search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2006, 02:56 AM   #121
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

^Won't be this weekend, or probably next... We are upgrading the database server, and the site will be shut down a for a while again this weekend... Plus, it will run like shit for a week or so as the different servers on the network are load balanced.

But feel free to post whatever it is you were going to post, because before I do anything with the list, I still have to see what it is and determine if I'm just going to copy/paste (if it's ok with the contributing forumer) something into the thread, or reassemble it to my preferences...
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2006, 03:44 AM   #122
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse
^Won't be this weekend, or probably next... We are upgrading the database server, and the site will be shut down a for a while again this weekend... Plus, it will run like shit for a week or so as the different servers on the network are load balanced.

But feel free to post whatever it is you were going to post, because before I do anything with the list, I still have to see what it is and determine if I'm just going to copy/paste (if it's ok with the contributing forumer) something into the thread, or reassemble it to my preferences...
Well, as per usual, I will be stretched thin this holiday weekend between working two days, going to Atlanta to do some additional side work, and homework (as if anyone cared about my personal life, but still) so I doubt much updating will be done on my part. Whoever feels compelled to work on it can simply quote it and make the changes. This should be a collective work between all of us, so I don't think that it will be an issue if you decide to paste it into the first post. Actually, I think that is what we are all mostly aiming towards.
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 10:24 PM   #123
tampaguy75

Likes (Received): 92

Grand Central Update

An update was sent out to buyers for the Grand Central project. Not really a whole lot of new information -- they are still saying that the "lower" floors of the east building should be ready for move in starting this December, with the remainder of the east building being available by Spring '07.

The construction of the west building is expected to be "topped out" by October, and move in dates are expected to begin in early, summer '07.

One thing I did not realize, the update commented on the tinting of the glass. Some windows will be tinted green and other windows will be tinted blue (a design aspect of the project). I didn't realize that two tints would be used, and I wonder how they will mix and match the tinting. (Will one building be tinted blue, and the other building be tinted green? Or will each building have a certain pattern of blue and green tints? If so, I'll be curious as to how that turns out.)

With the completion of Grand Central right around the corner, I think this marks the next "major milestone" in the development of the Channelside district. This project will be among the first completed with lots of retail space available on the ground floors -- a grocery store, fitness club open to the public (i.e. lifestyles), coffee shop(s), restaurants (I believe a Panera Bread has already bought space there). Also, with nearly 400 condos in this project, the current population of Channelside (about 200) will suddenly have the potential to increase by 200%.

And by late summer 2007, I assume that this project won't be the only new (large) project completed -- The Place, Ventana, and The Towers should be wrapping up about that time. I think we will suddenly have a clear picture of the 'future' of the condo market in Channelside. I'm wondering how many of these newly-completed condos will be sitting empty. If a lot of them go unoccupied, I think it will affect the future build-out of Channelside (a lot of empty condos means that it will take a lot longer to develop the remainder of the land). We should know all this in about one year as these first, large projects are completed.
tampaguy75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 02:59 AM   #124
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

I think that Channelside will fill in faster than people realize... I think of it as basically the next Harbour Island, which has usually been able to sell itself in any phase of the market's cycle...
Old September 3rd, 2006, 09:22 PM   #125
ChannelsideTitle

Likes (Received): 14

Great News Indeed!

- Hugh Newell Jacobsen

Josh Cahill
ChannelsideTitle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #126
Maxim98

Hey everyone -

I recently met with Stephanie Gaines (I toured The Florida Brewery Renovation with a few classmates) and decided to check her firm's site, only to notice a project I hadn't seen before in Channelside. Anyone seen/heard about this? http://www.cgharchitects.com/projects/ (Then go to Midrise; on the first page, The Channelside Key Lofts). Is this not for Channelside, or perhaps an early design for The Place?
Old September 10th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #127
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 88

I think fro the similar floor count and the color it is quite possible that it could be an early rendering of The Place. Speaking of The Place has there been any news on phase 2 or is it in limbo just like a lot of projects?
Old September 10th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #128
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3890

I remember seeing that rendering here in the past, but I don't remember if it was for the Place or a different project.
Edit- Now that I think about it "Key" the developer of the Place, is also the name of the project. I don't remember who the architects for the Place was.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #129
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 935

Retail Plan Curtailed For Harbour Island
Skip directly to the full story.
By JANIS D. FROELICH The Tampa Tribune

Published: Sep 14, 2006

CHANNEL DISTRICT - Brooks Byrd decided he couldn't fight Harbour Island residents. Not that he wanted to - the upscale neighborhood was good to him when he built the GrandView waterfront condominiums there.

So when Harbour Island residents protested at a city council meeting in February that Byrd's Channel District twin tower project, with a grocery store, would bring too much traffic, the Clearwater developer listened.

"The grocery store went bye-bye," he said.

As a result, Byrd goes into tonight's city council zoning hearing with residents' support. He still proposes 250 residences at Blu Channelside, but has slashed retail space from 88,000 square feet to 25,000 square feet.

"The plan is really spectacular," said Joyce Schauer, president of the South Harbour Island Community Association, which represents 657 residences in the gated portion of the neighborhood.

"We never took issue with the residential portion. But the grocery store would have been a disaster," she said.

Schauer said access is an issue for the island's 4,000 or so residents. There are only two ways on and off: the Franklin Street Bridge next to the Tampa Convention Center and the Beneficial Bridge near the Channelside complex, where Byrd planned the grocery store access.

Schauer said she knew Byrd was disappointed.

"I also see the value of having a grocery store on the east side of downtown," she said. "But we can't compromise on making sure emergency vehicles can get onto the island."

Byrd said retail customers will enter from Garrison Street, which separates the property from Channelside. Visitors and residents would exit on Beneficial Drive.

"There are other opportunities in the Channel District to make a grocery store possible," he said.

The 30-story Blu Channelside will offer two- and three-bedroom condominiums plus penthouses, with two parking spaces for each unit. Residences will be about 1,700 square feet to 2,400 square feet, with prices to be set. Construction would begin in summer 2007 and be completed in 2009.

Also at the 6 p.m. council meeting, the developers of Meridian 101 will seek zoning approval for their 17-story project of 120 to 140 units at Meridian Avenue and East Whiting Street, developer Jason Koshy said.

Koshy, owner of Skye Development, is working with a Massachusetts company, Kurian Limited Partnership. He said the 30,000-square-foot property housed a dance studio.

"We're too small to provide green space to the community," Koshy said. "But we'll offer some public art … somehow."

http://southtampa.tbo.com/southtampa/MGB2E3O42SE.html
Old September 14th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #130
Tampa610

Likes (Received): 2

A BLU day

Too bad the grocery store won't be there. I was looking forward to using it. The residents of Harbor Island (and I'm guessing it's just a couple of them) don't realize what they are going to be missing. Some of them still seem to think they live in the suburbs and can kill commercial development. The cut in commercial sq. footage would have been a great addition.

Despite the loss of the store I really home this project gets built!!!
Tampa610 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #131
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa610
Too bad the grocery store won't be there. I was looking forward to using it. The residents of Harbor Island (and I'm guessing it's just a couple of them) don't realize what they are going to be missing. Some of them still seem to think they live in the suburbs and can kill commercial development. The cut in commercial sq. footage would have been a great addition.

Despite the loss of the store I really home this project gets built!!!
I'll just be happy if this gets off the ground. This project has been delayed too long. There is much more room for a store in Channeliside
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #132
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 24

I'm not sure which project is located at 110 S. 11th St. in Channelside, but it was approved by the city council this morning by a vote of 5 - 1. Linda Saul-Sena was the only councilmember who voted against the project.

I'm hoping that someone knows which project is located there. I'm thinking that it's Seaboard Square...

I caught the last 15 mins. of the hearing on public access -- the project includes 20 townhomes and apparently some towers (775 units in all within this project).

Councilmember Dingfelder asked the petetioner to remove 10 of the townhomes in the project to provide for more greenspace. The petetioner respectfully declined the request.

I missed the "renderings" portion of the hearing and even in the motion offered, the project name was never mentioned.

All in all, the council members praised the visual appeal of the project. However, Saul-Sena objected because the city has agreed to handling the maintenance of the open spaces surrounding the property for a term of 30 years. According to Saul-Sena, this is a precedent setting vote as no other project in the Channelside district has asked the city to handle the maintenance of their open spaces.

I'll keep my eyes open for a replay of the hearing...
Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #133
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 62

The project that you are describing is indeed Seaboard Square, being developed by Sembler. I believe this will be a great addition to the Channel District.

Hopefully, Blu Channelside will get approved at this evening's council meeting. The deletion of the urban grocery store and reduction in retail was Byrd's main concession in order to get the blessing of the Harbour Island residents association, which they did.
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #134
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 128

There will also be a presentation tonight for a project at 12th and Meridian. I believe it will be for a 17 story tower on a site that currently houses a dance studio. Can't recall the name of the developer but someone may want to try to get information on it.
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:31 AM   #135
Maxim98

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAMAN
There will also be a presentation tonight for a project at 12th and Meridian. I believe it will be for a 17 story tower on a site that currently houses a dance studio. Can't recall the name of the developer but someone may want to try to get information on it.
That would be Meridian 101.
Old September 15th, 2006, 02:50 AM   #136
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Now see, I just don't get it... The City Council almost had a shitfit over The Place Phase 2, but they approved Seaboard Square, which features some shitty tower designs imo.
Old September 15th, 2006, 03:03 AM   #137
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse
Now see, I just don't get it... The City Council almost had a shitfit over The Place Phase 2, but they approved Seaboard Square, which features some shitty tower designs imo.
that's the City Council for you.
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #138
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Any news about what happen last night?
Old September 22nd, 2006, 04:11 AM   #139
smiley

Likes (Received): 561

Retail Plan Curtailed For Harbour Island
Skip directly to the full story.
By JANIS D. FROELICH The Tampa Tribune

Published: Sep 14, 2006

ADVERTISEMENT

More from this channel:

Search for more information:

Site Search Archives Keyword

TBO.com Site Search | Tribune archive from 1990

CHANNEL DISTRICT - Brooks Byrd decided he couldn't fight Harbour Island residents. Not that he wanted to - the upscale neighborhood was good to him when he built the GrandView waterfront condominiums there.

So when Harbour Island residents protested at a city council meeting in February that Byrd's Channel District twin tower project, with a grocery store, would bring too much traffic, the Clearwater developer listened.

"The grocery store went bye-bye," he said.

As a result, Byrd goes into tonight's city council zoning hearing with residents' support. He still proposes 250 residences at Blu Channelside, but has slashed retail space from 88,000 square feet to 25,000 square feet.

"The plan is really spectacular," said Joyce Schauer, president of the South Harbour Island Community Association, which represents 657 residences in the gated portion of the neighborhood.

"We never took issue with the residential portion. But the grocery store would have been a disaster," she said.

Schauer said access is an issue for the island's 4,000 or so residents. There are only two ways on and off: the Franklin Street Bridge next to the Tampa Convention Center and the Beneficial Bridge near the Channelside complex, where Byrd planned the grocery store access.

Schauer said she knew Byrd was disappointed.

"I also see the value of having a grocery store on the east side of downtown," she said. "But we can't compromise on making sure emergency vehicles can get onto the island."

Byrd said retail customers will enter from Garrison Street, which separates the property from Channelside. Visitors and residents would exit on Beneficial Drive.

"There are other opportunities in the Channel District to make a grocery store possible," he said.

The 30-story Blu Channelside will offer two- and three-bedroom condominiums plus penthouses, with two parking spaces for each unit. Residences will be about 1,700 square feet to 2,400 square feet, with prices to be set. Construction would begin in summer 2007 and be completed in 2009.

Also at the 6 p.m. council meeting, the developers of Meridian 101 will seek zoning approval for their 17-story project of 120 to 140 units at Meridian Avenue and East Whiting Street, developer Jason Koshy said.

Koshy, owner of Skye Development, is working with a Massachusetts company, Kurian Limited Partnership. He said the 30,000-square-foot property housed a dance studio.

"We're too small to provide green space to the community," Koshy said. "But we'll offer some public art … somehow."

Reporter Janis D. Froelich can be reached at (813) 835-2104 or jfroelich @tampatrib.com.

http://centraltampa.tbo.com/centralt...B2E3O42SE.html
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 03:30 PM   #140
thehappysmith
Two-bit Hack

Likes (Received): 12

IMO that was short sighted. But I didn't spend a million bucks on my downtown condo, either. I can ride my bike to the Platt Publix a while longer. It's the people on Harbour Island who will make extra car trips each week driving to a distant grocery store that will have to deal with matters.
thehappysmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
downtown tampa, tampa-projects