SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1M views 4K replies 259 participants last post by  geogregor 
#1 · (Edited)
No skyscrapers planned, but plenty of interesting mid-rise projects. Notably:

http://www.thewatergardens.co.uk/ - still under construction

http://www.chambers-wharf.co.uk/ - finally a planning application for this crucial site

http://www.canadawater-southwark.co.uk/ - regeneration project around Canada Water - to include a distinctive new library by Piers Gough, a revamp of the mall (no info yet at http://www.surreyquaysshoppingcentre.co.uk/redevelopment.html), new restaurants, cafes, residential buildings

http://www.bermondseyspa.co.uk/site/bs_home.html - big regeneration project, mostly now in early stages of construction

Transport-wise, the East London Line (stops at Rotherhithe and Canada Water) shuts at the end of this year, to reopen two and a half years later with extensions north and south, new trains, and a rebrand as London Overground (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/networkandservices/2105.aspx)

And there's a feasibility study underway for a cycling and pedestrian bridge to link Rotherhithe to Canary Wharf (http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp?sID=1093338220720), which would be very welcome as the Rotherhithe Tunnel is no fun if you're not in a car.

See less See more
#4 ·
I briefly lived in the first block of what is now the Watergardens about 4 years ago
Not sure if that's possible - all the Watergardens buildings are brand new. They do take some cues (eg octagonal shape) from the neighbouring development (a bit further along the Albion Channel) - perhaps you were in one of those blocks?

#3 ·
Yep, I wasn't claiming much of this was news, I just thought it would be useful (for me at least) to put the links together in one place.

The design for the library at Canada Water is newish - haven't seen it posted in these forums. Looking forward to seeing more visuals of the rest of the project.

Chambers Wharf is much-needed - the derelict buildings there at the moment (http://www.derelictlondon.com/chambers_wharf.htm) effectively cut off that part of the river.

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
The bridge has a viable business case and is worth pursuing, but sadly there is currently no-one out there who is ready to put their hand in their pocket. Fingers crossed though, I think it's an excellent idea.

Interesting point on the sites around the tube (sites A and B), which are part of the Southwark/Canada Quays joint venture. The original idea was for the bulk of the site to be high density private resi, with the requisite social element within. However these fancy flats would be adjacent to some council estates which the council doesn't have funds to raise to decent homes standards.

Talks have been under way, however, to change this principle. The idea is the developer will build social housing on sites A and B - these would be a mixture of types and tenants from the adjacent estates would be moved into these properties, so they get new modern housing and out of the council blocks.

The developer then takes over the council estates, replacing the mid-rise council with new mid-rise private, and refurbishing the two Canada Estate tower blocks (Regina and Columbia Point, both 62m), which are right next to Canada Water station, for private sale. This would be similar treatment to nearby Aragon Tower, which was also raised from 78m to 92m (not clear if this is being considered here too). This would be the only way for a developer to market premium value high-rise flats as the area is affected by viewing corridors, but you can refurb an existing tower without any viewing corridor issues.

On a point of detail, while the Southwark-Canada Quays scheme masterplan includes the shopping centre and Decathlon sites, these are not in the same ownership, and the scheme is therefore effectively limited to the area north of the dock. However the owners of the land to the south (incl shoping centre) are keen to redevelop, but it won't be part of the other scheme.

Other schemes to follow on from Officer Dibble's list

Waterside View, which is on the site of the current Decathlon; the plan is underground car parking, ground floor a rebuilt Decathlon with the dockside fronted by cafes and restaurants, then resi above. Limited to 30m height due to viewing corridor from Greenwich to St Pauls which runs right across this area.

Discussions are being held with the developer as to whether they will incorporate a new public leisure centre and swimming pool on the site in return for the land Seven Islands leisure centre sits on for resi development.

Also a planning application is in for the Mulberry Business Park

Height again limited by the viewing corridor. Highest element at the rear (from this view - actually the south) is thin commercial development to screen the flats from the Standard/Metro/Daily Mail newspaper print works behind - noise from which resulted in the previous application for this site being turned down.

#8 ·
Keep it up..

Really interested reading these threads. Been in this area for years and it's great to see regeneration starting to move forward.

Watergardens looks as if the scaffolding is coming down. Love the library idea, and i must agree with above that they should indeed look into a leisure Centre, gym in the area. 7 islands is ok for what it is but they need something nicer and bigger for the new residents they are looking to attract.

Also a bike/walk bridge across to canary wharf would be pretty hand for a long of people in the area that have would walk over the river if they could but instead have to add to the congestion of the tubes.

#9 · (Edited)
I think since the Jubilee Line was extended it's been inevitable this area (between London Bridge and Canary Wharf, i.e. much more central than many Londoners realize) would see some dramatic changes - and I agree, it's very exciting to see some big projects start to take shape.

And thanks SELondoner for an excellent post. The website for WatersideView (http://www.watersideview.co.uk/index.html) is quite out of date, but the development looks good to me - I particularly like the idea of a path cutting through the middle:

#10 ·
Interesting thread! Couple of others to add in my immediate neighbourhood.

There's an Oakmayne scheme for the site currently occupied by Recall on Bermondsey Street. There was a public exhibition recently but no renders yet. It's a large site, as big as the nearby City Walk development.

Also on a smaller scale there's an application for a 7 storey flat building on the corner of Bermondsey Street and Long Lane with the existing market buildings being demolished. I live next door, so am particularly interested in this scheme!

Fingers crossed for the footbridge going ahead, would certainly widen my running options as my usual route is from Bermondsey Street to the far end of Rotherhithe Street and back, it'd be great to be able to get across to CW and back on the north side of the Thames.

#11 ·
Nice thread!I cant believe how many regeneration projects there are in London at the moment.Cant wait for them to be completed.
Yes that footbridge would be great.You can find bigger pictures in London Projects thread.

Water Gardens :

And Convoys Wharf in Deptford.Designed by Rogers.Its stuck in planning hell.

Btw guys can we rename this thread to South East London?It also would be nice to see pictures of how all these projects are progressing.

#14 ·
Here's another image of the new library. Note that this has full planning permission and funding allocated by Southwark council, and work is due to start later in 2007. You can see behind the two council towers I mentioned earlier, which could potentially be involved in a land swap and be refurbished for private resi.

More views:

A slightly older, wider view showing an old design for the library (it is the light brown block in the centre of the picture)

These images are from http://www.canadawater.org

#15 ·
That older picture makes the shopping centre look like it is waterside? Almost like the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas?

Also nice to see the huge car park being used a little better.

Im glad some of that waste site around Canada Water will now be used.

The Waterside Gardens has sprung up pretty fast, fingers crossed the rest will done pretty soon.

#16 ·
Canada Water's New Library

Interesting Design (who did it??)

Reminds me of something out of a sci-fi film......... be I'm glad to see they are using the waste ground near the station for something.

Am also glad to see the will still be calling it a Library rather than an Ideas Store as in Tower Hamlets. Ideas STore have you ever heard of something so silly:lol: !

#17 · (Edited)
Just been along to the Chambers Wharf public exhibition and very interesting it was too. I'm very positive about this scheme. I particularly like the environmental angle with wind turbines, solar panels and heat exchangers being included (vital that these are actually included when it gets built! Cynical, moi? Never!) and the fact that the Thames Path is opened up between Bermondsey Wall and Cherry Tree Gardens. There also seems to be a decent percentage of social housing although I forget the exact figure. Worth a trip along if you're in the area, bit if not here's a few pics I took.

Map of the site. The buildings step up from roughly the same height as the existing buildings facing Chambers Street to up to 14 storeys overlooking the river.

Chambers Street, now and proposed.

Along the Thames Path showing the wind turbines

Not Chambers Wharf but pertinent to this thread:

The Bermondsey Square development on the corner of Bermondsey Street and Long Lane.

Meanwhile across the road:

Planning permission has been submitted to demolish the Antiques Market buildings to the right of the pics and replace them with a 7 storey block. I live in the warehouse building on the left of the picture.

#19 ·
No worries! :cheers:

Re the market buildings, I'm not that fussed about the ones in the photo but the ones right on the corner of Bermondsey Street should be retained IMO. 7 storeys seems too high to me, 6 storeys up to the height of Tanners Yard (the building to the left) would seem fair enough. That probably makes me a NIMBY though as I live next door :D

#22 ·
They're the ones, great find Johnny! The planning submission seems to be to demolish all the buildings in the bottom right quartile of the picture. I'd certainly want to see the row of cream shops facing onto Bermondsey Street retained and restored, as you rightly say it is vital to retain the character of the area.

The little warehouse to the right of the main Tanners Yard building is quite cool as well even though it's actually not as good architecturally as Tanners Yard, therefore I'd probably concede it as part of an architecturally sensitive new build.

#25 ·
I went to the Chambers Wharf exhibition this afternoon. Not a huge amount to see - just a PR guy there on behalf of St Martins and a dozen or so CGI pics, the most interesting ones of which Smoggie Si has kindly posted. Some crazy old people moaning about the height of the proposals (que? it's 14 storeys tops).

A third of the housing will be "affordable" - that'll all be on Chambers St. The PR guy say St Martin's have been talking to the council for nearly a year and a half, so (given that CABE's already given the thumbs up) he thinks planning permission should not be a massive problem - some minor changes needed perhaps. Lots of demolition etc to do once it's got the green light - construction proper would start 2010ish.

Bring it on.

#28 · (Edited)
#29 · (Edited)
Had an email from the guy doing PR for Chambers Wharf, hinting that some positive comments to the council might balance the NIMBYs who presumably are normally the only people who bother to comment on proposals. He wrote:

All you need to do is send an email to: planning.applications@southwark.gov.uk
and title it: Comments on application 07-AP-1262

Just thought I'd post those details here in case anyone feels like writing to the council about this, whatever your views. I'll probably send a supportive email.

[Edit: OK, I have just sent a supportive email!]