search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #81
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2458

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanBread View Post
Know what I think is funny? They announced 'Hablo Taco' as a new Tenet at channelside plaza, they're taking over the old Tina Tapa's spot which just so happens to be the part of Channelside plaza that's going to be eliminated.
Maybe that was a goof and they meant the old Tia's Tex Mex location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopalicious View Post
My bad. This is totally better than what's in Wichita. Go team!
What in particular is not looking good to you at this point?

The overall density/scale?
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2014, 12:04 AM   #82
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 61

Just walked by there this afternoon, and not only is there signage on the old Tinatapa's announcing a new Mexican restaurant, but there's also construction going on inside. So that's where it's going, oddly enough.
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #83
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Btw, I love that on that Tampa 20/20 site, someone put up the idea "Retail in the ground floor of the Ports garage on Channelside facing the street.", which appears to be getting plenty of likes.

Some of us have been saying that around here for years. Imagine if something actually got done about it! I would probably die from shock. :P

For_F-L-O-R-I-D-A. liked this post
Old December 18th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #84
USF802

Likes (Received): 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Btw, I love that on that Tampa 20/20 site, someone put up the idea "Retail in the ground floor of the Ports garage on Channelside facing the street.", which appears to be getting plenty of likes.

Some of us have been saying that around here for years. Imagine if something actually got done about it! I would probably die from shock. :P
Hahaha when I saw that, I instantly thought of you and that it was probably you who posted it. But yes, def. gave that idea the thumbs up.

Jasonhouse liked this post
USF802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 01:12 AM   #85
Brian72

Likes (Received): 925

I made that suggestion....btw

Jasonhouse, densitymatters, gstolze liked this post
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 01:50 AM   #86
kmthurman

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:

Unless the port goes crazy (always possible) I'd say prepare to be shocked.

http://newtotampa.tumblr.com

koopalicious liked this post
kmthurman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 01:52 AM   #87
Brian72

Likes (Received): 925

Once I saw he had rights to the parking garage and they had a walk over, I just know that there's plans to modify that garage to make it more pedestrian friendly.
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 01:56 AM   #88
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

I wasn't aware that anyone but me saw it as an issue worth looking into.

FWIW, I put a suggestion up on that 20/20 site about building a general merchandise retailer downtown, and I put up a rendering of the City Target on Mission in SFO. (It's in the base of a midrise, and resembles Vinik's vision)

Ha, I could fill that site with suggestions, but I'll leave it to others. I think everyone here should be swarming that site and every meeting related to this project, making sure that this project is tip top.

edit: OK, I submitted one more suggestion. I said "Include rooftop bars and public observation decks to capitalize on the climate and great views", and I put up a pic of the rooftop bar at the Trump Tower Chicago.

koopalicious liked this post

Last edited by Jasonhouse; December 18th, 2014 at 02:25 AM.
Old December 18th, 2014, 02:02 AM   #89
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

Quote:
What in particular is not looking good to you at this point?

The overall density/scale?
I was just crabbily and sarcastically replying to FF, as I tend to do. I just think it’s worth noting what’s happening elsewhere, regardless of size, market, etc… that’s all.

As for the project, generally I think it’s fine. I’m concerned about the parking, of course - particularly any amount of garage frontage. I'm also curious about the future streetscape along Cumberland. I'd hate to see it connected to Meridian, only to be an elongated version of the the drag strip that is Brorein.

And as unsexy as it is, I think the energy plant is great. Given the amount of developable land around our core, we should be using that to our advantage and encouraging better use of district energy.
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 02:20 AM   #90
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1968

Now that the plan has been announced, I've posted in the Forum Improvement thread as to how would be the best way to make new threads concerning "Vinikville" projects. Please feel free to chime in there. I just don't want to see a ton of duplicated threads all of a sudden.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 02:47 AM   #91
densitymatters

Likes (Received): 770

I really like the conceptual plan, I have been staring at it all day
The plan is solid and imo met if not exceeded the hyped up expectations. I can only hope to see some action on the land in 2015, at the minimum redoing the roads but hopefully that and the start of the hotel.

The pedestrian only retail promenade between the garage and the future hotel is such a perfect idea... That will be a first for downtown Tampa. That ducked off strip will be buzzing with activity on game days. I love how it's soo close to the trolly stop too.

It's awesome that there is a waterfront park In the plan, I wasn't expected that, I assumed it would be some residential building but the park is the preferred option imo. I also noticed after looking really closely that they plan on adding an stage/amphitheater to the west end of the existing park for entertaining, thought that little addition was awesome.

I know big part of the project is office and that is contingent upon recruiting business but I am confident they will be able to make that happen sooner then later.

I wonder if the 250000 sq.ft. retail is with or without channels ide plaza? I'm assuming with

TPAman22 liked this post
densitymatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #92
densitymatters

Likes (Received): 770

Oh I like that they plan on adding all that boardwalk with docks for boats and what not. It would be sweet if they designed the electric station to resemble a grand historic structure with large columns, I think that would look great as the backdrop to the large land in front of the stadium
densitymatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #93
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^I think it's without.
Old December 18th, 2014, 02:59 AM   #94
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

Quote:
edit: OK, I submitted one more suggestion. I said "Include rooftop bars and public observation decks to capitalize on the climate and great views", and I put up a pic of the rooftop bar at the Trump Tower Chicago.
I found Brian's, but I can't find this one? I only see one without a picture that talks about dining on a rooftop.

By the way, everyone should post what they submit so we can like them.
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 03:03 AM   #95
TPAman22

Likes (Received): 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by densitymatters View Post
I really like the conceptual plan, I have been staring at it all day
The plan is solid and imo met if not exceeded the hyped up expectations. I can only hope to see some action on the land in 2015, at the minimum redoing the roads but hopefully that and the start of the hotel.

The pedestrian only retail promenade between the garage and the future hotel is such a perfect idea... That will be a first for downtown Tampa. That ducked off strip will be buzzing with activity on game days. I love how it's soo close to the trolly stop too.

It's awesome that there is a waterfront park In the plan, I wasn't expected that, I assumed it would be some residential building but the park is the preferred option imo. I also noticed after looking really closely that they plan on adding an stage/amphitheater to the west end of the existing park for entertaining, thought that little addition was awesome.

I know big part of the project is office and that is contingent upon recruiting business but I am confident they will be able to make that happen sooner then later.

I wonder if the 250000 sq.ft. retail is with or without channels ide plaza? I'm assuming with
Most of the quick search results listed the plaza at a little over 230,000 sq ft. The hotel alone is supposed to contain 40,000 sq ft of retail, and I'm not even sure if that refers to the retail promenade.
TPAman22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 03:19 AM   #96
tamparican

Likes (Received): 38

Not to fire up any more speculation than was already announced in the plan earlier today, but there was one article I ran across earlier that brought up again the Flour mill and the rail line acres by it, mentioning as we already knew that if a deal can be made to relocate the mill and close up the rails, it would free up about 10 acres...making a case for a baseball stadium there in future additions to the plans. The article mentioned a few of the issues that are lingering around such as two slivers of parcels worth $2million- between Nebraska and Jefferson that the owners are refusing to part with (Vinik holds the parcel wedged in between both of theirs). It also mentioned how Vinik would seek around $30 million in reimbursement from CRA to cover the costs of fixing the grid/streets and adding landscaping etc (which is very tiny fraction compared to the billion in private financing); I specifically bring that up b/c in the comments section of the article of course there were some people complaining about Vinik wanting to use up taxpayer money for this project (yet in perspective its a tiny fraction?!?!).. Interesting was the piece stating that Vinik is trying to get the channelside plan ready by May so that he can show it to major retailers at a Las Vegas Convetion..

Also good to note is that there would almost be two seperate $1 billion projects taking on simultaneously (the airports $943M project). This is very good news, considering all the recently announced and approved lofts/projects buldings that are in the works or will begin constrcution within a year or two as well.

Brian72 liked this post
tamparican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 03:23 AM   #97
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopalicious View Post
I found Brian's, but I can't find this one? I only see one without a picture that talks about dining on a rooftop.

By the way, everyone should post what they submit so we can like them.
It says it takes up to a day to post them once submitted. I didn't see the other one yet that I submitted earlier either.
Old December 18th, 2014, 03:24 AM   #98
kmthurman

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamparican View Post
Also good to note is that there would almost be two seperate $1 billion projects taking on simultaneously (the airports $943M project). This is very good news, considering all the recently announced and approved lofts/projects buldings that are in the works or will begin constrcution within a year or two as well.
I have seen people comment elsewhere that Encore, West River, & Tampa Heights are also in various stages of development. We could see a couple billion in those alone. Not to mention the three towers slated to be built in the next five years as well. Thats a lot of investment in the urban core.

http://newtotampa.tumblr.com

Brian72 liked this post
kmthurman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 03:34 AM   #99
USF802

Likes (Received): 647

Thoughts on the proposed water taxi?

I'm assuming this part won't be built until the USF Med School is near completion so it could link TGH and the Med School. But obviously there are other POI along the water that these taxis could service. Straz and Curtis Hixon Park being the two obvious, followed by the Heights and Ulele once that buildout starts.
USF802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 03:40 AM   #100
tamparican

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF802 View Post
Thoughts on the proposed water taxi?

I'm assuming this part won't be built until the USF Med School is near completion so it could link TGH and the Med School. But obviously there are other POI along the water that these taxis could service. Straz and Curtis Hixon Park being the two obvious, followed by the Heights and Ulele once that buildout starts.
Opentable named Ulele as one of the Top 100 restaurants in U.S. today, while not the most impressive of sources, it was based on over 5Milllion reviews they received, and the fact its only been open few months is a win in its own right. I certainly hope the water taxi is utilized as a valuable water transportation shuttle between all the POI around the urban core facing the waterfront in general!

Jasonhouse, Brian72, gstolze liked this post
tamparican no está en línea   Reply With Quote