search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #41
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 937

The lack of height has come with the lack of focusing growth anywhere but downtown, Bayshore, and the CBD. Doesn't mean we should continue that. And you still have student residences on UT that are taller than 8 stories, definitely can do more on this site that fits well for the other side of the river. Between I-275 and the Selmon, this is really one of just two or three areas on the west side you will see significant development. To sacrifice it for a merely 8 story project seems like the shorter end of the stick, especially when we are talking about a developer that has done numerous taller towers before in Miami.

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #42
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
400 units isn't bad though.
For 4+ acres it isn't all that impressive. Especially at this location. But look at the urban landscape... by the time this project is ready to build, the scene will be different. I basically consider this another placeholder project, due to the timeline.

A key for us right away... This site is obligated to build a chunk of riverwalk along the west bank. Is Related doing it, or are they trying to cheap out, and do another flip job to fund projects they actually care about elsewhere?

Quote:
URBN can't really protest to tell developers to build taller just for the sake of height. But if they mess up the street/river interaction, that's another story...
Spot on right here.

If we want something better and the project isn't dog shit, then our base reaction has to be yay... Now how about this little walkability tweak too (for example) and we'll actively lobby the city for your approval.

Last edited by Jasonhouse; June 26th, 2015 at 05:05 AM.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 11:43 PM   #43
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3900

Lets just have this and Gas Worx switch places
Old June 25th, 2015, 12:42 AM   #44
For_F-L-O-R-I-D-A.

Likes (Received): 278

My issue is the view of Hillsborough Bay would be amazing from this site with some height. At 8 floors, you will barely be able to see the water. Seems like a waste but I think these out of towners probably don't see the potential and the surrounding area does not match towers at this point.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
For_F-L-O-R-I-D-A. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 01:16 AM   #45
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 937

Quote:
Originally Posted by For_F-L-O-R-I-D-A. View Post
My issue is the view of Hillsborough Bay would be amazing from this site with some height. At 8 floors, you will barely be able to see the water. Seems like a waste but I think these out of towners probably don't see the potential and the surrounding area does not match towers at this point.
That's where I'm confused, because they have the Harbour Island tower that's approved and reasonable height. You would think that switching this project and the HI project would make more sense considering their locations.

TampaMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 01:22 AM   #46
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 556

Quote:
For 4+ acres it isn't all that impressive. Especially at this location. But look at the urban landscape... by the time this project is ready to build, the scene will be different. I basically consider this another placeholder project, due to the timeline.
Even at eight floors it will be horizontal, right? It may be another Crescent Bayshore.

Quote:
A key for us right away... This site is obligated to build a chunk of riverwalk along the west bank. Is Related doing it, or are they trying to cheap out, and do another flip job to fund projects they actually care about elsewhere?
That's what my thought about Related was especially after Pierhouse. And the Manor is just a boring wall even though it has height. I don't believe Related ever had any intention of building tall and luxurious in Tampa and I really believe they are shitting on Tampa just to raise money for more luxury condos in South FL. Just pisses me off that cities that already have a lot keep getting more, like Miami, Sunny Isles. And these are total shit places to live unless you are ultra rich.

Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 02:00 AM   #47
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

I've understood the Manor to be a decent project. I don't know how good, but that it's not crap.
Old June 25th, 2015, 02:03 AM   #48
FloridaFuture

I think Manor is a good project. The style is pretty unique (in a good way) for the area and the height/density is good.

If the retail on HI was actually full it would surely have retail too but I don't think retail is even close to being full on HI.

Pierhouse of course sucks.

FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #49
FloridaFuture

Quote:
'Miami's most prolific condo developer' is bullish on downtown Tampa
Jun 25, 2015, 7:26am EDT
Ashley Gurbal Kritzer

One of the most credible real estate developers in Florida sees downtown Tampa's real estate market as "very promising" for years to come.

Miami-based Related Group has confirmed its plans to redevelop the Tampa Tribune's waterfront office building into an eight-story residential tower with 400 units.

Related is under contract to buy the 4.4-acre site and lease it back to the Tribune, said Arturo Pena, a vice president and development manager for the company. Demolition of the existing Tribune building depends on the terms of the lease, which have yet to be finalized.

Jorge Perez, CEO of Related, is " the most prolific condominium developer in Miami," according to sister news organization the South Florida Business Journal.
more here

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...ullish-on.html

Old June 25th, 2015, 02:28 PM   #50
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Developer plans residential building for Tampa Tribune site
Published: June 24, 2015 | Updated: June 25, 2015 at 05:57 AM

TAMPA — Plans are in the works to ultimately replace The Tampa Tribune headquarters and printing plant on the banks of the Hillsborough River with a mid-rise residential building.

The Related Group of Miami on Tuesday filed an application for substantial change determination on the site, at 202 S. Parker St. City officials will determine whether the project represents a substantial diversion from existing zoning.

Related Group vice president Arturo Pena declined to discuss the project with a Tribune reporter citing terms of a sale agreement, and the documents filed with the city’s planning and development office provide little detail.

Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn said he has not seen specific plans, but has heard discussion of an eight-story, 400-unit residential building.

The proposal “sends a pretty loud signal that the west side of the Hillsborough River is just as exciting as the (downtown) core,” Buckhorn said.
more here

http://tbo.com/news/education/miami-...site-20150624/

Old June 25th, 2015, 05:14 PM   #51
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
Quote:
Vinik's team is also working to lure a corporate headquarters to his district. If both the corporate headquarters plans and the medical school come to fruition, there will be sustained demand for the types of luxury developments Related is known for.
Laugh....let's see how high they go "if" they want to start doing luxury developments here.

Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 08:46 PM   #52
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
That's where I'm confused, because they have the Harbour Island tower that's approved and reasonable height. You would think that switching this project and the HI project would make more sense considering their locations.
The Harbour Island site is smaller, so they have to go more vertical to reach that number of units.

If we don't want this to be a hulking, eight-story mass, then there need to be policies in place that protect things like access, light, air, and view corridors so that the building form can still be controlled in the absence of existing infrastructure.
Old June 25th, 2015, 11:56 PM   #53
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Tampa loves hulking masses.

Last edited by Jasonhouse; June 26th, 2015 at 05:06 AM.
Old June 30th, 2015, 02:14 PM   #54
FloridaFuture

He's really hyping this thing up.

Quote:
Related, one of Miami's leading developers, filed a request with the city of Tampa this week to determine whether its plans — what Perez said would be a "spectacular" apartment project on the banks of the Hillsborough River — would represent a substantial change from the approved development plan for the site.
Quote:
In a talk to journalists attending the National Association of Real Estate Editors annual conference, held this year in Miami, Perez was asked about his company's plans for the Tribune site.

"We could have put up a spectacular high-rise there," he said, "but we decided to go mid-rise. Wait until you see it. I love that site."
http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...tments/2235244

Old July 1st, 2015, 07:35 AM   #55
TamBay

Likes (Received): 55

not sure what they could do with a "mid-level" project that is going to make me fell better about them not building a "spectacular" high-rise on that prime real estate.

TamBay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 07:39 AM   #56
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Seriously. How is that salable, to barely be able to see over the Selmon, and generally not see over the various taller buildings all around the site? Strange...
Old July 1st, 2015, 03:22 PM   #57
Brian72

Likes (Received): 949

Well, perhaps having a lower building on the waterfront will provide another development behind to be taller and have some views as well.

I have heard this before in this forum, not that I agree with it, but it could be a planned for this scenario that has not yet been brought forward?

Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 05:49 PM   #58
NaqoyqatZ

Likes (Received): 178

I wondered the same thing, but more out of wishful thinking.

NaqoyqatZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 10:07 PM   #59
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian72 View Post
Well, perhaps having a lower building on the waterfront will provide another development behind to be taller and have some views as well.

I have heard this before in this forum, not that I agree with it, but it could be a planned for this scenario that has not yet been brought forward?
Certainly a possibility that they're trying to assemble more land, hence my URBN post about it the other day. You close on this land, before it gets away from you or the price goes up. The HRT land is attainable, the key is Media General's parcels. If they can get those, they own that whole riverfront. Then if they can get the Tampa Baptist Manor senior home to play ball, they can control a 'superblock' which contains almost 19 acres.

With the baked in height approval to 625ft from the HRT site, and being on the river, across from the core, with UT right there, highway access, etc... A project there could dwarf what Vinik is doing down where he's stuck with 250-325ft buildings. Extend Grand Central, run a ped bridge from its terminus at the river across to Whiting and the riverwalk... Or extend the streetcar across the river here... It could be so epic.
Old July 13th, 2015, 08:35 PM   #60
ATampaArnold

Likes (Received): 129

That is a crappy proposal at 8 stories. It is another crescent & should not be in downtown or adjacent to it. Also it needs to have riverwalk built into and retails. A lot of pedestrians cross the brorein Bridge and the kennedy bridge and with UT on the same side of the river they should get some foot traffic. Plus if development across from oxford exchange will be taller than this building