search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #61
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 88

I was in Channelside and I saw that they are starting to connect the two [email protected] buildings.

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #62
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHawk
Difficult to picture all these buildings from a description I'm sure. If I'm at the corner of Cumberland and 11th, walking North, the first thing on my right (East side of 11th) is the 29 story tower w/ retail. As I continue walking North, next to the tower is the 11 story hotel. Then all the way on the street up to Whiting are the Brownstones, which circle around the corner heading East on Whiting.

If I turn around at Whiting and am heading back South towards Cumberland, immediately to my right are the two 21-story towers. Keep walking South and next is the 12 story residential. Finally, at the NE corner of 11th and Cumberland is the retail / restaurants building.

Hopefully, the papers will publish a layout schematic of this so it will be clearer.
Thanks, that was perfect. Hopefully we get renderings...

I'm fine with the brownstones, actually. 3 stories isn't shabby, and it worked out decently enough on 12th with the cluster known as Tampa City Lofts. This brings just enough density to the area, I think. Hopefully the design improves upon Towers at Channelside, which I think is rather cheap looking (but not shabby).

I realized a few weeks ago that there is going to be a parking lot on the side of [email protected] facing the Channelside complex... anyone else find this a bad move? Some insulating retail and cafe space along with a small garage with an expanded roof garden seems more appropriate. With Tampa Port Authority filling up the garage (and overcharging) more public parking will no doubt take off. Especially valet, as that lot might be at risk for development.
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #63
smiley

Likes (Received): 560

IT is my impression that the ground floor will have retail
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #64
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 252

.... But there is a large parking lot between Channelside and the towers, along with the trolley lines and the street.

I think its wasteful of a prime spot.
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #65
smiley

That lot is actually not too large and is owned by the people who own Channelside (at least it was) with the idea that eventually they could put stores on it too. We shall see.
I contain multitudes.

Old July 21st, 2006, 01:30 AM   #66
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3819

Wow, thanks for the update on Seaboard Square. And yes [email protected] will have ground retail, a rather large amount I believe.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 05:00 AM   #67
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2458

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley
Oh, so Seaboard is going to be completely different. Yea, brownstones, whatever if they can actually get the towers up. I like how the whole area is now going towers. FIne by me.
Agreed... I don't really care about the brownstones either, though one would think that something like some live/work units could be thrown into the mix... Plus, I'm strongly of the opinion that higher densities like this are crucial to the district ever attaining the vibrant street scene everyone is expecting... If the district really did have to be a bunch of squat lowrises, there would have never been enough people living in the nieghborhood to generate enough foot traffic to sustain much retail at all.

Now if the FAA can just keep it's f***ing nose out of everyone's business, things would be just fine.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 05:20 AM   #68
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse
Agreed... I don't really care about the brownstones either, though one would think that something like some live/work units could be thrown into the mix... Plus, I'm strongly of the opinion that higher densities like this are crucial to the district ever attaining the vibrant street scene everyone is expecting... If the district really did have to be a bunch of squat lowrises, there would have never been enough people living in the nieghborhood to generate enough foot traffic to sustain much retail at all.

Now if the FAA can just keep it's f***ing nose out of everyone's business, things would be just fine.
Amen to that Brother!
Old July 21st, 2006, 05:24 AM   #69
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 90

[QUOTE=Jasonhouse]I'm strongly of the opinion that higher densities like this are crucial to the district ever attaining the vibrant street scene everyone is expecting... If the district really did have to be a bunch of squat lowrises, there would have never been enough people living in the nieghborhood to generate enough foot traffic to sustain much retail at all.
QUOTE]

Jason...you are so right about density. Downtown/channelside should be high and dense. FAA go Away.

There are so many small projects going on in Ybor that the whole south side of Ybor will connect with the Channelside district beautifully. I was in Ybor yesterday and you can see all the development in Channelside from Ybor.
You can really see the potential and direction the city headed. It is impressive.

Last edited by cwat212; July 21st, 2006 at 05:03 PM.
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #70
FloridaFuture

The Plaza at Harbor island is up to the 7th floor which is the 3rd floor of the tower portion.
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #71
smiley

Development details dispensed
Seaboard Square developers provide 50 people with a look at the 5.8-acre hotel, condo and retail project.
By RICK GERSHMAN
Published July 28, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There isn't much so far to the Web site for Seaboard Square, one of the largest proposed residential/retail additions to the Channel District.

The site boasts a photo of Tampa's skyline, an e-mail address and the marketing line, "Hip. Square. Now." And that's about it.

Developers provided more details to about 50 people at a Channel District Council meeting July 19 at the Florida Aquarium.

The development is bordered by 12th and Meridian streets, E Whiting Street and E Cumberland Avenue. Sembler Investments bought the original developer, West Bay City Homes, and took over the project earlier this year.

Sembler president Darian Johnson told attendees the 5.8-acre development will include a 10-story, 120-room hotel, condominiums, townhomes, and retail and office space.

Plans also include one 29-story building, two 25-story buildings and one 16-story building, significantly taller structures than originally presented. Most of the 725 residences would sell in the $300,000 to $500,000 range, Johnson said. Penthouse-level homes would sell between $600,000 and $900,000.

The development has contracted with SpringHill Suites by Marriott for the hotel. Sembler, a St. Petersburg company, developed Centro Ybor in Ybor City and BayWalk in St. Petersburg.

The project has its first public hearing before the Tampa City Council on Aug. 17, said Jean DeFries, Sembler's development manager. If built as planned, the project would take about five years to build, Johnson said.

Also at the neighborhood meeting, the city's urban development director, Michael Chen, talked about Channel District's Community Redevelopment Area, which funnels money from increased property values into neighborhood improvement projects.

Chen said the redevelopment area will have a budget of more than $1.4-million in fiscal year 2007. That's compared with $626,000 for this fiscal year and $253,000 for 2005, he said.

"Those are fairly healthy gains, and I assure you, you ain't seen nothing yet," Chen said. "Because that does not include all of this construction we have going on now."

Within a few years, he said, the district's budget should be about $7-million.

Chen proposed that more than two-thirds of the 2007 budget - more than $1-million - be spent on engineering and consultant fees to deal with the district's many upcoming infrastructure needs.

Another $240,000 was budgeted for remedial infrastructure projects, with the remainder going toward such issues as marketing and promotion, the TECO streetcar and a partial-year salary for a Channel District arts administrator.

Chen, who is on HARTline's streetcar board, also said he was hopeful officials will be able to promote more ridership for regular daily commuting, in addition to tourist and occasional specialty use.

Rick Gershman can be reached at [email protected] or 226-3431.

[Last modified July 27, 2006, 09:48:24]
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/07/28/Ci...etails_d.shtml
I contain multitudes.

Old July 28th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #72
FloridaFuture

So to organize it all for Seaboard Square here's the most recent proposal....

29 story condo
25 story condo
25 story condo
16 story condo
10 story hotel
3 story brownstones

Total Units: 725

I can't wait to see a rendering of this one because this is one of the most important projects in the district IMO. It conneccts [email protected] and Channelside to the Place and all of the other condos in the Northern district. and the land area is impressive that it will cover, should be very dense.
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #73
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 61

It IS important, and it IS impressive, and also quite ambitious. I think they are smart in planning to build in phases.

I don't foresee any specific issues that the city might have with this proposal, as it seems we have all moved past the 'height' issue in the Channel District.

They keep talking about the CRT monies, and I can't wait to see some tangible improvements to infrastructure.

I plan take some updated construction photos around Channelside this weekend. Sorry to be dense, but how do you post them?
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #74
robbie

Likes (Received): 7

If you take some of the towers of CS, can you possibly take them from the street that runs in front of the Grandview? The view from there is great and will even be greater when they start putting the windows in. Just a request.
robbie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #75
ChannelsideTitle

Likes (Received): 14

Wow! I can't wait to see the rendering!! Go Cranes!

- Hugh Newell Jacobsen

Josh Cahill
ChannelsideTitle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #76
Dave01walk

Likes (Received): 10

advertising is allowed now?
Dave01walk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #77
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave01walk
advertising is allowed now?
NO!!!!

ChannelsideTitle, I am no mod, but advertising in any way is prohibited on the boards. Can you please remove your website from your sig. Thank You.

Back on topic. Since I don't have a camera, anyone willing to take some new pics?
Old July 30th, 2006, 05:39 AM   #78
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 90

What is allowed? I see many links to blogs and websites in people's sigs, etc. Is it only real estate that is not allowed? Let's follow the rules across the board please.
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #79
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2458

^Basically people making money... Which is why links to some sites are also not allowed.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 01:59 PM   #80
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Developer Aiming To Straighten Street

By JANIS D. FROELICH The Tampa Tribune

CHANNEL DISTRICT - A proposed residential and retail project is so large it involves moving a street.

Sembler Investments of St. Petersburg's plan for the 5.8-acre Seaboard Square complex will take the zigzag out of 11th Street where it meets Whiting Street.

A city council zoning hearing on the 725-residence project is scheduled for Aug. 17.

Seaboard Square would take four to seven years to complete, said Jean DeFries, Sembler's vice president of development.

"We've worked with the city and the neighborhood," DeFries said. "It's such a core area in the Channel District we wanted to do something special to bring people in."

DeFries said Sembler will be open to ideas during the council session.

"A project this size is always a work in progress," said Michael Chen, newly named manager of the district's Community Redevelopment Area.

DeFries said much thought went into traffic flow. In addition to moving 11th Street slightly so it's straight, Sembler has offered to landscape a dirt path behind the Tampa Port Authority parking garage.

The sidewalk would allow access from Channelside Drive to Seaboard Square, which plans 27,000 square feet of retail and office space, and a 110-room Spring Hill Suites, a Marriott brand.

DeFries said the goal is to open the hotel in time for the 2009 Super Bowl in Tampa.

Planned retailers include a dry cleaner, coffee shop, salon and convenience store. If work begins in January, Sembler plans to first build the hotel and retail plaza, plus the first of four residential towers.

"The market is here now for the hotel, with the cruise industry right across the street," DeFries said.

DeFries said the tallest tower, at 29 stories, would be built near the 30-story Towers of Channelside project, under construction. Next to Victory Lofts, Sembler plans 22 three-story town houses.

"It's a very massive thing," said Genie White, president of the Channel District Council. "But Seaboard Square has been well received by the residents. Victory Lofts people are really happy because they won't be next to a tower."

DeFries said planned outdoor space would include dog walks. The retail plaza, with an interactive fountain, may include a movie screen for showing art films, sporting events and community presentations. There could be up to four restaurants to complement the Channelside entertainment complex across the street.

The property, shaped like a thick L and stretching from Meridian to 12th streets and Whiting to Cumberland Avenue, was purchased by Sembler early this year.

The parcel faces Meridian Street, and Sembler hopes to install lighting and artwork to form a wall between Seaboard Square and the street, which links to the elevated Lee Roy Selmon Expressway.

"We know the streets around us will be busy," DeFries said, "but with 11th Street going through our development, we hope to offer some [traffic] calming devices."

DeFries said Sembler isn't deterred by other condominium projects in the area, including The Place Phase II, Cobalt Development, The Martin and Finergy Development, which includes a hotel.

"We don't see Seaboard Square not happening," she said. "This area just has too much appeal."

Reporter Janis D. Froelich can be reached at (813) 835-2104 or [email protected].

http://southtampa.tbo.com/southtampa/MGB57O5F7QE.html

Tags
downtown tampa, tampa-projects