search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2008, 01:31 AM   #1
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 3818

BAYSHORE | Aquatica | 15 stories | 31 units | 155 feet | topped out

Aquatica
15 stories
155 feet
31 units
U/C

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Council OKs High-Rise On Bayshore

By KATHY STEELE

[email protected]

Published: December 4, 2008

BAYSHORE - The city council gave its final approval to a high-rise condominium on Patriots Corner at Bayshore and Bay to Bay boulevards today.

The high-rise proposed by Citivest Construction will be 155 feet at its tallest point with 31 two- and three- bedroom condominium units and a parking garage. The council in 2007 denied a 190-foot, 31-unit tower proposed for the site, which is less than 1 acre. A compromise to knock off 20 feet also failed.

Citivest owner Bill Robinson said the taller tower would use less land and allow a deeper setback to preserve Bayshore's scenic corridor.

The corner has been used mostly for public parking and on Fridays as a gathering spot where the Bayshore Patriots wave flags at 5 p.m.

Councilwoman Linda Saul-Sena asked for and got verbal assurances that today's approved site plan would lock in the building's design.

"My main reason for supporting this is the exterior design is very beautiful," she said.

Council gave initial approval to the project at a November hearing.

Residents reluctantly supported the project but said they worry about increased traffic at Bayshore and Bay to Bay as well as on side streets such as Ysabella Avenue.

Another Citivest condo tower in Hyde Park is headed for a Jan. 7 public hearing before the city's Architectural Review Commission for a final certificate of appropriateness. A December hearing was postponed.

The tower would be built at Bayshore and DeSoto Avenue, just inside the Hyde Park Historic District. The zoning allows for high-rise development.

More than four years ago, the commission refused to issue a certificate, saying the 346-foot tower would be inconsistent with historic district guidelines.

The council agreed, but Citivest won court appeals. After the state Supreme Court declined to review the case, the council reluctantly approved a preliminary certificate last year.

http://southtampa2.tbo.com/content/2...bayshore/news/

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by FloridaFuture; January 23rd, 2016 at 02:23 AM.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #2
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

Likes (Received): 40

Pretty cool, eventually Bayshore will probably resemble something close to the Gold Coast in Australia.

Council should really be more concerned with appearance, rather than height in most of these cases, as I would personally rather have a taller more elegant structure, than a shorter squatty looking thing.

DShenise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #3
Casey

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShenise View Post
Pretty cool, eventually Bayshore will probably resemble something close to the Gold Coast in Australia.

Council should really be more concerned with appearance, rather than height in most of these cases, as I would personally rather have a taller more elegant structure, than a shorter squatty looking thing.
Agreed. I don't really get the distaste for tall buildings on Bayshore that some on the City Council have.

Casey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #4
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Agreed. I don't really get the distaste for tall buildings on Bayshore that some on the City Council have.
I don't think its the City Council as a whole, but the NIMBYS that live in the area. They would rather be pleased with an empty dirt lot that I'm guessing "preserves" the area's historic nature rather than something useful.

It's cool that this got through, espicially with it being a condo tower. By the time this is done, hopefully things will be back to normal.

TampaMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #5
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

They just got their approvals, I wouldn't be surprised if they sat on it as long as they could. Its not like the economy is going to seriously pick up for at least 12 months. I expect consumers to start spending next summer, but overall, I think it'll be 12-18 months before even the most adventerous developer breaks ground on anything.

Old December 7th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #6
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 24

I'm with ya there, D! though 12-18 months seems a bit optimistic to me...

A head buried in the sand cannot see the light of truth. g. lilly

Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #7
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 1338

That would be nice but the Gold Coast has a supertall that Bayshore will never see!!!

FLAWDA-FELLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #8
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

Its all a matter of perspective regarding height. Standing infront of the Alagon, it seems pretty tall. I was thinking of the Gold Coast too, but you have to remember that the development doesn't go much further inland than a couple miles. There are lots of beach towns in Brazil that look similar.

Old December 9th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #9
randommichael

Likes (Received): 36

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing towers built up and down Bayshore where there are empty lots.

randommichael no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #10
smiley

Likes (Received): 560

doubt that will happen. I would like to see something off the water - but I am sure the homeowners associations will never allow that, even if it is in a business area. Need to get Kennedy near DT going someday (train anyone)
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.

smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #11
randommichael

Likes (Received): 36

We need all the NIMBY's to move out to Pasco or something. Hopefully the younger generations are more willing to let urbanization happen.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, ajaksalad liked this post
randommichael no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #12
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 128

I think it would be cool if Kennedy were developed in the same manner Biscayne Blvd is in Miami. It is an "extension" of the downtown area and acts as a connector between the DT and the more upscale Grove area. I can see the same thing happening sometime in the future.

TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #13
smiley

I would rather Kennedy be dense than Bayshore. It will contribute more and it has two sides
I contain multitudes.

Old December 10th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #14
FloridaFuture

^The two should develop with two different kinds of development anyway. Bayshore will continue to be luxury, residential highrises (which it should be) and Kennedy will get more mid-income residential and commercial midrisies and hopefully eventually highrises. (which it should)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
Another Citivest condo tower in Hyde Park is headed for a Jan. 7 public hearing before the city's Architectural Review Commission for a final certificate of appropriateness. A December hearing was postponed.

The tower would be built at Bayshore and DeSoto Avenue, just inside the Hyde Park Historic District. The zoning allows for high-rise development.

More than four years ago, the commission refused to issue a certificate, saying the 346-foot tower would be inconsistent with historic district guidelines.

The council agreed, but Citivest won court appeals. After the state Supreme Court declined to review the case, the council reluctantly approved a preliminary certificate last year.

http://southtampa2.tbo.com/content/2...bayshore/news/
This project that is really interesting. If you think the resdients went nuts over a 31 unit tower, just wait until the meeting for this 346 footer. Not that they really have anything to stand on anymore...

But hey, if they want their Hyde Park Village along with the rest of their district to survive economically, they need some higher density development.

Old December 10th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #15
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2455

^The meeting will be moot. The City Council hamstrung themselves by refusing to deal with reality in the first place. At this point, the developer can basically build whatever the hell they want, so long as it's within the zoning guidelines... If anything, the residents should be thanking their lucky stars that it's actually a decent developer they're dealing with, who has chosen to develop something reasonable. Otherwise they would have probably wound up with a massive 450ft slab, ala Sunny Isles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randommichael View Post
We need all the NIMBY's to move out to Pasco or something.
I suggest the Dakotas.

Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #16
dpw1983

Likes (Received): 79

I like to imagine Kennedy resembling Wilshire Blvd in Los Angeles 20 years from now. Wilshire heads west out of downtown toward the coast (Kennedy does too!) and is dense with mid-rise commercial and residential.

Kennedy doesn't have a subway line beneath it, though, and a portion of Wilshire does.

Wilshire Street-View

dpw1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #17
smiley

well you could run a monorail down it . . . why don't you email TBARTA about it. They have not finished their alignments. http://www.tbarta.com/
I contain multitudes.

Old February 8th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #18
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1967

Controversial Bayshore Condo Project Clears Another Hurdle

By KATHY STEELE | The Tampa Tribune

Published: February 5, 2009

TAMPA - The latest, and maybe final, round went to the developer of a 346-foot Bayshore Boulevard condominium tower after nearly six years of legal wrangling.

The city's Architectural Review Commission on Wednesday gave final approval, with four conditions, to The DeSoto project. Commission staff will work with the developer, Citivest Construction, to resolve issues related to the type of windows, placement of air conditioners and generators, grilles on the tower's facade and buffering to block views of the three-story garage.

Citivest owner Bill Robinson said construction can't begin before 2010. Even then, the economy will be a controlling factor on building the 60-unit tower.

About 20 residents opposed to the tower attended the commission's hearing. Attorney James De Furio, representing residents of the adjacent Bayshore Royal condominium, said his clients will weigh legal options.

Commissioners said court and Tampa City Council decisions limited their review of the project to architectural guidelines, not issues of height or mass.

"It's destined to be a big building there," David Ferrill said. "I think this commission tonight is responding only to what it feels it can respond to."

The building is slated to rise on a vacant 1.5-acre lot at Bayshore and Desoto Avenue, on the southern end of the Hyde Park Historic District. The lot is zoned to allow high-rise development.

In 2003, the commission refused to approve the tower because it did not meet historic district guidelines. The city council agreed and also turned down a compromise 230-foot tower.

In nearly three years of litigation, courts upheld Citivest's right to build, and the council reluctantly gave its approval in 2007.

The project is subject to review by several city departments, including transportation, before construction permits can be issued. So, the four conditions imposed by the commission might not be the last hurdles for Citivest.

"My concern is we're going to be back reviewing this building," commission Chairman Craig Ross said.

Reporter Kathy Steele can be reached at (813) 259-7652 or [email protected].

http://southtampa2.tbo.com/content/2...s-anothe/news/

HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #19
FloridaFuture

^Now of course this isn't for Patriots Corner Tower but the other tower mentioned in the first article. Until we get more information on the project put stuff for it here.

Old February 9th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #20
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1967

Sounds good.

HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote