search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2006, 09:31 AM   #121
Tampa on the move.

Likes (Received): 87

There are going to be some 20 stories at the CPD..
Tampa on the move. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2006, 02:12 PM   #122
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 88

yeah three of them...stcksoffire.com said that most of them are going to be like 5-7 stories, but a couple could be like up to 28 stories.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 02:25 PM   #123
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3887

It's a beautiful project taking up a lot of land in a blighted area. My only wish would be the 5-7 story stuff would look more New York/classic like, but that's big time wishful thinking. BTW this is the kind of project that would go good in place of ConArga.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:05 PM   #124
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

meh... Not all that impressive imo... I would like to see two things, which are dependent upon one another... more hieght and more centralized green space.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:13 PM   #125
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

See several more renders at the bottom of this page...

http://www.tampagold.com/1016/parkG.jpg

As I said, I just don't like the amount of green space, relative to the mass of buildings, nor do I like its location or orientation... The park is shoved off to the side, on the egde of the redevelopment area, serving to basically segregate the Central Park area from the north end of DT (which we know in time will really fill in)... The park should be CENTRAL to the theme of the entire district, not serve as an afterthought, shoved off to the side, where it can languish under the spell of crack dealers and the homeless for years to come (where is the "central" part of this park arrangement?)... Additionally, the long, slender nature of the park is a poor solution when it comes to utilizing the park as a public gathering space, which should always be a primary concern for any DT public space... DT Tampa has no large public space (like St Pete for instance), and this is possibly our LAST chance to create one...

Lastly, with the park located like this, it does NO GOOD to those portions of the development district to the north and east of this parcel... It's almost as if the developers have done this as a calculated means of ensuring that only thier parcels receive much valuation and desireability benefit from proximity to the park... It is a SHIT PLAN, and I pray to God the city comes to its senses before it is too late to do something about it.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 08:29 PM   #126
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 786

I like it looks really nice, only thing i dont like is the park location i think they should move the park to the bottom two center buildings location then it would be truly "central"
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 09:22 PM   #127
FloridaFuture

Is there any news on this project like when construction will begin, any estimates?
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:08 AM   #128
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

IMO, the park portion should be on the NE portion of this phase of redevelopment, so that when additional portions of the district are redeveloped, more land can be added to the park from those phases... That way, the park will remain central to the district, and will thus have the best chance of impacting everyone living in the district, not just the select few who happen to live adjacent to it.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:20 AM   #129
smiley

Likes (Received): 561

I fail to see the point in spoon feeding this stuff. So here are all the renderings

I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:24 AM   #130
smiley

Likes (Received): 561

BY the way, that park appears to be the Perry Harvey Park, which would be fine if there were things on both sides of it, that is what makes a good park
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 04:04 PM   #131
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Things won't be on both sides, because much of the land is along the approach to I-4/I-275... That's why the location sucks so much for a park.

If that's the existing park you mention (duh! sure looks like it now that you mention it), then get rid of that park as part of the project too, and put the park in the right place from the start. It's city land, and this is obstensibly a city project... GET IT RIGHT FROM THE START FOR ONCE!
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:34 PM   #132
tampamobster21

Very True!
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:26 AM   #133
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 935

One thing I must say, I like the urban life it has to it. I hope what I see in the rendering will look like when it is all done. I would mind walking throught the whole thing and just sight-seeing. This project will look great standing in it.

I don't reallt care about the park. Okay, it might fit better with it being somewhere else, but where it stands right now, it doesn't really bother me. And remember, this is only a render. Its not like it has already been built. Things can always change.

I just want to know what the building on the lower left of the seciond to last picture is. Any clue?
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:10 AM   #134
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^That's the problem, this is very near the end of the schematic phase, with future changes being to the details, not to the plan itself...
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:39 AM   #135
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Any chance that other development can come later on the other side of the park? I'm not familiar with the area up there so that is why I am asking? I'm going to research some on how Central Park formed
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #136
tampamobster21

Big plans and reality at housing complex
By SUSAN THURSTON, City Times Editor
Published October 20, 2006

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The plans alone are pretty spectacular. Pedestrian plazas with lots of trees, cafes and tributes to a music legend. Low-rise buildings with rooftop pools and concealed parking. Shining skyscrapers with stunning views of downtown.
Then consider that all this revolves around Central Park Village, a blighted public housing complex on the northeast edge of downtown.

Work on the transformation began a few years ago but hit high gear this summer when the Tampa Housing Authority started relocating residents. Demolition is expected to start late next year.

Key players, including Roxanne Amoroso of Bank of America, which is putting together the project, spoke about the plans Tuesday during a Tampa Downtown Partnership event.

The 28-acre project centers on combining 1,200 for-sale condominiums with about 800 mixed-income rental units. The condos would be in four buildings seven to 28 stories tall. The rentals would be in five buildings seven to nine stories tall.

Retail and office space for the Tampa Housing Authority would round out the project.

The condos would sell for market rate. The rentals would range in price, depending on a tenant's income. Some people on government assistance would live there for free.

The concept is admirable. Create a community that embraces diversity and the area's rich history. The neighborhood historically was a hub for black businesses. Performer Ray Charles supposedly made his first recording there.

Time will tell whether the project comes to fruition as envisioned. I wish developers well. I expect it won't be easy.

Unlike the Channel District or even downtown, Central Park has an awful reputation that will be tough to shake. Sure, you can tear down a bunch of ratty buildings and redo everything from scratch.

But what about the stuff around it? And will young professional couples want to buy next to gussied-up public housing?

Developers say the market-rate condos will be affordable, citing examples such as SkyPoint and other residential projects going up downtown. Expect units possibly in the $200,000s, although no one is committing to prices quite yet and I suspect that's a low estimate.

That might not be enough incentive. For $300,000 people can get a house behind a big gate in the burbs. They also can get a very nice place in more established urban enclaves such as Tampa Heights and Seminole Heights.

And you can get a Domino's pizza delivered to your front door. Not so in Central Park.

A trip through Central Park underscores the enormity of the undertaking. In-your-face trash bins, dirt where grass once grew, junky cars.

Bank of America officials estimate the project will cost $750-million, which will come from a variety of sources, including future gains in property taxes generated on the site.

That's a wild amount of money, even if the investment ends up resurrecting the neighborhood and closing the development gap between downtown and Ybor City. Consider this: Buying a $300,000 home for every family in the nearly 500-unit housing project would cost about $150-million.

Of course, that wouldn't solve the bigger issue of transforming the area. But it certainly would be a lot cheaper.

The Last Drop: Plans for Central Park Village are far from final. Developers welcome public input. The next chance is Thursday, when the City Council is scheduled to vote on whether to zone the site as a planned development. The meeting starts at 5 p.m. at City Hall.

So, if you all want to go to the City Council and then voice your opinions about this project and the lack of actual emphasis on the PARK in the Central Park Village then this would be your opportunity. I did not know that this park would be focusing on Ray Charles. That is kind of cool. Maybe with this park focusing on him it will bring more artists and musicians downtown. I know I would go and play music there just to add some life to the area.
Old October 24th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #137
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Late next year? WYF! Why so long?

So lets see, we have this on Thursday aswell as 3-4 projects going up for approval. Sweet!
Old October 24th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #138
tampamobster21

Thursday is just for zoning for the district as a planned district. What else is going before the council on thursday?
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #139
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamobster21 View Post
Thursday is just for zoning for the district as a planned district. What else is going before the council on thursday?
Look at the Channelside thread. I think it's Navio, Novare, and Finergy.

I was watching one of our news channels last night,(can't remember which) and they had a story on the Central Park Plan. More specifically, though, the proposed tearing up of the historic skating park/bowl. They said it was one of the oldest in the country and one of the last originals. Some skaters, and historians were putting up a fuss about it. I'm no skater, but if it's in Tampa and its historic we should keep it. Plus I could see it as an asset to the entire plan.
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #140
youngkg
Tampa - St Pete

Likes (Received): 12

That skate park is in one of Tony Hawk's video games.
youngkg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
tampa-projects