search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #81
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1968

^
Target stores on the other hand, are actually pretty nice in my opinion. At least the newer ones. Yes they are a bit too red. But again, they're clean, modern, neat, very appealing stores. Such things make me want to shop at Target a lot. I've been to the Walter's Crossing Target several times and I like shopping there because of the clean, appealing enviornment. Unfortunately, because of the store's location and 2nd floor placement in the plaza, people have to flock to either the Wal-Mart across the street or the Target on Gandy or N. Dale Mabry/Erlich to have access to a garden center. Furthermore, the Gandy Target store is gradually becoming a less appealing place to shop for me because it is in desperate need of a renovation. There are a lot of things in the store that need to be upgraded.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #82
HARTride 2012

Going back to the proposed S. Tampa Wal-Mart. Again, I hope that Wal-Mart will be able to come up with a suitable design that will not ruin the charm of S. Tampa. At the same time, I don't want to see a design like Orlando's supercenter that looks like Mickey's Toontown.
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #83
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 53

^ the lack of a garden center may be because of the Home Depot right next door.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #84
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonknee View Post
Well of course, there's that too. But I'm talking about if someone wanted to do one-stop shopping at a Target store, one could not do it at the Walter's Crossing location. In some cases, one could not do it at the Gandy Target either because again, it is smaller than a typical Target store.
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #85
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2458

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonknee View Post
I suspect it's to keep the site plan within the zoning codes (especially parking I suspect), because the last thing WM can afford to do with this project is do even a single thing which requires TCC approval for a variance. IMO, the only way this project gets built is if it stays off of the TCC's schedule.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #86
Chum

Likes (Received): 5

hmm...I actually have less of a problem with wallmart building their big ugly box all the way down on gandy, which is by no means urban. Now when it comes to the mother of big ugly boxes (ikea) coming straight into Ybor City, which is/will soon be urban, I do have a problem... but thats just me
Chum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #87
HARTride 2012

Yes, Ikea is another big box structure. Blue and Yellow. But it is just furniture (and good furniture at that). The only drawback to Ikea's furniture is that you have to assemble everything yourself. And sometimes the instructions are rather confusing.
Old July 21st, 2007, 01:04 AM   #88
jvance75

Likes (Received): 13

IKEA totally fits into Downtown/Channelside/Ybor/South Tampa Area...it caters to middle/upscale shoppers...NIMBYS, YUPPIES, and everyone. It is a rare site in the United States and even more rare with its on par size to be one of the largest Atlanta size like stores. This will make it the largest IKEA in the state. This is one of those "status as a city" stores, look it up or shop before deciding how its not urban. Trust me, it will fill many of the urban dwellings in the tampa bay area.

Wal-Mart on the other hand sucks the life out of every single sector that could come to the city instead, but with the income of South Tampa, I am not sure if Wal-Mart will even have a huge impact to local businesses unless there is some sort of rag/toilet paper/paper towel boutique store I know of...thats about what the average middle class person buys at *mart. Sure they are going to start selling name brand TVs and Dell Computers, but they are systems built just for the walmart price and I am sure this will show.
jvance75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 03:38 AM   #89
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvance75 View Post
Wal-Mart on the other hand sucks the life out of every single sector that could come to the city instead, but with the income of South Tampa, I am not sure if Wal-Mart will even have a huge impact to local businesses unless there is some sort of rag/toilet paper/paper towel boutique store I know of...thats about what the average middle class person buys at *mart. Sure they are going to start selling name brand TVs and Dell Computers, but they are systems built just for the walmart price and I am sure this will show.
Yeah, but the proposed Wal-Mart in S. Tampa might just shutter up the Sweetbay across the street (LOL, JK!)
Old July 21st, 2007, 03:42 AM   #90
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^I expect that is exactly what will happen, because of increased competition. I could be wrong, but I actually think a grocery store might be part of the retail we'll see at Newport in a few years.
Old July 21st, 2007, 04:34 AM   #91
tamparican

Likes (Received): 38

i am not even surprised about this walmart in the area, as walmart is becoming pretty much like MC'ds theres just about one every few blocks...howver it will fill the needs for the majority of the population when it does start booming towards that area, as well as bring customer into the area even moreso, every walmart pretty much does IMO..now for IKEA i used to live in New Haven, CT last year and before I moved down here they had just built the IKEA over there on the Main HWY Junction I95/I91, which is right by the new haven harbor, and this "BIG BOX" structure acutally looked good there and believe it or not you go there and you easily spend hours looking around and the stuff is decently cheap and with sleek EURO designs not bulky like the typical american furniture. BUT this store was NEVER EMPTY, if was jam-packed every single time I went. so i think that will be good for the DT Area like mentioned above.
tamparican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM   #92
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
^I expect that is exactly what will happen, because of increased competition. I could be wrong, but I actually think a grocery store might be part of the retail we'll see at Newport in a few years.
Speaking of NewPort, I don't see too much activity around there these days. I'm suppose they are still building out there. Maybe its because I don't pay too much attention to it.
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #93
HARTride 2012

I went by New Port today and it seems like they're going at it slowly. The cranss don't seem to move all that much and not much else is happening. The recent weather could be a factor as always but I just don't see all that much happening down there at the moment.
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #94
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Stay away from that "Fresh Market" on Henderson, I hear the prices are outrageous. As for the Gandy Sweetbay, I'm still getting inklings of a empty store...It's a wait and see game I guess.
Old July 26th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #95
randommichael

Likes (Received): 36

Fresh Market isn't bad. Its a store I grew up with in North Carolina. Its very similar to Whole Foods or Wild Oats.
randommichael no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #96
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^That's what I heard...
Old July 26th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #97
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by wslupecki View Post
Stay away from that "Fresh Market" on Henderson, I hear the prices are outrageous. As for the Gandy Sweetbay, I'm still getting inklings of a empty store...It's a wait and see game I guess.

You've never been to the Fresh Market and you are telling people to stay away?

It is not intended to compete with the true grocery stores. It is more of a deli,prepared foods and butcher shop than a grocery - purchase and eat the same night kind of store. No cheerios or kraft mac and cheese on the shelves.
It is actually a very nice store and the eye candy is a plus. Definitely more expensive.
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #98
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 53

Yea Fresh Market is a high end store, it could have a Wal-Mar Supercenter right next door and wouldn't take a hit. They have really good meats and produce.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #99
HARTride 2012

Okay...

So Fresh Market is not what I thought it is. I haven't really been there before, but heard about their prices being steep and all.
Old July 29th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #100
JGJ2010

Likes (Received): 0

Wal-mart has a lot of support of city council on this project. I think it'll get approved.

I personally think they need new development in this area. I like the idea.
JGJ2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, retail, tampa, tampa-projects