daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area > Skyway Lounge

Skyway Lounge Discussions about the Tampa Bay area community.... news, nightlife, attractions, sports, events, etc.

Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 394

2013 for the Tampa Bay area

It's a new year and things are looking positive for the whole region. Although nothing huge was announced or happened in 2012, many mid range developments came along. Tampa saw additional funding for the Riverwalk as other portions were completed, the old courthouse was put up for bid and a luxury hotel will fill it in, and Encore opened one building while two others broke ground at the end of the year. St. Petersburg also saw action with numerous apartment projects breaking ground and approved around the city.

So, what will 2013 bring for the region?

Tampa:
- The Riverwalk will start construction of the portion that connects MacDill Park to Curtis Hixon and the portion from Straz to Seminole Heights.
- UT will complete the Lacrosse Field and will break ground on 3 other developments; the parking garage expansion, a building for more classes, and maybe another student dorm building.
- The Southgate project (office and hotel development) will break ground. Likely with the office being built first.
- The old courthouse will be under renovation.
- The Intown Apartment tower will break ground.
- Encore will break ground on the remaining residential building and maybe on the grocery store.
- The Martin will break ground in Channelside.
- The Pierhouse Apartments will open in Channelside.
- Tampa will see more than just one 25 stories+ tower proposed for downtown.
- Soccer stadium breaks ground in Channelside?
- Westshore will see additional office space break ground. Maybe another hotel and two or three residential projects.

St. Petersburg:
- The city will be adding hundreds of residential units this year and breaking ground on likely hundreds of more this year.
- Sadly, the Lens will likely go forward.
- Two hotels will be proposed for downtown.
- That medical research complex for John Hopkins will move forward and break ground.

Other items of interest:
- The Pinellas Transit referendum will move forward.
- The legislation to allow cities to raise their own sales tax through a city referendum will likely be allowed to have it's time in the House and Senate. Outcome is unknown, but I feel like they might pass it.

Sponsored Links

Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:31 PM   #2
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 124

Mike, you forgot Epicurion & the apartments on Bayshore. And they are both totally under way. As for some of the others, I'm not so sure, especially the Martin & Southgate.
Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:39 PM   #3
miketpa

Likes (Received): 2

I don't have much hope for the SouthGate tower. I think the Downtown area will continue with a slow, steady progression of a few 4-10 story buildings. I think a grocer will finally wake up and realize there are thousands of people there with no grocery story and build something. Hoping something finally happens on the ground floor of the Kress block (not holding my breath though). Hopefully at least 20+ breaks ground during the year.
On a related note, the state DOT will realize they need to alleviate traffic on 275 so they will turn Cypress into a one way, 45mph speed limit death trap to mirror FL and Tampa streets.
miketpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #4
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Mayberry View Post
Mike, you forgot Epicurion & the apartments on Bayshore. And they are both totally under way. As for some of the others, I'm not so sure, especially the Martin & Southgate.
I'm going off the reports that some residential projects that were halted during the recession are being put back on the table. The Martin is one that seems most likely, it's one of the closest projects that has seen any activity lately and is proposed by a group that already has property in the vicinity.

Southgate will have to be a wait and tell game in the next month or two. I believe it was this month that it's suppose to break ground.
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #5
Jahi98

Likes (Received): 47

We should also see The Shops of St. Pete start construction along with tenant announcements.
Old January 4th, 2013, 06:15 AM   #6
soholivin

Likes (Received): 1

post soho square
soholivin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #7
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Likes (Received): 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketpa View Post
I don't have much hope for the SouthGate tower. I think the Downtown area will continue with a slow, steady progression of a few 4-10 story buildings. I think a grocer will finally wake up and realize there are thousands of people there with no grocery story and build something. Hoping something finally happens on the ground floor of the Kress block (not holding my breath though). Hopefully at least 20+ breaks ground during the year.
On a related note, the state DOT will realize they need to alleviate traffic on 275 so they will turn Cypress into a one way, 45mph speed limit death trap to mirror FL and Tampa streets.
I think eventually, once the I-275 expansion through Westshore is complete (2016-2017), they will eventually build the off-ramps (half diamond exit) to North Boulevard to alleviate congestion. Notice how there's a ghost ramp on the NB side prior to the river?
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #8
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Likes (Received): 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
Other items of interest:
- The Pinellas Transit referendum will move forward.
- The legislation to allow cities to raise their own sales tax through a city referendum will likely be allowed to have it's time in the House and Senate. Outcome is unknown, but I feel like they might pass it.
The transit referendum in Pinellas will definitely move forward. I agree. Especially if CTB continues to pick up support like they have.

Fat chance on the sales tax thing though as long as Ticky Rick is in office. Even if the measure gains support and passes the legislature, Tricky Rick will most likely have his veto pen out and ready.
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote