SkyscraperCity Forum banner

45 Church Street | Offices | 14fl | 60m | Comp.

81K views 780 replies 87 participants last post by  Gradius 
#1 · (Edited)
Think we lost this thread due to the hacker, and SMC has added some interior shots and a really nice skyline view from the building.

45 Church St Business Quarter Central Birmingham

Client
Saxan Securities

45 Church Street occupies a prime site in the centre of Birmingham’s Business Quarter.
SMC Corstorphine & Wright are retained by Saxan Securities as architects for the £35m redevelopment of the site to provide a 12,000 sq m headquarters building.

The building has been designed to provide high quality office accomodation in the centre of Birmingham.

See less See more
#4 ·
Same here took ages, thought id restart the thread in anticipation of more news, the tenants are going to have great views from the top, you can make out lots of key city buildings, and fingers crossed if M3's diamond scheme is built by the BT Tower will look amazing from there.

#5 ·
Same here took ages, thought id restart the thread in anticipation of more news, the tenants are going to have great views from the top, you can make out lots of key city buildings, and fingers crossed if M3's diamond scheme is built by the BT Tower will look amazing from there.

#18 ·
Not really, it's just the replacment dosn't solve any problems of the orginal, still I suppose like many Brutalist buildings, it's possible that Peat House simply dosn't work well as a Building.

Natwest should never have been built, well, the buildings that were there should never have been replaced, but I'll reserve judgment till I see the replacement. Nice doors though.

#19 ·
I can help feeling that the natwest tower was actually trying to provide a "modern" neo-gothic building to compliment the surrounding neo-Gothic and neo classical edwardian buildings, but I dont think it worked. It would be interesting to see what the building would look like if it were re-clad in a neo gothic style with brick, stone, terracotta, big arches and roundels but still following the towers odd shape, I think it has potential.

#20 ·
Not any more!

Apparently large floor plans are the big thing in Business these days, Gnat-West Tower dosn't have them, so it's for the chop.

Apparently when they go from Cubes to open plan producticity increases, so everyone changes, then they notice that cubes increases productivity, never seeming to notice it's the change, not what they're changing too that's important.

Does seem incradable that a building in that location can stay empty for so long.

Wondering off subject here, but has anyone heard any news about the Nat-west tower?

#21 ·
Stephen Robinson said:
And although it's horribly out of place the 70s one has a certain dated charm about it, sure it's hideous, but give it a couple of years (decades) it may have come back into fashion.
Ha! Even as arch eyesore-defender and pro-sixties-seventies whinger-in-chief I can't bring myself to say a nice word about the brown Peat House. The new one may not be great but it's certainly an improvement to my eye.

I love Nat West though - a far subtler and more contextual building than the shiny lump that was the last design I saw for a replacement IMO.

#22 · (Edited)
I like the Skater slope thing at the base!

The new one is an improvment I suppose. As I've said before I like the one next to the Nat west Builing and the Council House with Starbucks (oh, dear) in it, classical with moderist form, I'd much rather have that sort of thing than the Peat House replacement.

And I really hate the replacement of the 80s building just around the corner.
http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=333914

#23 ·
Stephen Robinson said:
I like the Skater slope thing at the base!

The new one is an improvment I suppose. As I've said before I like the one next to the Nat west Builing and the Council House with Starbucks (oh, dear) in it, classical with moderist form, I'd much rather have that sort of thing than the Peat House replacement.

And I really hate the replacement of the 80s building just around the corner.
http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=333914
I'm the opposite way round on them two - with the Starbucks building I'd argue that the vaguely contextual wallpaper doesn't mesh with or adequately make up for the large, ungainly uncontextual shape, while I quite like the way that the Newhall Street building has contextual red terracotta at the base and up to the cornice line to connect it to the buildings around it, with uncontextual glass where the building breaks through the street's cornice line, and the two materials interlocking in the middle.

Slight over-use of the word "contextual" there, perhaps. Oh well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.