SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Manchester Airport | Terminal 2 Redevelopment

337K views 405 replies 54 participants last post by  Uomo Senza Nome 
#1 ·
I did a search and couldn't find anything, but I feel with dedicated threads here to other airport expansions, this topic also merits it's own thread.

From 18th April, Manchester Airports terminal 2 will be going through a major redevelopment.

This will change the physical size and layout of the terminal, and will bring in key features like:

-Multiple A380 contact stands

-US pre clearance facilities

-More aircraft contact stands

-double the size of the main body of the terminal area.

As said, work starts on 18th April, with the fencing off of many areas to begin the construction work, which will involve multiple tower cranes and mobile cranes.

Vegetation removal and utilities are already well advanced, so, good way to kick off the thread.

Images will follow in the next posts, and of course, others are free to add in.

See less See more
#157 · (Edited)
Following on from the update by egcc on 14th November, here are my photos from that day - including the first tower crane being erected.

The old west pier is being demolished

The first part of the new Link/Connector being erected. This will link the terminal extension to the new Pier 1

View down the apron front of T2 with Pier 1 starting to show to the left

The far end of Pier 1, viewed from T1 multi-storey car park

The mid-section of Pier 1

Tower crane #1 being erected - just 5 more to go....

Pier 1 steel work being erected

#158 · (Edited)
We now move on to 8th January

We now move on to 8th January

Pier 1 viewed from T1 multi-story car park

Pier 1 -note, behind the blast fence at the end of Taxiway D can be seen one of the 'Nodes'. These will link the pier to the airbridges.

The full length and size of Pier 1 starts to become apparent in this view

Tower crane #1 on the site of the new multi-storey car park. Off to the left is the Link/Connector corridor and behind that is Pier 1
If the left-hand end of the Link is where the T2 extension will connect then you have an idea of the size of the extension

Piling and other construction work continues. To the right of the mobile crane can be seen the Node for the stand at the extreme end of Pier 1

A closer view of the Link/Connector which, at this time, was still not connected to Pier 1

A rather obscured view of the Node nearest to Melbourne Ave (Pier 1 is to the left)

View down the length of the Link/Connector looking towards T2

West side of Pier 1 with 4 of the 6 Nodes visible

The far end of Pier 1 (taken from Staff West car park). Off to the right is another Node

My final shot for this date was through rather obtrusive fencing, but looking down the west side (again) of Pier 1

#159 · (Edited)
We now move forward to 20th February for the next update:-

The end of Pier 1 (now partially clad)and the link bridge down to the end Node

General view from T1 multi-story car park across to Pier 1

View down airside front of T2 to Pier 1

Now across to Terminal 2 and a view down the outside of Pier 1 with 6 Nodes visible

The interior of Pier 1 having some fitting-out done

Detail of cladding on Pier 1

The Node at the extreme end of Pier 1 - with link bridge still on the ground

4 Tower cranes start to make their presence felt beyond Pier 1

The 'right-angle' turn on the Link/Connector - it can be seen coming from the area of T2 and heading off to Pier 1 to the right

The initial steel work for the terminal extension starts to make an appearance beyond the blue crane jib

Detail of the junction of the Link/Connector with Pier 1

Installation of the steel frame around the concrete lift shaft in a Node

General view across to Pier 1

Tower cranes start to dominate the skyline

More detail of the Nodes on the outside (West) of Pier 1

Looking down the landside of the Link/Connector

Steel work for the Terminal 2 extension starts to grow, whilst the new multi-story car park rises in the foreground.

#160 · (Edited)
To bring us up to date these photos were taken yesterday (20th March):-

5 Tower cranes now look down on Terminal 2

Pier1 now becomes more solid as cladding is added

The end of Pier 1 complete with a number of Nodes

Link bridge from the end of Pier 1 to the Node is now beng installed

The 6 Nodes down the outside of Pier 1 - a month since the last udate

Work continues on the Link/Connector

Terminal 2 steel work has almost doubled in area

Another view of the T2 extension

Looking down the Link/Connector, with cladding appearing on the airside

Steel work around the Nodes on the outside of Pier 1

I noticed that some of the Nodes have their link bridges set at an angle

Hard to see from here but the crane count is now 5 plus

Steel work for the Terminal 2 extension is now growing rapidly

Compared with a month ago this has grown considerably

The Tower cranes now total 6 - if you include the one being erected on the right

Link/Connector - for scale see the man on the first floor

Lean Mix concrete being laid for new taxiway Lima

More work on Taxiway Lima at the end of Pier 1

General view of Pier 1 - taken from Staff West

A slightly better, and less cluttered, view of Pier 1

Hopefully my next update will be around mid-April

#162 ·
In my post of 21st March I made reference to work on new Taxiway Lima. Now at the moment that taxiway goes down the side of Pier B.

I understand that later in the year there will be a general redesignation of taxiways names. One of these changes is that the existing taxiway Lima will be renamed Golf and the new taxiway around the end of new Pier 1 will then be named Lima.

I am aware of other potential renamings, however at this stage there is a possibility of other changes and so I will wait until further confirmation before posting further updates on the matter.

#169 ·
Time for another update, courtesy of PlaneTalk to whom full credit is given. Please do not copy these photos to any other forums.

A7 MSCP Slab Install Ongoing

Forecourt Ground Works

Link & Pier Steel to Node Cladding

Link & Pier Internal Works

Link & Pier Roofing Works

Terminal 2 Steelwork Install

Terminal 2 Phase 13 & 12 Level 20 Slab

Quality checking of concrete on new taxiway Lima at the end of Pier 1

#171 ·
Taken on Tuesday 17th April, this is my latest offering for the MAN-TP Project. It is also my last for a couple of weeks due to holidays (yes, I'm taking time off!!).

View from T1 car park across to T2 apron and the new Pier 1

The end of Pier 1

Pier 1 with partial cladding

T2 extension steel work - looking towards the apron

Looking down towards the end of the T2extension

The end of Pier 1 and the link-bridge to the node

View from Staff West car park across the concrete for new taxiway Lima

T2 extension steel work

Another view down the side of the T2 extension

T2 extension steel work

Glazing and cladding on Pier 1

Pier 1 node, with the current terminal in the background

New "Super 7"multi-story car park

The Project Office - such an amazing combination of port-a-cabins

Another view of the side of the T2 extension, with the link corridor on the right and the new car park on the lect

End of Pier 1 with new taxiway Lima concrete in the foreground

Link Corridor looking towards T2, with Pier 1 off to the right

Another general view down the west side of Pier 1 with all 6 nodes visible

T2 "Super 7" multi-story car park

#177 ·
Taken yesterday on my monthly walk-about.

General view, as always, across from the top of T1 multi-storey car park with Pier 1 in the background.

Now to the top level of T2 car park with the new car park growing larger with each day. To the left is part of the T2 extension.

T2 extension is getting wider.

And it now has floors and other structures within it.

There is still room for the extension to gain depth as it does not yet match the old building.

The size the extension is starting to become apparent in this shot.

There is still possibly a little space for the extension to expand to its right as there is apparently a road to run between it and the new car park. In the background can be seen the link connector from Pier 1.

A walk down beyond the car park extension allows this view with the Terminal extension directly in front. To the right is the link connector between Pier 1 and the terminal.

Not a lot has changed since I photographed this view last month. There is however an idea of size when look at the workers on the nearest Node.

Similar to an earlier view, but with a better idea of the length of the link connector.

Looking across from the Staff West car park towards the end of Pier 1, with new taxiway Lima concrete in the foreground.

This was my final photo - before a 'jobsworth' told me that photography was not allowed due to security. This will be taken up in the hope that I will gain official approval for future visits.

#179 ·
This week's updates are courtesy of PlaneTalk. Please do not copy to any other forums.

This Pavement Quality apron will become, if I have read the files correctly, the area where the temporary stands 901 & 903 will be placed.

As well as all of the obvious work taking place, there has been major ongoing work within Terminal 2 to replace/renew the baggage system.

#181 ·
Whilst I commend the speed at which the project is being delivered, it’s obvious corners were cut since the initial proposal.

The original plan was to have essentially an “all glass” exterior including the piers & walkways. Unfortunately this looks somewhat temporary & prefab looking.

Suppose we’ll have to just say why we northerners always design to saying.

It’s better than what we had.

#182 ·
Here is my weekly update of the MANTP project taken from PlaneTalk. Please respect my request not to copy this to any other forums or threads. Thank you.

Of interest is the reference to Taxiway Kilo stopbar. This of course is partial confirmation of my suggested naming of taxiways in my post of 10th June.

Judging by the width of this structure I suspect it may be the interior of the Link Connector between the new terminal and Pier 1.