search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #81
TampaTower

Likes (Received): 0

County wants say in project
Hillsborough commissioners say they'll create a taxing district for Central Park, but they want to know how the money is spent.
By BILL VARIAN, Times Staff Writer
Published June 8, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TAMPA - Hillsborough County commissioners agreed to create a special taxing district to help remake the blighted Central Park Village public housing area near downtown Wednesday - but only if they're given some say-so in how the money is spent.
Commissioners want two seats on the board that would govern that specially designated redevelopment area and eight others that already have been created by the city of Tampa. And they want to be able to appoint two more to a citizen advisory board that will weigh in on decisions related to redevelopment in and around Central Park.

They also are pushing for a half-dozen other measures to ensure that the working poor and minorities can land jobs and buy homes in the area.

"I have a major problem with what has been handed to us here today,'' said Commissioner Tom Scott, who pitched those measures and others in response to the city's request for county support. "We asked the city for a real partnership and accountability. It seems like they don't want that.''

The board voted 4-2, with Commissioners Mark Sharpe and Kathy Castor, two of the strongest backers on the board for creating the district, opposing the approach.

City Attorney David Smith told commissioners he thinks those demands will be deal breakers when presented to the Tampa City Council today. While saying he's not even clear what the commissioners are seeking, he characterized it as a last-minute maneuver that leverages Central Park residents in an effort to score political points.

However, City Council members reached Wednesday night said they are at least willing to explore the proposal if the law allows it. Currently, they are the only representatives on the body that governs the city's special taxing districts - known as the Community Redevelopment Agency - even though much of its money comes from tax dollars that residents in those districts pay to the county.

But a recent change to state law would let county commissioners serve on CRAs after July 1.

"There's county money in the deal. Why shouldn't they have a seat at the table?" council member Shawn Harrison said. "Any opportunity we as a city have to sit down and work cooperatively with the county, we should take."

The city is seeking to create a so-called community redevelopment area and special taxing district for the 143 acres adjacent to downtown that includes the 28-acre Central Park complex. A portion of all future increases in property taxes collected in the neighborhood, including county taxes, would be dedicated to things like new roads and drainpipes in that immediate area for the next 30 years.

Times staff writer Janet Zink contributed to this report.
TampaTower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #82
Tampa610

Likes (Received): 2

Stroms needs to use some logic. This will not be Cabrini Green! How is placing 800 upper class residents in a residential tower any different than 600 low-income residents in a residential tower? The Cabrini Green project was shotty quality and lacked amenities. Additionally it wasn't mixed use or mixed income. What does Storms care about poor people anyway? Isn't she the one who wants to cut bus service to the working poor as well as cut funding for the county sponsored health care program?

If managed well the towers will be great places to live and a great environment for low-income residents.
Tampa610 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #83
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa610
What does Storms care about poor people anyway? Isn't she the one who wants to cut bus service to the working poor as well as cut funding for the county sponsored health care program?
Damn those details, Tampa610.

We're not supposed to look at her pathetic record. We're supposed to concentrate on her pro-family rhetoric.
Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #84
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

I swear to God, the "leadership" we Hillsborough residents are stuck with is absolutely shameful... It's no wonder the county commisioners people ran for public office... Because they were probably too full of shit to make it in the private sector... Especially Rhonda Storms, who is a toxic waste of human life.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 04:23 AM   #85
Quegiebo
SoHo

Council Delays Vote On Central Park Village Plan
Posted June 08, 2006 at 11:08 AM

BY JOHN W. ALLMAN
The Tampa Tribune

TAMPA - Any vote on an effort to revitalize Central Park Village and its surrounding neighborhood won’t happen until next week, allowing Tampa city officials time to thoroughly examine a new deal being proposed by Hillsborough County commissioners.

The Tampa City Council, acting in its capacity as the city’s Community Redevelopment Agency, voted unanimously this morning to postpone discussion of a proposed redevelopment plan for 143 acres between downtown and Ybor City, including the blighted Central Park public housing property, until June 15.

David Smith, city attorney, said the extra time was needed to review a 4-2 vote Wednesday by the county commission that approved the CRA designation with two controversial addendums. Commissioner Tom Scott demanded that the county be allowed to claim two seats on the Community Redevelopment Agency, per a new state law that takes effect in July. He also wants the city to allow the county to pick two citizens to sit on a Central Park advisory panel. The city, which has eight existing CRAs, historically appoints a community panel to oversee each one’s progress.

Scott’s demands, which took many city and county staff by surprise, led to the split vote. Commissioners Mark Sharpe and Kathy Castor, who both said they support revitalizing Central Park Village and its surrounding area, voted against Scott’s motion because of its late arrival and a number of questions surrounding the legality of what Scott wanted.

The CRA designation is critical to prolonged efforts by the Tampa Housing Authority to replace the aging 28-acre Central Park Village with a new mixed-income housing community. Bank of America and other private investors have pitched a plan to redevelop the site, but the deal hinges on revenue generated by a special taxing district that only is created if the CRA is approved. The tax revenue would allow for necessary infrastructure repairs such as road and water/sewer system repairs.

http://tboblogs.com/index.php/newswi..._village_plan/
Old June 9th, 2006, 05:13 AM   #86
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 261

Ugh. So, the question is... who is worse? The county commission or the city council? It's a toss up... ;P
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 05:35 AM   #87
zerobullchip
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

County. I think the mayor is more of a problem in Tampa. She is out of the "network" so to say and does not come accross as diplomatic. A sort of G W Bush in a skirt.
zerobullchip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #88
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

^I wouldn't dare compare Iorio to Bush... Are you kidding me?

The City Council isn't exactly with it, but they're a damn sight better than the County Commision... I think of it like this, If everything in the county/city was controlled by the City Council, life might possibly improve... If the county commision totally ran the show, I would move ASAP.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #89
Quegiebo
SoHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse
^I wouldn't dare compare Iorio to Bush... Are you kidding me?

The City Council isn't exactly with it, but they're a damn sight better than the County Commision... I think of it like this, If everything in the county/city was controlled by the City Council, life might possibly improve... If the county commision totally ran the show, I would move ASAP.

Save some room on the truck for my stuff, Jason!!!
Old June 11th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #90
thehappysmith
Two-bit Hack

Likes (Received): 12

I think the real question now is, what does the city do?
If Tom Scott's proposal turns out to be illegal until 1 July, do they sit and wait until 1 July? If they do, what happens to the project in the interim? What will the developer decide to do?

Scott has done something very... actually, I thought it was politically astute for a while, but now i'm not so sure. He's running for a seat on the city council. Is this his way of guaranteeing himself a seat at the table before the election so he can campaign on it? I believe--and someone please correct me if I'm wrong--that his current commission seat, and the council seat he's running for, both include the Central Park area, so it's not like he's putting his fingers someplace they don't belong.

On the other hand, he's also being rather foolish, because by asking to have county representation on the CRA he's creating further problems for other CRAs down the road, CRAs that he likely won't have any special interest in. So he's poisoning the well for no real reason, in other words--no real reason apart from seeming to be interested in the poor people in Central Park.

The city's in a tight spot now, too. If the lawyers say they can approve Scott's proposal, they basically have to. Not doing so would result in the county not releasing the money and killing the project, and it would allow the county--Scott in particular--to claim the city killed the project. And if the project is killed, no matter what weapon is used, I think we can all assume no developer will look at Central Park again for at least a decade. Tom Scott knows that and that's what he's banking on.

In my opinion this makes Tom Scott El Supremo Jackass Numero Uno, besting even Ronda Storms in this latest round of competition for the title. If the proposal ends up going down because of his little attempted power grab, I hope to God the voters in his district (myself included) fire his ass. I'm sure it won't happen, but if he kills Central Park there really should be repercussions.
thehappysmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 07:24 PM   #91
Tampa610

Tom Scott

Actually Scott is running for County Commission again, but this time against Mark Sharpe. Scott decided he wanted to remain on the Commission so is looking to run for the Countywide seat. He announced these plans and filled the paper work a couple weeks ago.
Old June 12th, 2006, 01:19 AM   #92
thehappysmith
Two-bit Hack

Really? Well now that makes a little more sense in an unpleasant sort of way. This means he's running for an at-large seat, then, yes? So we can ALL vote against him?
thehappysmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #93
Tampa610

That is correct. His is running for an at large seat. Countywide. We can all vote for hime or against him.
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #94
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 88

Where does he stand as far as development and the regular people?
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #95
Quegiebo
SoHo

Council OKs Central Park Plan
By JOHN W. ALLMAN The Tampa Tribune

Published: Jun 16, 2006

TAMPA - City and county officials struck a conciliatory tone Thursday, acknowledging a difference in opinion but pledging to try to bring relief to one of Tampa's most blighted neighborhoods.

Even as Tampa City Council members unanimously denied a request by Hillsborough County to secure two seats on the city's Community Redevelopment Agency, they approved a redevelopment designation for 143 acres between downtown and Ybor City that includes the deteriorating Central Park Village public housing complex.

The vote, while striking down two of county Commissioner Tom Scott's stipulations, offered hope for residents who have waited two years for a new plan to be approved.

And it appeared to placate county officials, who were told their request to join the CRA board, which oversees each of the city's eight existing redevelopment areas, could be reconsidered later.

"Today, it should be totally about the best interest of the people of Central Park," City Councilman Kevin White said. "I don't think one disagreement should stop progress of a people or particular area."

Now the issue returns to the county June 21 for a final decision.

If approved next week, a flurry of activity is expected. Bank of America would begin working with the Tampa Housing Authority on a plan to redevelop the 28-acre Central Park site, combining low-income housing with upscale market-rate condominiums, retail shopping and commercial business space.

Housing officials have spent months prepping the 1,300-plus housing residents at Central Park to move out starting July 10. The relocation is expected to last up to a year.

Scott, who had asked for the two county CRA seats, kept quiet throughout Thursday's meeting.

Afterward, he expressed no regret at forcing the discussion. He said the city had accepted most of his recommendations.

"I hope for the best at our next meeting," he said.

This the second attempt in two years to redevelop the area between downtown Tampa and Ybor City. An effort by the Civitas Group failed in 2004 after being denied by the county.

City Attorney David Smith, who delivered an 11-page opinion late Wednesday as to why the city should not consider changing its CRA board, told the council it could revisit the request in July.

That's when a new state law, which has yet to be signed, is expected to take effect. The law would allow, for the first time, county officials to hold dual office, serving on both the commission and the CRA board.

Smith cautioned the council that taking any action before the law was enacted would be too great a risk. If the law was found to be unconstitutional, as Smith said he believes it could be, the county would assume control of the city's interest. "We want to work with the county," he said, "not for the county."

County Attorney Renee Lee disagreed, saying the county only wanted a voice, and not to undermine the city's redevelopment authority.

"This law is not illegal," she said. "It's the same law that allows you to sit as the city council and CRA board."

Smith also suggested that the county, by demanding a seat at the CRA table, was violating a 2003 agreement between the two governments that gives sole discretion over redevelopment areas to the city.

County Administrator Pat Bean said the city needs to hold up its end of the deal as well. She said the city had failed to meet a condition of the agreement by not providing annual reports on both the progress of each redevelopment area, and an explanation of how tax-increment financing has been spent. She alleged that the city might be withholding tax-increment financing funds from the county.

With a CRA designation, a special taxing district is created. The revenue generated by the district is split by the two governments and can be used to make community repairs.

White said he will ask staff to make sure the agreement is being followed and that the county is receiving the right information.

Contact John W. Allman at [email protected] or (813) 259-7915.

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBGN5D0IOE.html
Old June 17th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #96
tampamobster21

It is about time. Are they still going to have the apartments vacated by July?
Old June 17th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #97
zerobullchip
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Now all we need is to somehow get rid of the even uglier pink apartments next door. Those are not part of Central Park so I don't see how that is going to clean up the area.
zerobullchip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #98
tampamobster21

It will make it a little bit better.
Old June 18th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #99
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3890

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobullchip
Now all we need is to somehow get rid of the even uglier pink apartments next door. Those are not part of Central Park so I don't see how that is going to clean up the area.

Those apartments aren't selling supposidly so they can cash in later, which pretty much sucks for everyone especially the central park developers.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:41 PM   #100
youngkg
Tampa - St Pete

Central Park Redevelopment Approved

Central Park Exhales
Skip directly to the full story.
By JOHN W. ALLMAN The Tampa Tribune

Published: Jun 22, 2006

TAMPA - After years of false starts, dashed hopes and well-earned skepticism, residents of Central Park Village and its surrounding neighborhood can breathe easier.

Change is coming, spurred by a unanimous vote Wednesday by the Hillsborough County Commission to approve a 143-acre redevelopment area between downtown Tampa and Ybor City that includes the deteriorating public housing complex.

"It was a big hurdle we got over," said Jerome Ryans, Tampa Housing Authority president, minutes after the vote. "Now people can quit speculating and get something done."

The housing authority next will meet with Bank of America to vote on a partnership agreement. Bank of America has proposed building a mixed-use, mixed-income neighborhood on the 28-acre Central Park Village site, incorporating low-income apartments with market-rate housing, retail and commercial office space.

The bank also wants to refurbish Perry Harvey Park and convert a neighborhood church to a black history museum.

Housing authority officials had been moving forward with plans to relocate more than 1,300 Central Park residents, even before the county's decision. The move will begin July 10 and is expected to take up to a year.

The partnership agreement could be discussed Tuesday at the housing authority's board meeting.

"It's been very challenging," said Roxanne Amoroso, Bank of America's vice president of Community Development Banking. "This is such a significant opportunity for the residents."

Wednesday's vote wasn't without drama - or controversy.

The commission also approved a motion to seek a court opinion on what has become a sticking point for not only Central Park, but also the other eight redevelopment areas in Tampa.

At issue is whether a new state law allows county officials to sit on the city's Community Redevelopment Agency board.

That question likely won't be resolved for six months to a year, said David Smith, city attorney. The county and city jointly will ask a Hillsborough County circuit court judge to clarify House Bill 1583. If signed by Gov. Jeb Bush, the law will take effect July 1.

The ruling, however, would not force the city to comply.

The outcome of Wednesday's vote never was certain. The city's request for the Central Park redevelopment area, which also had to be approved by the county, was expected to pass June 7.

Commissioner Tom Scott, however, surprised his colleagues and others by demanding that 11 stipulations, including two county seats on the city CRA board, be met in order to secure his vote.

Scott's demands brought about a flurry of legal activity between the two governments. Each side reached a different conclusion. The city council last week voted not to change the makeup of the CRA board, casting the issue back into the county's lap.

The back and forth kept both sides on edge. The county commission had killed an earlier attempt to redevelop Central Park, voting down a 2004 proposal by the Civitas Group.

Scott, whose district includes the redevelopment area, once again took center stage Wednesday. He asked a number of questions that caused housing, city and bank officials to shift uncomfortably in their seats. It was unclear how he would vote until he made a motion to approve the deal.

"My passion for my constituents and my district was viewed as hostile and intimidating," he said. "I make no apologies today for how I represent my constituents."

Commissioner Brian Blair brought up a volatile issue. He suggested that the city has knowingly withheld tax revenue from the county from other redevelopment areas.

Each redevelopment area creates a special taxing district whose revenue is split between the two governments.

Much of it goes back into the community to fund infrastructure repairs, but leftover money can be returned to the respective governments each year.

Eric Johnson, county budget director, said as much as $1 million may have been withheld. He threatened to seek an auditor general's opinion if the city refused to provide information clarifying how the money had been used.

Smith said the city would answer any questions.

Contact John W. Allman at [email protected] or at (813) 259-7915.

http://news.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBV0K5LQOE.html
youngkg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
tampa-projects