SkyscraperCity Forum banner

SHANGHAI | Projects & Construction

Tags
shanghai
2M views 4K replies 381 participants last post by  little universe 
#1 · (Edited)
#3,511 ·
That's been in the works for quite some time. There have been a couple of iterations of renders I think. All the existing buildings have been cleared ready for restoration/redevelopment to happen I think.

Gaoloumi threads if just to look at pictures:

#3,516 ·
No. The internal roads are right.

#3,518 · (Edited)

Hengshan Road (Former Avenue Pétain) Urban Renewal - 衡山路(原法租界贝当路)城市更新
Located at Former Shanghai French Concession, Hengshan Rd was known as Avenue Pétain (named after Philippe Pétain) in old days.
It is part of the Greater Hengshan Rd & Middle Fuxing Rd (Former Route Lafayette / 辣斐德路 ) Protected Historic Area (衡复历史风貌保护区).

by Rose on 500px

by Rose on 500px

by Rose on 500px

#3,519 ·
Is it a chinese thing that different districts borrow leafs from different countries? I mean some of these images straight out look like they're from England, Amsterdam, or Germany instead of China; the fact that China does not have its own architectural style even to this day is unfortunate; this is the issue with using the top international firms to build your cities instead of building up your own.

#3,521 ·
those images contain buildings that were literally built by germans, english, dutch and french in the late-colonial era, so it looking like a western town is not unlikely.

But your point still stands; modern archictecture looks very similar worldwide. we should stop using forums like this so we wont copy each other so much!

and lets be fair; where else but in China will they casually build a 50 meter ball of steel and glass to contain a gym?

#3,520 ·
#3,523 · (Edited)
Mansa Musa

The USA does not have its own style of architecture. Everything that is the USA comes from other countries. The same applies to Australia. It also applies to Europe. In principle, every European country has the same architecture as every other European country. This is also the case in South America. Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Cartagena, Havana. All basically European classical architecture. But which Europe? Portugal ? Spain ?
Architecture is universal and not nationalistic. What people like, people like, no matter what race, religion, color or nationality they are. There are genetic patterns in the human species. Accordingly, architecture does not necessarily differ and tends towards similarity.

Traditionally, Beijing was built of stone. In Shanghai with wood. China was not always the China of today but was once fragmented into small empires.

China has a colonial past and maintains the positive aspect of architecture that is good for people.

Shanghai and China pays tribute to European culture. That's something positive.

#3,527 ·
In principle, every European country has the same architecture as every other European country.
Here I would strongly disagree.

Maybe in recent times, the architecture is becoming more similar in some cases but if you look at Stockholm, Paris, Amsterdam, Vienna, London, Rome or Madrid, the classic architecture differs a lot. Even today, modern architecture in the Netherlands is quite different (and mostly better) than the one in Munich.

The US, while started using european architectural styles (City Beautiful movement etc.) has evolved and sometimes refinded them for their particular uses. I would call Neo Gothic or Art Deco skyscrapers a pure american invention.

The same applies now to architecture in China and Taiwan as zupermaus said. MAD or C.Y. Lee are creating designs, which only work there and not on London or Chicago.

That being said, I even think 90s and 00s buildings in Shanghai as the Oriental Pearl Tower, Jin Mao Tower, Tomorrow Square or the Radisson Blue Hotel could only be built in China with their distinct mix of Western and Chinese elements. So they did create their own style. Sadly most skyscrapers who are getting built right now are soulless blue boxes, being it in Shanghai Shenzhen or Manhattan.

#3,524 · (Edited)
Mansa Musa, to add onto the fact that Shanghai is keeping in line with the colonial styles of each district, doesnt mean it doesn't have its homegrown styles too. The restoration of the Old City, not to mention the watertowns such as Qibao and Zhujiajao are entire cities of traditional Chinese architecture within Shanghai.

Also please bear in mind the International Style of modernism is called that for a reason. It's not like the West is building using new versions of cathedrals, steeples, columns or mansard roofs -if anything modernism sources its aesthetics from the functionalism of zen architecture in Japan, and the mud brick, white painted blocks of Morocco/ North Africa that the early modernists went to study.

Thirdly, there is a huge amount of homegrown Chinese firms, some of them Pritzker Prize winning operating both in China and abroad, including many big names such as MAD, X+Living and META. Chinese firms are actually known for combining traditional and contemporary elements.

Go to any Chinese city and you will see Ye Olde Town being restored, plus a huge raft of new architecture with local styles and aesthetics still, flowing with the cutting edge designs.

#3,530 · (Edited)

Throwback Thursday as usual...

Former Catholic Collège Saint Ignace (or Xuhui College) Built in 1917 - 天主教圣依纳爵公学(徐汇公学)旧址
Xujiahui, Xuhui District, SW Shanghai

Collège Saint Ignace was founded by a French Jesuit Missionary named Claude Gotteland (南格禄) in 1850 and was closed by PRC government in 1951.
Collège Saint Ignace (or Xuhui College) was rebuilt by its alumni in Taiwan in 1963. It is now known as New Taipei St. Ignatius High School (新北天主教徐匯中學).
The other famous catholic school in Shanghai was the St. Francis Xavier's College (圣芳济书院) founded in 1874. It was relocated to Hong Kong after the communist's takeover of Shanghai in 1949 like many other foreign institutions at the time.
The then famous protestant schools in Shanghai were: Anglo-Chinese School (英华书院), McTyeire School (中西女中) & St. Mary's Hall (圣玛丽女中), etc.

#3,531 ·
@littleuniverse

By Shikumen do you mean the Lilong Houses? I call them Lilongs, that's what they're usually called. These are the workers' houses built on the English model. It's true that these are made of stone, but that's not what I meant. I said "traditional". I mean the old town. The old town of Beijing was built of stone. This was because it is colder in the north. In the warmer south - with Shanghai begins the zone from which no heating was built into the apartments - ie in Shanghai, the old town was built of wood. Yes, the walls of the houses are also made of stone, but many elements in the old town of Shanghai are made of wood. Unlike in Beijing. And that's probably or quite definitely the reason why the building fabric collapsed rotten over the decades when Mao ruled. That would not have happened in Beijing. The old houses in Shanghai's old town are more prone to decay if investments are not made to maintain the building fabric every few years. That is why Shanghai Old Town is the largest project in Shanghai and international star architects have drawn up master plans to renovate and modernize it. That's going to be the big thing in Shanghai.

#3,532 ·
Shanghai - Panlong Urban Village Renewal Project

#3,533 · (Edited)
@littleuniverse

By Shikumen do you mean the Lilong Houses? I call them Lilongs, that's what they're usually called. These are the workers' houses built on the English model. It's true that these are made of stone, but that's not what I meant. I said "traditional". I mean the old town. The old town of Beijing was built of stone. This was because it is colder in the north. In the warmer south - with Shanghai begins the zone from which no heating was built into the apartments - ie in Shanghai, the old town was built of wood. Yes, the walls of the houses are also made of stone, but many elements in the old town of Shanghai are made of wood. Unlike in Beijing. And that's probably or quite definitely the reason why the building fabric collapsed rotten over the decades when Mao ruled. That would not have happened in Beijing. The old houses in Shanghai's old town are more prone to decay if investments are not made to maintain the building fabric every few years. That is why Shanghai Old Town is the largest project in Shanghai and international star architects have drawn up master plans to renovate and modernize it. That's going to be the big thing in Shanghai.

Yes, Shanghai does have traditional Jiangnanese (or Wu Chinese) vernacular architectures (江南民居/江浙民居) which were made up of timber materials and brickworks and are mostly black and white in colors.
But you can only find those Jiangnanese vernacular buildings within Shanghai's old walled city (上海老城厢, aka "Shanghai Chinese City" to European Shanghailanders in old days) and in those suburban ancient canal towns.
Shanghai is not in a sense a traditional Jiangnanese (or Wu Chinese) city like Suzhou or Hangzhou.
The real building type represents Shanghai is Shikumen, it's an important cultural symbol of Shanghai's unique Haipai Culture (海派文化, "Shanghai-style" or "East meets West").
If you look at google earth, vast majority of old Shanghai's residential building type is Shikumen (or Linong or Longtang or whatever you wanna call it).
If you've ever strolled around Shanghai's old walled city, you'll be surprised to find large amounts of Shikumen buildings there.

Shanghai - Panlong Urban Village Renewal Project

^^

I found photos of this Panlong Resort Town from 500px. :)

The Newly Opened Panlong Tiandi Resort Town (Traditional Wu Chinese Style) - 新近落成的蟠龙天地
Qingpu District, Suburban Shanghai

by Jason on 500px

by Jason on 500px

by Jason on 500px

by Jason on 500px

by Jason on 500px

by Jason on 500px

by Jason on 500px

by Jason on 500px

by Jason on 500px

#3,534 · (Edited)

Throwback Thursday as usual...

Former Anglican Shanghai St. John's University (1879 -1952) - 旧上海 圣约翰大学
It was one of the best Christian Universities in China prior to its forced closure by the PRC government in 1952.
Former campus of Shanghai St. John's University is now utilized by the East China University of Political Science and Law (华东政法大学).

by Petersphotograph on 500px

by 同舟共济SUN HOME G on 500px

by 海阳鱼 on 500px

by 133****8312 on 500px

#3,536 · (Edited)

Jiangwan New CBD Construction Updates - 建设中的新江湾城CBD(大创智创新区)
Wujiaochang Area, Yangpu District, North Shanghai

Source:

Source:

#3,538 · (Edited)
@little universe, how much percent of this shikumen is a rebuilt shikumen?

by Jason on 500px
^^
There is no rebuilt one, 100% of them are original ones.
This Zhangyuan Shikumen Neighbourhood is a heritage-listed site and it is strictly protected according to the law.
All of the historic 43 blocks of Shikumen buildings will be retained and renovated.
I think they demolished all of the ugly buildings built in the 1980s and 1990s within this neighbourhood and will replace them with some new modern structures.
They also temporarily moved and relocated some of the historic blocks (still within this site though) to make way for the construction works of underground spaces/structures or something like that.
The new buildings (a theatre, an art gallery and a boutique hotel) were designed by British architect David Chipperfield.

by Jason on 500px

As I posted a bit earlier:
The bigger Zhangyuan Phase II will not only retain & renovate all the historic shikumen buildings but also add some modern structures (a theatre, an art gallery and a boutique hotel) and an upscale underground shopping centre connecting to the metro system.
The whole project will be completed by the end of 2026.

The adjacent Fengsheng-Li (丰盛里) Shikumen has quite a few rebuilt ones though.

Have a read of the sources below:

#3,539 ·
As I posted a bit earlier:
The bigger Zhangyuan Phase II will not only retain & renovate all the historic shikumen buildings but also add some modern structures (a theatre, an art gallery and a boutique hotel) and an upscale underground shopping centre connecting to the metro system.
The whole project will be completed by the end of 2026.
a thousand of apologizes. there are so many photos that I doesn't pay much attention for the texts. :unsure:

#3,543 · (Edited)
North Bund 90 design just released. 180m - 37 floors

^^
Just noticed that the heritage-listed Former Nanyang Brothers Tabacco Company's Headquarters Building (known as Gaoyang Mansion / 高阳大楼 today) will be encompassed by this North Bund 90 development.
:);)

Former Nanyang Brothers Tobacco Company Headquarters Built in 1915 - 南洋兄弟烟草总部大楼旧址
@ Dong-Daming Road (东大名路, Former East Broadway Road / 东百老汇路), Northern Part of Former Shanghai British & American Concession (旧上海英美公共租界北区).

Nanyang Brothers was China's largest Tobacco Company in the early 20th Century, it was relocated to Hong Kong after communist's takeover of Shanghai in 1949.

by Julie on 500px

#3,544 · (Edited)
#3,545 · (Edited)

An Unknown Construction Site at the Corner of Middle Sichuan Road & Beijing Road (East)
Could anyone help me to identify the project that is U/C at the corner of Middle Sichuan Road & Beijing Road (East)?
I know that the adjacent RockBund (or Waitanyuan) Urban Renewal Phase II / 外滩源城市更新二期 will start soon, would it be part of RockBund Phase II project?

The site is to the right of the photographer's watermark:

by THEO on 500px

An Unknown Construction Site next to the Greenland Bund Centre Complex
Office tower? commercial? residential? cultural?

by 狮子王 on 500px

^^
@Victhor
What is this construction site sitting right in front of the Greenland Bund Centre Complex?

P.S.
This area just outside Xionanmen (or small south gate/小南门) of the Former Shanghai Old Walled City (上海老城厢) used to be one of the most disadvantaged neighbourhoods (aka Xiazhijiao/下只角 in Shanghainese) in Shanghai. The area experienced a dramatic facelifting in the past 2 decades.

#3,546 ·

Shanghai Disney Resort breaks ground for third themed hotel
By Li Qian
12:42 UTC+8, 2023-08-31

Construction on Shanghai Disney Resort's third themed hotel officially kicked off on Thursday.
Located on the shores of Wishing Star Lake, it is positioned as a deluxe hotel with 400 rooms, providing extraordinary views of Shanghai Disneyland.
Influenced by Art Nouveau architecture and design, and infused with Disney storytelling and whimsy, the hotel design is an homage to Shanghai's unique early 20th-century architectural legacy, while staying true to the resort's overall planning principle of being "authentically Disney and distinctly Chinese."
New dining, shopping and entertainment experiences will also be introduced.
Currently, Shanghai Disney Resort encompasses Shanghai Disneyland, Disneytown, Wishing Star Park, and two themed hotels ― the elegant 420-room Shanghai Disneyland Hotel and the playful 795-room Toy Story Hotel ― as well as outdoor recreation areas.
Construction on the world's first Zootopia-themed facility is well on its way, with it scheduled to be completed this year, becoming the eighth themed land at Shanghai Disneyland.

Construction of Shanghai Legoland will begin in September

By SHI JING in Shanghai | China Daily | Updated: 2023-08-18 09:30

The key design of a theme park at Legoland Shanghai Resort has been completed and construction of the main project will begin in September, local government authorities said on Wednesday.

Covering a total area of 318,000 square meters, the resort — located in Jinshan district in the southeastern part of the city — will consist of the Legoland theme park and a hotel.

At least 50 percent of the theme park's civil engineering project, including construction of the building, roads and basic utilities, will be completed by the end of this year when some landmark buildings are expected to top out, the Jinshan government said.