daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #1
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 5102

[DK] Denmark | road infrastructure • motorveje i Danmark

Denmark has 1071 km of motorway, including a couple of big-ass bridges, like the Little Belt Bridge, the Great Belt Bridge and the Sont Bridge (all on the E20 motorway).
All Danish motorways have names, but they are not signed on the road.

Danish Motorways on Danish wikipedia

my clinched highways • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 29th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #2
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E45 Flensburg - Frederikshavn
Flensburg - Aabenraa - Haderslev - Kolding - Vejle - Horsens - Århus - Randers - Aalborg - Frederikshavn

The E45 is the most important north-south motorway in Denmark. It goes from the German border near Padborg (or Flensburg) via Århus, the second largest Danish city to Frederikshavn, where the ferries to Oslo and Göteborg depart.
The E45 has a large amount of trucks between Kolding and Aalborg, outside of rushhours like 50% of the total traffic. There has been build a large bridge across the Vejlefjord, with a magnificent view over the Fjord. This photoserie contains the entire E45 motorway over it's 350km length.

Padborg (D) - Kolding -> Part I: 76 pictures

Kolding - Frederikshavn -> Part II: 226 pictures

Old September 29th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #3
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Video: E20 København

The E20 is a busy motorway on the southern side of København. This video begins right after the Öresundbridge from Malmö, Sweden, and goes through the southeastern suburbs of Tårnby and Ørestad, and the international airport of København. Via the suburb of Avedøre Holme leads to the Interchange Motorvejkryds Avedøre with the E47.

Old September 29th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #4
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Video: E20 Storebæltsbroen

Official name: Storebæltsbroen - Great Belt Bridge
Crosses: Great Belt sea strait
carries: E20 motorway and railway Odense - København
longest span: West Bridge 110 meters, East Bridge 1624 meters (2nd longest in the world)
Clearance below: West Bridge 18 meters, East Bridge 65 meters
Height Pylons: 254 meters, highest structure in Denmark

Old September 29th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #5
FREKI
Pip pip pip boom..

Likes (Received): 2434

Nice thread mate!
FREKI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #6
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 1984

Great, Chris! I hope you had a great time. The emergency lane looks pretty rough, is it gravel? And what's with the two black lines? As for the interchange E20/E45, I expected Copenhagen as a destination.

P.S.: does "nygifte" mean "just married"?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #7
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 1

Yes, excellent photos from both Denmark and Sweden - congratulations Chris !

My first impression: the direction signs in Denmark look very clear and organized. The ones from Sweden... not so much.

Also I am very anxious to hear more of your opinions about those 2 countries now that you have visited them - many people say that they are the most advanced societies in Europe in some ways. I'm very curious how different or similar they are compared to Central European countries I am familiar with (like Germany).
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #8
wyqtor
Coexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
P.S.: does "nygifte" mean "just married"?
I thought it means "new gifts" , but probably your interpretation is more plausible!
Old September 30th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #9
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 82

I confirm this.

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #10
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nygifte means indeed "just married".

Denmark is a very modern country, i can't say too much about Sweden, since i have been there only one day.
EVERYBODY speaks good English in Denmark, from a woman behind the counter at the gas station, to people in the streets. Besides that, i found Danish an extremely easy language to read (speaking and understanding is another thing), but that's maybe because it is quite similar to Dutch. Swedish doesn't differ very much from Danish to me.

Old September 30th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #11
ChrisZwolle
Road user

About the roads, i found the quality of the Motorways only "average", most pavement looks very old, and i have seen only one construction site (near Greve, south of Copenhagen). Some of the track formation has been filled up with asphalt, hence the 2 black lines on the right lane.

However, the other roads are of a good quality, Denmark isn't very flat, instead, you wave through the country over the road. It's very hilly, although the hills aren't very high, mostly not over 100m. The actual coast is usually 20m lower as the surrounding areas, making often a steep coastline, i saw that on the island of Fyn (Funen) and Jylland (Jutland). On the E45, there are sometimes nice views over low valleys.

I can't say enough about the big-ass bridges they have there, even the Little Belt Bridge is impressive, not to mention the huge Great Belt Bridge and the Sont Bridge. I've taken video's of all these bridges. On the Vejle Fjord bridge, you have a stunning view over the Fjord, specially on the northbound lanes. A disadvantage of these bridges can be difficult driving, even with 5bft winds, because the Great Belt bridge is actually a stunning 65 meter above the waters, heavy crosswinds can appear. This thursday, a northeastern storm occured, with 12bft winds according to the TV3 teletekst, i wonder if they close the bridges, maybe for truck traffic, i can't imagine the trucks won't flip over with those winds.

Old September 30th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #12
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Video: E20 Oresund bridge

Official name; Øresundsbroen (DK), Öresundsbron (S)
Crosses: Oresund strait
Between: Malmö and København
Carries: E20 motorway and railwayline Malmö - København
Longest span: 490 meters
Length bridge: 7.845 meters
coast-to-coast: 22km
Clearance below: 57 meters
AADT: 13.602
Tolls: 32 Euro, 245 DKK, 300 SEK.

Old September 30th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #13
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 1518

those things... i don't have words for them! except maybe that Struma is more impressive...
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #14
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 10

Chris, the amount of pictures (and video's) is fabolous again. I'll sure watch them when I'm home. I hope you've enjoyed your trip to Denmark. For myself making so much pictures would be a-relaxing.

I've got one question about Danish 'motorvejene'. This weekend I got the little book 'Motorvej' (very interesting btw, every country should have something like this). It says something about a safe (?) speed of maximum 120 km/h (speed limit is 130 of 110km/h). What's with that? My Danish is not that good to read the text about it.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #15
wyqtor
Coexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
those things... i don't have words for them! except maybe that Struma is more impressive...
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #16
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
I've got one question about Danish 'motorvejene'. This weekend I got the little book 'Motorvej' (very interesting btw, every country should have something like this). It says something about a safe (?) speed of maximum 120 km/h (speed limit is 130 of 110km/h). What's with that? My Danish is not that good to read the text about it.
I'm not sure, i saw it only 2 times in Denmark (on the E45). It doesn't make much sense either, the road looks the same when the limit was 130km/h. It was also only for a short distance (1 - 2km).

I think it's a recommended maximum speed, like the 130km/h in Germany, looking at the brochure you'd mentioned.

Old October 1st, 2007, 09:25 AM   #17
Wallaroo

The Danish motorways are not better than anywhere else, and not very impressive at all. I would refer to them as mediocracy motorways. They basically have two major faults IMO - too many sharp curves that are not suitable for high speeds, and not enough lanes. Kinda like the horrible Danish railroad system actually.

Last edited by Wallaroo; October 1st, 2007 at 05:43 PM.
Wallaroo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 05:48 PM   #18
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaroo View Post
The Danish motorways are not better than anywhere else, and not very impressive at all. I would refer to them as mediocracy motorways. They basically have two major faults IMO - too many sharp curves that are not suitable for high speeds, and not enough lanes. Kinda like the horrible Danish railroad system actually.
well, if you haven't noticed, nobody's admiring motorways here, but those fantastic and fabolous objects on them!
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM   #19
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E20 Esbjerg - Malmö

Esbjerg - Kolding - Middelfart - Odense - Slagelse - Køge - København - Malmö

A staggering 300 photo's of this motorway. First, we head east on the Jylland peninsula (Jutland), towards Kolding, where we meet the E45 motorway to Århus and Flensburg. After Fredericia we pass over the Lillebæltsbridge to Middelfart on the island of Fyn (Funen). We pass by the large city of Odense, whereafter we cross the Great Belt over the stunning Storebæltbridge. We arrive on the island of Sjælland (S/Zealand). After 70km, we pass by Køge, the southernmost suburb of København, and we join the E47 motorway to the northeast. After 30km of suburbs, the E47 leaves us in the direction of Helsingør. Another huge bridge is in sight; the Øresundbridge, between København and Malmö. In Sweden, this picture-serie continues until we join the E6 from Trelleborg at the southern edge of Malmö.

It has become so many pics, because the Great Belt, Little Belt and Sontbridge are just so stunning to see.

Part I -> Esbjerg - Odense: 103 pics

Part II -> Odense - Malmö: 197 pics

Old October 2nd, 2007, 11:56 PM   #20
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 1984

Oh, that's a spectacular ride.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
legoland