Vinik hotel was slimmed down quite considerably and appears to have reduced a larger portion of the garage pedestal? Although, I'm not complaining, as what I can see from the small overhead rendering, the tower looks pretty sleek still.

Aslo note how there appears to no longer be a ped. bridge to the Arena and instead now has one going to the Marriott.

Does anyone know what that parcel just north of the Selmon (Whiting, Morgan Jefferson block) is?
USF802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:11 PM   #71
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture
Compare Tampa with cities which have 250,000, 1.3 million and 2.3 million more people then it and are the largest three metros in their whole country? No thanks.
My bad. This is totally better than what's in Wichita. Go team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF802 View Post
Does anyone know what that parcel just north of the Selmon (Whiting, Morgan Jefferson block) is?
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1740573
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:15 PM   #72
CubanBread

Likes (Received): 391

Know what I think is funny? They announced 'Hablo Taco' as a new Tenet at channelside plaza, they're taking over the old Tina Tapa's spot which just so happens to be the part of Channelside plaza that's going to be eliminated.

On a personal note that is the wing of the building I worked in for 6 years and was the starting point of my career path now, though it makes complete sense I'm actually sad to see it go, a lot of memories there.

Jasonhouse liked this post
CubanBread no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #73
Brian72

I thought the same thing too.
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #74
densitymatters

Likes (Received): 770

The parcel you're referring to usf, already has a proposed 7 story residential complex planned for it.. it's somewhere around the forum with renderings
densitymatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:20 PM   #75
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmthurman View Post
Looks like their version of the InVision project. They're smart to get out ahead of any potential NIMBYs by giving them an outlet for feedback.

Really interesting format for the site too.

Not sure why some people think I'm being negative about the project. I think it's great. Today is a historic day for Tampa. But I don't look at it from the perspective of a resident anymore. I look at it from the perspective of being a future visitor or investor. Does Tampa offer me as an urban enthusiast something more compelling than what I can get elsewhere? I think that remains to be seen. The prospects are certainly a lot better than they were in the recent past. But I'm not sure Tampa's outlook is more compelling than other localities, which can point to a lot more existing urban progress than Tampa can at this point.

If I was still going to be living here beyond whenever my neck heals in the next few weeks, I would be jacked right now, trust me.

Put it this way, a few months ago, my intention was to basically leave and not come back. Ever. Now I'm considering taking some of the money from when I sell my townhouse here, and pooling it with some money from my folks, and buying some land near downtown Tampa. I figure if I sit on it, it's not likely to go down in price, and if I come back in a few years and build on it with my own money (no loans), I'll probably make a killing.

Last edited by Jasonhouse; December 17th, 2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #76
USF802

Likes (Received): 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by densitymatters View Post
The parcel you're referring to usf, already has a proposed 7 story residential complex planned for it.. it's somewhere around the forum with renderings
That's what I thought it was and Koop linked the thread in his post, but for some reason I thought that project was dead for whatever reason and this was something new.
USF802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #77
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^Some of us wish it was dead, so Vinik could buy that parcel too. (and the rest of the block from the various small landowners)
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #78
FloridaFuture

What's interesting about the hotel is (I believe) they were still showing off the old rendering today too.

I'm guessing that project north of the Crosstown was waiting to see exactly what this project was doing (esp in regards to which roads were staying and which were going) before making a move. Of course if they think their values will jump high enough from Vinik's project they may just sell for a pay day. Cumberland being connected and becoming a much more important road alone will make their lot more interesting.

koopalicious, densitymatters liked this post
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:44 PM   #79
Brian72

At this point I hope they sell to SPP to be included in the overall plan..
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #80
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
What's interesting about the hotel is (I believe) they were still showing off the old rendering today too.
I saw that in the video that I finally got the chance to watch just now.

I think the hotel depicted in Urban Design Associates' conceptual renderings of the master plan, is just their conceptual placeholder.

What's relevant is the design that Vinik's team already showed the city for the rezoning. I seriously doubt that they would start off this project by showing the city one design to get approval, but build another.