daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > Projects and Construction > Project News and Updates

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #1
Charging Bull

Likes (Received): 0

Southern Island Future Developments

If Integrated Resort (IR) is not built on Sentosa, this project will soon become another Super White Elephant.

Also, if they are serious about this project, people mover (LRT) extension or a bridge should be built sonnest as possible.

Singapore's Capri

Soon, Singapore will have it's very own Capri, an idyllic resort off the west coast of Italy. The plan is to transform the Southern Islands into a coastal botanical haven where people can live in harmony with nature and yet have modern conveniences such as fresh water, telecommunications and electricity.

As the Singapore Tourism Board's redevelopment consultant Mr. Bernard Spoerry envisions it, it will be a Capri without cars. To get around the raods planned for the three islands - St. John's, Lazarus and Renget - visitors and residents will probably have to use bicycles or even golf carts to travel around. Furthermore, Capri's low-rise buildings will be mirrored on this development of the Southern Islands where buildings at most would be four-storeys high.

Stressing that 80% of the islands, which now cover 88 ha, will remain untouched, the STB is confident the flora and fauna there will not be destroyed by the traffic. The tourism body has engaged the National Univeristy of Singapore to conduct a study of the island's ecological features and asses the fesibility of creating a haven forendangered species.

Reclamation work will be completed by 2002 and the resort will be ready by 2007, by then which half-a-million people a year are expected to visit the $280-million development compared to the 1,000 that the islands now attract.

In addition, the merging of these islands pave the way for the new generation of waterfront housing in Singapore with more units of housing along the sea than ever.

What's in Store

A luxury, 290-room, five-star hilltop hotel
A three-star, 170-room, beachfront hotel
70 waterfront homes
1,700 units of housing
180 shops
50 restaurants

http://library.thinkquest.org/C006891/capri.html
Charging Bull no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 25th, 2005, 08:27 AM   #2
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 43

Is this the 6-star resort that Norman Foster is working on?
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #3
Charging Bull

No, I guess you're talking about "The Knolls"

The Knolls at Sentosa is a joint venture between the Pontiac Land Group and Thai developer City Realty. Designed by legendary hotelier Robert Burns and award-winning architect Norman Foster, it will be ready in 2007 or 2008
Old March 25th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #4
Worlds of Earth
The stars beckon

There is another thread on this, I think.

Dreams of Infinity Comment please
Worlds of Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:16 AM   #5
nicholasliha
Pubescent Singaporean

part of the government's fondness for similes - "Asia's London", "Swiss style efficiency", "Central Park like New York".... is based on its nature of "rewriting and ...re-imagining" singapore's destiny as and when it needs to, as theorised in Ban Kah Choon's essay "Narrating Imagination". Singapore's existence is thus eked out more figuratively in the psychological sense than in the physical reality of things.

"Others are absolutely free; Singaporeans are absolutely not. Freedom is elsewhere." - Simon SC Tay, chairman of the Singapore Institute of International Affairs
nicholasliha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 02:20 AM   #6
RafflesCity
By Spirit

oh well I never heard of this Capri project but it has potential hopefully, as Singapore is trying to increase hotel supply to cope with increased visitor arrivals. They should strive to offer the full range of accomodation. From budget to 6-star and in different locations.
Old March 26th, 2005, 10:24 AM   #7
Worlds of Earth
The stars beckon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasliha
part of the government's fondness for similes - "Asia's London", "Swiss style efficiency", "Central Park like New York".... is based on its nature of "rewriting and ...re-imagining" singapore's destiny as and when it needs to, as theorised in Ban Kah Choon's essay "Narrating Imagination". Singapore's existence is thus eked out more figuratively in the psychological sense than in the physical reality of things.
Perhaps concrete markers are required to stimulate the imaginations of stodgy Singaporeans.

Dreams of Infinity Comment please
Worlds of Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:50 AM   #8
ahlipp

...THE SOUTHERN ISLANDS...an idyllic rseort, a coastal botanical haven where people can live in harmony with nature, includes water front homes and sea sports facilities.

....the perfect getaway for yuppies, an adventure for families and beach lovers and for those who fear not the TSUNAMIs
ahlipp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 06:04 AM   #9
Charging Bull

Understand that there will be a new hilltop hotel at Lazarus Island, should be safe to stay there. But...... still can be killed if the hotel is hit by landslide.

When time is up, need to go will have to go.
Old March 29th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #10
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 12

I have a feeling it'll be too exclusive to make any difference in our lives when complete.
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #11
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 3

On the sister's islands? So how wil the main form of commute be? Sailing boats?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 04:08 AM   #12
ZXAVIER
ZXAVIER

Southern Island future development??

With its great focus on Integrated Resorts, Sentosa, and other important things that warrant greater attention, I was wondering what is in store for the Southern Island.

I remembered reading many years ago when the Govt announced its vision to re-develop Southern Islands with Sentosa into world-class destination and for this Southern Islands, it would possibly emulate Venice-style or Suzhou-style with many pedestrian bridge with interesting architecture joining Kusu Island, Sisters' Island, and nearby islands. And people could move around in the golf carter moving from one island to others while river taxi would ferry inhabitants/visitors from Singapore River point to anyone of the islands. But now, with the coming of IR, would the prospect of turning these islands into these once-envisioned development be possible as it would definitely duplicate/rival with IR?

Anyone knows the news about the devt of Southern Islands?

And I remembered seeing one of the posters at URA Gallery that S'pore is thinking of introducing MRT from P. Ubin to P. Tekong which obviously is not feasible as well. But I am curious of what the govt has any plans for P. Tekong or P. Ubin?

ZXAVIER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 06:15 AM   #13
ZXAVIER
ZXAVIER

So in that case, where is the govt's follow-up plan to redevelop Southern Islands which keep many of us wondering what is the next?

If the plan to bring in Disneyland or even British Cambridge University campus to Johore does really materialise or with the threat of Bangkok's new airport terminal to be completed in 2006 (not sure of the targetted date), would the redevelopment of the Southern Island continue to push Singapore into the new frontier again just like the Singapore's IR has done to push it forward leaps and bounds.

Old June 10th, 2005, 10:04 AM   #14
RafflesCity
By Spirit

I thought the Sentosa IR would be integrated with Southern Islands?

I remember the Southern Islands being used as a factor when they were expanding on the possibilities
Old June 15th, 2005, 05:22 AM   #15
ZXAVIER
ZXAVIER

How nice if we can use the Southern Island to reclaim into Merlion shaped lion island, rivalling Dubai's GRANDEUR PLAN to build Traveller Palm shaped islands, and World Map where celebrity can buy his/her favorurite countries.

Old June 15th, 2005, 05:36 AM   #16
hyacinthus
Success and Happiness

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXAVIER
How nice if we can use the Southern Island to reclaim into Merlion shaped lion island, rivalling Dubai's GRANDEUR PLAN to build Traveller Palm shaped islands, and World Map where celebrity can buy his/her favourite countries.

that's a dream, I supposed?
hyacinthus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 05:53 AM   #17
ZXAVIER
ZXAVIER

Of course and if we do that, we can attract Noan Arks' ships containing millions of pirates to rob the tourists since Malacca Strait is one of the dangerous place for the ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinthus
that's a dream, I supposed?
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #18
rark
rocks

lets build the tallest merlion skyscraper on the merlion islands
Old June 15th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #19
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXAVIER
How nice if we can use the Southern Island to reclaim into Merlion shaped lion island, rivalling Dubai's GRANDEUR PLAN to build Traveller Palm shaped islands, and World Map where celebrity can buy his/her favorurite countries.

sounds great..but I think Bahrain is already doing that..they are reclaiming a sea-horse shaped island! Besides..we have Sentosa Cove for the moment.
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:08 AM   #20
ZXAVIER
ZXAVIER

Oh, i did not know about it. but it does not leave a good possibility to reclaim merlion-shaped island since southern islands are clustered here and there and could pose a possible hindrance to the shipping lines...and the water is not really fantastic..it has to be substantial in this sense, whereby, it can have a nice resort or villa with bountiful of water sports and it would be much better if the surrounding area is blessed with natural features like coral gardens, myraids of fishes...something like that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafflesCity
sounds great..but I think Bahrain is already doing that..they are reclaiming a sea-horse shaped island! Besides..we have Sentosa Cove for the moment.