search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #1
Casey

Likes (Received): 215

BAYSHORE | Virage Bayshore | 24 stories | 287 feet | 71 units | site prep

Virage Bayshore
24 stories
287 feet
71 units
Approved
Ascentia Development Group

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bayshore restaurant sold for redevelopment

A joint venture of Batson-Cook Development Company and Ascentia Development Group closed on the Colonnade Restaurant property at 3401 Bayshore Blvd. on Tuesday.

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...velopment.html

Last edited by FloridaFuture; April 14th, 2017 at 09:47 PM.
Casey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #2
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3952

BAYSHORE | Colonade Redevelopment

The Colonade is closed and an unknown condo tower by Ascentia is coming.

Quote:
Bayshore restaurant sold for redevelopment

Ashley Gurbal Kritzer
Reporter
Tampa Bay Business Journal

An iconic Tampa restaurant has been sold to a developer planning a residential building on the site.

A joint venture of Batson-Cook Development Company and Ascentia Development Group closed on the Colonnade Restaurant property at 3401 Bayshore Blvd. on Tuesday.
More here

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...velopment.html
Old April 6th, 2016, 05:26 PM   #3
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 557

Amen.
Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 05:38 PM   #4
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 62

I'm sure Smokey and Dicky were well compensated for this space.

Guess the retirees will have to find a new dining spot.

Del Mayberry liked this post
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 05:52 PM   #5
FloridaFuture

The food was iffy but this was one of the only non residential uses on Bayahore. It's probably too much to ask but a restaurant in the new building would be nice.

Jasonhouse, ATampaArnold liked this post
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 05:55 PM   #6
Buckeye Nation

Likes (Received): 601

Thank goodness!! I drive by this twice a day, and can't tell you the number of times in the morning where we say how great a spot this would be for a sunrise breakfast or coffee.

I'm not actually for the condo if they don't put a restaurant in the bottom or a roof top bar. This is THE prime location on Bayshore.
Buckeye Nation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #7
Brian72

Likes (Received): 963

Interesting, similar to the Colonnade in Atlanta in age, style of cooking and look of the building.

Never been here but the one in Atlanta wasn't all the great IMO.
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 10:02 PM   #8
Del Mayberry

I wasn't impressed when I went there back in 98 or 99.
Don't see anything on the city portal current for this address.
Old April 6th, 2016, 10:06 PM   #9
FloridaFuture

The sale just closed yesterday. They haven't proposed anything yet.

It'll probably end up in the 20-25 story range, single use.

Jasonhouse liked this post
Old April 6th, 2016, 10:17 PM   #10
FloridaFuture

Quote:
The joint venture paid $6.2 million for the property, according to Hillsborough County deeds filed Wednesday. The price includes the 1.63-acre Colonnade site on Bayshore and an additional half-acre parcel at 2907 W. Julia St.
Quote:
The parcel at the southwest corner of West Julia Street and Bayshore Boulevard is one of the last on Bayshore Boulevard specifically entitled for a high-rise tower, according to a joint statement from the developments.
The original article was updated

densitymatters liked this post
Old April 6th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #11
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

It's zoned RM-50... Highly unlikely to see any commercial there. They would have to get it rezoned to PD, and expose themselves to the whims of city council.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2016, 03:14 PM   #12
Brian72

Bayshore has always been a residential road with the views and linear parks.

There is no reason to add commercial IMO, the roads are already high traffic without it.

For those who choose to live there, its really their decision as investors and since its never been a commercial cooridor, what those residents want should really come first.

If having dining and retail were a factor, things would have evolved by demand alone.

All I am saying is I am ok with the current status and not meaning to suggest I am opposed to any commercial if it comes in.

Its just not going to be relevant anyways for miles to have a couple commercial spaces, won't change a thing in terms of urban walkability both in the short and long term....it is what it is, miles of single family homes and new residential high rises..
Old April 7th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #13
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^I always love your revisionist history posts, where you claim something silly, like "Bayshore has always been a residential road", and then proceed to assert your personal ideology of post war auto dependency and segregated zoning, as if it's just the natural way the world works.

Bayshore is clearly not a commercial thoroughfare, nor should it be. But in its past it has had a variety of businesses ranging from fishing, hospital, hotel, offices, event space and restaurants. Shockingly, the mix of residential and various businesses started becoming more heavily tilted to that of a bedroom community after the streetcar was dug up after WWII, and then especially after the city changed the zoning in the 70s, making commercial illegal to develop virtually the entire length of the road.

The "free market" didn't make Bayshore Blvd's built environment look the way it does. Zoning did.

http://www.hillsborough.communityatl...storicPast.pdf

Last edited by Jasonhouse; April 7th, 2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old April 8th, 2016, 12:28 AM   #14
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 128

Well it's a good thing there might not be some opposition from folks IF some commercial is included in the new site plan considering that's what's been there for decades. Whoa! I was getting nervous this project might get killed too preventing Tampa from becoming the city it's promised to be! Thought I might have to move to find my hearts desire. Close call!
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 01:13 AM   #15
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

I expect they'll stick to the zoning and do a condo tower with no commercial. There's a grand oak on the site, but it look like it's close enough to a property line to go around and not affect the scale of the project. Which means they should be able to get approved without needing a public hearing/vote. If they cut the tree down or try to add a restaurant, they risk the whole project getting blown up from the same moron NIMBYs who have already cost the community millions.

URBN Tampa Bay's Facebook page

TPAMAN liked this post
Old April 8th, 2016, 02:03 PM   #16
Brian72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
^I always love your revisionist history posts, where you claim something silly, like "Bayshore has always been a residential road", and then proceed to assert your personal ideology of post war auto dependency and segregated zoning, as if it's just the natural way the world works.

Bayshore is clearly not a commercial thoroughfare, nor should it be. But in its past it has had a variety of businesses ranging from fishing, hospital, hotel, offices, event space and restaurants. Shockingly, the mix of residential and various businesses started becoming more heavily tilted to that of a bedroom community after the streetcar was dug up after WWII, and then especially after the city changed the zoning in the 70s, making commercial illegal to develop virtually the entire length of the road.

The "free market" didn't make Bayshore Blvd's built environment look the way it does. Zoning did.

http://www.hillsborough.communityatl...storicPast.pdf
Bayshore is lined with very high end residential single family homes and multi family mid and high rises.

The value of the land and views it provides lead to the current development, you can assert zoning made it happen however I will assert that the people who were willing to pay for those locations brought it to its current state. To say "zoning did it" is like saying "you didn't build that"....zoning is just there and if desired, it would have been changed. Absolutely the free market did all of the development there, the money, the work and the investment all by private owners. If the majority wanted commercial there or if the market warranted it, it would have happened.

The streetcar served little purpose and in those days, they didn't hold on to things because they were neat or cool, the pulled up those tracks because they simply weren't needed any longer.

Many of those homes are from early last century as well.

Glad you appreciate my objective and realistic views not slanted by my ideology.

As mentioned, I am not opposed to commercial being incorporated into Bayshore, its just obvious why its is the way it is today.

Last edited by Brian72; April 8th, 2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old April 8th, 2016, 03:58 PM   #17
NaqoyqatZ

Likes (Received): 182

He was not asserting. He made an argument based on reason and provided some evidence. What you are doing is argument by assertion. Sorry, I felt the difference was worth pointing out.
NaqoyqatZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 06:35 PM   #18
Del Mayberry

80 plus units?

Quote:
The developers plan to build at least 80 luxury condos, with views of the downtown Tampa skyline and Hillsborough Bay, on the parcel at the southwest corner of W Julia Street and Bayshore Boulevard.
Quote:
The developers hosted a focus group with married couples who live in South Tampa this week to get an idea of what the design and amenities should be for the property. They plan to market it to "empty nesters" who are interested in a luxury condominium lifestyle.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...yshore/2273083

Tampa'sTime liked this post
Old April 14th, 2016, 07:11 PM   #19
FloridaFuture

^Sounds low until you remember Aquatica is only 31 units and Bliss is only 29 units.

The lot has a 250 foot height limit so this won't be more then that height-wise though which should be 23 stories for a project like this. ~4 units a floor sounds believable.

Brian72 liked this post
Old April 14th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #20
Del Mayberry

Thanks. I'm glad someone could do the math to figure how high it could be. Didn't really expect anything higher anyway. Bayshore is way overdue for something new.