search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #61
randommichael

Likes (Received): 36

I think Wal-Marts have a negative economic impact in 99% of the places they do business.
randommichael no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #62
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3952

Generally, Target is a cleaner store but I think that also has to do with the fact that Target is more selective when it comes to location and tends to go for more Dale Mabry like envioments rather then inner city.

I would prefer a Target in So. Tampa then Wal-Mart, but like I said before I feel demographics won't be as large of a concern for this Wal-Mart in So. Tampa, then say a propsoed Wal-Mart for Ybor.
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #63
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 53

Well there is a Target in S Tampa, on Gandy/Dale Mabry. It's only about half a mile from the proposed Wal-Mart site.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #64
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonknee View Post
Well there is a Target in S Tampa, on Gandy/Dale Mabry. It's only about half a mile from the proposed Wal-Mart site.
Well, I think they should relocate that Target store to the proposed Wal-Mart location. The current store is too small believe it or not. That's why if you go in there, they don't carry some of the things a typical Target store would carry. Besides that, the current store is also aging and is in need of an update anyway. So I would perfer Target either renovate the existing store, or move it down a few blocks.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #65
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by wslupecki View Post
Well, I think they should relocate that Target store to the proposed Wal-Mart location. The current store is too small believe it or not. That's why if you go in there, they don't carry some of the things a typical Target store would carry. Besides that, the current store is also aging and is in need of an update anyway. So I would perfer Target either renovate the existing store, or move it down a few blocks.
Since Walmart is purchasing the land I doubt they would let Target build there!
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #66
jonknee
Downtown resident

Hey how about a multi story urban design, Wal-Mart and Target on top of eachother. ha!
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #67
HARTride 2012

LOL! It's like putting Rosie O'Donnell and Donald Trump on The Apprentice. NOT GONNA HAPPEN! LOL!
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:22 AM   #68
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat212 View Post
Since Walmart is purchasing the land I doubt they would let Target build there!
It's just a vision for me. I know it won't happen though.
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #69
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wslupecki View Post
It's just a vision for me. I know it won't happen though.
I also could think of many things I would rather have than a Walmart.

I was in Orlando and noticed a new Walmart going in right off of I-4 near Universal. Someone from Orlando may chime in but it definitely did NOT look like any Walmart I have ever seen. It actually looked like it had several different store fronts making up the store. I didn't think it was bad looking at all.

Anyone else know more about this project?
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #70
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat212 View Post
I also could think of many things I would rather have than a Walmart.

I was in Orlando and noticed a new Walmart going in right off of I-4 near Universal. Someone from Orlando may chime in but it definitely did NOT look like any Walmart I have ever seen. It actually looked like it had several different store fronts making up the store. I didn't think it was bad looking at all.

Anyone else know more about this project?
I have no clue about the Orlando Wal-Mart. You can try asking the folks @ the Florida Forum.
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #71
cwat212
Palma Ceia

here are the pictures of the new Orlando store. Thanks jzquince69.

Last edited by cwat212; July 19th, 2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #72
jonknee
Downtown resident

Wow, that is absolutely hideous. Even Wal-Marts in Orlando look fake. Disney rules the city.
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #73
cwat212
Palma Ceia

beats this though....

Old July 19th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #74
jonknee
Downtown resident

Eh. You can dress up a prostitute but you still can't introduce her to mom. Wal-Mart is as Wal-Mart does. That ridiculous suburb-couture look is going to be realllly dated in a few years as well. It doesn't make me think of an idealized Main street, it makes me think of how fake the building looks and what saps the owners must be. Unfortunately I have seen more and more of that lately.

I found a rendering online of a proposed urban Wal-Mart in Atlanta, it looks better but not really great.

Compare that to what Target is doing:

Last edited by jonknee; July 19th, 2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #75
HARTride 2012

I like the new-style Target stores (including Walter's Crossing). They are nice, clean, modern, a bit too red yes, but that's what Target's color is...red. I don't like the Wal-Mart generic design. It is absolutely awful. The Orlando Wal-Mart looks even worse, like Mickey's ToonTown.
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #76
HARTride 2012

^

I don't think the S. Tampa Wal-Mart will look anything like the Orlando store. But I still hope they do implement a nice design.
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #77
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Wow...the Target store has NO design value at alll....BIG BOX all the way with a nice front entrance. A Nice entrance doesn't make a nice addition....just 'cause it's Target doesn't mean it's all good.

If you like it or not the style of stores that Walmart's now building is different than the old ugly ASS grey/blue shit holes....

My point was that Walmart is trying..... the pictures posted were in Orlando and that style fits completely.

Hopefully the one off Gandy would have a little Tampa style...Maybe....
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #78
cwat212
Palma Ceia

I always 100% choose Target over Walmart because I cannot stand the customers in Walmart.....

We were talking about design.....in my mind Walmart is better in the new designs.
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #79
jonknee
Downtown resident

And conversely the Wal-Mart design is a BIG BOX with a shitty fake elevation pasted onto the front, complete with fake windows and over the top colors. A big box with an ugly face.

The Target design doesn't try to hide that it's a big store, but uses modern design to make it elegant. It also more efficiently uses its space by being multiple stories. So it's actually help solve urban problems (lack of space) instead of just trying to hide the fact it's one store. Smart and well designed.
Old July 20th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #80
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonknee View Post
And conversely the Wal-Mart design is a BIG BOX with a shitty fake elevation pasted onto the front, complete with fake windows and over the top colors. A big box with an ugly face.

The Target design doesn't try to hide that it's a big store, but uses modern design to make it elegant. It also more efficiently uses its space by being multiple stories. So it's actually help solve urban problems (lack of space) instead of just trying to hide the fact it's one store. Smart and well designed.
That's exactly my point. Wal-Mart's generic design is awful. I don't like the colors or even the overall design. For example, the Wal-Mart on Dale Mabry (across from Walter's Crossing) was really drabby six years ago. Not just the outside, but also the inside. The walls and celing looked dirty and aged, the customer service desk area was outdated, interior lighting sucked, and even some of the fixtures (shelves, etc) were not looking good at at all. Fast forward to the present, and the store doesn't look all that bad now. I still hate the exterior design and color (that hasn't changed too much). But at least the interior of the store is much better. A lot of things have been renovated, which makes the store look better. I'm also glad they replaced that yucky Radio Grill with a Subway. Subway always has better food options then some of these self-serve eateries that you see in some older Wal-Marts and Targets.

Tags
florida, retail, tampa, tampa-projects