search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #81
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

I'm starting to think they're trying to build at least one tower of this project sooner rather than later. Found out some things that I can't really publish.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #82
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
I'm starting to think they're trying to build at least one tower of this project sooner rather than later. Found out some things that I can't really publish.
hint?
Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #83
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Land surveying and design is a heck of a profession.
Old February 27th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #84
USF802

Likes (Received): 680

About time, I have been patiently waiting for this project.

Quote:
TAMPA --
Residential construction is taking off again in the downtown Channel District, with yet another tower planned to go up as soon as this year.

Developers involved with the Grand Central at Kennedy plan to build a 24-story, 316-unit tower with an adjacent retail space large enough for an urban grocery store.

The property would take up a city half-block on the east side of Meridian Avenue, just south of East Twiggs Street, with a wide span of two-story retail space and a tower further to the east.

Called "The Martin," the tower would reshape the skyline of the Channel District and create a high point on the north side as prominent as the two condo towers at the south end of the district.

Developers filed paperwork with the city for some rezoning of the property related to retail space. The site has been approved for some type of tower for years, said Abbye Feeley, a planning and development coordinator for the city.

The retail component would span 29,161 square feet, roughly the size of the downtown Publix Greenwise grocery store. Like most urban towers, parking would be stacked inside the base of the tower, with several hundred spaces.

Documents do not detail whether developers plan for the building to be condos or apartments, and officials involved in the project declined to comment. Plans call for 182 two-bedroom units, 85 one-bedroom units and 49 studio-sized units.

This project comes on the heels of many other residential projects popping up around Tampa as the financial markets re-start support of construction. Various developers plan projects with several hundred units each on Bayshore Boulevard, in Hyde Park Village, as well as a new residential tower adjacent to the Straz Center.

With "The Martin" project, there are details to work out regarding a small dog park that's on the tower site. Documents suggest there will be a reworking of that park in cooperation with the city.
http://www2.tbo.com/entertainment/br...nel-ar-644898/
USF802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #85
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 945

I know, finally. No surprise they want enough space for a grocery store. Once they filled in the last remaining space in Grand Central, it was a no brainer they would start looking at the Martin as their opportunity for a grocery store. Especially when the Channelside Apts. fill up and then this starts gaining occupants, there will be no doubt and need for a grocer.
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #86
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 129

Originally proposal was for two 24 story towers with 600+ units.
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #87
USF802

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
I know, finally. No surprise they want enough space for a grocery store. Once they filled in the last remaining space in Grand Central, it was a no brainer they would start looking at the Martin as their opportunity for a grocery store. Especially when the Channelside Apts. fill up and then this starts gaining occupants, there will be no doubt and need for a grocer.
Agreed, it was simply a matter of time for this project. Although I am slightly confused regarding the retail. I know the original proposal was supposed to have ground floor retail at the base, I wonder if that is still the plan in addition to the 2 story side building?

It also sounds like Publix might have been involved with this whole process, how it's very convenient that the additional retail is very similar in specs to the Publix Greenwise and how they just recently turned down the Encore site.
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #88
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Yeah, it sounds like Publix has been telling them pretty much if they can reconfigure the floor plans to include a grocer, they'll sign the lease papers.
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #89
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 129

Feb 27, 2013, 2:51pm EST
Publix appears more likely for Channel District development
Mark Holan
Vacant lot at 1115 E. Twiggs is the site of the Martin at Meridian multifamily development and a 36,000-square-foot retail space.

Mark Holan
Staff Writer-
Tampa Bay Business Journal

Email | LinkedIn | Twitter It’s beginning to look more likely that Publix Super Markets Inc. — or some other grocer — will open a store in the Channel District.

A 36,840-square-foot two-story retail space is shown in Phase II plans filed Tuesday for the 314-unit Martin at Meridian multifamily development at 1115 E. Twiggs St.

Ken Stoltenberg, principal at Tampa-based Mercury Advisors, declined to comment when asked if the space was for Publix.

“What we have filed, we filed,” he said.

Publix notified developers of the Encore project in early February that it would not open a store on the site near the Channel District. A spokeswoman for the Lakeland grocer, which is typically guarded about its expansion plans, did not immediately return a call Wednesday.

Most Publix stores are larger than 40,000 square feet, but smaller stores are not unprecedented.

Ten years ago Publix opened a 28,000-square-foot store at University Village in downtown St. Petersburg. The company opened a 39,000-square-foot GreenWise Market at 2403 W. Azeele St. in South Tampa in 2008.

New Publix locations openings the first three months of this year range from roughly 45,000 square feet to 54,000 square feet.

The Phase II plans call for several development waivers, including reducing the number of loading berths to one from five, and allowing solid waste trucks to operate in the Madison Street right of way.

City comments on the plans are due March 19, with a council hearing set for June 13.

The Martin at Meridian developers are also due before the Hillsborough County Aviation Authority on March 7 to renew height approval for the 24-story project.

Hardin Construction is tentatively set to begin work on the project in April.

Mark Holan's beats include commercial real estate and residential real estate.
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #90
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Developers want to build condo project in Channel District

By Drew Harwell, Times Staff Writer
Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:24pm

TAMPA — The developers of the sprawling Grand Central at Kennedy condo complex want to build even taller with their newest project, a 24-story apartment tower planned for the Channel District's northern edge.

The Martin at Meridian would house more than 300 apartments, seven floors of parking and a two-story retail building on Meridian Avenue, site plans submitted to the city this week show.

Developer Ken Stoltenberg, a director of the Tampa-based Mercury Advisors, said the $60 million project would be built on two vacant acres of Meridian just south of Twiggs Street, on a footprint half the size of Grand Central next door.

But the tower would stretch twice as high as its neighbor and stand as one of the tallest points in the waterfront district's skyline, below the Towers of Channelside, the 30 floors of condos near Channelside Bay Plaza.

Developers are now raising money to build the high-rise, which would still face local government review, Stoltenberg said. No opening date has been set.

Fringed with palm trees, the tower would be designed in the same "art deco, modern Miami style" of Grand Central, Stoltenberg said.

But its key difference is its apartments, an attempt to join what has become one of the busiest businesses in real estate. Rental demand is booming, and crisis-era slowdowns in building have opened a big market for nice, new apartment complexes.

Apartments are nothing new in the Channel District, where young complexes like The Place at Channelside and The Slade will compete with the four stories of Pierhouse, which will begin leasing next month. But even with the competition, Stoltenberg said, downtown Tampa could use a few more apartment centers.

In 2006, Stoltenberg said he had financing ready to build The Martin as a 22-story condo tower, but the project was mothballed as the condo market crumbled.

Grand Central has filled its 72,000 square feet of offices and its condos are 75 percent occupied, but its 108,000 square feet of retail space is only half full with businesses like the Stageworks Theatre and the Powerhouse Gym.

As for the Martin's 36,000 square feet in retail space, Stoltenberg won't say who he is angling for. Boosters like Mayor Bob Buckhorn say a good supermarket is the key to unlocking downtown's potential, but the space might be a bit tight for something like a Publix, which can average closer to 45,000 square feet.

Growth in the district, including a new Channelside Academy charter middle school, has improved the district's once-desolate image. But it is still a battle to persuade the other big dogs of the retail world to settle into an untested market.

"To try to convince the big national retail companies that downtown is ready to have you, it's a tough sell," Stoltenberg said. "But we're certainly a lot closer. Five years ago, I couldn't even get them to return my calls."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...strict/1276849
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:30 AM   #91
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Awesome news! I very well think a Publix could work out nicely there.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #92
Tampa on the move.

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Jasonhouse you nelled it buddy.. Man it's great news for DT Tampa.. Most likely 2 new towers going up with cranes this year.. What maybe early 2015 completion on these projects?

Now if we could just get that 48 story office tower... I would be very content.... And if not that some hotel or apartment on the old Trump site..
Tampa on the move. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:47 AM   #93
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

1. I wish they would just stick the tower above the retail. Why kill all of your development potential on this site at once?

2. To me, it would be best if this was something other than a Publix. I think Publix would benefit greatly from a store more centrally located within downtown, eventually allowing them to sell their Bayshore property. In this scenario, Davis Island, part of Harbour Island, and downtown residents and hotel guests will still frequent the Bayshore location.
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #94
USF802

Very informative Times article, nice to see one regarding downtown development without some negative slant.

Doesn't surprise me that they are going apartments, perhaps they might do what Intown is doing, doing apartments initially with the option to convert them to condos at a later date.
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #95
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF802 View Post
Very informative Times article, nice to see one regarding downtown development without some negative slant.

Doesn't surprise me that they are going apartments, perhaps they might do what Intown is doing, doing apartments initially with the option to convert them to condos at a later date.
Because unlike the Straz, this won't be blocking the views of the Times building.
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #96
tampaizzy

Likes (Received): 33

This is great news! with so many residence under construction the retail has to start filling up even more around channelside too.
tampaizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #97
CS-moab

Likes (Received): 19

Updates Plans

Updated(?) pics showing a single tower: http://mercury.dns-systems.net/proje...in-at-meridian

CS-moab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #98
TampaGuy

Likes (Received): 80

I kinda wish the garage was more covered but I like it.
TampaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #99
Casey

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaGuy View Post
I kinda wish the garage was more covered but I like it.
I agree. Hopefully, if a grocery store gets built next door on the empty parcel, it will block at least some of the view of the parking levels from Meridian.
Casey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #100
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

That garage definitely needs some covering, it might look as awful as the newer hotel (forgot the brand) built on Rocky Point.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
tampa-projects