SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Stratford Station | Stratford

95K views 187 replies 62 participants last post by  gottago 
#1 ·
There was a thread somewhere around about this, but dunno where its gone.

These are images of the expanded Stratford Station, parts of the new Stratford City development and the new DLR platforms at Stratford (the multi-triangular structure).

See less See more
#159 · (Edited)
TfL to re-zone Stratford stations

TfL to re-zone Stratford stations

Stratford, Stratford International and Stratford High Street stations will all become part of Zone 2 from January 2016.

Transport for London will re-zone Stratford as part of the Mayor's plans to create a new cultural hub in the Queen Elizabeth Park called "Olympicopolis".

The move into Zone 2/3 will cost Transport for London about £7m annually, but it's hoped Stratford will become more accessible as part of the Olympic legacy.

The Mayor's team is searching for designers to create the so-called 'Olympicopolis' - a new cultural and educational quarter which will feature installments from Sadler's Wells and The Victoria and Albert Museum.

The idea for the new quarter on the Olympic park site is inspired by the achievements of Prince Albert, who used the proceeds of the 1851 Great Exhibition to create ‘Albertopolis’ – the 86 acre site around Exhibition Road in South Kensington.

"Our goal is to create thousands of new jobs whilst driving up the life chances and opportunities of local people to match those enjoyed across the capital. Huge progress is being made with Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park now re-opened and the planned move of the Financial Conduct Authority and Transport for London bringing 5,500 jobs to new offices into area. The launch today of a global hunt for top design talent to create a world class cultural and higher educational quarter on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park will stimulate even further growth."

– THE MAYOR OF LONDON, BORIS JOHNSON

Olympicopolis

From ITV News

#160 ·
The Mayor's team is searching for designers to create the so-called 'Olympicopolis' - a new cultural and educational quarter which will feature installments from Sadler's Wells and The Victoria and Albert Museum.
"Crikey, I feel honoured that London has agreed to the rename to "Borisopolis".

I was merely joking when I humbly proposed the name, and forced it through as Tory Party policy. As King of the World, I naturally think it is a fitting name for my talents and opportunism."

#169 ·
You could fairly easily have fewer but wider platforms in one obvious way. Tunnel the Central Line below (with its own massive platform) but at the same time unfortunately removing its convenient cross-platform interchange.

Bringing it to the surface and down again was probably a great idea at the time, but the two islands should really have been much bigger.

It the Central line wasn't there, the space between the existing westbound Central line and the down electric line could be one massive island, with space for a decent number of escalators and stairs.

#168 · (Edited)
I raised the congestion in the station corridors in relation to the Angel Lane/YHA proposal.

The station is already congested at rush hours/match days with crowd management in place.
On the odd occasion I take the Overground in the afternoon rush hour you get directed down the eastern subway and have to go back to the central subway to get out, ridiculous as the the old station entrance is extant.

The eastern subway is much wider than the central subway and connects to the old station entrance.
The old eastern entrance needs to be re-opened under the proposed Angel Lane/YHA development to release the pressure.

Plan from TFL website.

I made the suggestion to the LLDC, but I'm not holding my breath.

Another option, would it be possible to put escalators straight up to the Westfield bridge or would that clutter up the platforms even more?

#173 ·
I was in Stratford one evening last week and it really did get me thinking. According to Wikipedia, greater than 125mn journeys are made to/from Stratford each year; it is the 6th busiest National Rail station in the UK, 7th busiest London Underground station, and 2nd busiest DLR station. The number of journeys by National Rail, Tube, and DLR at Stratford have all risen over the past five years by 19.3mn, 16.1mn, and 10.5mn respectively. I really do wonder what the passenger forecasts will be once Crossrail goes live, or when the large office, commercial, residential and cultural projects in the surrounding neighbourhoods are completed.

Platforms are narrow and congested, movements are conflicted through confusing claustrophobic subways, some of which don’t reach all the platforms, the station is split in half by the DLR, the northern ticket hall only has one entrance forcing everyone through Westfield, and so on…

Yet with the arrival of Crossrail rapidly approaching, is there really an opportunity for any seismic change to materialise? I’m honestly surprised that the station copes with current volumes despite the piecemeal expansions.

Even if it was feasible to rebuild the station, would it prove effective to build a large raft across the station like at Reading, to sink the station below street level in a giant trench, or perhaps a simpler solution would be to simply relocate the station to the south-west? The large Carpenters Estate is up for development and could present an opportunity to construct a modern station in the near vicinity with more numerous wider platforms that would be accessible by a very large concourse similar to that at London Bridge.

Regardless of whether such a seismic approach to the long-term capabilities of Stratford may be feasible (over-station development must certainly be a big incentive), would it be possible to undertake such a herculean task without massive incurring disruption? Perhaps it would only be possible to rebuild the station if it was done in parallel and/or preceded by other significant developments as part of a holistic approach to boost development potential across the wider north-east London area, as well as overhauling connectivity and capacity for several million people. A few thoughts:
- Divert the Central line between Leyton and Mile End into a new tunnel with potential new stations at the Olympic Village, and another in the Old Ford area. Ability to increase platform widths at Stratford. Improved transport accessibility north and west of Stratford.
- Extend the Jubilee Line north taking over the line to Chingford, including a new interchange with the Central line in the Olympic Village. Improved capacity to Chingford through higher frequencies. Boost connectivity to Stratford, Canary Wharf and the Docklands. Potential for faster journey times to the City and West End.
- Extend the Stratford International DLR line to Leyton. Increased connectivity.
- Increase the number of tracks from Shenfield to Stratford to six, by placing the intercity services into a tunnel between Harold Wood and Stratford. Enable intensified services at all surface stations heading into London. Development opportunities in Essex and beyond created by increased capacity and faster journeys.

#174 ·
#175 ·
A similar principle was employed in the recent Reading station rebuild. If the two central line tracks were buried deep down there would be ample room to expand the four Great Eastern line platforms, maybe even add a third island platform for Crossrail/GE suburban services.. That would segregate the passenger flows nicely.

From get reading.co.uk

#177 ·
Usually access the high level DLR from the central line platform, but decided to follow the signs this week from the DLR back to the Overground, which takes you to the middle corridor, rather than the west. That's even worse; really narrow and crowded. meanwhile the eastern corridor is hardly used. I appreciate that the DLR stops the space being opened up between the western and central corridor (well, until it's dropped) but why not open up the space between the central and eastern corridor.

So we have permission granted for the Carpenters Estate entrance and it's assumed the old subway will be brought back to life with an entrance to the eastern corridor. Didnt someone on here mention about a west entrance for the northern ticket hall?

#178 · (Edited)
^^
For those forumers not familiar with the station this is the subway layout at present.
Every evening the steps from the Overground terminus are closed and passengers are directed to the East and West subways.

For E15 residents you have to the East subway walk back to the central subway, push through the mayhem in the central corridor and when you get to the ticket hall cross against the stream of people coming in the entrance to get out.

If you take the West subway you have to cross back by going up and down the stairs/escalators to the main entrance (the Gibbins Road will help with this).

They really need to open the old eastern entrance (bottom left hand corner) and incorporate it into the proposed Youth Hostel for E15 residents and free up the central subway for passengers making interchanges.

I've taken to walking down the eastern subway up to the Central Line waiting for a train and going straight through the carriage and out the upper entrance and down the steps to avoid the central corridor.

#179 ·
I'm a Yorkshire lad. But I know London quite well - I lived in East London for more than 10 years before moving up north. I went to Stratford yesterday night. I wish I hadn't.

It's a victim of its own success. The overcrowding is overwhelming. Something needs to be done about it. I expect that level of footfall in Oxford Circus, not an obscure London town in Zone 3.

#180 · (Edited)
It was the sixth busiest in the country between April 2015 - March 2016 and I would expect it'll be 5th or even 4th when the latest date is reported in December. The following will all contribute to increasing flows:

*Redevelopment of the Stratford Centre.

*15,000 sqm more shops in Westfield replacing underground car park

*Cherry Park development

*International Quarter ongoing development

*Carpenter estate redevelopment

*UCL east

*"Olympicopolis"

They have to act to prevent a disaster. The following at the very least is necessary:

1. Drop the DLR such that the ground floor concourse is no longer cut in two

2. New entrances to east corridor, carpenters estate and western entrance to northern ticket hall.

3. Digging out between corridors to create a ground floor concourse underneath the east-west rail lines.

4. De-clutter the platforms

#182 ·
It seems TfL shared my concerns.

Subject: YHA and Office Block, Great Eastern Road, Stratford (16/000524/FUL)
Meeting date: 20 December 2016
Report to: Planning Decisions Committee
Report of: Anne Ogundiya, Senior Planning Development Manager

9.18. TfL (Stratford Regional Station): On the basis of the information submitted to date TfL consider that the proposed development would increase the congestion on the station and we would expect development to be appropriately mitigated.

9.19. TfL currently considers that as well as addressing the impact of the development there could be benefits to the applicant as prospective owner for the success and promotion of their site by incorporating a new station entrance which would then connect to the eastern subway. This provision of a new entrance within the development would become part of the evacuation strategy for the station and could therefore function instead of a dedicated emergency escape such as the one currently included in the proposals. The feasibility of a new station entrance should be explored as soon as possible.

9.20. Applicant response: The impacts of the proposed development on Stratford Station are negligible, particularly when considered in relation to the extant planning permission for the site. To suggest that these imperceptible impacts warrant mitigation justifying a new station entrance is both unsubstantiated and unreasonable. This suggestion is not supported in any planning policy and should not be given any material weight or delay determination.

9.21. TfL (Emergency Access) - With regard to the proposals for the existing escape access from the station, it has not yet been proven that the design shown within the application meets the escape requirements. This needs to be resolved prior to
construction.

So it looks as though Westfield couldn't give a fig about passenger safety. Will the LLDC do the right thing?

#183 · (Edited)
Planning permission approved:
Angel Lane, Westfield, Zone 1, London, E15 1BB
Demolition of the existing British Transport Police building, together with the construction of a new temporary station escape ramp and associated works.

Interesting consultation response from TfL.

Re: Angel Lane Zone 1 Station Escape Ramp and associated works -
TfL’s initial comments:

I write following notification of this proposal on 5 July 2017. The application seeks full permission for demolition of the existing British Transport Police building, together with the construction of a new station escape ramp and associated works. This is associated with application 16/00524/FUL for the redevelopment of the site for a Youth Hostel (YHA) and office building.

London Underground Infrastructure Protection have responded separately on 14 July.

Site and Surroundings:
The site is located off the Great Eastern Road part of the Stratford Gyratory. This road and High Street, Angel Lane, Romford Road and West Ham Lane, which connect to the gyratory, are part of the Strategic Road Network (SRN). The nearest section of the Transport for London Road Network (TLRN) is the A12 Blackwall Tunnel Northern Approach Road, located about 1.5km away. Stratford station is adjacent to the site, and provides access to London Underground services on the Jubilee and Central lines, two Docklands Light Railway (DLR) branches, London Overground and National Rail services. The westbound Central line emerges into the open on the northern boundary of the site. Bus and coach services stop at the bus station outside the railway station and at bus stops along Great Eastern Road. Immediately to the south of the site on Great Eastern Road there is also a taxi rank, kiss and ride area and a stop (L) used for National Express and Stansted Airport coach services. It is estimated that the site records the highest public transport accessibility level (PTAL) of 6b, on a scale of 1-6.

Pre-application engagement:
There has been engagement with London Underground, Network Rail, the applicant and LLDC regarding the proposals within application 16/00524 for the creation of a permanent emergency escape which is designed in such a way that it could be used for a new station entrance. There is ongoing work including Legion modelling and an Outcome Definition Study which will identify potential options to mitigate the heavy congestion suffered by the station – a situation that is forecast to get worse as further development schemes come forward.

Design and Station Emergency Escape:
An emergency escape will need to be available in this location at all times during construction of this and the future phases of the proposed permanent development, to demonstrate that a robust evacuation plan is in place. It is understood that the applicant has completed the consultation procedures required to satisfy the Office of Rail and Road (ORR) conditions of land disposal to the applicant regarding the site’s emergency escape.

The drawings in this submitted application reflect the discussions for the provision of a temporary ramp in a location connecting to the existing station assets and which would allow the future construction of a permanent emergency escape / future entrance at the eastern side of Phase 2 as part of the office development as set out in application 16/00524/FUL. This will require the relocation of the taxi rank, which is also set out in application 16/0000524/FUL.

A Construction Management Plan (CMP) should be prepared and secured by condition for approval prior to the commencement of construction upon the site. The CMP should set out matters including the impacts and numbers of construction vehicles needed during the build and how this may affect the construction and plans for the phasing by Newham Council of the Stratford gyratory scheme. The views of Network Rail and Newham Council (as highway authority) will also need to be taken into account.

Summary:
In summary, the application is supported, subject to confirming construction matters and phasing and any rail / property approvals or issues which others may raise. We are very keen to work with the applicant, Network Rail and LLDC to enable this escape ramp to be constructed to enable the development of the youth hostel.

I trust this provides you with an understanding of TfL’s current position on this application. We will be very pleased to discuss this further and work with you, Newham and the applicant to assess if any further conditions need to be secured to determine this application. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any queries.

#184 ·
From "Beyond HS2" by Greengate 21

The known and unsolved capacity constraints on both the Great Eastern Main
Line (precluding the sought-after speed-up of Norwich services through the day)
and on the West Anglia line (meaning slow journeys to/from Stansted Airport and
Cambridge) can be overcome, but not by the relatively modest level of adaptations
to the existing lines considered in studies to date. Instead, consideration needs to
be given to a new approach that would maximise the benefits of new high-speed
line construction. Like HS2, this would need to ‘plug into’ the existing rail network
and offer a bypass to its most critically over-stretched line segments. Unlike HS2
(under current plans) it could offer a direct interchange with HS1.

A high-speed line could be built, for example, along the M11 corridor from Stratford
initially in tunnel, and branching beyond Stansted Airport to link the Great Eastern
and West Anglia Main Lines. London terminus points could be at Stratford, or
Canary Wharf (from which a cross-London route southwards for high-speed trains
could be fashioned) or Liverpool Street (but the approach and station facilities here
would be expensive). Stratford has excellent onward connections (enhanced further
by the Elizabeth Line) and there is scope for ‘place-making’ around a new expanded
station as has been done at Kings Cross/St Pancras.

Such a link – illustrated in Figure 8.2 – would offer a rich set of benefits:
» A new faster route from Cambridge to London;
» Better access for Stansted Airport, with a fast (target: 15-minute) rail
link to London and much improved direct connectivity to the airport
from across East Anglia;
» Capacity relief to the Great Eastern Main Line, with a faster route via
Stansted Airport for London trains from Norfolk and Suffolk, and the
scope to intensify services from north Essex into the capital. A journey
time of 25 mins – nearly halving times from Colchester to a new
London terminus at Stratford would be feasible; ‘Norwich in 90’ would
be readily achievable through the day;
» Released capacity to allow service expansion along the Lea Valley and
support its associated development. This would support Crossrail 2 in
due course and enable its operation to be segregated from the longer
distance national rail network;
» A new cross-country axis between the North/Midlands-CambridgeStansted-Colchester-Ipswich;
» The capacity released in the Lea Valley could also potentially be used
for freight from Tilbury/Thames Gateway (although this would need
a new junction at Tottenham Hale), and/or there might be scope for
a strategic freight interchange and associated railfreight flows. This
might allow the southern end of the East Coast Main Line to be freed
of freight;
» If later extended north of Cambridge to Peterborough (either by line of
route upgrade or further new build), provide capacity relief to the East
Coast Main Line and potentially (after 2040) form the southern end of
a second north-south high-speed line;
» Act as a complement to the Felixstowe to Nuneaton freight route and
a plausible extension to East-West Rail

http://www.greengauge21.net/wp-content/uploads/Beyond_HS2WEB.pdf

#188 ·
Yes this is something I’ve always thought would be a decent way of reducing the passenger flow into the main station. Stratford is a difficult station in its current guise but there’s a lot of “easy” fixes (or at least not massively major fixes) that could have been implemented some time ago to help plaster over some of the issues. Work hasn’t even started on the Carpenter’s entrance. It’s going to be many years before the rebuild but it desperately needs some action now, especially as everything opens up again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.