search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #121
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

WTF. That article assails the loss of surface parking, without mentioning that it was private parking, not owned by the Straz, and that the developer is providing extra spaces well above what's required.

This is just the usual Times trolling of all developments near their Tampa office. They must be butt hurt that they have to walk a few blocks to the temporary lot off Morgan St.

URBN Tampa Bay's Facebook page

NaqoyqatZ liked this post
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2016, 05:35 PM   #122
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 935

Still think that the city should participate in a program like Cincinnati where the city has a developer construct a certain amount of parking spaces for the public for some type of tax relief of some sort for certain amount of years. Get enough projects doing this, we can have enough private/public parking garages to tear down certain parking garages, allowing the city to sell empty lots and unwarranted parking lots for future development.

Also shows the need to modernize the streetcar, extend it up to Curtis Hixon or even the Straz, and avoid the mistake of Cincinnati and give the streetcar the ability to change lights.

Tampa'sTime liked this post
TampaMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #123
NaqoyqatZ

Likes (Received): 177

I think the Straz just likes to belly ache about anything so the city or developer will throw more money their way.
NaqoyqatZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2016, 08:41 AM   #124
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

The more the urban core grows, the less it will matter if the self serving tax evaders in the suburbs have a cushy subsidized commute into the city.

Maybe the only way Hillsborough suburbs get better land use is by making traffic so bad, they can't physically reach the better land use.

URBN Tampa Bay's Facebook page

saerdna99 liked this post
Old December 13th, 2016, 08:36 PM   #125
rmaddrey
Mobile, Agile & Hostile

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Maybe the only way Hillsborough suburbs get better land use is by making traffic so bad, they can't physically reach the better land use.
I'm pretty sure this has been the operating tactic here in Atlanta.

Jasonhouse liked this post
rmaddrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 08:43 PM   #126
smiley

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
The more the urban core grows, the less it will matter if the self serving tax evaders in the suburbs have a cushy subsidized commute into the city.

As you know, I am all for urban development. I dont really see people in the suburbs as tax evaders, though. Lots of people live in the suburbs basically have to for a variety of reasons and needs. That is why they need to be built better. Not everyone can afford to live in the middle of town but it is not that hard to build something walkable farther out. It is not really more expensive than suburbs - in fact, overall, it should make more money in a "small town" suburban design because it uses the cheap land more efficiently.

I think when you are saying suburbs you real mean the very sprawly places far out. But new tampa is suburban as are places like Egypt Lake that are a mix of within and outside the city limits. really, much of south tampa is pretty suburban in development pattern. Tossing all the "suburbs" into one category does not really cover the issues.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.

smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #127
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Read more history of white flight and suburbanization. The ability to skip out on at least some tax obligations by moving outside of city limits or other jurisdictional boundaries was and continues to be a major selling point for suburbs both near and far from urban employment centers and their myriad amenities.

Cripes, this is particularly relevant to Florida's history of development, where touting unsustainably low tax policy is our bread and butter economic development policy. Look up the 2018 and 2019 state budget projections... They're billions in the red, even with another real estate bubble and tourism boom inflating tax receipts.
Old December 13th, 2016, 10:53 PM   #128
Brian72

Likes (Received): 948

People don't move to suburbs to save tax money like this...they just like the amenities.

Dealing with real estate ( wife was a long time agent ) it just isn't how people buy homes. People have desires and the suburbs offer what a lot of people want. We can't all want to live in an urban area and there are others that prefer rural areas and farms.

Just stop lumping people and making assumptions on others behalf's...

Wow, the overthinking that goes on is mind blowing...
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 11:05 PM   #129
smiley

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Read more history of white flight and suburbanization. The ability to skip out on at least some tax obligations by moving outside of city limits or other jurisdictional boundaries was and continues to be a major selling point for suburbs both near and far from urban employment centers and their myriad amenities.

Cripes, this is particularly relevant to Florida's history of development, where touting unsustainably low tax policy is our bread and butter economic development policy. Look up the 2018 and 2019 state budget projections... They're billions in the red, even with another real estate bubble and tourism boom inflating tax receipts.
White flight is an issue in some places, but not really Florida (unless you are talking Town and Country, which is in the county). Most people moved straight from Ohio or wherever to the suburbs for a variety of reasons.

I also consider tax evaders people who avoid paying the taxes they owe not people who seek lower taxes. people do choose some areas because they are less expensive to live in, and that includes taxes. That also includes most cities in Florida. And, once again, new tampa has city taxes but is suburban. There are areas far closer in and more urban than new Tampa (though not really urban) that are in the county.

If you want to argue against people who do not support amenities you want and do not want to pay for them, I'll agree with you in many cases. But I wouldn't paint everything with such a broad brush.

Anyway, that is way off topic.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.

smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #130
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

I see your point and yes we got off topic.
Old February 13th, 2017, 07:39 PM   #131
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3887

Any pictures?
Old February 14th, 2017, 04:36 AM   #132
Mark G

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
Any pictures?
I drive past this almost every day...it's making good progress. But it's hard to get pictures of it while driving.

FloridaFuture liked this post
Mark G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 03:45 AM   #133
WeatherChannel

Likes (Received): 35

I apologise, but what is being built directly across the river from this project?
Old February 19th, 2017, 04:37 AM   #134
NaqoyqatZ

Likes (Received): 177

Julian B. Lane Park?

WeatherChannel liked this post

Last edited by NaqoyqatZ; February 19th, 2017 at 04:38 AM. Reason: added link
NaqoyqatZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #135
WeatherChannel

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaqoyqatZ View Post
Thanks!
Old April 4th, 2017, 02:51 PM   #136
Brian72

Likes (Received): 948

4-3-17
[IMG] [/IMG]
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 04:00 PM   #137
mike1115

Likes (Received): 93

this one seems slow going.
mike1115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 04:40 PM   #138
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3887

They're building the entire garage first, then the rest of the building.
Old April 14th, 2017, 04:18 PM   #139
Casey

Likes (Received): 210

Interesting, it looks like workers are de-constructing a portion of the parking deck they just built. Don't think I've ever seen that before on a construction site.
Casey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 02:49 AM   #140
Szemeredy
Keeping Things Rolling

Likes (Received): 725

Update: Garage is mostly complete after being partially torn down, living structure is several floors vertical.

https://twitter.com/8_plamison/statu...90557407481856