search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2015, 09:18 PM   #41
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
I'm not sure they would build a tower on Captrust simply because it would block the views of this building especially since it's sandwiched all the way right up to Captrust.
The siting of this tower makes it so that to reasonably redevelop Captrust, you'd probably have to shift it slightly to the north and vacate the Whiting St. ROW as Kevin alluded to. Maybe they figure than do a land grab and create a second developable site that way, but the City should tell them to f-off if that's the case.

To me, it makes a lot more sense to simply move this tower to the south a bit, so that you can develop something where Captrust is and simply span part of it over the garage... or just make a larger garage and put two towers on it.

Anyway, all this just seems to mean that they're "fishing" as Jason said. Go for a (not a) substantial change so that you can market it and not spend months going through the rezoning process. I think if anything really serious was being proposed, they'd probably be consolidating the two parcels, blowing up the site plan, and starting over.

TPAMAN, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2015, 09:45 PM   #42
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

So anyone who checks URBN already saw this.

I drew the mass of 115 S Ashley into the skyline in Google Earth.

The full write up is here... FF did that part.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...66714190315003

Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:03 PM   #43
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 557

TBBJ article (pros and cons)

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...-downtown.html

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Del Mayberry; July 22nd, 2015 at 10:11 PM.
Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:08 PM   #44
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Mayberry View Post
Already posted

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...8&postcount=40

FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:16 PM   #45
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 557

missed that one.

Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:52 PM   #46
Brian72

Likes (Received): 963

The Captrust location could make a great private green space or even a public green space addition to this project. Understandably they would want to capitalize on the land value but I see going up on this lot could be an issue.

I see a restaurant / cafe with access to the Riverwalk and a private green area with some shade etc.

Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 11:17 PM   #47
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Here's the stuff I posted on FB about why the foundation isn't an issue.

Quote:
They fixed the foundation issues back in 2007. Won't be an issue now. Quote,"B&W Structural Designs finite element foundation geotechnical study"
Former 52-story Trump Tower Tampa condominium in downtown Tampa, Florida. A conventional foundation design was not appropriate due to the variable limestone geological formations. In response, the B&W design team worked together with geotechnical engineers to create a two-fold geological/structure finite element model to determine the proper foundation/structure combination for the 52-story structure." http://www.structural-designs.com/Fe...ects.html#2806

URBN Tampa Bay's Facebook page

Del Mayberry liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2015, 02:13 AM   #48
Havatampa

Likes (Received): 50

Why is everyone so certain this won't be built? Not saying it will, but the guy does seem to have a decent track record. Why not let it play out and see what happens?

Havatampa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 02:48 AM   #49
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havatampa View Post
Why is everyone so certain this won't be built? Not saying it will, but the guy does seem to have a decent track record. Why not let it play out and see what happens?
I think something similar to this will get built here...eventually. More then anything a lot of people on here have be burned out over the years due to all of the projects that were proposed and promised and then were either downsized, cancelled or have been delayed indefinitely. There's a tendency to be pessimistic on this board when something is proposed. Whether its deserved or not is another story.

But yeah comments earlier that were comparing this to ICON were totally baseless. This is an actual developer with a viable project. FAA may cut off 2-3 floors but that's about it.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 08:23 PM   #50
FloridaFuture

It's cool to see this get some national coverage, even if it's only getting said coverage due to Trump's name formally being attached to the site:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...2-story-tower/

Old July 23rd, 2015, 08:32 PM   #51
kmthurman

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian72 View Post
The Captrust location could make a great private green space or even a public green space addition to this project. Understandably they would want to capitalize on the land value but I see going up on this lot could be an issue.

I see a restaurant / cafe with access to the Riverwalk and a private green area with some shade etc.
This was my point about captrust. They aren't going to give us the building and it would be extremely expensive to buy it and tear it down. However, the underground parking and the other issues that make whiting exist like it is bad. It's literally the only parking left on the river and its a barrier to moving around in the area.

I am saying vacat the street, build a plaza that can connect MacDill to retail built out of their garage area (even if we still own it). It would extend the retail in the area, connect it to the Riverwalk & preserve the view corridor. We won't need another vehicle bridge in downtown & it won't prevent a pedestrian bridge.

kmthurman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:40 PM   #52
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Hope to see this project materialize and get built. It would be a great things for downtown to have a big project like this.

gstolze, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #53
ATampaArnold

Likes (Received): 129

I actually think it will get built because there is so much foot traffic on the river walk and its in such a good location and will be a destination onto itself since it has parking attached. The ground level retail is a must. When Trump was proposed there was no one walking in that area. I think it will get built but worry it was be shortened or end up only residential or some other variant
Old July 27th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #54
gstolze

Location: Hannover, Germany>Tampa Bay, Florida, USA>Hannover, Germany
Likes (Received): 331

I hope it gets built, too. I also hope that in the tong run, the Sheraton Hotel will be developed in the same way , possibly with open or partially open walk through plazas that connect the street to the riverwalk.
Old July 29th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #55
FloridaFuture

First time the developer is talking to the media since announcing the project. There's a Q&A at the link.

Quote:
Developer of former Trump Tower site bullish on Tampa Bay's "walkable'' downtowns
Susan Taylor MartinSusan Taylor Martin, Times Senior Correspondent
Tuesday, July 28, 2015 5:17pm

TAMPA — Mayor Bob Buckhorn and other city officials were thrilled last week when Feldman Equities submitted preliminary plans for what would be the tallest building on Florida's West Coast — a 52-story mixed-use tower on the riverfront site where Donald Trump in 2005 announced an extravagant condo project that never got off the ground.

Like Trump, Larry Feldman is a native New Yorker; unlike Trump, Feldman now lives in Tampa and has a proven track record in the bay area. He is co-owner of the Wells Fargo Center in downtown Tampa and three office buildings in downtown St. Petersburg. Raised in a family that started in real estate by building enclosures around plumbing equipment, Feldman successfully marketed projects in Manhattan — including a 40-story midtown office tower — before investing in the Orlando area. But for the past few years his focus has been on Tampa Bay's increasingly vibrant downtowns.
more here

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...lkable/2239058

Last edited by FloridaFuture; July 29th, 2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old July 29th, 2015, 08:53 AM   #56
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmthurman View Post
This was my point about captrust. They aren't going to give us the building and it would be extremely expensive to buy it and tear it down. However, the underground parking and the other issues that make whiting exist like it is bad. It's literally the only parking left on the river and its a barrier to moving around in the area.

I am saying vacat the street, build a plaza that can connect MacDill to retail built out of their garage area (even if we still own it). It would extend the retail in the area, connect it to the Riverwalk & preserve the view corridor. We won't need another vehicle bridge in downtown & it won't prevent a pedestrian bridge.

My guess after a closer look is that they're counting on access through the Captrust garage to the light at Whiting for egress, since cars tend to pile up as it is on Ashley, trying to turn right out onto Brorein there at the bridge. The office space and residential both create 'rush' traffic. So would probably have to keep driveway and ramp.

Imgsrc=google earth

URBN Tampa Bay's Facebook page

Brian72 liked this post

Last edited by Jasonhouse; July 29th, 2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old July 31st, 2015, 09:12 PM   #57
FloridaFuture

Not sure if this was noted before. Per city portal:

Quote:
Also, the developer proposes to provide 920 spaces for the proposed office, 226 are to be provided on site and the remaining 694 are to be provided off-site in an existing parking garage within 1000 feet of the site.
Old July 31st, 2015, 09:58 PM   #58
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

I presume they're referring to Ft Brooke Garage.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 03:40 AM   #59
tampaguy75

Likes (Received): 92

Great story on the pre-construction buyers of the original Trump Tower condos and how they lost half their deposits as a result of financing never being obtained. I find it literally irrepressible that a billionaire who was "sponsoring" the tower (even if only in name) would not pay those people back out of his own pocket. Sounds like a great future president?!?

Buyers still feel burned by Donald Trump after Tampa condo tower failure
Susan Taylor Martin, Times Senior Correspondent
Friday, July 31, 2015 11:03am

TAMPA — Jay Magner was watching the noon news one day when he heard that real estate tycoon Donald Trump and a group of local developers were planning a 52-story condo tower on the river in downtown Tampa.

"It changed the course of my life, literally,'' says Magner, who at the time owned a dollar store. "I thought, 'Oh my God, I could finagle that and live there.' "

Magner put down a deposit, joining dozens of other buyers eager to own part of what Trump called a property "so spectacular that it will redefine both Tampa's skyline and the market's expectations of luxury.''

A decade later, the city's skyline has indeed changed but not because of Trump Tower Tampa. Magner often walks or cycles by the acre and a half site, still weedy and empty.

"I lost $130,000,'' he says. "I didn't know people could take your money and not build the building.'' ....

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...ailure/2239499

tampaguy75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 07:42 AM   #60
gstolze

Location: Hannover, Germany>Tampa Bay, Florida, USA>Hannover, Germany
Likes (Received): 331

I don't know. I have a Feeling whenever a Project in St. Pete is planned, the Times is all enthusiastic but when a project in Tampa is planned, they try to cast some kind of doubt on it or like in this case, print a negative story that has nothing to do with the new developer.

Brian72, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
gstolze no está en línea   Reply With Quote