search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #101
JGJ2010

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wslupecki View Post
Just remember that Wal-Mart failed miserably to get a supercenter built on the PINELLAS side of Gandy, near Derby Lane cause of traffic and environmental issues...mainly traffic problems though.

Unless Wal-Mart is able to sort out some traffic troubles on Gandy, I don't see any kind of Wal-Mart store going up in S. Tampa.

Actually, the reason it was rejected was because of wetland and environmental concerns. The city really was itching to approve the project but had too many citizens opposed. They almost had to approve it but found "loophole" to reject it due to wetlands. It was already zoned correctly.
I think Wal-mart is still trying to liquidate the land after acquiring it from derby lane.

Last edited by JGJ2010; July 29th, 2007 at 10:39 AM.
JGJ2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #102
JGJ2010

double post, deleted

Last edited by JGJ2010; July 29th, 2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old July 29th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #103
JGJ2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
^Are you scummy? If not, then I'm pretty certain his remark doesn't apply to you.

He didn't say all WM shoppers are scum, he said that they typically are, which when it comes to some stores, I suppose that could be one way of describing the impoverished (and smelly) people who shop there, though it's certainly not one that I would use.
Actually a survey showed something like 84% of recent poll have shop in a wal-mart and most of their shoppers are middle-class or upper middle class.

http://people-press.org/reports/disp...3?ReportID=265
Old July 29th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #104
JGJ2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat212 View Post
here are the pictures of the new Orlando store. Thanks jzquince69.

LOL, have you ever been to orlando area near disney? everything in Disney's kingdom looks like that.

MORE DESIGN HERE:
http://www.walmartstores.com/GlobalW...te.do?catg=448

Last edited by JGJ2010; July 29th, 2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old July 29th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #105
JGJ2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wslupecki View Post
That's exactly my point. Wal-Mart's generic design is awful. I don't like the colors or even the overall design. For example, the Wal-Mart on Dale Mabry (across from Walter's Crossing) was really drabby six years ago. Not just the outside, but also the inside. The walls and celing looked dirty and aged, the customer service desk area was outdated, interior lighting sucked, and even some of the fixtures (shelves, etc) were not looking good at at all. Fast forward to the present, and the store doesn't look all that bad now. I still hate the exterior design and color (that hasn't changed too much). But at least the interior of the store is much better. A lot of things have been renovated, which makes the store look better. I'm also glad they replaced that yucky Radio Grill with a Subway. Subway always has better food options then some of these self-serve eateries that you see in some older Wal-Marts and Targets.

But you are forgetting the designs of Wal-mart is still to move people in & out quickly to generate high sales per square foot. Like it or not, Wal-mart will open lots of stores here. They have the highest grossing store (at least a few years back) in the USA located at Pinellas Park.
On another note, if you ever want to see mass shoppers in Wal-marts, check out one in China. You will never believe the foot traffic. They make the Pinellas Park store look like it's about to close down.
Old July 29th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #106
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

btw.... The Wal-Mart in Orlando depicted in this thread... I was personally at it yesterday...

The people pushing that as being some sort of acceptable solution for urban stores either work for Wal-Mart or simply don't know what they are talking about... Aside from the colors on the front facade, there was NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever in how the store was laid out, sited or interacted with the surrounding neighborhood. (for ex... traffic was BAD near the store and there was lots of it. Had to wait multiple cycles for the lights back to I-4)
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #107
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1968

I assumed the overall layout with the Orlando store was no different than the US 19 (Pinellas Park) store. Or any supercenter for that matter. I wreckon many Wal-Marts use the same (or very similar) layouts on most of their stores. Same thing goes for Target.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #108
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^Actually, Target is not at all like Wal-Mart when it comes to adapting to urban environments... Target is generally flexible and responsive to community concerns. Wal-Mart builds no such stores, other than a small handful of "pilot" stores scattered about.
Old July 29th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #109
HARTride 2012

Quote:
^Actually, Target is not at all like Wal-Mart when it comes to adapting to urban environments... Target is generally flexible and responsive to community concerns. Wal-Mart builds no such stores, other than a small handful of "pilot" stores scattered about.
I meant, Target's general interior layout...sorry. The exterior varies from area to area, store to store.
Old July 29th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #110
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 53

I think Jason's point was just that it's your average Super Center (inside and outside with giant parking lot, etc) with a questionably tasteful exterior. Target utilizes parking garages, multiple stories, etc.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #111
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonknee View Post
I think Jason's point was just that it's your average Super Center (inside and outside with giant parking lot, etc) with a questionably tasteful exterior. Target utilizes parking garages, multiple stories, etc.
Well at least Target is way more creative than Wal-Mart. Yes, I agree that the one in ORL is just a typical supercenter with a Mickey's ToonTown style facade. The parking lot of that store I hate.
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:22 AM   #112
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^I also hate it after suffering in it saturday.
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #113
HARTride 2012

Quote:
^I also hate it after suffering in it saturday.
I don't blame you Jase. It gets boring shopping in a supercenter after a while. That's why I like Target, Publix, and Sweetbay.
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:13 PM   #114
HARTride 2012

I wonder how many people bother to go shopping in the wee hours of the morning at a Wal-Mart Supercenter? It is convenient that they're open 24-hours when just about everyone else is closed.
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:41 PM   #115
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 24

I'm guilty! I shop at the supercenter in Brandon after a visit to the parental unit's house.

I like it because it's not crowded after midnight, and I'll say this, the prices can't be beat! Just last week I purchased 2lbs of thick sirloin steaks (3) for $10.00 and a 1/2 gallon of Bryer's french vanilla ice cream for $2.75. Try that at Publix or Sweetbay -- I have -- no such luck...

I'm not cheap, just budget conscious.

A head buried in the sand cannot see the light of truth. g. lilly
Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #116
HARTride 2012

Yeh, Wal-Mart always has good deals!
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #117
flembss2

Quote:
I suspect it's to keep the site plan within the zoning codes (especially parking I suspect), because the last thing WM can afford to do with this project is do even a single thing which requires TCC approval for a variance. IMO, the only way this project gets built is if it stays off of the TCC's schedule.
I agree.
All of Tampa is in a traffic concurrency exception area - which means that the traffic impacts on Gandy aren't really going to factor into getting a variance either.
flembss2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #118
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by flembss2 View Post
I agree.
All of Tampa is in a traffic concurrency exception area - which means that the traffic impacts on Gandy aren't really going to factor into getting a variance either.
And what does this mean in the end? That Wal-Mart can build without a lot of public input about traffic issues?
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #119
flembss2

More or less. According to Tampa Code, if a development puts 20% more traffic on a road that is failing concurrency, then the city can impose traffic mitigation fees or just not approve it, as it would be deemed a "large scale development."
For the Wal-Mart, the city is not really holding them to the qualification in good faith. They are only calculating the section of Gandy between Manhattan and the Crosstown, and using 2005 traffic counts. So, while Gandy (in 2005) is failing miserably from Westshore to Manhattan, that stretch won't be applicable to WM, even though it will be highly impacted. All WM will likely have to worry about for traffic is access to their parking lot. If they can work out access between the City and FDOT, then public input will be really limited, unless the site plans show something.
flembss2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 04:19 AM   #120
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Yeah... If I'm not mistaken, basically the extent of public input at a council meeting would be during open mic, because a vote won't be required, so it won't even be on the agenda.

It's a shame, because I really don't think it is an appropriate use of that parcel at all. At least not with the current transportation situation on the peninsula.

Tags
florida, retail, tampa, tampa-projects