daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 2nd, 2014, 10:47 PM   #141
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 167

I'm not francophone but I know enough french to generally understand when I see it written or if someone speaks to me fairly slowly lol. Quite a few people in the southern US have ancestry from here due to the expulsion of the acadians.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 24th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #142
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Likes (Received): 14

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

As 2014 comes to an end, I wish a very happy holiday season to all SDMTS fans wherever they may be on the planet.

Tyger-Wyger

Reste trés bien comme un porc-épic!!!

xXFallenXx liked this post
Tyger-Wyger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 11:40 PM   #143
Nexis
Greetings form New Jersey

Likes (Received): 6396

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< For Cityscapes , Nature , Food , Construction projects around the NYC Metro , and infrastructure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Railroads and Urban Transportation in the Northeastern US
Please use the BBCode! when sharing my Photos on this site or others , it gives a link back to my Photo. It is very easy simple and easy to use.
Copy and Paste the code from the Photo onto the forum.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 05:59 PM   #144
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Thanks for the video! I guess the end must be near for the U2 fleet.

I was in SD in September 2013 and spent a lot of time riding the trams and buses. My first U2 ride was on board 1003, which you've included on here. I got on at 12th & I and got off a station or two later southbound when the unit failed in service. Also rode a number of others of all the types. I also bagged rides in 1013, 2013 and 4013 during the year 2013 plus bus 6013 as well.

I'm a number cruncher so I'd have liked some closer views so I know which ones I was looking at. I especially would like to know the identity of the wrapped unit proclaiming the SDMTS to be the best transit operator in the USA.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old February 6th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #145
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Sometimes I wonder about SDMTS, or at least certain parts of it. This really has to do with non-transport services and I'll give a few examples.

The SDMTS website is great at giving out fares, line folders and timetables, how to get from here to there and a lot of other helpful and practical information. It fails badly at self-promotion. Here are two cases in point.

There's a video two posts above this one that shows a U2 tram riding around in a wrap that says that SDMTS was named the BEST transit system in the USA for 2014. This is a remarkable achievement yet there is NOTHING about it on their website! I'm sure this was in all the local media when it happened but not everyone on the planet or even all of the readers of this forum are in touch with the San Diego media. This really should be on PAGE ONE of their site, no kidding. And it should stay there until the 2015 winner in announced. And it should continue to be mentioned in the future. They had a great accomplishment at the national level but seem to be keeping it mostly a secret.

From time to time I visit their site to get transit directions for friends in SD that need to make a one-time trip from here to there. One of my friends needed to go to the Transit Shop downtown. I easily found info about it on their website including the services they provide, opening hours, their address and their phone number. So far, so good. Then I noticed that something rather important was missing from the page. The Transit Shop's own page did not tell people how to get to the Transit Shop on the SDMTS's own buses and trams! That was exactly how my friend, who doesn't drive, had planned to get there. I had to made a transatlantic phone call to get the information from them. The information was gladly given and then I politely asked why this wasn't on their web page as people might find it very useful to know what bus or tram line and stop they needed for the Transit Shop. I got a stunned silence for a couple of seconds and then I was told that the person helping me would report it to their supervisor. That was six months ago and as of last week nothing has changed.

Same thing for the arrival of trams 4058 to 4065. No news. When I was there in September of 2013 it was known that 4057, the last tram on the current order, was about to be delivered. 4056 had recently arrived but had not yet entered service even though it was visible in the garage from Blue Line trams. Now I've heard (on You Tube, not the SDMTS website), that 4058 to 4065 were ordered and have arrived according to fan videos on You Tube. Same with the demise of the U2 fleet. Nothing more than a sentence or two about them being replaced this year. Nothing about 1018 and 1019 being preserved on a museum line elsewhere in California. Nothing about which U2's have already gone to Mendoza and which ones are expected to be next. Maybe SDMTS thinks this is fan-only stuff but at the same time it's telling their public that they are continuing to replace old equipment with new units that are more comfortable to ride, easier to board and are more efficient. This is also part of public image and it seems to get scant attention. Sooner or later the new extension to the Blue Line will be open up to SDSU and that will require even more new trams, something else they can brag about if they choose to.

Anyone else care to comment on this, especially those in the SDMTS service area?

T-W

Last edited by Tyger-Wyger; April 19th, 2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old February 6th, 2015, 07:32 AM   #146
bighomey3000

Likes (Received): 27

Obama's proposed budget provides $150m for the Mid Coast Corridor trolley line. Construction expected late this year

Old March 13th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #147
Nexis

remove

< For Cityscapes , Nature , Food , Construction projects around the NYC Metro , and infrastructure

Please use the BBCode! when sharing my Photos on this site or others , it gives a link back to my Photo. It is very easy simple and easy to use.

dimlys1994, redspork02 liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; March 15th, 2015 at 04:08 AM.
Old March 13th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #148
redspork02

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Great Video man but this is not San Diego......but Los Angeles, CA.

LETS GO DODGERs!!!!!

Tyger-Wyger, geometarkv liked this post
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 09:00 PM   #149
Nexis

Oh , my mistake..

Old April 17th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #150
Nexis

mrsmartman, dimlys1994, jchernin liked this post
Old April 18th, 2015, 05:41 PM   #151
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Thanks for the Sprinter video. I've ridden the same Siemens trains in Germany in the past several times.

Next time I'm out that way I'll make it a point to ride the system end to end.

Old April 19th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #152
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

According to local sources, SDMTS has strongly ramped up enforcement for those holding Compass Cards that are marked S/D/M (Senior/Disabled/Medicare). Having the Compass Card alone isn't enough any longer. You must also have an SDMTS photo ID card as well to prove that the Compass Card belongs to you. It may still be possible to get a Compass Card with your photo on it but this isn't made clear on their website. Compass Cards are available from The Transit Store (the place you get your SDMTS Photo ID card from) or from any of the 42 Albertsons supermarkets in the San Diego area (no photo ID cards).

By the way, the one-time cost for a Compass Card itself and with no value has gone from $2.00 in 2013 to...$7.00 in 2015, a 350% increase.

Old April 27th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #153
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 12731

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=535

San Diego reveals long-term rail vision
Monday, April 27, 2015

PROPOSALS for the expansion of commuter rail and light rail networks in southern California have been revealed as part of San Diego Association of Governments' (Sandag) draft 35-year regional plan, which was released for public consultation on April 24

San Diego Forward incorporates the regional transport plan, sustainable communities strategy and regional comprehensive plan in a single blueprint.

The strategy assumes that the city cannot continue to sprawl and more compact communities are expected to emerge where housing, jobs and services are closer to one another, with residents being given more choice in where they live and how they travel

Tyger-Wyger liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 01:56 AM   #154
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Thanks for the info!

The first extension looks like a ride up from San Ysidro a good ways up the I-805 and I-5 motorway corridors (likely on the west side) up to Sorrento Valley.

The second looks like it will leave Pacific Beach for SDSU and join the existing Green Line from there.

The third is one we've heard before, sort of. It will connect downtown (perhaps starting at the 12th & I Transit Center) to SDSU by way of...BALBOA PARK!!!. It goes north through (or maybe around) the park up to El Cajon Blvd. and then up to College Ave to SDSU. There has been some talk about using PCC trams to do this but I think the PCC's will have to do a short turn in the park or at Park Blvd and El Cajon Blvd, just north of it. They only plan on having 4 or 5 PCC's in service so not enough to operate the line end to end. Perhaps the PCC's will run locally outside the peaks while the red trams provide the bulk of the service.

The fourth looks to be an extension of the present Blue Line extension that will get the Blue Line from San Ysidro all the way up to Sorrento Valley. It may in fact join up to the one at the top of this list somewhere south of Sorrento Valley to reduce construction costs.

The Sprinter extension is going to be interesting. Looks like it will continue through the center of Escondido out to a huge shopping center. The distance will be about 5 miles or 8 kilometers.

And thank you for riding SDMTS today!

Old April 29th, 2015, 02:56 AM   #155
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

GOOD NEWS!!!

From the SDMTS website, click NEWS and then Media Center...

Restored Trolley from 1946 Makes Public Debut on Silver Line
68-Year-Old Presidents Conference Committee Car Honors Balboa Park Centennial

San Diego – A train swap, a community partnership and Balboa Park’s Centennial Celebration all played important roles leading up to the launch of the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System’s (MTS) second vintage streetcar – Balboa Park Centennial Car #530 – on the Silver Line downtown loop.

Officials from MTS, San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E), the San Diego Unified School District and a group of Washington Elementary School third-graders cut the ribbon today marking the beginning of service for Centennial Car #530 – one day shy of a year after its arrival in San Diego. After months of meticulous repairs, creating and replacing worn out sections, painting, and passing a rigid inspection, Centennial Car #530 is now fully operational and ready for service. The restored trolley honors Balboa Park’s Centennial Celebration and will also be a part of a year-long pilot program to educate third grade students about San Diego’s past and present.

“The addition of Centennial Car #530 means MTS can offer more reliable service on the Silver Line so passengers can enjoy a piece of San Diego’s streetcar history,” said MTS Board Chairman Harry Mathis. “This is a fantastic partnership between MTS, SDG&E and the San Diego Unified School District to educate the public about San Diego’s extraordinary past and allowing it to be part of our future.”

The 68-year old streetcar was acquired as part of a trade with United Transportation Corporation (UTC)/Rail Air Sources (RAS) in exchange for two Siemens U-2 light rail vehicles that were phased out of the MTS fleet. San Diego’s U-2s will be displayed at rail museums in Suisun City, California and Rockhill Furnace, Pennsylvania. The restoration costs were underwritten, in part, by a SDG&E grant.

“For well over a century, SDG&E has been powering the original San Diego zero emissions vehicle – the San Diego trolley,” said Jim Avery, senior vice president of power supply and clean transportation for SDG&E. “As we celebrate the 100-year anniversary of Balboa Park, the Balboa Park Centennial trolley reminds us all of that great tradition, one that we continue to build on as more and more of use clean transportation in our daily lives.”

And thanks to a second SDG&E grant, San Diego Unified School District third grade students will be invited to ride transit downtown, including the historic vintage trolley cars. This education program gives third-graders real-world perspective riding modern and historic modes of public transit. Vintage trolley riders will also see SDG&E, Balboa Park, San Diego Unified School District and MTS historic photos displayed above the windows inside both vintage trolleys, which will alternate operating on the Silver Line.

"Our district's Vision 2020 of creating quality schools in neighborhood states that community partnerships add to the success of students," said San Diego Unified Board Trustee Richard Barrera. "The partnership with MTS and SDG&E will give our students the unique opportunity to experience San Diego history through the vintage trolley program. We are grateful to MTS and SDG&E for their continued support and commitment to the success of the students of San Diego."

The Silver Line runs a downtown loop in a clockwise direction only. It begins at the 12th & Imperial Transit Center along the Green Line to America Plaza and then along the Blue/Orange Line back to the 12th & Imperial Transit Center. The full 2.7-mile round trip takes 25 minutes and runs every 30 minutes on Tuesdays, Thursdays and on weekends. The Vintage trolley connects to all MTS routes that serve Balboa Park including Routes 3 and 120 which serve the Park’s west side and routes 7 and new Rapid 215 which serve stops on Park Boulevard. For MTS routes, fare, and schedule information or a trip plan visit www.sdmts.com. Vintage Trolley information is also available at www.SDVintageTrolley.com.

Photo (from L to R): MTS CEO Paul Jablonski, San Diego County Supervisor Ron Roberts, San Diego City Councilmember Todd Gloria, MTS Board Chairman Harry Mathis, San Diego Unified Board Trustee Richard Barrera, La Mesa City Councilmember Guy McWhirter, Coronado City Councilmember Mike Woiwode, SDG&E Senior Vice President of Power Supply and Clean Transportation Jim Avery, National City Councilmember Mona Rios and former Coronado Councilmember Al Ovrom.

So now the second restored PCC is in service and work has presumably started on the next one, which will be 531. I wonder if this will mean service on more weekdays on the Silver Line. The present service only runs for a few hours on Tuesdays, Thursdays and weekends as follows. All departure times are from the 12th & Imperial Transit Center:

Tuesdays and Thursdays: From 09:52 until 13:52 (1:52 PM) with a departure every 30 minutes.
Weekends: From 10:52 until 15:22 (3:22 PM) with a departure every 30 minutes.

Last edited by Tyger-Wyger; April 29th, 2015 at 03:13 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 06:25 PM   #156
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 12731

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...t-funding.html

San Diego receives transport funding
02 Jul 2015

USA: San Diego Metropolitan Transit System announced on July 1 that it is to purchase eight more Siemens S70US light rail vehicles and build a new stop to serve the San Diego Central Courthouse being built on C Street between State and Union streets.

The announcement follows the award of a $31·9m grant from the California Department of Transportation’s Transit & Intercity Rail Capital Program

Tyger-Wyger, geometarkv liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:40 AM   #157
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Thanks for the good news! The new trams should be numbered 4066 to 4073. That means more for me to ride when the time comes!

I was in Paris last week riding around on RER Lines A and E. I finished the E but still have two more branches of the A. Later will come B, C and D.

I also went to Bondy in hopes of finding Avanto (S-70 in Europe) TT 05, the last one of the 15in the Paris Area I need photos of but no luck.

A little later on I'll be going to Mulhouse in pursuit of the 12 Avantos working from there to Thann. They use normal SNCF tracks for most of the service but the rest is on Mulhouse's tram lines.

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by Tyger-Wyger; July 3rd, 2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 12:06 PM   #158
lunarwhite

Likes (Received): 10

Good to hear about the second (and third) PCCs.

Not so good to hear about this.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2015/07/01/l...rolley-tracks/

dimlys1994, Tyger-Wyger liked this post
lunarwhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:35 PM   #159
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

On that same website was another story about SDMTS. It had to do with extra trolley services being run for the fireworks on the night of July the Fourth, the USA national holiday. Rather more interesting than the story of the lost visitor in downtown SD.

Tags
san diego, us light rail