search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Skylines and Photography > Photographia

Photographia Hints, tips and general photographic know-how

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 8th, 2014, 12:28 PM   #461
Medo

Likes (Received): 468

You should go for it, FX lenses work great on DX cameras, there are no issues at all. So the 70-300mm would translate to 105-450mm on a DX sensor, i.e. 1.5 times more zoom.
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2015, 09:42 PM   #462
ElectroSoldier

Likes (Received): 256

Is that true for all lenses on crop sensors?

I mean a Canon 550D or 7D both have crop sensors, they can take the Canon 18-55mm lens, when its on them its focal length is actually 24-74mm but on a full frame camera like a 5D its 18-55mm?
ElectroSoldier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #463
Union Man
Interstellar

Likes (Received): 3193

Hello,

Can anyone point me in the right direction to a good DSLR?

This would be my first DSLR, my current camera is a simple Nikon Coolpix L810. I have a budget of £500 and the primary usage of the camera will be of buildings and natural landscapes etc.
Union Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 05:22 PM   #464
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

I'd go with the Canon 700D right now. The standard kit lens is fine, but you will probably want a supplementary zoom to go with it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EOS-70...&keywords=dslr

You can get this 75 - 300mm lens for £78. That only takes you a little over budget. If you look around you might be able to find a bundle deal with two lenses.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-75-300...&keywords=dslr

Two other cheap canon lenses to keep in mind. The 50mm 1.8 prime is good, especially if you do some people pictures. £72.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-50-...&keywords=dslr

Also keep in mind the 10-18mm wide angle canon lens. It's the cheapest good quality wide angle lens you can find, much better than the standard canon 50mm kit lens in that camera bundle, at the wide end. (i.e. at 18mm). Its a very good lens for architecture, but is probably a future purchase once you have a handle on your DSLR at £229.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-S-1...ide+angle+lens

Union Man liked this post
Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 05:24 PM   #465
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Oh, and if the 700D with two lenses is a little over budget, look out for the 650D or 600D in stock clearance. There's very little between them.
Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #466
ElectroSoldier

If you go for the 75 - 300mm do not get that one. the one to get is the Ultrasonic USM lens.
I had the older cheaper version without USM, its loud, takes ages to focus and sometimes cant focus at all, the USM is faster quieter and Ive never had a problem with its focus.
It was a worthy upgrade.

The 50mm prime is a good call, good in most situations, better on a full frame camera like a 5D, but even a 1.6x crop will be a good lens, I use a 1.2 myself but 1.8 is just as good in most cases for what we want.
the 10-18 I couldnt say. Never used one.

If youre looking at keeping the budget but want a body and a couple of lenses then the 550D is still worth looking at, its still a good DSLR even today, it does most all what you will want and if you go for a used one you could get the camera, and maybe even all 3 lenses for the price of the 700D.

Worth looking at if nothing else.

Union Man liked this post
Old March 14th, 2015, 01:33 AM   #467
eighty4

Likes (Received): 258

Hey so i'm kinda stuck on what yo buy at the moment.

I have a Nikon D90 and would like to replace it with either the D5500 or D7100. I've already ruled out the D7200 since it costs $800 more than the 7100 and the features are mainly stuff I wouldnt use, like wifi.

d5500

pro's
small, light, same image quality as d7100.

cons
95% view finder (d90 96%, d7100 100%) less direct buttons so have to rely on the touch screen. Doesn't have a focus motor so my 50mm f1.8 wont have auto-focus.

D7100

pro's
better viewfinder, top lcd display, direct buttons to each action, works with all lenses.

cons
heavier/bigger

There's also the fact that I mostly use a compact (sony rx100ii) and my dslr is mainly for holidays and nightshots. The thing that has put my off taking my d90 out in recent years is the weight of the thing.

So hears a question: do you spend roughly the same amount of money on a camera you use a few weeks a year that's either...heavier/bulkier but does everything you need, or but one that does most of the things you need but is lighter and easy to move about (but is less intuitive to use).

Also does anyone have an experience of using the D5** line of camera's? and are they really as annoying to use as people have made out to me lol

Thanks
Old July 24th, 2016, 02:04 AM   #468
PellicanoItalico
BANNED

Likes (Received): 29

Guys what do you think of the new Canon 11-24mm f/4 ?
PellicanoItalico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2016, 07:44 AM   #469
ElectroSoldier

Only used it in the shop I saw it in (LCE London then a better look at it in LCE Southampton).
Its very clear, F/4 is as fast as it needs to be because the 11-24 ranger is so close, on my 5DSR the few photos I took are ultra sharp (on tripod), at 11mm its close, damn close very very wide up close, 24mm end is not unlike an 18mm on a crop sensor.
On my 7DII its a nice lens very clear but the crop sensor changes the range of the lens, it seems very sharp in the center all the way to the edges, but I was only looking at it in a shop.

11-24 is a very limited and close range, f/4 isnt very wide for an aperture at the kind of distances you will be using it at on anything but a high res camara like a 5DSR (5DSR can stay wide and still capture details in the background, which will be there because its f/4... close it down for more clarity).

Over all I thought it nice but didnt buy and I wont be buying one. I prefered the Otis 55mm, it was the same price and a more usable range for me at 55mm and it being f/1.4 Ive gotten some nice bokah to make my subject stand out more. It being manual only adds to the fun and its not the same as manual on a zoom lens anyway, its much more suited to manual focus with a very smooth focus ring.

Overall I cant say anything against the 11-24, its just not in the range i like to shoot, but if that range is what you want then go for it, you shouldnt be disappointed.
Old September 15th, 2016, 10:56 AM   #470
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 1481

Need some advice from anyone that can help.

Recently fallen in love with Long exposure photography. But so far I've only tried it at night and been quite successful with light trails etc. My question is, Can I apply the same principles (tripod, low shutter speed) during the day to capture images like the one below?

Or is this impossible without buying filters??

Old September 17th, 2016, 10:34 AM   #471
ElectroSoldier

Depends on the desired result.
Try a slower shutter speed than the ISO/aperture usually allows for the given light level.
Old September 24th, 2016, 04:57 PM   #472
djfusion777

Likes (Received): 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureau des etrangers View Post
My question is, Can I apply the same principles (tripod, low shutter speed) during the day to capture images like the one below?

Or is this impossible without buying filters??
Ideally you want some Neutral Density (ND) filters. This will allow you to use a longer shutter speed without the image being over-exposed.

You can get some great effects when shooting water with a strong ND filter (like 10 stops), particularly at coasts/estuaries.
djfusion777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 12:48 AM   #473
ElectroSoldier

An ND filter will remove movement from water, it will soften it up, remove the ripples and waves to make a cushion.

A fast shutter speed will freeze the people, make it look like they are not moving at all. A slower speed will capture a blur of light as the people move.

I would say play with your shutter speed ISO and aperture before you but any ND filters.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: