daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #81
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
I think it's because they fall within the Hyde Park Register boundary. They're not historic in the sense that someone special lived there or that a special event occurred there, just that they are architecturally historic and fall within a historic district.

And yeah as I've said before: 6 months "if you can haul it you can have it" seems fair and if no takers for a free 6-figure structure you can't fault the developer.

While relocating them to GC would be cool that seems like a bit too much to ask the developer to do. They want their building to be on GC that's a lot of the appeal of the project from a developer's standpoint.
Even if all three houses were on GC, that would still leave about 1/3 of the frontage, plenty of space for a lobby and commercial space. If just the one Bryn Alan house is saved, they have like 3/4ths of it to work with.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #82
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 4042

I wasn't really referring to the leasing office. I think they want that connected to the Porte Cochere and we want that moved to another street anyway. The issue is with units, the developer wants some on Grand Central I'm sure and the historic homes which are multiple stories tall would directly block some of the units.
Old July 30th, 2015, 08:47 AM   #83
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

The building would have to be set back a bit of course. Fire code helps with that a bit. Still plenty to get the address and presence coming in off Kennedy.

Note I didn't say I was in favor of that, I've heard it mentioned.
Old July 31st, 2015, 09:54 PM   #84
FloridaFuture

Per city portal:

Historic Preservation meeting has been pushed back from August 8 to September 8 because the HP committee wasn't going to be able to meet quorum.

Therefore the city council hearing has been pushed back from August 20 to September 10.

This means more time for revisions too

Jasonhouse liked this post
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 11:39 PM   #85
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

The only two things they need to fix so far as I'm concerned is moving or eliminating that damned porte cochere on Grand Central, and getting the Grand Central facade pushed back a few more feet to make room for both cafe seating and tree canopy. No palms, we want shade trees, at least along Grand Central. Oaks, magnolias (you know, the name of the road the project is on), whatever. Not non-native palms. Not appropriate for a historic corridor. (I understand the issue with blocking views for lower floor residents. Too bad. If these guys were putting in some office space like they're supposed to, that wouldn't be an issue. Besides, plenty of people like having more privacy when they're out on their balconies, and like the greenery seen from inside the unit.)

From what I understand, the developer wants their leasing office front and center on Grand Central? Why? Are they expecting endless turnover or something? Are they intending to turn this into an all-suites hotel in the future or something? Otherwise, why would the leasing office need to the be the central focal point of your development? I don't understand giving away valuable frontage along Grand Central to non-rev leasing office either. Why not tuck the leasing office in behind the commercial storefronts along Grand Central, with the leasing office really opening up onto the lightwell, with basically little more than a doorway into a lobby on Grand Central. Better yet, put the leasing office on the side along Magnolia, where it is really more visible to folks coming in off of Kennedy from a distance, than the Grand Central side is. The developer can even do their porte cochere there, no worries.

And before some wise ass suggests I don't know what I'm talking about, try looking at the comps for this project around the country along similar historic corridors. Not hard to find.

Last edited by Jasonhouse; August 1st, 2015 at 01:06 AM. Reason: added on to clarify
Old July 31st, 2015, 11:45 PM   #86
FloridaFuture

I don't understand the leasing office being front and center either. If anything that space would be valuable leaseable space either retail or residential walk-ups the developer should take advantage of.
Old August 1st, 2015, 12:17 AM   #87
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 95

I agree they definitely need to fix the things you both mentioned. Why would they want that drive up front? The leasing office space looks like it is also common area for the tenants.

And YES, they Definitely need more sidwalk room off GC for cafe seating.

I think this will turn out to be a great project. A little bit of change and it will add tremendously to that area.

Jasonhouse liked this post
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 01:04 AM   #88
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Yep. They're close.

I did a little asking around and those 'historic' homes aren't all that historic. Too many modifications inside and such, haven't heard anything about any of then being particularly sought after in the past or now.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 06:45 PM   #89
FloridaFuture

Behind paywall but...

The amenities package at Altis Grand Central will include a rooftop pool, bowling alley, demonstration kitchen, shuffleboard, an Atari game system and foosball.

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...y.html?ana=fbk
Old August 3rd, 2015, 08:26 PM   #90
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

A readable copy of the site plan...

URBN Tampa Bay's Facebook page

koopalicious liked this post
Old August 3rd, 2015, 08:43 PM   #91
FloridaFuture

For anyone that wants full size of that (45 MB) it is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4n4fffnvw...arger.pdf?dl=0

koopalicious liked this post
Old August 3rd, 2015, 11:17 PM   #92
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

There isn't a designated sidewalk where the porte cochere is, so you would be forced to walk along the driveway. I think even by the City's standards, that's not allowed.
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 11:38 PM   #93
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

That thing's gonna go.

Unless they're turning this into a hotel at some point, they need to get real and lay the front out like a normal urban development would have it. Revenue uses fronting the street, non-rev crap like the leasing office/gym/etc is either somewhere else all together, or on the side where's it's still visible but not prominent.

And they show circulation meeting Cleveland St, but it's landscaped there? Like, there's a hallway for an entrance, but no actual entrance? huh?
Old August 17th, 2015, 02:22 AM   #94
FloridaFuture

New drawings

ATampaArnold liked this post
Old August 17th, 2015, 06:06 AM   #95
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Kinda weird to do 5+1 frame over podium construction on the north side of the garage structure, but not the south side. One would think the point there is to have the interior of the 1st floor become parking, with the courtyard/lightwell things brought up a floor. Seems like that would be much better flow for the ground floor commercial to have an interior ground floor connection from the parking to the lobby.

However, if they just get rid of the porte cochere on Grand Central, it's close enough.

URBN Tampa Bay's Facebook page

Brian72 liked this post

Last edited by Jasonhouse; August 17th, 2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old August 18th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #96
FloridaFuture

Quote:
More details for apartments planned near Oxford Exchange unveiled (Rendering)
Aug 18, 2015, 10:53am EDT

Ashley Gurbal Kritzer
Reporter
Tampa Bay Business Journal

If all goes according to plan, the first residents will move into an apartment building across the street from Oxford Exchange in about two years.

Altman Development Corp., based in Boca Raton, said Tuesday that it is planning to break ground on Altis Grand Central in spring 2016 and deliver the first units in summer 2017.

At 504 Grand Central Ave., across the street from Oxford Exchange, Altis Grand Central has evolved significantly since the company first filed plans with the city in April. After feedback from the surrounding neighborhood and City of Tampa, the development will now include 296 units and close to 5,000 square feet of retail space fronting Grand Central.

The building fronting Grand Central will be six stories; the building that abuts Cleveland Avenue will be five stories. Between the two will be an eight-story parking garage.
more here

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...ar-oxford.html

Jasonhouse, Brian72 liked this post
Old August 18th, 2015, 07:42 PM   #97
FloridaFuture

^Note the unit bump, from 274 to 296.

Also...is the porte cohcere gone or are they just hiding it in the rendering (more likely)?
Old August 18th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #98
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 948

Idk to me it looks like the porte cochere is gone and it's just a sidewalk now.
Old August 18th, 2015, 11:51 PM   #99
Animan

Likes (Received): 17

Now something needs to be done about the houses.

Brian72 liked this post
Animan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 01:28 AM   #100
densitymatters

Likes (Received): 770

Reminds me of post soho
densitymatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote