daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > North Africa > Egypt > Transport & Infrastructure Projects | المشاريع التحتية و النقل

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2016, 06:37 PM   #181
love construction

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmat View Post
"Clean" coal is still an environmental menace. And we have several coal-fired power plants set for construction with a capacity similar to this plant. The one in El Hamrawen is expected to contribute 3000MW to the national grid.
Clean coal releases so much carbon dioxide and causes air pollution. Israel has apparently announced that it is considering building a nuclear power plant back in November a few days after we signed the agreement with Russian to build a nuclear power plant.

Israel's Energy Ministry mulls nuclear power plant

The move is part of the plan to reduce Israel's greenhouse gas emissions 25% by 2030.

The Ministry of National Infrastructure, Energy and Water Resources is conducting a feasibility study for construction of a nuclear power plant in Israel, and is examining the human, scientific, and engineering infrastructure required for the project, sources inform "Globes."

Last September, the cabinet approved for the first time targets for reducing emissions of greenhouse gases and streamlining energy conservation in the economy in preparation for the 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Paris next week. The Conference goal is to reach a global binding agreement on climate change. The Ministry of National Infrastructure, Energy and Water Resources has allocated NIS 500 million to the plans, plus grants totaling NIS 300 million over four years for investment in energy conservation.

Achievement of the approved targets is designed to reduce emissions by 25% by 2030. Within 45 days, the government ministries are slated to formulate a plan forimplementing out the decision. Ministry of National Infrastructure, Energy and Water Resources director general Shaul Meridor demanded the insertion of a clause stating that Israel could promote the construction of the plant. Minister of Environmental Protection Avi Gabbay, however, strongly opposed the clause, which was dropped. The Ministry of National Infrastructure, Energy and Water Resources will therefore formulate its own plan for achieving the targets.

Among other things, the Ministry of National Infrastructure, Energy and Water Resources is considering the construction of a nuclear power plant, claiming that it would emit less pollutants than a coal-fired plant, and therefore contribute to achievement of the targets. It was also asserted that such a plant would contribute to diversification of Israel's fuel, thereby bolsteringthe country's energy security. The proposal to build a nuclear plant (Project E) wasraised several years agobcause of the delay in the construction of an additional coal-fired plant in Ashkelon (Project D). For various reasons, the coal plant was not built, and will probably never be built.

According to the World Nuclear Association, there are 437 nuclear reactors currently operating in the world, 66 of which are now under construction. The International Energy Agency (IEA) predicts that production of electricity from nuclear energy will rise from 392 gigawatts at present to 620 gigawatts by 2040, when it will account for 12% of global electricity production. In order to obtain the know-how for producing nuclear energy, countries must sign the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, which states that the country will not use the technology to produce nuclear weapons. Israel and four other countries (India, Pakistan, North Korea, and Sudan) are unwilling to sign the treaty, and are therefore forbidden to produce nuclear electricity. Nevertheless, India has been producing electricity from nuclear energy since 2011.

Source: http://www.globes.co.il/en/article-e...ant-1001084087

Last edited by love construction; May 30th, 2016 at 08:24 AM.
love construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2016, 11:12 AM   #182
minymina

Likes (Received): 1115

Israel already has Nukes. I don't necessarily think it has anything to do with Egypt's plan to build a civilian power plant.

"@ariannahuff is unattractive both inside and out. I fully understand why her former husband left her for a man, he made a good decision" - Donald J. Trump‏
minymina está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #183
bidonv

Likes (Received): 2882

Why dont use the recent gas discovery of El Zoheir to fuel a gas combined cycle? that's a way better option for Egypt than an hazardous nuclear path ................................
Old May 30th, 2016, 01:55 PM   #184
Azmat

Likes (Received): 6401

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidonv View Post
Why dont use the recent gas discovery of El Zoheir to fuel a gas combined cycle? that's a way better option for Egypt than an hazardous nuclear path ................................
Egypt is pursuing a very ambitious energy policy, the nuclear power plant is just one of many power plants down the pipeline. The world's largest combined cycle power plant is currently being built in Beni Suef by Siemens (one of three contracted plants): http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1812595

Quote:
Originally Posted by minymina View Post
Israel already has Nukes. I don't necessarily think it has anything to do with Egypt's plan to build a civilian power plant.
It does have nukes but it doesn't have any nuclear power plants. Although I think their plans have more to do with the fact that their reliance on gas caused major economic losses after the Arab Spring when they couldn't secure gas.

“What one can imagine always surpasses what one can see, because of the scope of the imagination, except Cairo because it surpasses anything one can imagine."
- Ibn Khaldun

Azmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 02:09 PM   #185
minymina

Quote:
It does have nukes but it doesn't have any nuclear power plants. Although I think their plans have more to do with the fact that their reliance on gas caused major economic losses after the Arab Spring when they couldn't secure gas.
My point was they don't need a plant to have nukes. Even if the plant is in response to rising regional nuclear powers, it's over Iran not Egypt.

"@ariannahuff is unattractive both inside and out. I fully understand why her former husband left her for a man, he made a good decision" - Donald J. Trump‏
Old May 30th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #186
love construction

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Well my impression is the basically they dont want us to have a better nuclear program than the one they have. They are doing this to maintain there edge.
love construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 08:58 PM   #187
minymina

Quote:
Originally Posted by love construction View Post
Well my impression is the basically they dont want us to have a better nuclear program than the one they have. They are doing this to maintain there edge.
If anything, they would be supportive of an Egyptian nuclear program to combat Iran.

Old December 11th, 2016, 04:36 PM   #188
Azmat

Dabaa nuclear power plant agreement to be concluded by end of 2016: Rosatom CEO - LINK

The Rosatom State Atomic Energy Corporation’s chief executive officer Alexei Likhachev said the Russian company expects the agreement to construct a nuclear power plant in Dabaa, Matrouh governorate to be concluded by the end of 2016.

The agreement included the signing four contracts for the engineering, supply, operation, and maintenance of the power plant for a period of 10 years. It also includes the supply of fuel for 60 years. The Dabaa nuclear power plant will consist of four power units, each with 1200MW capacity and with a total capacity of 4800MW.

“We expect to finalise the agreement with Egypt by the end of this year,” Likhachev said.

In November it was announced that Egypt will carry out research by Egypt’s Nuclear Power Plant Authority (NPPA) to choose a site for a second nuclear power plant on the Mediterranean coast.

“What one can imagine always surpasses what one can see, because of the scope of the imagination, except Cairo because it surpasses anything one can imagine."
- Ibn Khaldun

JustWatch liked this post
Old January 15th, 2017, 06:22 PM   #189
minymina

Egypt, Russia Agree One of Key Contracts on Dabaa NPP Construction

Article

Azmat liked this post
Old February 20th, 2017, 09:06 PM   #190
Azmat

Dabaa prepares to receive nuclear power plant - READ MORE

Dabaa City in Matrouh governorate is currently witnessing a cultural shift after the announcement of the start of implementation of the nuclear power plant project on a part of its territory. A number of development projects are currently being inaugurated for the advancement of the city and the providence of service for the power plant project.

[...]

Governor of Matrouh Alaa Abu Zeid said that Dabaa entered into the strategic development of the governorate in order to keep pace with the nuclear power plant project, through development projects that include a new residential city, Dabaa-Rod El-Farag axis, a sewage project, the nuclear school, El Alamein-Natrun Valley axis, and Dabaa hospital. It is also planned to conduct urbanisation projects in the South Dabaa area.

[...]

- Ibn Khaldun

Old April 23rd, 2017, 02:35 PM   #191
Azmat

Egypt to issue new law on construction of nuclear power stations soon - LINK
Egypt energy and environment committee of Egypt's parliament will discuss Wednesday a new law aimed at regulating the construction of nuclear power stations in the country.

The 19-article draft law, which was revised by the State Council's department of legislation, was sent by the cabinet to parliament Saturday.

[...]

The delegation from the energy and environment committee, headed by El-Sewedi, held talks with Russia's state-owned nuclear energy giant Rosatom, the company that will construct Egypt's first nuclear power station at El-Dabaa, 130 kilometres northwest of Cairo.

[...]

El-Sewedi told reporters that the draft law aims at creating "the executive authority on the supervision of the construction of nuclear power station projects."

[...]

"The new executive authority, which will be affiliated to the Ministry of Electricity and Energy, is to be exclusively tasked with supervising the construction of nuclear power stations in terms of selecting contractors, reviewing the progress of construction works, the experimental operation of these projects and issuing firsthand reports on them," said the draft law's explanatory note.

- Ibn Khaldun

Old December 8th, 2017, 10:16 AM   #192
minymina

Putin to visit Egypt on Monday, discuss Middle East with el-Sisi – Kremlin
https://www.rt.com/newsline/412331-p...pt-visit-sisi/

Azmat liked this post
Old December 9th, 2017, 12:32 AM   #193
Azmat

I hope they'll be concluding the deal during this visit, and maybe announce the resumption of flights.

- Ibn Khaldun

Old December 9th, 2017, 01:28 AM   #194
minymina

Quote:
I hope they'll be concluding the deal during this visit, and maybe announce the resumption of flights.
More likely, he's visiting Egypt for the opening ceremony. They're also signing a deal that would see Russia and Egypt use each others military airbases.

Old December 9th, 2017, 01:49 AM   #195
Azmat

Quote:
More likely, he's visiting Egypt for the opening ceremony. They're also signing a deal that would see Russia and Egypt use each others military airbases.
You mean the cornerstone ceremony? I don't think they've built anything yet. But I do remember reading that the deal has been signed already.

- Ibn Khaldun

Old December 9th, 2017, 01:51 AM   #196
minymina

Quote:
You mean the cornerstone ceremony? I don't think they've built anything yet. But I do remember reading that the deal has been signed already.
Don't they usually have a ceremony for the first dig?

Old December 9th, 2017, 02:13 AM   #197
Azmat

Quote:
Don't they usually have a ceremony for the first dig?
Yeah, I thought you meant opening ceremony for the structure of the plant. I think there's already a facility at the location that they will expand on. When we were driving in Sidi Abdel Rahman this summer I noticed that they've built a massive wall that blocks off view of the ocean from the Matrouh Rd., it goes on for several kilometers and is probably around 10 meters high. I wonder if that has anything to do with the plant, it's brand new. They might be playing it safe by having the entire complex inside a walled compound.

- Ibn Khaldun

Old December 11th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #198
bidonVI

Likes (Received): 1306

By:www.ft.com
Russia and Egypt to sign nuclear power plant deal
Quote:
Russia and Egypt will on Monday sign an agreement for state-owned Rosatom to build a $21bn nuclear power plant in the north African country.

Egypt’s president Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said the two countries would sign the agreement as part of a visit by his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin to the country on Monday, in comments reported by the Kremlin’s news service.

“I am pleased to note that our economic ties are developing at a fairly high rate. We really have a lot of good projects ahead [including] the nuclear power plant,” Mr Putin said.

The Dabaa nuclear plant, with four reactor units and capacity of 5 gigawatts, is planned to be completed by 2029 at a total financing cost of $21bn, said Alexei Likhachyov, chairman of Russia’s state-owned nuclear operator Rosatom.

Moscow and Cairo in 2015 agreed to the nuclear plant initiative, including a loan from Russia.

Mr Likhachyov on Monday said that the Russian loan is expected to provide 85 per cent of the funding, while Egypt will provide the remainder. The company, which is talks to build more nuclear power plants in the world than any of its western rivals, has agreed to service the plant’s reactors for 60 years.

Azmat, ZmeyGorynych liked this post
bidonVI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 12:25 AM   #199
Azmat

Construction of first nuclear reactor of Dabaa station to start after Christmas holidays - LINK

Work with establishing Egypt’s first nuclear reactor in the Dabaa nuclear power plant will start after Russian experts return to Egypt after Christmas holidays, informed sources told Al-Masry Al-Youm on Tuesday.

Officials at Egypt’s Nuclear Power Plants Authority (NPPA) held a meeting on Tuesday with representatives of Russia’s state-owned nuclear firm Rosatom to discuss ways to initiate the construction of the first nuclear reactors.

[...]

Russian news agency Sputnik said that Rosatom will complete the first unit of the station which will be operational by 2026.

[...]

In Monday’s meeting in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin, Egypt and Russia signed a contract which commences the construction of the Dabaa nuclear power plant in Marsa Matrouh.

[...]

- Ibn Khaldun

bidonVI, ZmeyGorynych liked this post
Old December 17th, 2017, 09:20 PM   #200
minymina

Dabaa nuclear plant, SCZone: ambitions, plans ahead

Dabaa plant expected to provide over 20,000 jobs during construction period, 4,000 permanent jobs post-operation - Source

ZmeyGorynych, Azmat liked this post

Tags
مصر, egypt