search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > Baltimore / Washington DC

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM   #43521
lmshertz

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
I actually heard an out of town developer this morning say "The problem with Baltimore is it's aging and decrepit infrastructure. The last time I was there they still had the old cobblestone streets...."

I almost interrupted him and said "We have the cobblestone streets because we like cobblestone streets." I just held my tongue. I am getting a little weary having to always take up for Baltimore.
I can understand what they mean regarding infrastructure. We are just now addressing our century old sewage issues! There are potholes everywhere and sidewalks are crumbling. But that can be said about most of the country at this point. This is not solely Baltimore's problem.

I'm with you on the cobblestone though. I find it charming and something to keep us apart from other cities in the US. It allows visitors and residents to experience the history instead of read about it. Although I will admit, it's a pain in the ass to bike on .

rockin'.baltimorean liked this post
lmshertz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM   #43522
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfneil View Post
Won't you need to take away from the Light St. side roughly what you gain by eliminating the connector? And won't you still need loading dock access lane for the back side of the Light Street pavilion? I don't see re-configuring Light Street as a great solution for anything but creating a lot more noise pollution from traffic going from Conway to Calvert via two harder turns.

This is the concept that the city shared for what a reconfigured McKeldin Square would look like. You can see that the western edge of the plaza gets shaved off a bit, but overall, it was a significant net increase in space for McKeldin Square and a net decrease in road width.

The connector is 5-6 lanes wide. You can see that it is being replaced by three lanes of northbound traffic plus a tree-lined median. Southbound, Light Street is currently also 5-6 lanes. Based on the concept above, it looks like it would be consistently five lanes.

I'm not sure how they'll handle the loading docks - it's not visible in the concept - but the road could open up south of McKeldin Square. It might not be all that different from what it is today along that stretch, except maybe for a small stretch for store frontage, similar to what they're doing on the north side of the Pratt Street Pavilion.

EDIT: Actually, now that I look at that concept more closely, you'll see that they add an extra lane to Pratt Street east of Light Street. It's currently four lanes. In the concept, it is five lanes. I guess that is to accommodate the turning traffic.

UCTerp liked this post
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM   #43523
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 2246

i'm not even sure if I'm in favor of eliminating the "bear off" traffic connector between Pratt from Light. For those of us who are constantly downtown on a regular basis, we know first hand that it helps significantly with the flow of traffic at that corner.

however, if they choose to not get rid of this traffic connector, it'll probably mean not gettin' the fountain, right?

Last edited by rockin'.baltimorean; Yesterday at 10:30 PM.
rockin'.baltimorean está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM   #43524
waj0527

Likes (Received): 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'.baltimorean View Post
i'm not even sure if I'm in favor of eliminating the "bear off" traffic connector between Pratt from Light. For those of us who are constantly downtown on a regular basis, we know first hand that it helps significantly with the flow of traffic at that corner.

however, if they choose to not get rid of this traffic connector, it'll probably mean not gettin' the fountain, right?
I honestly don't see Light Street as a major problem. I see parks in cities all the time where traffic is literally just outside of the park. I think losing Light Street for the sake of having a bigger park would be a mistake. As many people have commented, it often takes EONS to get from one side of the Inner Harbor to the other. That would get worse without the connector. I've heard of a double right turning lane being an alternative to what we have, but even that makes me leery.
waj0527 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM   #43525
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
Originally Posted by osfan24 View Post
I've heard a lot of good things about the Sandlot. Maybe it's just the flavor of the month, but people seem to love it. I almost wonder if they shouldn't consider it permanently. They have several years to assess it. That land is so valuable because it sits right on the water, but maybe not building out Harbor Point completely would help drive more interest in the CBD. ...
5-7 years until a permanent park will be developed there. Plenty of time to enjoy it ...

UCTerp liked this post
jamie_hunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:02 AM   #43526
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmshertz View Post
I'm with you on the cobblestone though. I find it charming and something to keep us apart from other cities in the US. ...
Belgian blocks. squared-off grey granite blocks.

Cobblestone -- rounded river rock used as pavers -- has a more irregular pattern and is more likely to cause you to break your ankle. It's used in a few gutters here and there, but Belgian blocks predominate.
jamie_hunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:03 AM   #43527
waj0527

Likes (Received): 329

I have to remember that not everybody likes historic touches offered in Acela cities. I guess if you're from San Jose or LA, you might consider it simply old.
waj0527 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:36 PM   #43528
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
I honestly don't see Light Street as a major problem. I see parks in cities all the time where traffic is literally just outside of the park. I think losing Light Street for the sake of having a bigger park would be a mistake. As many people have commented, it often takes EONS to get from one side of the Inner Harbor to the other. That would get worse without the connector. I've heard of a double right turning lane being an alternative to what we have, but even that makes me leery.
It'll be interesting to see how people use the new park. I think one of the impetuses for reconfiguring the street was because people weren't using McKeldin Square. It was basically just a place that people walked through to get to and from the promenade.

By physically connecting it to the promenade, people would be more likely to use the space because you eliminate the barrier of having to cross six lanes of traffic to get there. If you've been walking on the promenade and are looking for a quieter place to sit, McKeldin Square should be an option. But up until now, people don't view it as one. Hopefully, the new changes will be enough to draw people to the park. But I still suspect that needing to journey across six lanes of traffic is going to limit its success.

UCTerp liked this post
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:28 PM   #43529
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 2246

yes.

don't get me wrong; the idea of havin' this beautiful fountain in phase 2 sounds grand, but at the expense of losin' that connector?

i don't know...

Tags
baltimore, development, development summary