search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #1
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3952

CLEARWATER BEACH | J.W. Marriott & Residences | 15 stories | 166 hotel rooms | 36 units | APR

Quote:
Is a JW Marriott hotel in Clearwater Beach's future?
Susan Taylor MartinSusan Taylor Martin, Times Senior Correspondent
Friday, February 12, 2016 11:22am

CLEARWATER — Is a condo hotel under the JW Marriott name — one of the world's top luxury hotel brands — going up on Clearwater Beach?

On a visit to the Tampa Bay area last month, Marriott International chairman J.W. "Bill'' Marriott Jr. told the Tampa Bay Times that he had reviewed plans for such a hotel in Clearwater. And now, a developer says he has been in close contact with the company about building a 202-room, gulf-view hotel on the site of what is now the Wyndham Garden Clearwater Beach.

The Wyndham's owner, Uday Lele, discussed his plans this week following speculation about where a JW Marriott would go and who would build it. Lele said he and architect Oscar Benavides met with the 83-year-old Marriott in January for what was supposed to be a five-minute meeting but ran for nearly half an hour.
more here

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...future/2265173

Jasonhouse, TPAman22 liked this post
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2016, 06:55 PM   #2
TPAman22

Likes (Received): 280

Maybe will go back and look for the thread, but I remember when images for the "Views" hotel planned for this site were released, there was a JW Marriott logo on it. So when I saw the Bill Marriott article, I figured this was it, though the location on a less premier part of the beach had me second guessing.
TPAman22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 03:33 PM   #3
apartmentev

Likes (Received): 133

Man CWB is killing it lately. Good to see.

Brian72, ATampaArnold liked this post
apartmentev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 11:35 PM   #4
TPAman22

Wonder if JMC/Ocean Properties plans on moving forward with the Marquesas property next door like they originally said, which was when they finish Opal Sands. Only reason I'm not totally convinced is that there has been no update, they also announced plans for the one across from Opal Sands recently, and lastly, you wonder if the demand is in line with the new product being brought to the market. But if they did...envision three more 15 story towers (dual tower Marquesas + one across from Opal Sands), along with this 13 story JW Marriott.
Old February 16th, 2016, 02:52 PM   #5
apartmentev

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAman22 View Post
Wonder if JMC/Ocean Properties plans on moving forward with the Marquesas property next door like they originally said, which was when they finish Opal Sands. Only reason I'm not totally convinced is that there has been no update, they also announced plans for the one across from Opal Sands recently, and lastly, you wonder if the demand is in line with the new product being brought to the market. But if they did...envision three more 15 story towers (dual tower Marquesas + one across from Opal Sands), along with this 13 story JW Marriott.
The Opal Sands just opened. Website still says Feb 2016.

As for demand, a lot of these hotels are replacing old hotels so I think the demand is still there.
apartmentev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 10:27 AM   #6
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

Wonder how many are intl visitors, compared to before.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #7
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Wonder how many are intl visitors, compared to before.
Quote:
Visitors from the Northeast increased by 4.4 percent, while the number of travelers from the Midwest grew by 5.8 percent. Visitors from Europe grew by 7.1 percent while the increase from Latin America was 24.5 percent.
http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...tel-rooms.html

Jasonhouse, Tampa'sTime liked this post
Old February 27th, 2016, 04:12 AM   #8
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

^I meant just for Clearwater Beach. That's countywide.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 03:52 AM   #9
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 94

Clearwater was the beach that people could stay for a week for $45 a night...I am not Sorry, the new builds are nice but at $250 a night. So is it taxes?
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 05:07 AM   #10
FloridaFuture

Rooms much nicer, area much nicer (higher prop values), inflation, increased recognition (lower vacancy rates) are all driving the prices up.

There's no way you should be able to stay on CW Beach for $45 a night or anything close to it lol. Especially after all the city invested with the beach walk and the new bridge the current prices are more then justified. It's a blossoming world class destination. I'm sure a 5-star hotel is around the corner.

TPAman22, Jasonhouse, Brian72 liked this post
Old February 28th, 2016, 07:56 AM   #11
CubanBread

Likes (Received): 391

there are plenty of other beaches along the gulf coast someone can go to and stay at a hotel for 45$, this isn't 1950. Clearwater beach needs to keep growing.

Brian72, ATampaArnold liked this post
CubanBread no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 03:48 PM   #12
jay101

Likes (Received): 149

Hopefully what's going on in Clearwater beach trends south to Madeira beach, treasure island, & st.pete beach.
jay101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #13
TPAman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
Rooms much nicer, area much nicer (higher prop values), inflation, increased recognition (lower vacancy rates) are all driving the prices up.

There's no way you should be able to stay on CW Beach for $45 a night or anything close to it lol. Especially after all the city invested with the beach walk and the new bridge the current prices are more then justified. It's a blossoming world class destination. I'm sure a 5-star hotel is around the corner.
Sounds alot like the comparison of Disney World back in the day to what it is today. Florida has changed and so has the tourism.
Old February 29th, 2016, 02:48 PM   #14
Brian72

Likes (Received): 963

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat212 View Post
Clearwater was the beach that people could stay for a week for $45 a night...I am not Sorry, the new builds are nice but at $250 a night. So is it taxes?
Its been expensive for many years, the quality of the motel / hotels wasn't all that great.

I had family come a couple years ago and we went to various motels along Coronado and Hamden, they were a couple hundred and not sleepable....I much rather have the amenities of the new places. For the number one beach in the country, the cost is not bad really....

ATampaArnold liked this post
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 02:50 PM   #15
Brian72

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanBread View Post
there are plenty of other beaches along the gulf coast someone can go to and stay at a hotel for 45$, this isn't 1950. Clearwater beach needs to keep growing.
Where can you get a room that cheap anywhere lol.

Seriously, I can't imagine a room without bed bugs for that much along any stretch of Pinellas beaches...
Old March 7th, 2016, 04:12 AM   #16
CubanBread

Likes (Received): 391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian72 View Post
Where can you get a room that cheap anywhere lol.

Seriously, I can't imagine a room without bed bugs for that much along any stretch of Pinellas beaches...
Yeah, to be honest I don't know why I said that lol. you can't really find a hotel room anywhere that isn't strictly for sex with hookers for under 60$ and that will almost certainly be an awful place.
CubanBread no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 04:29 PM   #17
Brian72

I'm listen'n

ATampaArnold liked this post
Old April 10th, 2017, 10:11 PM   #18
TPAman22

Source: Tampa Bay Times

Quote:
After four years of planning, one of the world's top luxury hotel brands — JW Marriott — finally could be coming to Clearwater Beach.
Sales are to begin this week for 36 fully furnished JW Marriott Residences, the first of their kind in the United States. They would occupy four upper floors of what also would be a 166-room JW Marriott hotel, one of only about 75 worldwide.
But on Monday, Marriott confirmed that it had given Lele the green light to launch sales of the condos on the Multiple Listing Service under the JW Marriott name. The one-, two- and three-bedroom units, ranging from about 850 to 1,350 square feet, will be priced from $550,000 to $1.3 million and could be occupied by the owners for a month at a time, Lele said. When rented out, the condos would serve as suites for the hotel and be managed by Marriott.
More: http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...tel-to/2319802

gstolze liked this post
Old April 11th, 2017, 03:05 AM   #19
FloridaFuture

^Sweet.

Don't think those condos will be on the market too long. The article mentions they already have a construction loan as well.
Old April 11th, 2017, 06:14 PM   #20
TPAman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
^Sweet.

Don't think those condos will be on the market too long. The article mentions they already have a construction loan as well.
As the article mentioned, they are already on sale (checked them out on zillow) and prices top out at high 900s/sq.ft. Between the success of the Virage in Tampa, One St. Petersburg in downtown St. Pete, I think Clearwater Beach is another area that could support new luxury condos. It has already supported higher end hotels, so I've got to imagine that it could support new high end condos, especially given the J.W. Marriott name.
The Tampa Bay Times also had an article several days ago about 5 star hotels in Tampa Bay: http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...coming/2319423

Quote:
Plasencia said developers —- he would not name them — already have sites selected.

"I think we will hear of at least one, if not two new projects in the next six months," he predicted. "Plans are pretty far along."

Tantalizingly, the list of new hotel projects that Plasencia's company compiled includes one with 500 rooms in Tampa's Channel District, which is being redeveloped on a grand scale by a partnership that includes Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik.

Brian72 liked this post