search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Japan Forum 日本フォーラム > Infrastructure & Citytalk / インフラと街について語る

Infrastructure & Citytalk / インフラと街について語る Mass transit, Urban issues, Architecture etc / 公共交通機、都市問題、建築など

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 807 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 7th, 2017, 03:11 PM   #3281
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1416

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
Keikyu isn't JR. The JR group would love to be able to link both airports themselves. There currently is no one seat express service to haneda Airport from most other regions in Tokyo and they stand a good chance of being able to do that if they were to build that link but they would do better by routing it through shinagawa station seeing as hoe when you transfer between NEX and Tokyo bullet train Services right now you get a decent discount.
The already planned linkages in the Funabashi area will enable through links between the two airports via the Keiyo Line and Odaiba.

Connecting to the Joban Line and the Ueno-Tokyo Line would open up a MUCH larger area, with connections out through Hitachi. And Shinkansen connections could be made at Tokyo Station.

Quote:
There's also other slight little differences that go unnoticed like timetable synergy and even through routing that could happen from very far away regions in the same manner as one being able to take Yokosuka Line from Zushi all the way to the airport. Every now and then you have an NEX train that will start as far away as odawara for example. If that same train could also make a stop at haneda then we're looking at some serious changes in the way people get to the airport around here.
Trains from the South, such as Odawara and Zushi, could take the pre-existing Southern segment of the freight line. I suspect that there would be enough traffic to warrant a separate HEX service.

Quote:
The other thing that you need to remember about the Tokyo area each transportation company depends on what could be seen as their competitors in most other places to help drive revenue as well.

It's the same reason why the Tokyū Corporation will give certain concessions to Seibu because they share opposite ends of one line and they know that they will get their money back in increased passenger Revenue.

Indeed, Keikyu probably will need to spend money on making it's Haneda line hospitable for Tokyū's Ikegami Meguro and Toyoko trains if they ever connected the two together at Kamata. But they'd make up for it in increased revenue since it also means a one-year ride from Saitama.
The difference between these examples is that they are serving complementary markets-Tokyu and Seibu are at OPPOSITE ends of the same line, and Keikyu would be extending the Tokyu trains into a new service area. Both companies involved in each case are getting new service areas opened up. That is a big difference between having the same starting point (Shinagawa) and ending point (Haneda).
00Zy99 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:08 PM   #3282
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
The already planned linkages in the Funabashi area will enable through links between the two airports via the Keiyo Line and Odaiba.
I haven't seen this at all, but do know that the Keiyo line ends in a stub tunnel between Tokyo and Yurakucho stations with no physical connections between it and the Yokosuka/Sobu Express line above. A very deep tunnel that takes about 5 minutes to get to from the surface I might add. Unless you're meaning they would use the eastern end of the Keiyo line, but the only thing that really helps are those that need to get to/from the Makurari Messe area; the majority of Chibaites in that area and further down the Boso side of Tokyo Bay usually take the Airport Limousine to Haneda going the opposite direction and into the Aqua Line tunnel, which is much faster than any train could do.

Quote:
Connecting to the Joban Line and the Ueno-Tokyo Line would open up a MUCH larger area, with connections out through Hitachi. And Shinkansen connections could be made at Tokyo Station.
Yes, but the Chuo Maglev will terminate at Shinagawa station. 35 years from now, that will definitely be a bigger multimodal transfer point than today's Tokyo Station if they plan on keeping the terminus there. If the Tokaido Shinkansen is the measuring stick, I can tell you the difference in numbers of people alighting and boarding at Shinagawa and not continuing on to Tokyo station is pretty signifigant since some are actually using the opportunity to change to Keikyu to get to Haneda -- or going to the east gate and taking the direct bus to Haneda. Still others are simply getting off there and jumping onto other JR zairaisen lines there because Shinagawa is a much simpler area to transfer, even if one needs to go north because of the lateral gymnastics required to change trains in Tokyo Station (stairs leading to more stairs and going down just to go up for example.)

As for through routing Joban and Ueno-Tokyo Line trains through towards Ibaraki, Gunma and Tochigi, I could see some of that happening in much the same way as Sobu Express line trains sometimes wind up on the Narita line and end at NRT.
Quote:
Trains from the South, such as Odawara and Zushi, could take the pre-existing Southern segment of the freight line. I suspect that there would be enough traffic to warrant a separate HEX service.
Yes, this is what I also suspect, and can be seen with an arrow heading southward from HND on my diagram. However some other construction will be needed in Yokohama because the line also has physical connections with the Keihin Sangyo Kaigan part of the Nambu line, several transfer yards and eventually jogs just to the east of Yokohama station, avoiding it altogether, utlimately hooking into the Negishi line. One proposal I've seen was to allow Nambu trains to thru-run from Kawasaki station (possibly with a train-reversing movement possibly) onto the Haneda link route. Certain trains would run express from Tachikawa and even off the Musashino Line to provide services as well.

Quote:
The difference between these examples is that they are serving complementary markets-Tokyu and Seibu are at OPPOSITE ends of the same line, and Keikyu would be extending the Tokyu trains into a new service area. Both companies involved in each case are getting new service areas opened up. That is a big difference between having the same starting point (Shinagawa) and ending point (Haneda).
That was the point I was trying to illustrate actually. Usually it's JR vs other railways in terms of providing links to major destinations in Tokyo. The only place without this duality is Haneda (unless you count the Tokyo Monorail which is actually majority owned by JR East) hence the real wrangling for them to conjure up ways to connect their network to the airport.
One thing is certain: Haneda is only going to get more important as they've now started the construction to convert Terminal 2 to handle international flights and lifted restrictions on holding space for plane stacking in Tokyo's airspace (which is controlled by Yokota USAFB!) This means more flights generating more ground traffic.
starrwulfe está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:58 PM   #3283
00Zy99

Quote:
I haven't seen this at all, but do know that the Keiyo line ends in a stub tunnel between Tokyo and Yurakucho stations with no physical connections between it and the Yokosuka/Sobu Express line above. A very deep tunnel that takes about 5 minutes to get to from the surface I might add. Unless you're meaning they would use the eastern end of the Keiyo line, but the only thing that really helps are those that need to get to/from the Makurari Messe area; the majority of Chibaites in that area and further down the Boso side of Tokyo Bay usually take the Airport Limousine to Haneda going the opposite direction and into the Aqua Line tunnel, which is much faster than any train could do.
This is for the HEX-NEX. Trains would come from Narita down through Chiba, and would switch onto the Keiyo Line at Funabashi. They would then use the Rinkai Line and the Haneda Connector to reach Haneda.

Quote:
Yes, but the Chuo Maglev will terminate at Shinagawa station. 35 years from now, that will definitely be a bigger multimodal transfer point than today's Tokyo Station if they plan on keeping the terminus there.
But Keikyu will already have a convenient transfer point ready for absorbing Chuo Shinkansen traffic (which will likely be the premium fare segment). I am uncertain if there would be enough additional demand.

Quote:
If the Tokaido Shinkansen is the measuring stick, I can tell you the difference in numbers of people alighting and boarding at Shinagawa and not continuing on to Tokyo station is pretty signifigant since some are actually using the opportunity to change to Keikyu to get to Haneda -- or going to the east gate and taking the direct bus to Haneda.
(see above and below)

Quote:
Still others are simply getting off there and jumping onto other JR zairaisen lines there because Shinagawa is a much simpler area to transfer, even if one needs to go north because of the lateral gymnastics required to change trains in Tokyo Station (stairs leading to more stairs and going down just to go up for example.)
But this does not really affect people going to and from Haneda.

Quote:
As for through routing Joban and Ueno-Tokyo Line trains through towards Ibaraki, Gunma and Tochigi, I could see some of that happening in much the same way as Sobu Express line trains sometimes wind up on the Narita line and end at NRT.
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here-I am saying that the Haneda Access Line would be what was connect to the Joban and Ueno-Tokyo Lines.

Quote:
Yes, this is what I also suspect, and can be seen with an arrow heading southward from HND on my diagram. However some other construction will be needed in Yokohama because the line also has physical connections with the Keihin Sangyo Kaigan part of the Nambu line, several transfer yards and eventually jogs just to the east of Yokohama station, avoiding it altogether, utlimately hooking into the Negishi line. One proposal I've seen was to allow Nambu trains to thru-run from Kawasaki station (possibly with a train-reversing movement possibly) onto the Haneda link route. Certain trains would run express from Tachikawa and even off the Musashino Line to provide services as well.
(see from above)

Passengers coming from the Tokaido Shinkansen could transfer at Odawara. There is roughly a nine minute time difference when compared to traveling up to Shinagawa and transferring to the Keikyu, and its probably cheaper.

:30 minutes Odawara to Shinagawa by Shinkansen

:11 minutes Shinagawa to Haneda by Keikyu

---------------------------------------------------------------

:45 minutes Odawara to Kawasaki by Odoriko

:05 minutes Kawasaki to Kamata (roughly equivalent to Haneda) by Keihin-Tohoku

All that would be necessary would be a few crossovers between the existing Tokaido main tracks and the freight tracks in the vicinity of Tsurumi Station. The freight tracks curve south onto the Nambu shuttle, and then curve east again into the tunnel to Haneda.

Quote:
That was the point I was trying to illustrate actually. Usually it's JR vs other railways in terms of providing links to major destinations in Tokyo. The only place without this duality is Haneda (unless you count the Tokyo Monorail which is actually majority owned by JR East) hence the real wrangling for them to conjure up ways to connect their network to the airport.
And I have just offered cheaper alternatives for just about everything.

Quote:
One thing is certain: Haneda is only going to get more important as they've now started the construction to convert Terminal 2 to handle international flights and lifted restrictions on holding space for plane stacking in Tokyo's airspace (which is controlled by Yokota USAFB!) This means more flights generating more ground traffic.
Yokota is the control center?! How far out do they go?
Old March 13th, 2017, 07:38 PM   #3284
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Seibu 40000 series gets shown off one week before public service starts

So... guess who got to check out this new shiny toy up close and in person?

ME!!

Here's a walkthru of the vehicles I did on a separate webpage.
Old March 17th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #3285
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

New Tokyu 2020 series

Tokyu Corporation will introduce new trainsets for the Den-en-toshi Line by spring 2018.

This is the 2020 series, named because the Tokyo Olympics and the 100th anniversary of the company in 2022. 3 10-car sets will be constructed.

New 2020 series at the renewed Minami-Machida Station

http://www.tokyu.co.jp/file/170317.pdf
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2017/03/17/329/

The Boy David, PiotrG, MeruKosu3 liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 07:02 PM   #3286
00Zy99

cross-post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by castermaild55 View Post

World8115, The Boy David liked this post
Old April 7th, 2017, 09:19 PM   #3287
ukiyo
モデラーター

Likes (Received): 8629

Population surge brings commuter pain to Tokyo waterfront
Quote:
TOKYO -- The population in Tokyo's waterfront areas has ballooned in recent years and is only expected to keep climbing after the 2020 Olympics, ratcheting up pressure on the local government to expand its already crowded public transit system.

Kachidoki station served an average of about 98,000 passengers a day in fiscal 2015 -- or roughly 40% more than 10 years earlier. It is the fourth-busiest on the 38-stop Oedo subway line, and the busiest among stations with no transfers. In an effort to ease congestion and eliminate safety concerns, Tokyo's Bureau of Transportation is expanding the platform and building new entrances.

Toyosu Station on the Yurakucho line has also experienced a roughly 40% passenger surge, over the five years through fiscal 2015.

High-rise condominiums are sprouting up on the waterfront of Tokyo's Chuo and Koto wards, just a stone's throw away from downtown. The population of Chuo Ward surpassed 150,000 in January for the first time in 55 years, while Koto Ward topped the 500,000 mark back in 2015.

The appraised value of plots in Chuo Ward's Kachidoki area was 5.3% to 6.8% higher on Jan. 1 than a year earlier. Appraisals had climbed 3.9% to 7.9% in Koto Ward's Toyosu area. Chuo Ward will host the Olympic village for the 2020 Games, which will then be turned into housing. The population in these areas is only expected to grow.

But transportation systems have not caught up. Rail service is lacking there compared with the very heart of Tokyo, and few major roads connect the two wards with downtown. A new road was supposed to partially open last year between downtown and Toyosu, the planned relocation site of the iconic Tsukiji fish market. But the market's move has been delayed, impacting the road's completion as well.

"There's a lot of traffic on roads to the center of Tokyo," said a 41-year-old who drives to work from his home in Harumi, Chuo Ward.

The Tokyo government was planning to launch a bus rapid transit system in fiscal 2019 using a reserved lane on the new Toyosu road. But it will be forced to revisit those plans.

"Given that the population is expected to continue growing after the Olympics, we face an urgent need to build more public transportation," said Hirohito Kuse, a professor at Japan's Ryutsu Keizai University.

(Nikkei)

http://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Econ...kyo-waterfront
Joban Line section in Fukushima sees trial run
Quote:
Jiji Press MINAMISOMA, Fukushima (Jiji Press) — East Japan Railway Co. started a trial train run on Tuesday in a Joban Line section in Fukushima Prefecture that has been suspended due to damage from the March 2011 disaster and the subsequent nuclear accident.

The test run was launched in an 8.9-kilometer section between Odaka and Namie stations, connecting the city of Minamisoma and the town of Namie on the Pacific coast.

An evacuation advisory in place for all residents in Namie following the triple meltdown accident at Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings Inc.’s Fukushima No. 1 plant will be lifted on March 31 for some areas, including alongside the Joban Line.

In line with the lifting, the railway operator, better known as JR East, is planning to reopen the Odaka-Namie section as early as this month.

The section suffered no major tsunami damage, but has been halted due to the need for repairs on earthquake-damaged equipment and decontamination work related to the nuclear accident.

Currently, a 36.6-kilometer Joban Line section between Odaka Station and Tatsuta Station in the town of Naraha, Fukushima Prefecture, are suspended

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0003562548
Tokyo buses to be given alphanumeric route displays
Quote:
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — The Tokyo metropolitan government plans to introduce alphanumeric route displays for its bus services as early as in 2018, informed sources told Jiji Press on Tuesday.

The Tokyo government aims to attract more foreign users with the more accessible route displays ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games. It also plans to call on other bus operators to follow suit.

The metropolitan government’s transportation bureau currently operates 129 bus routes, and they are displayed by the combinations of kanji characters mainly showing places of terminals and numbers.

In the envisaged new system, alphabets representing places of terminals and numbers will show routes, according to the sources.

For example, the route connecting the west exit of Shinjuku Station of East Japan Railway Co. and some other railway operators and Shindaita Station of Keio Corp.’s Inokashira Line will be shown as “SJ91,” with SJ representing Shinjuku, the sources said.

The average daily number of users of metropolitan government-operated buses has been on the decrease since peaking at about 1.3 million in fiscal 1972, because the five-day-week system has been increasingly adopted in Japan and due to the launches of new train lines. The number has been below 600,000 in recent years.

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0003522014

Aconcagua 9, ko7 liked this post

Last edited by ukiyo; April 7th, 2017 at 09:43 PM.
ukiyo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 03:57 AM   #3288
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

a few of these routes are already in place on shuttle busses that serve certain areas like the RH01 Roppongi Hills ⇔ Shibuya Station express

ukiyo liked this post
Old April 8th, 2017, 06:11 AM   #3289
ukiyo
モデラーター

What do you think of it?
Old April 8th, 2017, 07:51 AM   #3290
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

I think it helps foreigners definitely. Really hard for me to tell somebody to catch the 宿84 bus vs the SJ84. And there certainly are a lot more areas that are covered by bus in between train stations. But it's just as I said before--with these numbering plans to make everything completely accessible, they need to go all the way with the translation: bus stops, announcements on the buses, and signage.

ukiyo, ko7 liked this post

Last edited by starrwulfe; April 22nd, 2017 at 06:01 AM.
Old April 9th, 2017, 07:05 PM   #3291
ukiyo
モデラーター

Osaka to privatize subway, bus operations in 2018, achieving Hashimoto goal
Quote:
OSAKA – The Osaka Municipal Assembly has approved an ordinance to privatize public subway and bus operations in the major city in April 2018.

The privatization of a public subway system will be a national first.

According to the ordinance, approved Tuesday, subway operations will be transferred to a new company of which the city will take full control while the bus business will be handed over to Osaka City Bus Co., a city-affiliated firm.

The privatization of the two transport systems was one of the key campaign promises of former Osaka Mayor Toru Hashimoto. But the plan, requiring approval by a two-thirds majority of assembly members, was rejected twice.

This time, it was backed by the Liberal Democratic Party, Komeito and others as well as Osaka Ishin no Kai.

Unlike in past votes, the LDP supported the ordinance, after Mayor Hirofumi Yoshimura accepted most of the conditions the party demanded.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201...ashimoto-goal/
Old April 22nd, 2017, 02:30 AM   #3292
00Zy99

crosspost:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Rail Journal

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=524

Tobu Railway uses new fleet to revamp services
Friday, April 21, 2017

JAPAN’s Tobu Railway introduced a new timetable on April 21 featuring additional limited-express services operated by its 500 series Revaty trains which are entering service at the same time

The new timetable increases the number of limited-express trains between Tokyo, Nikko and Kinugawa by five services on weekdays, and nine at weekends and holidays. An additional eight limited express trains are operating on the Yagan and Aizu lines from Asakusa to Aizu-tajima. New limited express routes are operating between Asakusa and Kasukabe and now extend to the Tobu Urban Park Line in the morning and evening peak periods, while outbound trains are stopping at Sengen-dai for the first time

Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM   #3293
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

811 Series refurbishment

JR Kyushu is modernizing the 811 series Commuter Trains on Kagoshima Main Line, Nagasaki Main Line and Nippo Main Line.

In April 2017, set PM4 was refurbished, renumbered as set PM1504. Refurbishment changes include replacing the traction control equipment with SiC-VVVF equipment, changing to a single-arm pantograph, tinted passenger windows, full-colour LED destination indicators, and replacement of the former transverse seating with longitudinal bench seating.

The interior and exterior design was overseen by the industrial design company Don Design Associates (Eiji Mitooka).

The 811 series is an AC EMU train type operated on local services by Kyushu Railway Company since 1989.

Source:
https://twitter.com/StarryskyRapid
https://twitter.com/orio_crewing
https://twitter.com/fwkntakeshi
https://twitter.com/uchiko1103

starrwulfe, PiotrG liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: