search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #1
dudeintampa

Likes (Received): 0

Harbor Island Development News

Does anyone know what happened yesterday at The Plaza Harbour Island? I was driving out of the HIAC parking lot and saw a bunch of very large propane-fueled air blowers/dehumidifiers along Knights Run and some very large Disaster Restoration/Water Damage trucks (forget the company name).

Whatever it was, I figure it must have been some major pool leak or massive pipe burst for all that equipment to be onsite. Hope everything is alright and no workers were involved...

Anyhow, was wondering if anyone knew what happened?
dudeintampa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #2
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3890

A problem involving dehumidfiers happened at Skypoint when it was almost done. I think it was a disgruntled employee had let water run on purpose and it wet a floor.

Combined with fires we had downtown, I wonder if we have an urban terrorist down there!
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #3
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

^if we do, it's surely one of the clueless villagers we have running around doing their best to kill this city's viability.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 12:25 AM   #4
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3890

There was an article in the Home Seeker section in the Trib on the Plaza. It mentioned the project would have guest suites for visitors in the tower. It also said that there was kick-off party/open house was on the 26th and that 80% of units have been sold and the majority of the remaining 20% percent were kept by the developer on purpose to sell them furnished.
Old October 1st, 2007, 07:21 AM   #5
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 261

Any word on the lighting? Will it be permanent?

I'd guess not... that'd be too much color for Harbour Island residents, I'm sure...
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #6
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 128

Was not sure where to put this. Could something be developing there?

Feb 25, 2013, 12:09pm EST
Two Harbour Place, adjoining land trade for $32 million

Mark Holan
Staff Writer-
Tampa Bay Business Journal

Email | LinkedIn | Twitter Urdang, the real estate manager for BNY Mellon, and its joint venture partner Crocker Partners have acquired the Two Harbour Place office building and an adjacent 1.27-acre site on Tampa’s Harbour Island.

The land is zoned for residential multifamily development.

Urdang’s portion of the investment was made through a separate account for institutional investors managed by Urdang Capital Management Inc. The office building was purchased from Amstar/CNL Two Harbour LLC, and the adjacent site was acquired from Lindell-Harbour LLC, according to a statement.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed in the statement. A Feb. 12 deed for the transaction shows $32 million. Calls to confirm the amount were not immediately returned.

The 180,000 square-foot Two Harbour Place is 90 percent leased, according to the statement.

Mark Holan's beats include commercial real estate and residential real estate.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #7
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Kinda makes me wonder if they might try to develop office space there instead? As best I can tell from skimming their portfolio, Crocker doesn't do residential or hotel.

Old February 26th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #8
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 128

Good to see some kind of development there instead of an empty lot. I just hope it's something close to what's already there and not some short building.

TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #9
Casey

Likes (Received): 211

Apartment developers target Harbour Island
By Michael Sasso | Tribune Staff
Published: November 12, 2013

TAMPA — Harbour Island is the latest target of apartment developers’ voracious appetites, with developers eyeing land on both sides of The Plaza Harbour Island condominium.

If built, the two towers could bring another few hundred apartments to the downtown area, which already has more than 6,000 apartments and condos either built or under development.

However, some in local real estate say investors are looking more skeptically at Tampa’s apartment boom, because of the number of high-end units planned. Money for new apartment towers probably will be harder to get next year, said Sean Lance, a multifamily broker with NAI Tampa Bay.

An unnamed apartment developer has a contract to purchase a small vacant lot just east of The Plaza condo, said Ryan Sampson, a broker-associate with Eshenbaugh Land Co. who’s handling the deal. He couldn’t reveal who the potential buyer is, but it’s an apartment developer with plans for a 22-story building with about 230 units. At that height, it would be a bit taller than the 20-story Plaza tower next door.

The deal hasn’t closed yet, Sampson said.

On the west side of The Plaza, a Boca Raton-based firm called Crocker Partners is marketing a little more than an acre as an apartment or condo site. The company put the property up for sale lately, and while it’s not under contract yet, Crocker Partners has fielded multiple offers, partner Angelo Bianco said.

Lately, residents of Harbour Island have been abuzz with gossip that two of the last chunks of undeveloped land on the island would make way for apartments or condos. Gail Bernucca, president of The Plaza’s condo association board, is a little worried about traffic one or two new apartment towers would bring.

“I would hope the city would consider that before deciding what to grant them,” she said.

Developers haven’t yet turned in site plans for either parcel of land.

If the projects are built, they almost certainly will begin their lives as apartments and eventually switch to condos some years down the road, multifamily brokers say. Almost no banks or investors are providing money for condos at the moment, so developers have to plan for apartments, said John Stone, managing director of multifamily investments for Colliers International Tampa Bay.

With the high cost of building high-rise towers, developers can only hope to get a small financial return while they rent out their apartment buildings — even at high rents of $2,000 a unit. The real money will come later, if and when the condo market heats up again and they can convert the buildings to condos, Stone said.

“Maybe they hope to get 3 or 4 percent now, but they hope to (eventually) get what will make it a 12 or 15 percent return,” he said.

Until now, there have been few signs the apartment market would slow from its blistering pace. New apartment projects in or around downtown include the 24-story tower The Martin and the 23-story SkyHouse, both in the Channel District, the 36-story Residences at the Riverwalk near the Straz Center and the eight-story Crescent Bayshore on Bayshore Boulevard.

http://tbo.com/news/business/apartme...land-20131112/

Casey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #10
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 556

Not in my ******* back yard! It's too tall, blocks my view, more people, more traffic. The typical nimby bullshit has already started. And to the lady in the Plaza, the nimbys were bitching about traffic before her building was built.

Looked at Crocker portfolio. They've done a lot of office buildings. Didn't see anything residential.
Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #11
StPeteNative

Likes (Received): 80

I never question the power or illogical of the NIMBY, but you live in the Urban Core for goodness sake, of course there is going to be development and highrises. If you want less traffic and no density move to the country.

With that being said, I have always thought Harbour and Davis Island were perfect locations for dense, urban neighborhoods where people could walk to work and play. I would love to see something substantial built to add more people living around the downtown area.
StPeteNative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #12
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

The entire island is entitled for significantly more density and intensity than presently exists.

Use: Existing / Entitled (%)

Residential (units): 2,503 / 4,650 (54%)
Commercial (sq. ft.): 60,175 / 240,000 (25%)
Hotel (rooms): 299 / 550 (54%)
Office (sq. ft.): 484,044 / 1,000,000 (48%)

Also, per the annual report:

Quote:
In accordance with Condition 3.A. (of Ordinance No. 9464-A), the developer has provided the results of the traffic monitoring conducted on January 30, 2013. The results indicated that the project is currently generating 1,667 of the approved 4,324 p.m. peak hour trips (i.e. 38.6%) and 17,772 of the approved 34,670 daily trips (i.e. 51.3%). Results of the annual traffic monitoring shall continue to be provided within all future Annual Reports.
Thanks for playing, NIMBYs.

densitymatters liked this post
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #13
Del Mayberry

Nice official document but I hope the nimby's can't change it to their favor. Honestly think the people in the Plaza don't want to be sandwiched. That's their real fear.

Besides my rant and mock, I'm trying to envision what two new towers will look like. What type of architecture? What will the entire HI skyline look like in the future. I could really be nice.

Another thing to consider here is there are currently four high rise apts in the works and is this developer just jumping in and throwing shit? I guess we will have to wait to see where this goes.
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #14
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

I would rather see a hotel or office tower on the eastern lot. I would build to the corner too.
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Brian72

Likes (Received): 948

It is always interesting to me how personal opinions get involved in projects like these. Anyone not living so close would be looking forward to this type of proposed development. The same comments came about from the Straz center tower about the proposed highrise there, some talking about it being out of place and blocking views?, as if they were not in downtown with plenty of taller buildings a block or two away. Harbor Island at this location is part of downtown, anyone who does not want to see tall buildings, should consider this when deciding were to live. If your not on the waters edge, you are not guaranteed views....

We are busting with hotels already in downtown and need to keep them filled as the new ones come online in the next year.

I hope both buildings go up as high as possible, we need the density in downtown. If any smaller buildings are built there, they will hold the area hostage for decades to come.

The Water's Edge in downtown Clearwater took the oldest building in Clearwater sitting on the Harbor ( Calvary Baptist built around 1915 ) to build a 24 story condo that sat vacant for many years. Now those owners are the first to complain about every other project proposed near them filing legal action. Seriously if you do not want to be in crowded area with lots of people, cars and congestion you should consider living in the suburbs.
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #16
Del Mayberry

Didn't the original plan for the Plaza consist of three identical or similar buildings? And remember the boutique hotel idea that never happened. I can't recall any article of a developer interested in building office in that spot but it could work since the other office building was 90% leased (see article above from Feb.)
Old November 16th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #17
USF802

Likes (Received): 662

What is the height restriction for this area?
USF802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #18
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Something around 230ft.
Old November 16th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #19
Del Mayberry

So if they go forward with this 22 story tower it should clear or maybe they would have to take off a couple floors. I was digging around through old threads looking for the POK chart but can't find it yet.
Old November 16th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #20
USF802

Likes (Received): 662

I have been searching high and low for a FAA chart, but can't seem to find one. In any case, I know developers can ask the FAA for like an exception, but not sure how exactly that process works. Plaza Harbour Island is 20 stories at 233ft, so at 22 stories it would be around 255ish feet give or take. Certainly a height they could petition the FAA to allow.

I was reading the old Tampa Tower I+II thread on here which had a rather significant height issue. Pretty interesting to go back and read.
USF802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote