SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Railway crossings at lines with third rail

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Tubeman 
#1 ·
On some ( all?) railway crossings on lines with third rail ( how many such rail road crossings exist in UK?), one can see some wooden boards on the rail and the space between the rails ( see pictures http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/resources/images/3535338.jpg and http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/10/14/article-0-06CD55DE000005DC-255_634x312.jpg ).
What is the designation of these objects, which I believe is preventing people keeping away from the third rail. Are these objects installed at all railway crossings with third rail in the UK? Is it planned to replace such level crossings by overpasses or underpasses? Are railways with third rails completely fenced-in?

#3 ·
Yeah - pretty sure they're just a type of 'cattle grid' to try and stop animals (and people) wandering up the line instead of just going straight across it.

From what I understand, the current policy on level crossings is that generally no new ones will be approved unless there is a very very strong case for it but existing ones will only be removed as part of another development on the route (ie if the road is being upgraded anyway for another reason or if there's a new development being built along the track that will expect to increase footfall on a footpath level crossing).

#5 ·
In Germany there will be also no new level crossings built and there is also no master plan to replace them by undercrossings or overcrossings. Something like the mentioned cattle grids, I never saw.
In Germany only few railway systems use third rail. These are:
* Berlin S-Bahn
* Hamburg S-Bahn
* Berlin U-Bahn
* Hamburg U-Bahn
* Munich U-Bahn
* Nuremburg U-Bahn

Level crossings exist just only at Hamburg S-Bahn and Berlin S-Bahn.

#6 ·
They are just called anti-trespass guards. AFAIAA there are no plans to systematically replace level crossings specifically in third rail areas just because of the proximity to the third rail. It is more likely that excess barrier down time would lead to a crossing being replaced with a bridge.

Fencing of the third rail area varies dependent on location. Urban areas seem to be far better fenced than the more rural areas. As you get away from builtup areas the third rail network just has pretty normal stock proof fencing depending on what is running around in the adjacent fields...

Usually, when Network Rail PR mentions plans to close level crossings, they are on about user worked crossings with pedestrian or vehicle gates, the ones which are the greatest hazard to the public.

#8 ·
Growing up in the former 'Southern Region', I've seen scores of these. The 3rd Rail ends shortly before the crossing and starts again shortly after, resulting in an non-electrified gap. Trains cross them with a mix of momentum and traction from other power cars (the southern region is almost entirely multiple units).

Long story short, you wont step on a 3rd Rail at a level crossing, because there wont be one.

#9 · (Edited)
Here in Barnes you have the pleasure of 2 a stone's throw apart:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4...XyQTBrba9Wpu7XP-oA8Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

You've got an identical set-up at Bollo lane in Acton, but the further one isn't electrified anymore (but was 4th rail DC once upon a time):

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4...378&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Bear in mind that all 3rd / 4th rail systems have lengthy 'rail gaps' in order to subdivide into traction current sections that can each be switched off in isolation. They're typically at least a car's length because EMU motor cars can bridge any traction current rail gap of less than 1 car's length as collection shoes on each bogie certainly used to be connected to one another. In short, a train could liven up a 'dead' section of track and potentially electrocute anyone working on the 'dead' section in theory. Modern EMUs may be less crude, but rail sectionalisation gaps remain at least a car's length (i.e. 20m+).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.