daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Getting one
will definitely get one 8 5.93%
might get one 13 9.63%
probably won't 25 18.52%
definitely not 89 65.93%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 19th, 2015, 07:22 AM   #81
snapdragon

Likes (Received): 368

I find it over priced so no

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2015, 02:33 PM   #82
jcage

Likes (Received): 2

It is very pricy and useless, as for me..
jcage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #83
hakanikili

Likes (Received): 3

In my opinion it is a little big expensive.
hakanikili no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 07:04 PM   #84
DaiTengu
SSC System Administrator

Likes (Received): 984

I broke down and bought the Samsung Gear S last week. I'm enjoying it so far. I love the notifications, and the fact that I don't actually need to have my phone with me to text. And there's quite a few apps out there for it, now. I need to play with it some more.

Spaceholder - DaiTengu.com | My Google+ page | DaiTengu on Twitter | DaiTengu on About.me
DaiTengu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 02:10 AM   #85
desiyogi
How I met your Sister

Likes (Received): 3619

Quite over priced for the features.

This seems like one of the ideas the late Steve Jobs
put on the backburner.
Old May 19th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #86
tosic

Likes (Received): 240

Just ordered mine, but will have to wait till late June to get it
tosic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 03:51 AM   #87
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10215

I was getting my glasses fixed yesterday and while it took an hour to get it done, I went to a nearby mall to pass the time. Went to the Apple store where they had plenty of watches on display and demo. I guess if you use the voice command, it could be kind of useful (although it doesn't do anything a smartphone can't) but I couldn't imagine touching such a tiny screen. The apps on the main screen themselves are very difficult to hit.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 11:39 AM   #88
kokoa
Erythrina Crista-Galli

Likes (Received): 1453

No, I won't, not for those prices anyway.

Instead I bought myself a GV18 Aplus for $36 us dollars that have all the goodies as the Apple overpriced smart watch plus IT IS A PHONE by itself, I can dial and make a call from it and receive calls and send text messages without having a mobile phone around.

I don't need to carry my mobile phone with me anymore, it is really good for my needs and for just $36 dollars is a no-brainer. What else you can ask for this little money, I'm very happy with it and does everything as advertised.
As the technology develops I'll in the future upgrade to a full fledged Android smart watch with everything as a mobile phone is having inbuilt today, GPS, WiFi, etc. of course the display always will be small to be wearable but who knows what they will invent in the future.

Apple phone only for Apple people who can afford to trow money away.

Huti liked this post
kokoa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 12:16 PM   #89
Harkonnen
Passionate coffee fanatic

Likes (Received): 322

mine:

World 2 World, kokoa, desiyogi, AltinD, Smedju and 1 others liked this post
Harkonnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 12:32 PM   #90
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 4301

World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #91
Muhamad Taufiq

Likes (Received): 48

No, I don't use a watch and don't see the need for it.
Muhamad Taufiq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 12:28 AM   #92
Huti
bitte spiel mir etwas

Likes (Received): 19976

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoa View Post
No, I won't, not for those prices anyway.

Instead I bought myself a GV18 Aplus for $36 us dollars that have all the goodies as the Apple overpriced smart watch plus IT IS A PHONE by itself, I can dial and make a call from it and receive calls and send text messages without having a mobile phone around.

I don't need to carry my mobile phone with me anymore, it is really good for my needs and for just $36 dollars is a no-brainer. What else you can ask for this little money, I'm very happy with it and does everything as advertised.
As the technology develops I'll in the future upgrade to a full fledged Android smart watch with everything as a mobile phone is having inbuilt today, GPS, WiFi, etc. of course the display always will be small to be wearable but who knows what they will invent in the future.

Apple phone only for Apple people who can afford to trow money away.
cute watch. Reminds me of my Casios when I was younger. Is it robust?

Zaz965 liked this post
Huti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 03:02 AM   #93
kokoa
Erythrina Crista-Galli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huti View Post
cute watch. Reminds me of my Casios when I was younger. Is it robust?
Actually is pretty good for the price but if you're thinking to wet it, forget it. Is not waterproof at all as they claim.
The main thing is that apart from that it does all what promises to do, and it does well. I'm happy with it and if something goes wrong or knock it against the wall or something similar it will not be a drama, and that is enough for me. Other people may prefer something more expensive to give them status...maybe something like an Apple smart watch?...but not me. I like technology but I'm not an extremist fanatic to pay for something that should cost a quarter of the price they are asking for. Thanks to the Chinese, we, simple mortals like myself can flirt with affordable technology.
Old May 26th, 2015, 03:12 AM   #94
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8938

Apple Watch: will you get one?

YES! Tim Cook said I need one and I trust him.
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 04:43 AM   #95
Tokei
~

Likes (Received): 2704

I'm fan of mechanical watches for a reason, so probably I wont get any of these watches.
Tokei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:14 AM   #96
kokoa
Erythrina Crista-Galli

These are not just watches, but a mini computer in your wrist, and I think this is the future no only to wear a wrist watch to see what time is, but a tool to do many things in one device that we can only imagine their potential at this stage.

Mechanical watches were great pieces of mechanical ingenious and some were really pieces of art, but that now belongs to the past, we can't stop progress..
Old May 28th, 2015, 03:23 AM   #97
Tokei
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoa View Post
These are not just watches, but a mini computer in your wrist, and I think this is the future no only to wear a wrist watch to see what time is, but a tool to do many things in one device that we can only imagine their potential at this stage.
While I think there may be a market for these watches (which I welcome because they look futuristic), I don't think they are a replacement. A phone will always be able to do more than these watches will ever do, and cell phones won't disappear... The tendency for phones has been to get larger screens to enjoy media and internet tools... I don't see the majority of people switching to small devices for this reason IMO (at least as a replacement).

Quote:
Mechanical watches were great pieces of mechanical ingenious and some were really pieces of art, but that now belongs to the past, we can't stop progress..
In your opinion maybe.

Mechanical watches are also evolving (mechanically). Many people still prefeer mechanical watches, included the cheap ones (see the Seiko 5 for instance), for a reason, I don't see how's that a way to attempt stopping progress. As long as something has a place in the market, it isn't a thing of the past.

And when LCD, and quartz watches appeared in the market, people said as well that mechanical watches were going to become a thing of the past. It turned out in the end that those that made the electronic watches (the Japanese) started doing mechanical ones as well (and quite good).

Last edited by Tokei; May 28th, 2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old May 28th, 2015, 09:11 AM   #98
kokoa
Erythrina Crista-Galli

That's true and for a while it still going, people still keep on buying them, but I think it will come to an end with these new gadgets that are becoming cheaper as the time pass, they can do a lot more than just give the time and the date.

Think of the things everyone can do right now, everyone will need to wear them in the future in order to communicate, record transactions, make payments, tracking your location, identification, access to buildings, office, homes, controlling things remotely not to mention to give you the time/date but also listen the radio, watching TV, news, sport, alerts, emergencies..etc, etc, etc. For all that you will have to wear them all the time, so wearing them makes sense and a necessity.

We are going the way to become a cashless society, it will replace all your credit cards for payments, id cards, driving license and whatever card you are carrying in your wallet at this moment even the photos and videos of your loved ones. Will be with you all the time as it were an extension of your body, it is no doubt the prelude to an implanted chip as your pet have now, in the future this gadget is a rough transition to that end.

Yes, no doubt, we will be controlled and observed all the time, we like it or not. Unfortunately this is only the beginning, so is better to start to get used to them. Therefore to be in tune I bought one for myself.

...but not the fancy Apple watch, too expensive, a cheaper one will do.

Last edited by kokoa; May 28th, 2015 at 09:23 AM.
kokoa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:27 PM   #99
Tokei
~

Well, now you are saying "you think" mechanical watches are going to disappear. I'm fine with your statement as long as you give it as an opinion. I just don't think that'll be the case even if smart watches got widespread, because what appeal to those that buy mechanical watches it isn't disappearing and as I said it's enjoying its own evolution.

As for the usefulness of these smart watches, I'm not completely closed to the idea you are presenting, and I also think they could have a use. But I think that as long as people enjoy media or tools that require a decent screen size I don't think they will be a replacement of phones. Almost all that use you are describing can be done with a phone already, even almost the tracking chip thing :p

Last edited by Tokei; May 28th, 2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old May 28th, 2015, 01:15 PM   #100
Smedju
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1399

Hell no. One of the most stupid product.
Smedju no está en línea   Reply With Quote