search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Home Counties and South West England

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 29th, 2017, 10:23 PM   #781
RickLW

Likes (Received): 126

As far as The Chiefs and E City are concerned I have the following comments: First of all congratulations to the Chiefs for proving themselves the top R U team in the land. It would have been touch -and -go against the Sarries. Once they got past that test, I thought they would beat Wasps, as they usually beat them. Wasps have improved greatly...but I have found the results usually go to form. True, it came down to the last kick of the game!
Unlike football where there is often an upset, and a team can often raise their game. On form, I am sure City were favourites (just), but it was not to be.
RickLW no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2017, 10:35 PM   #782
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 649

I took my boy up town this afternoon to see the Chief's parade through the city centre. Lots of people out giving the team their full appreciation of what they have achieved and a great atmosphere. After all the high profile fires of late its good to see some good news for a change in this city. The rugby club brings the city to the fore of the country, and in Europe too, in a way that would otherwise would be difficult for a small city like Exeter to do. I'm sure the hospitality side of the city like hotels and restaurants must pick up a sizable amount of business off visiting fans. Most opposition fans I get chattering to when I go to watch a game say they spend the weekend in the city. Irritatingly as we were walking away from the parade today I overheard some irk jesting 'dunno what the fuss is all about, not as if they won the champions league is it'. No doubt some plastic Sky TV Man Utd fan who has even been to a football game.

RickLW liked this post
cyril sneer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2017, 03:25 PM   #783
dronkula

Likes (Received): 160

Going through the town centre earlier today, I noticed the British Heart Foundation shop on Cheeke St now has hoarding around it with signs that Gilpin are about to work their magic to clear the site.

As I would suspect the developers want the new Student accommodation ready for the Sept 2018 academic year, we could actually end up with having the coach waiting room and info point ready before they've even started building the new bus station. As the Stagecoach Depot redevelopment should also be finishing at around the same time, at that point it would make sense to just move the coach services to their 'final' setup along Bamflyde rather than temporarily moving them to Sidwell St...

cyril sneer liked this post
dronkula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2017, 05:02 PM   #784
cyril sneer

The application for the King Billy student scheme has been formally lodged.

http://pub.exeter.gov.uk/scripts/aco...ystemkey=74573

I really quite like this one. Fits in well with the surroundings on that junction and good use of a difficult plot to develop. I notice on the ground floor plans there is proposed to be a unit for a small bar/restaurant. I wonder if The King Billy will live to see another day in another incarnation? One thing that strikes me with this one is it will be difficult to build. John Lewis delivery area contraints to the rear and a busy junction to the front where buses will soon be diverted via from the closure of Paris Street.
Old June 7th, 2017, 09:00 PM   #785
RickLW

You asked what is the nicest street in Plymouth Cyril. It made me think (as I do)...What is the nicest location in Exeter. I can't think of any particular street (maybe Queen St?). I would say possibly in order - Cathedral Green, The Quay - and the Guildhall Square with the Roman style columns.
Old June 7th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #786
cyril sneer

In my opinion the centre of Exeter has 4 great locations; Cathedral Green, The Quay, Southernhay (my favourite street), and Rougemont Castle with its surrounding gardens. Other than that theres only really the odd medieval church, Tudor house and Georgian terrace here and there. Actually some of the nicest parts of Exeter are outside the centre like around St Leonards and St Davids.
Old June 14th, 2017, 10:27 PM   #787
cyril sneer

Development works have commenced at St James Park. Progress being made on the new changing rooms beneath the main stand and construction of the new away stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post

RickLW liked this post
Old June 16th, 2017, 06:57 PM   #788
raymondindevon

Likes (Received): 18

plans in with the council for more student flats. This application is for the demolition of mama stones on mary arches street to replace with 31 bed student housing (opposite the other student development under construction - quintana gate). It seems to be the same developer that wants the two sites to be connected with shared facilities so they are similar in design. Its a bit of a shame the live music venue is closed as with the quintana gate development opposite that would have greatly increased the footfall and it could have become popular with students
http://pub.exeter.gov.uk/scripts/aco...ystemkey=74745

I guess it raises the question if the closed down rococo nightclub will be joining the other buildings on the street becoming student developments? The location would seem to be right and there doesn't seem any sign of it re opening soon. Although i've never liked the place, would again be disappointing for exeter nightlife

Last edited by raymondindevon; June 16th, 2017 at 07:06 PM.
raymondindevon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 07:23 PM   #789
raymondindevon

Likes (Received): 18

Previously

Existing (with approved development opposite)

Proposed

cyril sneer liked this post

Last edited by raymondindevon; June 16th, 2017 at 07:30 PM.
raymondindevon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 09:41 PM   #790
cyril sneer

I think those two corner blocks either side of the street should look quite decent together. Certainly an improvement on the previous incarnations on that junction.
Old June 25th, 2017, 04:06 PM   #791
cyril sneer

They've started to demolish the former British Heart Foundation building on Cheek Street

IMG_3372 by C S, on Flickr

I noticed the former Co-op adjacent is being fitted out to be The British Heart Foundation's new unit.
Old June 25th, 2017, 04:13 PM   #792
cyril sneer

My understanding of the current situation with student accommodation,

Currently live on site are:-

Queen Street studios
Bonhay Road adjacent to St Davids station
Eagle Yard, Tudor Street

Student accommodation site preparations current:-

Quintana Gate
Former Stagecoach Depot, Cheeke Street
Former British Heart Foundation, Cheeke Street
Radmore & Tucker, Frog Street

RickLW liked this post
Old June 25th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #793
RickLW

It is good to see those buildings going. Rather grim when compared to other parts of the city. I particularly don't like - you see them in most places, 60s 70s - those square or rectangular buildings. Woud'nt take a lot of architectural skill or imagination I would think. Columns and fancy features could set off and otherwise bland building.
It will be good to see the progress at St James' Park as it takes shape.
Old June 25th, 2017, 08:25 PM   #794
cyril sneer

Unfortunately there are a lot of rubbish areas in Exeter City remaining from the post war build. Sidwell Street is awful as is South Street and the huge blank facades of the Guildhall Centre on North Street and Paul Street. They are slowly but surely making good the crap parts with Princesshay done and with any luck the bus station area next up. Also plans are being discussed for South Street. The building I really want to see demolished is M&S on the High Street. A truely awful building.
Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM   #795
cyril sneer

The Boatshed Theatre on the canal basin is up and running for pop up events. BBC Spotlight were there last night and the director of the Boatshed say they hope to have it up and running properly with a main 250 seat theatre and a secondary 150 seat theatre by 2021.
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #796
cyril sneer

The away terrace at St James Park is progressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post

RickLW liked this post

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: