search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #101
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3819

^It's all med rev, but this is nicer with the brick and Spanish style red roof instead of brown.

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2015, 04:22 AM   #102
kmthurman

Likes (Received): 239

It's confirmed the driveway or Porte cochere is gone.
Old August 19th, 2015, 05:32 AM   #103
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2458

Yay!

Sorry I missed your text about it earlier. Been having more of a family day wasn't by my phone.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #104
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Luxury apartments Altis Grand Central planned for South Tampa
Katherine Snow SmithKatherine Snow Smith, Times Staff Writer
Tuesday, August 18, 2015 11:40am

TAMPA — A burgeoning pocket of South Tampa is slated for two luxury apartment buildings with 296 units dubbed Altis Grand Central. They will rise on Grand Central Avenue on an entire block bordered by Magnolia Avenue, Cedar Avenue and Cleveland Avenue. The site is across from the University of Tampa near Mise en Place and the Oxford Exchange restaurants.

Boca Raton developer Altman Development has 21/2 acres of property that is mostly parking lots under contract, according to Altman president Jeff Roberts. The block is owned by the Parido and Stoeltzing families. Roberts declined to name the selling price or what the company projects to spend developing the 300,000-square-foot project.

Altman is in the zoning process with the city of Tampa and plans to start construction in the spring of next year, he said.

"We've been looking in that area for quite some time. We're very excited about the ability to have a walkable location," Roberts said. "The accessibility is great. You are very close to South Tampa and parts of downtown Tampa."
more here

http://home.tampabay.com/news/busine...-tampa/2241742
Old August 19th, 2015, 04:48 PM   #105
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmthurman View Post
It's confirmed the driveway or Porte cochere is gone.
Are you sure? It's still in the site plans recently submitted.
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 05:07 PM   #106
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopalicious View Post
Are you sure? It's still in the site plans recently submitted.
Lets just say if anyone on here knows what's going on with Altis GC, it's kmthurman.

Old August 20th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #107
For_F-L-O-R-I-D-A.

Likes (Received): 278

So much better than before. I like the development. It could always be better but it is pretty good at this point.

Brian72 liked this post
For_F-L-O-R-I-D-A. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 10:14 PM   #108
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

This is what URBN will be doing, again and again.

No more Auroras!
Old August 27th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #109
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Oxford Exchange owner, still not happy with proposed apartments, launches formal campaign to kill plans
Aug 27, 2015, 12:33pm EDT Updated Aug 27, 2015, 12:42pm EDT

Ashley Gurbal Kritzer
Reporter
Tampa Bay Business Journal

The owners of Oxford Exchange are launching an online movement to stop a South Florida developer from building an apartment-and-retail complex across Grand Central Avenue from their building.

Oxford Exchange — a rehabilitated historic building that houses a restaurant, boutique, book store and coworking space — on Thursday announced the launch of Tampa Deserves Better, a website and social media campaign protesting Altman Development Corp.'s plans.

Blake Casper, who owns Oxford Exchange with his sister Allison Adams, publicly opposed the development in July, telling the Tampa Bay Business Journal that the plans would quash the potential of Grand Central to become a walkable shopping district.

Altman Development, based in Boca Raton, has since revamped their plans for the site in response to feedback from Casper, other neighbors and the city of Tampa. Earlier this month, the developer released a rendering and updated plans that call for 300 units wrapped around an eight-story parking garage with 5,000 square feet of retail space.
more here

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...appy-with.html
Old August 27th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #110
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 553

Oh I didn't know Oxford Exchange owns Hyde Park.
Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 07:42 PM   #111
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

We knew that was coming. It was obvious.

The Caspers can't make a credible complaint about walkability anymore, they can only complain that the project isn't pretty enough, or doesn't suit the current land use. Except that last one is all but meaningless, land use gets changed all of the time, and the new proposed mixed-use retail/residential is considered compatible. With regards to whether the building is pretty enough, I agree the building's mass is fugly, but the city can thank their own codes for that. Anyone wants to fix those, I'm all for it, but to try and do it by 'killing' one of the better projects proposed in post-recession Tampa is pretty silly. Even with the goofy parking garage, this project is more urbane than Pierhouse, Crescent Bayshore, Aurora, Broadstone, everything in Westshore, and everything built and proposed so far on North Rome, except for the townhouse project.

My question is, when they say "Tampa deserves better", are they really talking about themselves, or do they really mean the whole city? If it's not just about themselves, then I look forward to them helping to improve Related's proposed mess on the river, as well as the proposals on North Rome and elsewhere, which all lack the mixed-use that Altis Grand Central features.

Last edited by Jasonhouse; August 28th, 2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old August 27th, 2015, 09:03 PM   #112
FloridaFuture

DOWNTOWN TAMPA | Altis Grand Central | 9 stories | 296 units | 5000 sq ft. re...

http://tampadeservesbetter.com/

^It's all about Altis. So it is "we deserve better"

koopalicious, Jasonhouse liked this post
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 10:16 PM   #113
koopalicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Deserves Better
We talk about Tampa becoming the Next Great American City and then we build wrap-around parking garages in one of its most historic commercial districts.
Wait, aren't you the guys leasing a crap load of surface parking in one of Tampa's most historic districts?

Jasonhouse liked this post
Old August 27th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #114
Animan

Likes (Received): 15

Good. I honestly never liked that project.
Animan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 08:20 AM   #115
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^I thought it sucked hard at first, and I was ready to go to the city council meeting and say so. But Altman made considerable improvements to it. At this point, it's pretty easy to demonstrate that it's a more urbane design than all but a few projects which have been approved since the recession by the city without contention.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampadeservesbetter.com
The Grand Central Avenue shopping district could add to this growing urban environment: a Grand Central Avenue that provides retail, on-street cafés, and entertainment. This is what the current zoning calls for and it’s what Tampa deserves in one of its most historic commercial neighborhoods: development that fosters community, supports local entrepreneurs, attracts national brands that respect the community’s unique character, and contributes to Tampa’s wellbeing.
I would like to know some specific examples of the kind of development they're referring to.

URBN Tampa Bay's Facebook page

koopalicious liked this post

Last edited by Jasonhouse; August 28th, 2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old August 30th, 2015, 02:50 AM   #116
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Oxford Exchange co-owner leads opposition to proposed Tampa apartment complex

By Jerome R. Stockfisch | Tribune Staff Jerome R. Stockfisch on Google+
Published: August 28, 2015 | Updated: August 29, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Opposition is intensifying over a proposal to build an apartment complex in Tampa’s Grand Central neighborhood, with a campaign under way to get the project squelched in the rezoning process.

Blake Casper, co-owner of the Oxford Exchange and head of the new “Tampa Deserves Better” campaign, said the 296-unit project behind his restaurant-coffee shop-bookstore doesn’t fit with the effort to make Grand Central a walkable retail and entertainment district.

“The way they designed this is, your apartment residents are going to use their cars, they’re going to park, they’re going to go into their unit, and they’re going to get back into their cars,” Casper said. “There’s nothing wrong with that — we need our cars. But this should be done in a thoughtful way, where you respect the streetscape and you encourage pedestrian traffic.”

Altman Development, the Boca Raton-based builder, said Casper’s concerns are unwarranted.
more here

http://www.tbo.com/news/education/ox...ampaign=buffer

FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 03:12 AM   #117
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 921

I understand the concern, but the developer has done a lot to address many of the concerns we had with the original proposal. Blake's main and only concern it seems is with parking, specifically the garage. Although having less parking in residential developments would be great to imagine, the current environment of transportation offers very little else for potential residents to use besides the bus, car, or biking/walking. They could add some bike racks and that would be nice, but I don't understand what else Blake is expecting to change.

TampaMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 03:18 AM   #118
koopalicious

Someone needs to explain to this guy that if he wants a more pedestrian-friendly project, sticking with the current zoning is exactly what he doesn't want. Developing this site under the existing CG zoning requires no notice, no public hearing... nothing. Someone can start pulling permits and build pretty much whatever auto-centric crap they want.
Old August 30th, 2015, 04:00 AM   #119
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
I understand the concern, but the developer has done a lot to address many of the concerns we had with the original proposal. Blake's main and only concern it seems is with parking, specifically the garage. Although having less parking in residential developments would be great to imagine, the current environment of transportation offers very little else for potential residents to use besides the bus, car, or biking/walking. They could add some bike racks and that would be nice, but I don't understand what else Blake is expecting to change.
The irony of course being that a significant chunk of the garage that Casper is complaining about being oversized, is there to provide parking for Casper's business.

And Altman did add bike racks and a bike repair station to the site plan, as well as room for a bus stop on Cleveland.

Casper doesn't like the two things many of us still don't like... The fact that the commercial along grand Central is still very much an afterthought and the building isn't really 'mixed-use'... and the massing of the overall building is very clunky with the garage/tower thing jutting up in the middle, offset to one side.

But where many of us look at it like, this is considerably better than most post-recession developments, Casper apparently wants perfection on this site. Still waiting to see if they're demanding the same quality throughout Tampa, or if they're basically being self serving. I'm supposed to be discussing this with them this week, so we'll see.

Last edited by Jasonhouse; August 30th, 2015 at 04:06 AM.
Old August 30th, 2015, 04:51 PM   #120
gstolze

Location: Hannover, Germany>Tampa Bay, Florida, USA>Hannover, Germany
Likes (Received): 326

I don't really unerstand what this guy's problem ist. The developer changed the design to the better and in my opinion, bringing in 296 residental units will add a lot of foot traffic. Yes people use their cars but I believe they will also use the neighborhood amenities without driving. I would like a floor more of residentials and ways to hide the garage a little better, but in general, I think the project is a win for the area.

gstolze no está en línea   Reply With Quote