daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Western Australia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2014, 04:28 AM   #10101
DiamondBob

Likes (Received): 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCG View Post
So how deep is the inlet going to be? Is this it or is there going to be another layer down?
I think the base of the inlet is going to be something like -2.5m AHD.
DiamondBob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 29th, 2014, 04:28 AM   #10102
2nd gen 7

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline Art View Post
Looks weird and expensive.

btw is this another joke?
The tender for the contract (D&C) was released last year, not sure if it got scraped or not.
2nd gen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 04:54 AM   #10103
Zeefox

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondBob View Post
I think the base of the inlet is going to be something like -2.5m AHD.
'It will be 2.5m deep'

There, saved you 10 words.
Zeefox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 04:57 AM   #10104
jackso

Likes (Received): 1184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeefox View Post
There, I just saved you 10 words.

Scrawny, Urbicus, hayds, vic-k liked this post
jackso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 05:06 AM   #10105
DiamondBob

Quote:
'It will be 2.5m deep'

Except...

1: I am not certain of the exact level of the inlet base
2: if it is at -2.5m AHD, that doesn't mean the depth is 2.5m. The inlet surface level will vary depending on tides, wind, etc.

Hence, your shortening of my sentence makes it incorrect.

Eastern37 liked this post
Old October 29th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #10106
vandermast

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
'It will be 2.5m deep

I guess that rules out diving from the proposed chevron building.

thewallpart6 liked this post
vandermast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 05:39 AM   #10107
hack404

Likes (Received): 440

Maybe with a parachute.
Old October 29th, 2014, 06:44 AM   #10108
PD
perthistan

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
'It will be 2.5m deep'

Taking it to a new level that even makes grammar nazis not look like douches since 29 October 2014.

vic-k liked this post
PD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 08:27 AM   #10109
DiamondBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCG View Post
So how deep is the inlet going to be? Is this it or is there going to be another layer down?
From my sources the base of the fascia panels shown is at -0.9m AHD, so the inlet is deeper around 1.6m deeper.
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:28 AM   #10110
Zeefox

Likes (Received): 36

I was actually trying to be tongue in cheek, but internets.
Zeefox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #10111
DiamondBob

it's ok to admit you didn't understand levels below sea level. A lot of people struggle with it.

hayds liked this post
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM   #10112
gafonem

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipggi View Post
You're right and I think that problem has already well and truly entrenched itself in our society. You cannot publicly say anything negative about WW1/2 Australian veterans without earning the ire of the general public.

[rant]The Gallipoli mythos is a primary example. We rarely hear about the Turkish, whose Ottoman Empire was considered the basket-case of Europe. But who kicked the world's leading superpower butt defending their homeland from a British Empire global invasion force at Gallipoli. That it was considered a defining moment for modern Turkey. All we are feed are stories of the 'brave' diggers who stood their ground in impossible circumstances lead by incompetent British officers (mostly myth). We also never hear of the British casualties, that were 4 times higher than ours, the French that were equal to the Australians. Or the soldiers from India and Newfoundland who also fought in the same circumstances and died at the battle.[/rant]

Safe to say it will make no mention of the Australian Army 8th Division deserting their posts in Singapore in WW2. Wonder if Lieutenant-General Gordon Bennett will be honoured for his desertion skills...or will they acknowledge the fact that Gallipoli was a comedy of errors resulting in a landing in the wrong place leading to the slaughter or many AU and NZ troops...best to glorify that than honestly evaluate it hey. War museums are nothing more than a place where history is re-written or selectively massaged.
gafonem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM   #10113
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Likes (Received): 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafonem View Post
Safe to say it will make no mention of the Australian Army 8th Division deserting their posts in Singapore in WW2. Wonder if Lieutenant-General Gordon Bennett will be honoured for his desertion skills...or will they acknowledge the fact that Gallipoli was a comedy of errors resulting in a landing in the wrong place leading to the slaughter or many AU and NZ troops...best to glorify that than honestly evaluate it hey. War museums are nothing more than a place where history is re-written or selectively massaged.
i kind of hope war museums and the like were more honest and more brutal so we don't glorify fighting and people might be a little more hesitant in wanting to go to war with any country that doesn't speak english.

A video of my month long travel in the GMT Zones +8 and +9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESV_t0Z12EE
docker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM   #10114
DiamondBob

Unfortunately like the "tough on crime" line, politicians also like getting involved in war especially when they are struggling to distract whilst attempting to look tough & principled.
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM   #10115
crave
fierce buildings papi.

Likes (Received): 584

brutality depictions won't deter people from war...

tha serenity and sleekness of war museums and memorials don't glorify wars imo... it's not about whether war is being glorified or not either... unless you're one of tha many countries that has been invaded and had someone try to destroy and kill your people, you can be forgiven for wanting to glorify your defeat of your enemy.

It's by sheer luck and location, that Australians are sheltered from tha realities of war and despair of tha rest of the world and will never grasp it completely... nor experience it ever.
Old Today, 03:38 AM   #10116
KidNeStonez

Likes (Received): 71

Any chance one of our City Square or Central Park regulars could post a shot from there please? We've not had one for a while.

I miss the view since I stopped working at Central Park!
KidNeStonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:07 AM   #10117
Ipggi
Here

Likes (Received): 241

A shared common identity is a great way for politicians to manipulate and distract people with. Politicians here have a hard time in doing that though. As we don't have a distinct national language of our own. Nor do we obsessively share in a single religion. The country wasn't born from a war of independence or revolution. And we are not of a single race of people nor share the same history. I think Australian politicians love to glorify historical accounts of war to sow the seeds of national identity. As they don't have much else to work with.

It wasn't that long ago that Australia Day and nationalism in general was mocked as a joke while ANZAC day was a holiday that no one except ex-service personal paid attention to.
Old Today, 06:11 AM   #10118
olio gris

Likes (Received): 67

Howard did as much as he could to take the country into that direction, and did succeed to a degree (southern cross tats inked in Bali and plastic Australian flags made in China will probably be his longest-lasting legacies).

In a 'new' modern multicultural state like Australia, the primary reason to bring people together defend the country is to protect freedoms on the one hand and our social democratic institutions on the other. Preserving those is largely antithetical to the conservative/neoliberal project, which is what attracts conservatives to culture war - the need to come up with an alternative reason for the state to exist (ie to defend the single 'Australian identity' from being undermined by 'outsiders').
olio gris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:57 AM   #10119
Urbania
Urban Athiest

Likes (Received): 883

Move it to spam people.

kricket1982, Dilaz89 liked this post
Urbania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:32 PM   #10120
ipaddicted
ISO 160

Likes (Received): 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipggi View Post
A shared common identity is a great way for politicians to manipulate and distract people with. Politicians here have a hard time in doing that though. As we don't have a distinct national language of our own. Nor do we obsessively share in a single religion. The country wasn't born from a war of independence or revolution. And we are not of a single race of people nor share the same history. I think Australian politicians love to glorify historical accounts of war to sow the seeds of national identity. As they don't have much else to work with.
I wish this wasn't so true.

Tags
mandurahboyz, monarch, perth