search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 3rd, 2017, 12:25 AM   #961
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3952

Stadiums have always been about attracting teams and being able to host concerts: this has a return that isn't monetary. Sports teams foster community pride and identity, which is a public good.

Now of course YMMV, one because not all teams have the same impact on their community and two because not everyone is into sports that much.

Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2017, 12:36 AM   #962
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

^To that point, there are only about 300,000 paying sports fans in the greater Tampa Bay region. That's the estimated total pool of locals who spend money on local pro sports teams. The other 2.7 million people or so get billed to subsidize sports fans' lifestyle for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamBay View Post
"The Lightning have had an extremely successful home attendance record and how much has the area around the Arena benefited from it, outside of a few restaurants?"

I don't know...a $3 billion investment seems pretty big to me!
The medical school and downtown itself is the selling point for that, much less so the arena.

URBN Tampa Bay's Facebook page

NaqoyqatZ liked this post
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 12:42 AM   #963
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
^To that point, there are only about 300,000 paying sports fans in the greater Tampa Bay region. That's the estimated total pool of locals who spend money on local pro sports teams. The other 2.7 million people or so get billed to subsidize sports fans' lifestyle for them.
Even if you only watch the games at home or bar, you still get benefit from that public good.

I'm not saying every stadium deal is good, I'm just saying the benefits go beyond the butts in the seats.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 01:32 AM   #964
NaqoyqatZ

Likes (Received): 182

I just don't see why they can't come up with a more equitable solution. The community footing some or all of the bill should receive an equal percentage back on events hosted there. Instead sports leagues seem to like to resort to extortion in order for them to keep their team.
NaqoyqatZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 04:16 AM   #965
TamBay

Likes (Received): 55

I should be clear; every city's situation is different. For instance, the Browns stadium is pretty much only going to be used for the Browns. I'm sure they get a few concerts and Monster Jams, but for the most part, it is only going to be used for the Browns.

Raymond James is used for other big events that Cleveland would never get, namely the Outback Bowl, the CFB National Championship game, Super Bowls. These events do bring income to the city, which is why I don't have a problem with a public/private venture. The public benefits as well as the owners.
TamBay está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 04:23 AM   #966
TamBay

btw...this was my argument for opposing Rick Scott's decision to kill the high speed rail. I realize that in some areas rail is a waste of money. For instance, who is going to use a high speed train between Milwaukee and Green Bay (atleast enough to justify the cost). However, with the millions of tourists that visit Florida every year, i believe the ridership would more than justify the costs.

My point is, although stadiums may not be sound investments in other areas, I think it would be good for this area.
Old February 8th, 2017, 03:15 PM   #967
Brian72

Likes (Received): 963

Very few people would take the train from Orlando to Tampa only to have to rent a car when they arrive.

To the topic, stadiums are a venue for much more than the teams they represent.

With all the economic impacts, need for additional service vendors for repairs and maintenance from parking attendants to AC repairs, there is a real impact.

Call it a flag for the city and place to host events that other cities do not have...totally worth it.

densitymatters liked this post
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 08:28 AM   #968
FloridaFuture

Not sure how I missed this article from a month ago

Quote:
Tampa developer sues Housing Authority over public records for ‘Encore’ renewal project

PHIL AMMANN
Feb 22, 2017, 4:39 pm

A Tampa developer is suing the Tampa Housing Authority, claiming officials are holding back documents related to a sprawling urban renewal in the neighborhood between downtown and Ybor City.

Pinnacle Holdings Group is accusing the THA of withholding key documents from public records for the “controversial handling” of Encore, the ambitious mixed-use project to replace Central Park Village. Frank Donald DeBose is president of Pinnacle Group, located at 4830 W. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 600 in Tampa
more here

http://saintpetersblog.com/tampa-dev...newal-project/

Brian72 liked this post
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 07:30 PM   #969
FloridaFuture

First retail shops coming to Encore

http://www.83degreesmedia.com/devnew...own-tampa.aspx
Old May 26th, 2017, 10:42 PM   #970
FloridaFuture

May pics:

http://encoretampa.com/new-may-16-ae...mpa-evolution/

FLAWDA-FELLA, Tampa'sTime liked this post
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 12:35 AM   #971
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 1363

For the life of me, I can't seem to find at least one construction crane in the entire 1st image. From an outsider's perspective, it would appear that there is absolutely no current development activity going on at all in the city's CBD.
Old May 27th, 2017, 12:52 AM   #972
USF802

Likes (Received): 675

Well in picture 1 is Nine15's crane....and in picture 2 is Channel Clubs crane...both very visible from I275 junction. Also visible is Heights crawler crane, Crescent crawler crane and UT's dorm project from the 275 DT bend

FLAWDA-FELLA liked this post
USF802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 01:14 AM   #973
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAWDA-FELLA View Post
For the life of me, I can't seem to find at least one construction crane in the entire 1st image. From an outsider's perspective, it would appear that there is absolutely no current development activity going on at all in the city's CBD.
There's two tower cranes and two crawler cranes in the pictures, plus Manor is still under construction but they've already taken their crane down.
Old May 28th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #974
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF802 View Post
Well in picture 1 is Nine15's crane....and in picture 2 is Channel Clubs crane...both very visible from I275 junction. Also visible is Heights crawler crane, Crescent crawler crane and UT's dorm project from the 275 DT bend
Yeah, you and I both know what is currently u/c in the city's core, but for an outside observer, all of the cranes that you have mentioned are not that visible due to the quality of the images. Just sayin'
Old May 31st, 2017, 05:51 AM   #975
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 941

Is there and cons of making some of the units Section 8? I know there is a negative stigma on Section 8 housing, so would converting some units (which is up for debate and approval this Thursday) hinder future development on the the remaining Encore lots?
Old August 18th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #976
Casey

Likes (Received): 215

Grocery and hotel deals in reach for Tampa Encore project

Quote:
TAMPA — After failing to land both Publix and Walmart, the Tampa Housing Authority says it is close to a deal to bring another well-known grocer to its Encore project.

And that may not be the only development at the 28-acre mixed-income project on the northeast edge of downtown Tampa. Talks are also underway with a hotel chain to build two hotels, Moore said. One would be a 250-room hotel aimed at millennials; the other, a 200-room hotel for more upscale travelers.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...roject/2334232

FLAWDA-FELLA liked this post
Casey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 01:50 PM   #977
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Good to see that there are more hotels in the pipeline coming to downtown in addition to what is already planned.
Old August 18th, 2017, 02:13 PM   #978
Brian72

Likes (Received): 963

Seems about right, the original phase is basically complete....the Nine 15 is nearby and almost completed so it seems reasonable that private investment would be ready to move forward. Very slow project, too bad they could not have done more of these buildings at the same time, although it seems like this is a good time for the downtown market, maybe even better in a year or two once the Vinik buildings are rising up.
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 02:38 PM   #979
mike1115

Likes (Received): 105

Glad to see they rejected Wal-Mart because they wanted pave over an entire block just for parking. Unfortunately with the Tampa Park apartments being so close I think there's a bigger concern over safety that's holding this area back, along with being isolated from the core of both downtown and Channelside. Get rid of the Tampa Park apartments and start filling in all the vacant/parking lot blocks surrounding this and it will develop much more quickly.
mike1115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 07:22 PM   #980
TamBay

Tampa Park Apartment is the perfect spot for a new Rays stadium!!!

Tampa'sTime liked this post

Tags
tampa-projects