daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 7th, 2015, 08:42 PM   #61
Animan

Likes (Received): 17

Good! He has enough money and influence to throw around his weight.
Finally nice to see someone with influence wanting things done the right way.
Animan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #62
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

I agree with the statements Casper made at the end of the article, but prior to that he seems to be advocating for single-use development of these parcels, which is troubling.

Quote:
"What Grand Central is and can be is a really great shopping and retail district," said Blake Casper, proprietor of Oxford Exchange. "That’s what it originally was, and I think it very well could be that and more."
That's fine, but it's worth noting that this neighborhood was once littered with stately homes and would have had significant purchasing power relative to the rest of the city. You're not going to get a shopping district with with a couple of retail stores and parking.

Quote:
"We invested a tremendous amount of capital in that neighborhood with the understanding that zoning be adhered to," Casper said.
The only thing that our zoning guarantees is that you're going to get a steaming pile of crap next door. Seriously, you cannot advocate for a "great" district and then want the current zoning to remain in place.
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #63
For_F-L-O-R-I-D-A.

Likes (Received): 278

This needs more retail on Grand Central. From there, I guess we have to wait until we see the renderings.
For_F-L-O-R-I-D-A. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 01:46 AM   #64
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

Casper wants office space because his place gave up on doing dinner and only serves lunch.

I did a rather extensive write up on some bare minimum improvements to the project on the URBN FB page and here in the URBN forum.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #65
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 4043

Quote:
Historic Preservation has reviewed the revised proposed site plan dated June 26, 2015, and finds as
follows:
• There are three buildings on this property that are contributing structures in the Hyde Park National
Register Historic District. It appears that the demolition of these buildings would be required to
develop the proposed site plan.
• Staff strongly objects to the proposed demolition of these contributing structures.
• Per Section 27-260 of the City of Tampa Code of Ordinances, the Historic Preservation Commission
(HPC) must hold a Public Hearing to review an application for a demolition permits for a building
contributing to a historic district listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The HPC will
determine whether the property meets the criteria for local designation and may request City Council
to take emergency action to review the demolition threat.
• The applicant has submitted the following applications for demolition review to the HPC. These
items are scheduled to be heard at a Public Hearing on August 11, 2015, 9:00 am, at City Council
Chambers, 315 E. Kennedy Blvd, 3rd Floor, Tampa, FL.
o HPC 2015-07 502 Grand Central Avenue
o HPC 2015-08 110 S. Magnolia Avenue
o HPC 2015-09 112 S. Magnolia Avenue
They're going for the demo, not relocation
Old July 10th, 2015, 10:22 PM   #66
koopalicious

I wonder if they've offered them to anyone willing to relocate them?
Old July 10th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #67
FloridaFuture

Altman should be like if you pay for relocation it's your for free. If no takers within a certain time frame, say 6 months, then they get demoed. Seems fair to me. No point in keeping structures no one wants to occupy.

Jasonhouse, USF802 liked this post
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 11:25 PM   #68
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

They better watch it. I think there's a segment of the community who likes the idea of telling them to move the two houses to front Grand Central next to the Bryn-Alan house (as in, no destruction of historic homes or removal from the site), while some others at least want the Bryn-Alan house preserved.

I guess these guys just want to start at the bare minimum and hope for the best, but they're gonna make it real hard for anyone to support them at this rate.
Old July 10th, 2015, 11:35 PM   #69
FloridaFuture

That's kind of dumb IMO. Like it or not once the Crosstown was built this pocket between GC and the Crosstown was severed from Hyde Park. It should be built high density (higher then what's proposed even) and become an extension of the CBD. These buildings are in Hyde Park only by some Register boundary line at this point.

Casey liked this post
Old July 11th, 2015, 03:43 AM   #70
koopalicious

^ You can have both. A few old houses should not prevent more intense uses from surrounding them.

And I'm not sure we should just ignore the historic district. Just because the Crosstown bruised the neighborhood doesn't mean we have to keep taking a butter knife to it.

Jasonhouse, CubanBread, Brian72 liked this post
Old July 29th, 2015, 03:31 PM   #71
tampaizzy

Likes (Received): 33

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...developer.html

They revised the plans again
tampaizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 03:40 PM   #72
FloridaFuture

It's getting better. Doubled the retail to 5,000 all on Grand Central.
Old July 29th, 2015, 03:41 PM   #73
USF802

Likes (Received): 682

TBBJ:

Quote:
A Boca Raton developer's plans to build an apartment community near the Oxford Exchange have evolved significantly in the last three months.

Altman Development Corp. has nearly doubled the amount of retail space in Altis Grand Central, the 274-unit apartment complex the company is proposing on the 2.51-acre site at 504 Grand Central Ave. Its first proposal, filed with the city in April, was an apartment building and parking garage; in late June, the company revised its plans to include two 1,300-square-foot retail spaces fronting Grand Central Avenue.

The northern building, fronting Grand Central Avenue, will be six stories, with 5,000 square feet of storefronts lining Grand Central. The parking garage will be eight stories, with an eighth-floor amenity deck that includes a pool, a two-lane bowling alley and a covered lounge area. On the roof of the lounge area will be a dog park and a demonstration kitchen, where the developer will host cooking events.
http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...eloper.html#i1

*Picture isn't posting*

koopalicious liked this post
USF802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #74
FloridaFuture

koopalicious liked this post
Old July 29th, 2015, 05:43 PM   #75
koopalicious

I have an idea - let's put palm trees and a porte cochere where all of the people will be walking.

Seriously, fix those things and this is really close.
Old July 29th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #76
FloridaFuture

Yeah the first thing I noticed was they have the palms on Grand Central which more so then any of the other streets is the one that needs shade trees.
Old July 29th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #77
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

They took a few of our ideas, but not one of the most important ones... Get rid of the porte cochere.

It's close, but not close enough. URBNists who are more into the historic preservation angle, which is by code the dominant force on this particular site, consider it a non-starter to just demolish all 3 historic properties. I've heard some say they want them lined up along part of Grand Central's frontage to be commercial space, I've heard others suggest at least keeping the old Bryn Alan house, I've heard still others suggest the developer find available lots and move the houses there. Some of us here have said, at least offer them up to any takers willing to move them. The developer to my knowledge, hasn't offered any such mitigation.

Last edited by Jasonhouse; July 29th, 2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old July 29th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #78
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 952

For an architectural standpoint, I want to save the buildings too. But any clarification on why they are historic?

The buildings would be best suited for somewhere that will use them the best. All three would make great B&B's in my opinion. Again though, it would be up to anyone that would take up the financial responsibility of restoration. If no one wants them, what are we suppose to say to the developer?
Old July 29th, 2015, 06:56 PM   #79
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
For an architectural standpoint, I want to save the buildings too. But any clarification on why they are historic?

The buildings would be best suited for somewhere that will use them the best. All three would make great B&B's in my opinion. Again though, it would be up to anyone that would take up the financial responsibility of restoration. If no one wants them, what are we suppose to say to the developer?
I think it's because they fall within the Hyde Park Register boundary. They're not historic in the sense that someone special lived there or that a special event occurred there, just that they are architecturally historic and fall within a historic district.

And yeah as I've said before: 6 months "if you can haul it you can have it" seems fair and if no takers for a free 6-figure structure you can't fault the developer.

While relocating them to GC would be cool that seems like a bit too much to ask the developer to do. They want their building to be on GC that's a lot of the appeal of the project from a developer's standpoint.
Old July 29th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #80
koopalicious

^ I'm with you on that. I don't understand relocating them to Grand Central. The idea of moving them elsewhere is so you can fill an underutilized vacant lot. Grand Central will be filled... with this building.

Still, there are issues with moving them, even if they've been offered and someone is willing. These are/were being used as commercial/office space. That means you have to find a site that allows that use, or a) rezone a receiving property to accommodate that use, or b) do a significant remodel to make them viable as residential properties or B&Bs like Mike suggested. The other issue is that the area that these would be most viable in is Hyde Park. Problem is, there is a little thing called the Crosstown. The houses won't fit under it. That means they would likely have to be relocated north of Kennedy where property values are lower and there isn't a historic district. So, no protection and no tax incentives for rehabilitating them.