daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects For completed tall buildings in and around Birmingham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 8th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #1
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 36

79-84 High Street | 4fl | Refurbishment | Comp.

Thanks for Feltip for delivering the details.

Architect: 3D Reid
Developer: Cushman & Wakefield

Progression of the proposal:
Started with this news article:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steldemetriou View Post
Wellcome / Cushman to submit Brum retail plans
Lisa Pilkington 13/06/2008 11:30

The Wellcome Trust and Cushman & Wakefield Investors are to submit plans for a retail development in Birmingham city centre.

They will reconfigure 79-84 High Street – close to the Bullring shopping centre – to provide 43,000 sq ft of new shopping space over four floors.

Stores with floorplates of 11,000 sq ft will be on the ground and first floors, while up to 15,000 sq ft of space will be provided on the upper floors for office or leisure uses.

Work is expected to start later this year.

Churston Heard and Cushman & Wakefield are the agents.
And this render:

Planning application submitted on July 2nd:
Quote:
Application number
C/03582/08/FUL

Date application received
02/07/2008

Date application registered
02/07/2008

Status
Under Consultation

79-84 High Street, City, Birmingham, B4 7TE

Proposal
New full height, part projecting facade, removal of external canopy and increased floorspace to incorporate A1 & A2 uses at basement, ground & first floors & A1 - A5, B1(a) & D2 uses at second and third floors

Applicant name and address
Mr Dominic Ward
The Wellcome Trust Ltd
215 Euston Road
London
NW1 2BE

Agent name and address
3D Reid
12 Caroline Street
Birmingham
B3 1TR

Council decision
Under consideration
Decision date

Consultation details
Consultations Help
Start date
02/07/2008
End date
29/07/2008
Images from the planning app:

And now the new renders:

Quote:
New Retail Development for Key Birmingham Site
Cushman & Wakefield Investors have released details of a new retail development in a 100% prime location on High Street, Birmingham designed by the Midlands office of architects 3DReid.

Located opposite the Pavilions Shopping Centre Entrance and close to the Bullring and intersection with New Street, the development will provide nearly 43,000sqft of flagship retail accommodation over 4 floors with the flexibility to divide into 3 separate units depending on specific requirements. Above the retail, there is again flexibility with the building suitable for both office and leisure uses, including health and fitness and restaurants.

This area has been long over due for a facelift and sits within a large urban block which has not been altered since it was built in the 1960’s. The intention is to remove the solid concrete canopy, which runs at low level around the perimeter of large sections of the urban block, the replacement with full height glazing to the retail frontage will substantially improve the visual impact. This prime retail area between the Bullring and Marks & Spencer is perfectly placed to attract either high profile single or multiple tenants as the floor plates are both generous and flexible. The joint letting agents on the development are Churston Heard and Cushman & Wakefield.

Robert Alston from Cushman & Wakefield, said: “The potential development allows up to circa 15,000 sq ft of 2nd/3rd floor space to be potentially used for leisure or restaurant uses, accessed from a designated lift/lobby area, as well as benefitting from prominent signage fronting High Street, which is visible from the Bull Ring entrance”.

Damian Sumner, Retail Director at Churston Heard comments: ‘Having secured vacant possession of the entire site, we are able to confirm deliverability to potential tenants which is key in the current market. The exciting redevelopment offers retailers with modern, well configured units at a time when there is limited comparable availability elsewhere in the city centre.’

Cushman & Wakefield Investors are looking to start on site towards the end of 2008, with handover proposed for Summer 2009.
http://www.3dreid.com/content/298/view
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 8th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

And larger renders:

The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old July 8th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Steldemetriou
Stel

Likes (Received): 34

Looks like the design has changed since the article, looks good!
Steldemetriou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #4
fruit&nut
A glass and a half...

Likes (Received): 131

Is this not part of the "greater" big top then?

I like it, it's very "German or Spanish City" looking - and makes the crap around it look very drab!
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #5
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

As this snippit in the planning app says, the owners do not have any authority over the rest of the complex so they are restricted with what they can do.

Old July 8th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #6
DE51GNR

Likes (Received): 10

It's a shame the rest of the shops on that side aren't included. It would have made that part of High St really good as it leads up to what will be Martineau Galleries.
DE51GNR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #7
feltip

Likes (Received): 310

Well I suspect Big Top will see a redevelopment post Martineau Galleries. Would almost be silly not to with potential for increased revenue through increased demand a redevelopment will bring for the site owners.

Be interesting to see what potential designs would develop to link with Martineau Galleries, Bullring, Corporation Street and this development.

Definitely agree it has a nice vibe F&N.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #8
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 134

i really do like this scheme, shows what a good quality refurb can actually do...

... though if your waiting for wholesale redevelopment of the site then you will be waiting a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time!
Old July 9th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #9
Soul_13
Advocatus Diaboli

Likes (Received): 145

Someone please refurb the shity tower on top of that...
Soul_13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #10
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

I think this site is just so prominent that a redevelopment right now is really out of the question. And the fact that it is owned by several groups, makes it more difficult to redevelop the whole thing at once. Unless they can join into an alliance like the Birmingham Alliance which consists of Hammerson, Henderson and Land Securities (and apparently the Pearl Group). These are major property investors with real ambition. At Big Top, the owners are really not that big and I am not sure that they would really want to enter a partnership to deliver something as major as a complete reconstruction of the site. It's a shame as this really has potential.

But as this proposal shows, not everything needs to be resolved through demolition. A good, thorough refurb can have an amazing effect. I would say the priority when it comes to refurbing this would be the New Street side and the apex facing the Bullring. The High Street side should then follow soon. I would love to see City Centre Tower getting a good refurb too. It has great potential, being so central. But because it is so hidden and so 'in-the-background', it just isn't receiving the attention it needs!

Old July 9th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #11
feltip

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen View Post
... though if your waiting for wholesale redevelopment of the site then you will be waiting a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time!
Who knows. We didn't see this coming and who knows what 5 or 10 years down the line will bring.

I think even a piecemeal approach as Erebus says has potential when you see how gorgeous this refurb looks.

The way time flies an all

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #12
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 60

I think the council need to look at this site and prepare some supplementary planning guidance for this they can;t allow it to be developed piecemeal without an overall strategy in place.

The key for me is the need to cut a diagonal route through the site from Bullring to Warwick Passage / City Arcade. The footfall this would generate would create so much additional value in comparison to the current arcade passages through the site that it would compensate for the extra space required.. I'm sure i've put a plan i did for this up before but i've no idea where... i'm gonna do another on i think

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #13
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 60

Right incorporating the above plan for 79-84 High St and based on what i said in my post above here is an idea of what I think they should aim for with this site:

I've tried for a mix of unit sizes although overall they are probably a bit small.

I envision a covered mall with a nice high glass ceiling and 2nd floor gallery up the main axis between Bullring and Union Passage / Warwick Passage etc and also down to the 2nd New St entrance .

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!

Last edited by Engels; July 9th, 2008 at 10:26 PM.
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #14
feltip

I like that Engels.
Reinstates the link City Arcade had through to New Street.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old July 10th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #15
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

I think piecemeal development could be more successful here than a complete redevelopment. Eventhough it is one building, there idea of separate styles alongside each other could prove successful. Each shop could have its own individuality. It would make the whole thing a lot less dominating on the High Street and on New Street.

Of course, it would have to be done respectfully to the shops around or it could end up as a real hodge podge!

Old July 10th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #16
Joe Brody

Likes (Received): 0

I think the New St side is fine. Amazing what a clean can do, esp for the hotel. The High St bit should be improved though.
Joe Brody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #17
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

I'd say the New Street side would need work but not much. For example, the canopy should be removed and, of course, the facade needs cleaning! The High Street side desperately needs work though!

Old August 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM   #18
feltip

Planning approval for this.

Quote:
Application number
C/03582/08/FUL

Date application received
02/07/2008

Date application registered
02/07/2008

Status
Decision Made

79-84 High Street, City, Birmingham, B4 7TE

Proposal
Erection of full height, part projecting facade, removal of external canopy and increased floorspace to incorporate A1 & A2 uses at basement, ground & first floors & A1 - A5, B1(a) & D2 uses at second and third floors (A1 shops; A2 financial & professional; A3 restaurants & cafes; A4 drinking establishments; A5 hot food takeaways; B1a offices; D2 assembly & leisure)

Applicant name and address
The Wellcome Trust Ltd
215 Euston Road
London
NW1 2BE

Agent name and address
3D Reid
12 Caroline Street
Birmingham
B3 1TR

Council decision
Approve - Conditions

Decision date
21/08/2008
Conditions and Reasons:
Quote:
All building materials to be used (samples to be provided where requested by the Local Planning Authority). REASON: In order to safeguard the visual amenity of the area.

Facilities for the treatment and extraction of fumes to be provided before the occupation of the building(s). REASON: In order to safeguard the amenities of the occupiers of premises/dwelling(s) in the vicinity.

Details of servicing and delivery arrangements, to be submitted to, and approved in writing by, the Local Planning Authority. REASON: In order to secure the satisfactory development of the application site.

Details of roller shutter to the arcade and the finishes for the canopy edging abutting the proposed scheme (samples to be provided where requested by the Local Planning Authority). REASON: In order to safeguard the visual amenity of the surrounding area.

Adequate facilities are to be maintained to enable people with mobility and sensory disabilities to use the building(s), in accordance with the details indicated on the approved plans. REASON: In order to secure the satisfactory provision of facilities and access for people with mobility and sensory disabilities in accordance with the standards adopted by the Local Planning Authority.

Notwithstanding the provisions of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995, or any order revoking or re-enacting that Order, with or without modification), no structures, extensions, satellite antenna, apparatus or plant of any sort, (including structures or plant in connection with any use for telecommunications systems), are to be erected on any roof, or within the curtilage of the premises without the prior written consent of the Local Planning Authority. REASON: In order to safeguard the visual amenity of the area.

This permission relates to the details shown on Drawing Numbers 073032-D-01 D, 073032-D-02 D, 073032-D-11 D, 073032-D-12 D, 073032-D-13 D, 073032-D-14 D, 073032-D-15 D, 073032-D-16 D, 073032-D-17 C, 073032-D-18 C, 073032-D-19 C and 073032-D-20 B and shall not be altered unless otherwise agreed in writing by the Local Planning Authority. REASON: In order to define the permission.

No sound reproduction or amplification equipment (mechanical or electrical), shall be installed or used in, or adjacent to any part of the building(s) at any time for purposes of external use. REASON: In order to safeguard the amenities of the occupiers or premises/dwelling(s) to the vicinity.

The rating levels for cumulative noise from all plant and machinery shall not exceed 10dB(A) below the background level at any noise sensitive premises to the proposed development as assessed in accordance with British Standard 4142 (1997). Alternative levels and monitoring locations may be used subject to the prior approval of the Local Planning Authority. REASON: In order to safeguard the amenities of the occupiers of premises / dwelling (s) in the vicinity.

The level of the noise emanating from the entertainment premises (Leq,5min) shall be at least 10dB less than the background noise (measured in the absence of the entertainment noise) in octave bands from 63 Hz to 4 kHz at the façade of any noise sensitive premises. REASON: In order to safeguard the amenities of the occupiers of premises / dwelling (s) in the vicinity.

The development hereby permitted must be begun before the expiration of three years from the date of this permission. REASON: To comply with Section 51 of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004, (this section limits the duration of the planning approval).

Birmingham City Council grants Planning Permission subject to the condition(s) listed below. The reason for granting permission is because the development is in accordance with: Policies 3.8, 3.10, 3.11 and 3.14 of the Birmingham Unitary Development Plan 2005, Places for All (2001) and the Shopfronts Design Guide (1995) which have been adopted as Supplementary Planning Guidance.
View policies

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:59 PM   #19
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Ooh good! I forgot to comment on this application. It got through the system pretty quickly though.

Old August 21st, 2008, 08:00 PM   #20
Brummyboy92
Brummy and proud

Likes (Received): 124

Forgot all about this scheme, and it really good from my point of view!
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
birmingham, retail

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: