SkyscraperCity Forum banner

London Heathrow Airport | Terminal 2

397K views 905 replies 177 participants last post by  Glom 
#1 · (Edited)
Edited with latest images...

Original post...
Monkey said:
I have just prepared this image of Heathrow East from the PDF file in JGG's signature. It's our first large rendering of Norman Foster's 30 million pax capacity Heathrow East project that will hopefully replace terminals 1 and 2 by 2011. My apologies for offering it in two halves. Photobucket won't allow me to post such a large single image:

Heathrow East will accommodate 30 million passengers per year and is located at the eastern end of the airport opposite the new Terminal 5 currently under construction:

See less See more
#881 ·
It depends on the nationality of the individual making the journey.

Details here: https://www.gov.uk/transit-visa

Exemptions

You don’t need a visa if you have one of the following:
##a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA (this can be used for travel to any country)
##a residence permit issued by Australia or New Zealand
##you have a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland
##a resident permit issued by Canada after 28 June 2002
##a uniform format category D visa for entry into a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
##an Irish biometric visa
##a Schengen Approved Destination Scheme (ADS) group tourism visa where the holder is travelling to to the Schengen country that issued the visa
##a flight ticket from the Schengen area, if you can prove that you entered the Schengen area in the previous 30 days on the basis of a valid Schengen ADS visa
##a valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa issued by the USA (a wet-ink stamp version will not be accepted)
##a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
##an expired USA I-551 Permanent Residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998, with a valid I-797 letter authorising extension
##a valid standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B issued by the USA (attached to a sealed brown envelope)

All visas and residence permits must be valid.

#884 ·
This is going to sound disingenuous, but one of the most interesting aspects is the parking deck: using the top deck for passenger drop-off/ pick-up - and buses, I presume, is pretty clever (0:25).

Of course, the rest is nice, but that element stuck out. I'm sure it must not be a fresh idea, but it's not something I've noticed, before. A very efficient use of space, really.

#887 ·
What are the chances of retiring Terminal 4 as a passenger terminal at some point in the future? It's imperfect in so many ways - from an aircraft point of view any that arrive at/leave from 09L/27R need to cross 09R/27L, from a transfer point of view it's out on a limb and from a transport point of view it's left us with a complicated service pattern on the Piccadilly line and Heathrow Connect/Express. Could its capacity be replaced by the mother of all toast racks?

#889 ·
What are the chances of retiring Terminal 4 as a passenger terminal at some point in the future? ....
I have a feeling it's a long way down the list at the moment.
If the new runway is given the go ahead, I suspect the priorities will be to finally demolish the old T1 (now closed) and expanding T2 - i.e. phase 2 (or whatever its new title will be); enabling the replacement of T3 and expansion of the central "toast rack" layout.
If built, the new runway will also bring with it, a new T6, currently pencilled in to mirror T5, facing west, with remote piers located on the north side.

If all that is done, then T4 may well be relegated to lower importance, or eventually retired.

If the new runway is not given the go ahead. I think it likely that T4 will be operational for a long time to come.

#894 ·
Hope this is an OK place to post this - couldn't find anywhere more appropriate, and didn't feel it warranted a new post!

The owners of Heathrow are auctioning off the entire contents of terminal 1 - baggage systems, seating, plant, body scanners, air bridges - the lot.

Nothing all that amazing about that - but there are a good number of photos from within the unused terminal, and thought they'd be of interest to some people.

Slightly surprised they couldn't find a use for the e-Passport gates etc - they look fairly new, and bound to be in demand in the future.

http://cagp.com/events/heathrow-airport-terminal-1/

#895 ·
Hope this is an OK place to post this - couldn't find anywhere more appropriate, and didn't feel it warranted a new post!

The owners of Heathrow are auctioning off the entire contents of terminal 1 - baggage systems, seating, plant, body scanners, air bridges - the lot.

Nothing all that amazing about that - but there are a good number of photos from within the unused terminal, and thought they'd be of interest to some people.

Slightly surprised they couldn't find a use for the e-Passport gates etc - they look fairly new, and bound to be in demand in the future.

http://cagp.com/events/heathrow-airport-terminal-1/

Very interesting, thanks for posting! I wonder how many items in that list will end up going abroad? Not sure how useful those Euro piers will be, unless the sturdy girders that hold them up come as part of the deal.

Being serious, it is good to see these items aren't just getting trashed - I guess HAL has got a fair bit of time to dispose of them before the bulldozers move in.

#896 · (Edited)
There's a picture of a nude-o-vision machine. They're auctioning one of those? Why not just use it elsewhere?

If the baggage system is up for to grabs, does this mean T2 is now independent of T1? I don't believe it was at the beginning and it was with phase 2 where a new baggage system was supposed to be installed.

#899 ·
I think if a decision is ever made to close Heathrow Terminal 4, there is always the possibility of expanding Heathrow's cargo terminal area. Plus, after Terminal 6 and Runway 3 open, could Terminal 4 and Terminal 6 realistically be in operation at the same time? User: bench_mark_2 has already stated that it is unrealistic on post #892. Plus, there is a Hilton Hotel in front of Terminal 4; could it end up demolished after Terminal 4 is retired?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.