daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Eastern Provinces

Eastern Provinces Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland

Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:09 AM   #1
algonquin

Likes (Received): 18

Some Newfoundland travel questions

Hello,

I'm considering a trip to Newfoundland sometime in the spring. When is the best time and where are the best places for viewing icebergs and whales? It's my understanding that the answer for both is from May onward, but I'm hoping for more specific info. I've seen a satellite map of iceberg sitings, and they seem to be almost all in the northern peninsula, which I wasn't planning to go to. I am aware that whales can be easily viewed just from the highway... I've been to Newfoundland when I was young, and I seem to recall seeing whales aplenty... I think it was near Ferryland.

The big idea is to simply fly into St. John's, spend some time there, and do several day trips from the city. I'm also considering flying into Deer Lake, renting a car there and driving to the Avalon peninsula, while exploring along the way. This option would open the possibility of going up the northern peninsula to see the icebergs if necessary (and Gros Morne, of course). I'll only have about a week though.

Any help or advice is appreciated! I only know of one Newfie SSC member (Joev, I believe).

Thanks
a report prepared by Standard & Poor's in May stating that there were 83 high-rise buildings under construction in Toronto that month — far more than Boston, San Francisco, Atlanta, Miami, and Chicago, and surpassed only by 124 buildings in New York.

my trip to Spain - Part 1
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 5th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #2
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 135

I don't know a lot about NFLD, but if you're coming to the E. Coast, you should definitely make a stop in NS. You've been my favourite forumer ever since I've joined and it would be cool to get a chance to meet. Besides, we may not have icebergs, but we have plenty of whales lol.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #3
algonquin

wow, thanks! I'm all embarrased now... :P

Unfortunately circumstances dictate that we fly, so we won't be able to include NS. Though my wife and I have been to NS before. It's quite beautiful!

cheers
a report prepared by Standard & Poor's in May stating that there were 83 high-rise buildings under construction in Toronto that month — far more than Boston, San Francisco, Atlanta, Miami, and Chicago, and surpassed only by 124 buildings in New York.

Old January 5th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Joev
(aka Architype)

Likes (Received): 7

Algonquin, the best time to see icebergs is between April and June; July at the latest; there may still be some around. The best places are usually from headlands on open ocean along the Northeast coast. The most famous place for iceberg viewing is at Twillingate, which is just about two hours north of Gander. It depends upon the year, some years icebergs come very close to St. John's harbour and the surrounding area and some get grounded along the coast.

If I had to chose a time it would be early June because it's not too cold then.

Here's a link about icebergs:
http://www.coastalsafari.com/ICEBERGS.htm

Here are some iceberg pics I took near Cape Spear, June 4, 2007:
http://www.pbase.com/joecanada/iceberg_i

Last edited by Joev; January 5th, 2009 at 08:57 AM.
Joev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #5
algonquin

Fogo, Twillingate, Moretons Harbour, all around a circle...

Thanks for the info! That's good news about Twillingate, that's an area I'd like to check out, and it's not too far from St.John's (closer than going up to St. Anthony, which is what I thought I'd might have to do). Maybe I'll fly into Gander and rent a car from there.

Thanks!

Old January 11th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #6
doogerz
Registered Groovemeister

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by algonquin View Post

Thanks for the info! That's good news about Twillingate, that's an area I'd like to check out, and it's not too far from St.John's (closer than going up to St. Anthony, which is what I thought I'd might have to do). Maybe I'll fly into Gander and rent a car from there.

Thanks!
I have relatives in Fogo, and if you take the ferry out there, be sure to check out the small town of 'Tilting' which is an Irish heritage site and quite scenic. Lots of icebergs to be seen.
doogerz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #7
Joev
(aka Architype)

Quote:
Originally Posted by algonquin View Post

Thanks!
My advice would be to book a car rental early; I've heard they can be scarce. I would fly to St John's instead of Gander as there are more resources in St John's. Gander literally has nothing to see, but it is a nice suburban town from the 50's. It takes about four hours to drive from St. John's to Gander and the drive is scenic with lots of potential side trips. I would recommend driving the Loop through the Cape Freels area (Route 320 & 330), that's also a good area for icebergs, full of history, and the sea & surf views are dramatic. The route also leads eventually to Twillingate. I would also recommend the Bonavista Peninsula, including Trinity village. If you have time to see Western Nfld, the best scenery is there around Gros Morne and the Bay of Islands.

Fogo is great too, but requires a day or two because of the ferry.

Last edited by Joev; January 13th, 2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:05 AM   #8
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6212

When folk from Newfoundland travel, they must check out this bar here in Toronto!!

Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #9
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 154

Good news to all you Newfies out there............I'm coming!
I wanted to break the news.................................you are so damn lucky!

So question.........I know that there is a ferry in the summer to just south of St.John's as opposed to going all the way thru Corner Brook but does a bus serve the route? I'm getting a Canada-wide bus pass for a month. I was going to do a Via rail pass but they went on strike and more importantly I could get to NFLD, {or Cape Breton/PEI/Calgary/Regina/Kelowna/Nelson etc} for that matter.
I love this country and have never made it east of QC and of all the place I want to see it's NFLD.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #10
Joev
(aka Architype)

I'm pretty sure there is bus service from Argentia to St. John's (90 minutes by car). However, I would call and make sure, rural or long distance public transportation is often run by small independant operators, with less than desirable service. Nfld is really car oriented, it's worth renting one, but that can be difficult in tourist season.

"There is also a bus that connects St John's with the Argentia Ferry, and timed with its arrivals and departures. This bus service is run by Newhook's Transportation (709-426-4876). Because this ferry is seasonal from mid-June until Labor Day, so is the bus service."
http://foundlocally.com/StJohns/Trans/Trans-Buses.htm

To get a feel for what's going on in St. John's, I recommend this blog:
http://signalblog.ca/

Also, you could try posing some questions in the St.John's thread at SSP, there are more active forumers there, maybe you can coax some of them to answer. I (aka Architype) have been taking up too much of the slack, but I'm living in BC.

Last edited by Joev; July 28th, 2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM   #11
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 154

Thanks for the info it's much appreciated!
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 02:57 AM   #12
dleung
BANNED

Likes (Received): 88

I got some travel questions of my own. Planning a 2 week roadtrip from halifax thru PEI to St Johns sometime in august. I'm guessing most of that time will be in NFL. What in your opinion are the must-see places? I saw some amazing tourism videos on Youtube, and I want to go to most of those settings. My buddies and I have zero interest in historic stuff, but would like to take the road less travelled if it means discovering the most beautiful towns and villages - the ones that cling to the most amazing landscapes. How bout that viking settlement at the tip of the northern peninsula... looks like a massive detour... is it worth driving to? Is there an easy way to get to the Hopewell rocks off the Bay of Fundy... or to some other place where it's possible to have some fun with the tides?

Right now, it looks like the easiest way will be to drive from halifax-bay of fundy-PEI, back to sydney to take the ferry to Port Aux Basques, loop around the island clockwise until reaching st johns?

The other thing is... music suggestions for burning onto CD's for the roadtrip, granted that Sigur Ros will be a given, lol.
dleung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:39 AM   #13
algonquin

Hwy 330 from Musgrave Harbour to Trinity is very beautiful. Check out Pool's Island and Trinity for some awesome scenery.

I found Bonavista to be painfully beautiful... painful because I didn't give myself enough time to linger. It's not too far off the highway either.

When you're in St. John's, drive south and do part of the Irish Loop, all the way down to Ferryland. Very nice. I'd go into greater detail but I'm a bit pressed for time at the moment.

Old April 14th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #14
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

Likes (Received): 725

Newfounland is the best place I've ever been to.

Old April 15th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #15
salwanbelwane

Likes (Received): 1

wonderful
salwanbelwane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:58 AM   #16
Joev
(aka Architype)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I got some travel questions of my own. Planning a 2 week roadtrip from halifax thru PEI to St Johns sometime in august. I'm guessing most of that time will be in NFL. What in your opinion are the must-see places? I saw some amazing tourism videos on Youtube, and I want to go to most of those settings. My buddies and I have zero interest in historic stuff, but would like to take the road less travelled if it means discovering the most beautiful towns and villages - the ones that cling to the most amazing landscapes. How bout that viking settlement at the tip of the northern peninsula... looks like a massive detour... is it worth driving to? Is there an easy way to get to the Hopewell rocks off the Bay of Fundy... or to some other place where it's possible to have some fun with the tides?

Right now, it looks like the easiest way will be to drive from halifax-bay of fundy-PEI, back to sydney to take the ferry to Port Aux Basques, loop around the island clockwise until reaching st johns?

The other thing is... music suggestions for burning onto CD's for the roadtrip, granted that Sigur Ros will be a given, lol.
There is a ferry from N. Sydney to Argentia in the summer but it's a long run. If you don't want to see historic stuff, I'm guessing you want scenery and urban life, so see the Gros Morne area, Corner Brook-Bay of Islands-Lark Harbour area in the West, St. John's city in the East, and some scenic areas between Twillingate and St. John's. The scenery around St. John's is nice too (see Brigus, the Torbay area, The South Shore-Ferryland area, Placentia, maybe Cape St Mary's if you have time). There is lots of nice scenery around Notre Dame Bay, Bonavista Bay, Trinity Bay and Placentia Bay, You have to leave the TCH and head out around the various bays to see anything worthwhile. To see the The Viking site is a long drive. There are lots of spectacular locations but they take quite a bit of time to reach, such as Bay D'Espoir on the south coast.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:58 AM   #17
dleung
BANNED

Likes (Received): 88

Thanks for all the suggestions. Any tips for nova scotia, PEI or the bay of fundy?
dleung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:42 AM   #18
Joev
(aka Architype)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. Any tips for nova scotia, PEI or the bay of fundy?
My advice would just be very general; I would recommend the South shore of NS (Lunenburg area), Annapolis Valley, and the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, and Louisbourg (maybe - it's historic but impressive). The tides in the Bay of Fundy are impressive to see, and you can see them just north of Wolfville on the way to Blomidon. PEI is so small that you can see it all in about a day or two.