SkyscraperCity Forum banner

TORONTO | Subway & Light Rail

780K views 3K replies 305 participants last post by  hkskyline 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
See less See more
#8 ·
Those Bombardier T-1's are the best money can buy...ultra heavy duty workhorses. I think they are gorgeous...just like having a restaurant quality stainless range in your house, instead of some consumer crap made to look professional.

And you guys like those little 1970's era RT pieces of crap???????

Don't tell me...you are the kind of people who like taking those little japanese shitboxes and filling them up with aftermarket crap...spoilers and neon lights underneath...rendering an already bad looking car a complete joke??? LOL!!!

And as usual, very bad pictures. Maybe it should be renamed..."subway yards" ?

KGB

G
#9 ·
KGB said:
Don't tell me...you are the kind of people who like taking those little japanese shitboxes and filling them up with aftermarket crap...spoilers and neon lights underneath...rendering an already bad looking car a complete joke??? LOL!!!

KGB

"Japanese shitboxes"? If you're referring to Civics, Corollas, etc. those arguably are the best quality cars you can buy in their class.

#14 ·
"Nothing wrong with spicing it up like the red and white ones, just for a more pleasant appearance..."

Why the hell would you want to paint stainless steel and aluminum? Not only is it more practical, they look much slicker that way. You guys seem to have very tacky taste...this is the real world...not a fuking world's fair or Disney Land.

And these are not old...those little ICTS RT "toys" are what's old...they were designed in the 70's and delivered to the TTC in 1985. Thise T-1's are brand new (well, they began arriving in like 1998 onwards).

The TTC had Bombardier custom make those T-1's...they are state of the art, very roomy and VERY heavy duty...it's no wonder you think they look like New York trains....New York loved them so much they bought them too.

KGB

#19 ·
I take some of my words back. After looking at pics on nycsubway.org, I do agree, that for the most part, they look okay. However, something needs to be done to their cabs. It would be nice it the face of the cab was somehow smoother.

You have to realize that transportation has to appeal to the average user, and that "sleekness" and "smoothness" is a part of appeal today.

Also, a few red stripes couldn't hurt, although I know how hard it is to paint aluminum.

#20 ·
"You have to realize that transportation has to appeal to the average user, and that "sleekness" and "smoothness" is a part of appeal today."

Well...that's just the point...these things actually look good...the TTC could have just as easily had them made to look like Lamborghinis if they wanted to. But why would they do that? People have better taste here I guess....the rest of you can have an orgasm over your tacky toys if you like....we'll stick with professional.

If you are going to open a restaurant...do you buy the big pro range...or an Easy-Bake oven?

"The RT cars are indeed a piece of shite, no idea how anyone can like them."

Well, their linear induction motors and driverless automation was a novelty back in the day I guess (and this was a compromise from the mag lev technology the Ontario government was working on). You should check out what some of the Vancouverite forumers have to say about it (they have the excact same thing)...they are calling it "the most advanced transit system in the world" LOL!!!

KGB

#1,002 ·
"You have to realize that transportation has to appeal to the average user, and that "sleekness" and "smoothness" is a part of appeal today."

Well...that's just the point...these things actually look good...the TTC could have just as easily had them made to look like Lamborghinis if they wanted to. But why would they do that? People have better taste here I guess....the rest of you can have an orgasm over your tacky toys if you like....we'll stick with professional.

If you are going to open a restaurant...do you buy the big pro range...or an Easy-Bake oven?

KGB
Or you could go with the best that both looks good and functions perfectly...

#21 ·
Looks? People care about Looks of Subway Cabs?

What the hell is the point of making a subway cab look good when 90% of the time it's UNDERGROUND! Who's gonna care? The people who ride it? I think they have better things to do like GET TO WORK or SCHOOL then to view a paint job of a subway car!

I like these cabs; they look solid!

#23 ·
Appearance isn't the biggest factor in public transport usage, but with attractive appearance--whatever that may be for a given region in the world--more people would consider using public transportation utilities.

So if the people in Toronto feel that their trains look nice, then that's all that matters to Toronto. Post pictures of them in this international forum, though, and one should expect to get a mixed bag of opinions.

#362 ·
So if the people in Toronto feel that their trains look nice, then that's all that matters to Toronto. Post pictures of them in this international forum, though, and one should expect to get a mixed bag of opinions.
Like alot of Toronto, the subway cars are as bland as possible, but do the job required very well. If you gave Toronto a choice between 4 designs, I guarantee you Toronto will choose the most boring, square design because the others will be considered plain wacky. It's the ultra conservative, stubbornly rigid, Scottish roots of this city at play.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'd rather have an efficient system than a good looking one. I hate settling, but who has a choice. What I can't accept is the subway stations. They are simply atrocious. They are the most depressingly dreary, cramped, poorly designed, dingy, bland, uninspiring, ugly, uninviting places I could possibly have dreamt up in my worst nightmare. You want to get out of there as quickly as possible. A subway could offer such dramatic and amazing architectual features due to it being buried. We get a concrete worm hole.

Alot of Torontonians are going to slag me for what I've said, but you don't get better, unless you demand it.

G
#25 ·
KGB said:
I'm talking about those little cars people buy and put those little coffee can looking things on their tailpipes to pretend it sounds like a Ferrari.

Anyway, that's not really important....I'm talking about people's cheezy taste.

KGB

Usually Civics...those are great cars. Many of the ground effects and customizations you can get are indeed cheesy but there is some nice stuff out there too.

G
#26 ·
KGB said:

KGB

They wouldn't do it because of cost. I personally like our subway trains, I think they look great, but I don't think exterior aesthetics were at the top of the priority list.

I wish they'd go red like the old Rockets. As a kid I remember they'd run one once in a while...those were great.